Manfredis

gailellen12

I checked my Viking Journey under dining. I looked at Manfredis was was notified that because of my cabin category dining reservations could not be made. 😏Can I reserve a spot once onboard? Is Manfredis complimentary and open to all onboard?  My cruise isn’t until 2024 so it is still a ways off   Thanks

You must be in a Veranda stateroom.  No worries, make reservations as soon as you board.  Reservations are usually taken at the desk in the entrance to both restaurants on Deck 1 on the first day.  After that the desk at the portside entrance to World Cafe on Deck 7 will have a person making reservations.  Both Manfredi's and Chefs Table are no charge and open to all guests.

Final word for you - don't sweat it.  You'll be able to book reservations when you get on board, and during the trip too, as people cancel a lot!  We've always booked ours onboard and never had an issue unless you wanted 7;00-7:30 rush hour slots.

• Like 4

It’s too early for anyone to be able to make reservations for anything. All dining is included in your cruise fare, but Manfredis and The Chef’s Table require reservations.

Your cruise contract should tell you the date when you can make dining reservations, and when shore excursions are available to book.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WanderingBrit said:

Your cruise contract should tell you the date when you can make dining reservations, and when shore excursions are available to book.

Also referred to as Viking Guest Statement. 

• Like 1

We did 21 nights in the Med last fall on Viking Sky and not a single night could we have not gotten into Manfredis just by going down and asking. We might have had to wait 10 minutes or so but there was usually an empty table to be had. To be honest, we were totally underwhelmed. Steaks were thin and not cooked well, the Italian food was better than Olive Garden but not by a whole lot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrKoob said:

We did 21 nights in the Med last fall on Viking Sky and not a single night could we have not gotten into Manfredis just by going down and asking. We might have had to wait 10 minutes or so but there was usually an empty table to be had. To be honest, we were totally underwhelmed. Steaks were thin and not cooked well, the Italian food was better than Olive Garden but not by a whole lot.

The problem with the much touted rib eye is that it is cut far to thin. Impossible to cook correctly.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, duquephart said:

The problem with the much touted rib eye is that it is cut far to thin. Impossible to cook correctly.

Totally agree.  It used to indeed be thick - and then it could be cooked to perfection for us (Medium Rare).  Now it is likely raw or well done.

3 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Totally agree.  It used to indeed be thick - and then it could be cooked to perfection for us (Medium Rare).  Now it is likely raw or well done.

"Cooked to perfection" only works if it is a pretty good steak in the first place. Although it can be tasty I believe it's mostly due to marinade and seasoning. I prefer the flavor of a great cut of beef. I've never had what they call a NY Strip that was up to snuff either. I'm admittedly a harsh critic when it comes to steak but IMHO Viking has room to improve.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, duquephart said:

"Cooked to perfection" only works if it is a pretty good steak in the first place. Although it can be tasty I believe it's mostly due to marinade and seasoning. I prefer the flavor of a great cut of beef. I've never had what they call a NY Strip that was up to snuff either. I'm admittedly a harsh critic when it comes to steak but IMHO Viking has room to improve.

Yes you are very correct.

In the pre-COVID days the Manfredi's stead was a good steak in the first place.

I have to believe they are now not getting or not choosing to buy the good cut of beef.  I've noticed the distinct difference between 2019 and 2022-23

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, duquephart said:

The NY strip at the Grill in the World Cafe on Octantis (Antarctica) was very good!  I had it twice and both times it was cooked perfectly.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, softly darlene said:

I'm afraidi to ask: Is the Manfredi of the restaurant related to the Manfredi that now owns Crystal Cruises?

Manfredi's was named after an industry buddy of Tors Hagen, Viking's owner.   Mamsen was named after Hagen's beloved mother. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Frenchberet said:

The NY strip at the Grill in the World Cafe on Octantis (Antarctica) was very good!  I had it twice and both times it was cooked perfectly.

"Cooked perfectly" and great steak are two different things. A good chef can perfectly cook the sole of your shoe.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

"Cooked perfectly" and great steak are two different things. A good chef can perfectly cook the sole of your shoe.

Guess you won’t be eating at Manfredis.  We will miss you, or not.   When’s your next Viking cruise?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, softly darlene said:

I'm afraidi to ask: Is the Manfredi of the restaurant related to the Manfredi that now owns Crystal Cruises?

Yep! He and Tors are buddies.  Prior to Crystal Seems like there was a venue in the old Silverseas (Manfredi owned that line before selling to RCL) named Tor’s (or maybe Hagen’s?)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Guess you won’t be eating at Manfredis.  We will miss you, or not.   When’s your next Viking cruise?

We liked Manfredi's - just think the rib eye is severly overrated. Apply the "Steve Standard" found in another thread: If Manfredi's was a local restaurant would you go there? Would you order the rib eye?

Our next Viking cruise is in a bit less than a year.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, softly darlene said:

Darlin’ Darlene! Where in FL are you? I’d love to meet you for lunch some day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frenchberet said:

We had been hoping to try a Tomahawk steak at the Grill on Octantis, but they didn’t actually have it, despite its being listed.

Neither of us would order a NY strip, but we would’ve tried a ribeye, which they also didn’t have. It’s ok, we found plenty of things to enjoy. I can’t even believe that we actually “dined” at the World Cafe a few times. A lesson to me: never say never.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Why? The NY strip is definitely not the only thing on the menu.

Actually, I think I saw a post with a photo of the osso bucco, which looks great. That’s what I’ll probably have, unless there’s a fish that is one of my faves.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, softly darlene said:

How did you know I was from Florida?

And I thought I was articulating so well here.

THAT is NOT FUNNY.

Since FL’s a big state, I guess you don’t live close enough for us to meet in person. It was just a thought. 

6 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Yes you are very correct.

In the pre-COVID days the Manfredi's stead was a good steak in the first place.

I have to believe they are now not getting or not choosing to buy the good cut of beef.  I've noticed the distinct difference between 2019 and 2022-23

On our recent Australian/New Zealand cruise I was told by the Executive Chef and other officers the reason that is not as good is because they could only get New Zealand beef and not American imported beef. Not certain if that is correct, but several onboard shared the same information, regardless all four of us could not eat the steaks we were served. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fieldofdreams said:

On our recent Australian/New Zealand cruise I was told by the Executive Chef and other officers the reason that is not as good is because they could only get New Zealand beef and not American imported beef. Not certain if that is correct, but several onboard shared the same information, regardless all four of us could not eat the steaks we were served. 

Lowered standards - not a good sign. Steaks that can not be eaten should not be offered or served.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1