Check In Questions

Spurs Fans

I can’t find the answer to these questions on the board but I’m sure they are there somewhere, but I’ll ask. 

We’ve never done online check in for a cruise before.  We are approaching check in date for our Summit cruise in August. 

1. Does check in begin at 12:01 am of the date given to check in? 
2. Does checking in early that morning give a better choice for what your boarding time will be? (We are not in a suite or higher classification category like Aqua, etc. 

3. Do we need to have our passports handy or other documentation to check in? 

Thanks very much! 

Most of the time it seems to be 12:01 in the time zone the ship departs from.  You can do the identification stuff later if you use the app, but it was so easy you might as well do it.

My last time checking in (Solstice), I did it about three hours after it opened, but we had friends that did it later in the day and all the time slots were still available.

Edited by Mark_K

Yes, it usually opens about midnight on that date (some have experienced that is midnight easter time others have experienced it is midnight in the time zone of the port of embarkation).

The earlier you check in, the better check-in time at the port but it's not necessary to do it exactly at midnight to get a good time.

Eventually you need passports, credit cards, etc. to complete the check-in but you can skip to the step to snag a time (make sure to do it for each person in your party) and come back to fill in the rest.  Just remember to go back and fill in the rest before your cruise.  Online check-in usually closes about 3 days before your cruise.

1 hour ago, prmssk said:

Yes, it usually opens about midnight on that date (some have experienced that is midnight easter time others have experienced it is midnight in the time zone of the port of embarkation).

The earlier you check in, the better check-in time at the port but it's not necessary to do it exactly at midnight to get a good time.

Eventually you need passports, credit cards, etc. to complete the check-in but you can skip to the step to snag a time (make sure to do it for each person in your party) and come back to fill in the rest.  Just remember to go back and fill in the rest before your cruise.  Online check-in usually closes about 3 days before your cruise.

3 hours ago, Spurs Fans said:

2. Does checking in early that morning give a better choice for what your boarding time will be? (We are not in a suite or higher classification category like Aqua, etc. 

You do not pick a "boarding time".  What you select when you check in is the time to arrive at the terinal to being processing to board the ship.  The time boarding starts depends on what time all the passengers from the previous cruise have left the ship and Boarder and Customs tells the ship they can being boarding passengers for the next cruise.  

Once cleared to being boarding it will go by Suits & Zenith and then other passengers.  

9 hours ago, Spurs Fans said:

I can’t find the answer to these questions on the board but I’m sure they are there somewhere, but I’ll ask. 

We’ve never done online check in for a cruise before.  We are approaching check in date for our Summit cruise in August. 

1. Does check in begin at 12:01 am of the date given to check in? 

3. Do we need to have our passports handy or other documentation to check in? 

Thanks very much! 

1.) Yes

2.) You pick an arrival  time, not a boarding time. Regardless, it does increase your chances of getting on earlier if you pick an early time slot. The time you're on the ship is entirely dependent on how many passengers sign up for slots ahead of you, what time the passengers from the previous cruise leave the ship for Turnaround Day (terminal cleaning of the ship), and staffing for that day.

3.) No, you can finish the paperwork and whatnot at a later time.  As long as you have the arrival time for the port selected (which is the first step), you can log out and edit the rest later.  Also, one person can do it for anyone that you're traveling with.  Many times this is my part of the pre-cruise process and I can get all 4 of us done in one sitting.

For what it's worth, the Summit is a great ship.  I booked for a second time in October, my first was before her recent remodel.  She's one of the smaller ships, but certainly has her share of interesting acts (there was a Silks act onboard when we went).

Edited by broadwaybaby123
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

Also, one person can do it for anyone that you're traveling with.  Many times this is my part of the pre-cruise process and I can get all 4 of us done in one sitting.

It sounds like you can check in multiple linked cabins simultaneously?  My regular cruise line (Disney) requires me to check in one cabin at a time whether linked or not.

5 hours ago, bigAWL said:

It sounds like you can check in multiple linked cabins simultaneously?  My regular cruise line (Disney) requires me to check in one cabin at a time whether linked or not.

Yes, make sure you have all their reservation numbers and link them ahead of time in the app.  This also allows you to book dining and shore excursions for multiple cabins at the same time.  Note, you do have access to all their information when you link cabins which could be an issue if these are people you aren't really close to.  (There was another thread about how hard it is to unlink cabins if you decide later you don't want all that access.)

17 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Once cleared to being boarding it will go by Suits & Zenith and then other passengers.  

On our last cruise  ( Jan. 2023 ) once Zenith and Suites were called they moved on to Aqua class which surprised and thrilled us. We were quick to jump to our feet!  They also called Blu Chip which caused a massive rush as many were on the free cruise deal.

22 hours ago, prmssk said:

Yes, make sure you have all their reservation numbers and link them ahead of time in the app.  This also allows you to book dining and shore excursions for multiple cabins at the same time.  Note, you do have access to all their information when you link cabins which could be an issue if these are people you aren't really close to.  (There was another thread about how hard it is to unlink cabins if you decide later you don't want all that access.)

Thanks!  We're all family, so no privacy concerns.

I can already book excursions and dining for everyone, so I guess I'm all ready to take care of check-in when the time comes.

• 4 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Soooo… Check-In is midnight :01 on the date given for your cruise - but what time zone??  Is it the departure port time zone ?  Or the East Coast USA time zone (as some have mentioned)??

It may vary but my experience has been that it is based on Departure Port.     I logged on at 5:00 PM PDT for a cruise departing Reykjavik  which is Midnight Reykjavik time and was able to select a checkin time.

Out of an abundance of caution you could always try the earliest time and if not available then check back Miami time.

• Thanks 1

I checked in about 3 days after the official check in date and received the time of my choice. This was for Port Everglades.   So there may not be a need to stay up late to do so.