Experiences on Explorer of the Seas in the Caribbean?

I'm interested in hearing people who have to say about the Explorer of the seas. I've only been on Noordam before and am used to a smaller ship. I'm single and don't need all the bells and whistles. However, I am interested in what people think of the Explorer of the Seas as that has 6 ports and goes to St. Lucia which is somewhere i'd like to go. An alternative would be Grandeur of the Seas but it doesn't go to St. Lucia.

(For those who read the Hawaii thread i am considering jumping ship and going to caribbean due to more competitive pricing and more ports.)

Sorry you can ignore this. I see solo cabins are only on adventure of the seas and serenade of the seas for the cheaper caribbean cruises. I am going to have to phone royal caribbean and sort out what are the best prices.

I’ve been on Explorer several times, most recently last month for 8 nights to the southern Caribbean. It’s a great mid sized ship with a great crew. It recently came out of a (mostly) cosmetic dry dock (they did add water slides) and I thought she looked great, especially considering she is 20+ years old. I love this class of ship and similar Freedom class ships. They’re actually my favorite in the fleet. Obviously they don’t have all the bells and whistles of the Mega ships which you said you don’t need (I don’t either) but they still have plenty to offer and I’m already booked on this ship again for this fall.

• Like 2

Agree that Explorer is a great ship. We did a B2B on her out of San Juan in 2022 and will be on her again for a 9 nighter February 2024 and an 11 nighter in March 2025...that one has an amazing itinerary.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/29/2023 at 6:17 PM, Ashland said:

Agree that Explorer is a great ship. We did a B2B on her out of San Juan in 2022 and will be on her again for a 9 nighter February 2024 and an 11 nighter in March 2025...that one has an amazing itinerary.

We may be on the same itinerary as your Feb '24 sailing, but in April. 9-night E. Caribbean out of Miami. Let us know what you think after you return.. 🙂

• Like 1

I like the Voyager class ships (which explorer is part of). I actually prefer the slightly larger Freedom class ships over the Voyager class (and Oasis class might be my new overall favorite), so in my opinion, the voyager class ships are "small." 

The explorer is big enough to be able to find something to do everyday, but not so big that you leave the ship feeling like you never saw most of the ship. 

The other thing I like about this class is that there is a lot of outdoor space where you can get fresh air and sunshine. I also like that it has a promenade (the indoor area of the ship that is open, basically from one end of the ship to the other and has a bar, a cafe, some shops etc.) which Grandeur doesn't have.

I've never been on Grandeur or that class of ship, but don't think I would like it because it's smaller, older, and lacks the promenade inside the ship.

I love St Lucia. If given the option to sail to St Lucia on grandeur or explorer, I would pick explorer. If given the option to sail St Lucia and the only way to go was to sail on the Grandeur, I'd opt not to go. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I like the Voyager class ships (which explorer is part of). I actually prefer the slightly larger Freedom class ships over the Voyager class (and Oasis class might be my new overall favorite), so in my opinion, the voyager class ships are "small." 

The explorer is big enough to be able to find something to do everyday, but not so big that you leave the ship feeling like you never saw most of the ship. 

The other thing I like about this class is that there is a lot of outdoor space where you can get fresh air and sunshine. I also like that it has a promenade (the indoor area of the ship that is open, basically from one end of the ship to the other and has a bar, a cafe, some shops etc.) which Grandeur doesn't have.

I've never been on Grandeur or that class of ship, but don't think I would like it because it's smaller, older, and lacks the promenade inside the ship.

I love St Lucia. If given the option to sail to St Lucia on grandeur or explorer, I would pick explorer. If given the option to sail St Lucia and the only way to go was to sail on the Grandeur, I'd opt not to go. 

Your description of EOS sounds perfect to us. Our upcoming sailing on this ship will be only our second one with RCI. Our first nearly 25 years ago 😯 on Rhapsody.
Since that first one many years ago, we have 25+ sailings on other lines. We prefer the 'smaller' ships, and are not drawn to the behemoth 'floating cities' (if you will) that today's newer ships offer.

So, again, your reference to EOS being 'small', but with still plenty to do appeals to us a lot!

Thanks 🙂

• Like 1

On 5/29/2023 at 6:49 PM, latebuyer said:

I'm interested in hearing people who have to say about the Explorer of the seas. I've only been on Noordam before and am used to a smaller ship. I'm single and don't need all the bells and whistles. However, I am interested in what people think of the Explorer of the Seas as that has 6 ports and goes to St. Lucia which is somewhere i'd like to go. An alternative would be Grandeur of the Seas but it doesn't go to St. Lucia.

(For those who read the Hawaii thread i am considering jumping ship and going to caribbean due to more competitive pricing and more ports.)

I was on Explorer in April going to the ABC Islands.  I really like the ship and had a great time.  It's probably my favorite class of ships.  It has an ice rink and the ice shows are fabulous.  Staff was great.  I recommend it.  

Edited by moposh
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I also like that it has a promenade

I really like the promenade.

Grandeur was the first RC ship I sailed on.  I had a great time, but it is smaller.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, moposh said:

I really like the promenade.

Grandeur was the first RC ship I sailed on.  I had a great time, but it is smaller.

"Smaller" than what? Need a reference for proper context..

Do any of you RCI/EOS veterans know when the 2 'formal nights' (or whatever RCI calls them) might be on this 9-night itinerary?

Day 1 - Miami (depart 4:30pm)

Day 2 - Sea Day

Day 3 - Puerto Plata (depart 3pm)

Day 4 - St. Thomas (depart 7pm)

Day 5 - Antigua (depart 4pm)

Day 6 - Grenada (depart 5pm)

Day 7 - St. Kitts (depart 7pm)

Day 8 - Sea Day

Day 9 - Sea Day

Day 10 - Miami (arrive 6:30am)

I'm guessing the 2nd one will be on the evening of day 8 (sea day). As for the first one, would it likely be on the first sea day (day 2), or some other day (all port days)?

I realize it's up to the captain of the ship, and anybody's guess. But my experience on other lines is that they can usually be predicted with some success based on itinerary.

Thanks!

24 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Do any of you RCI/EOS veterans know when the 2 'formal nights' (or whatever RCI calls them) might be on this 9-night itinerary?

Day 1 - Miami (depart 4:30pm)

Day 2 - Sea Day

Day 3 - Puerto Plata (depart 3pm)

Day 4 - St. Thomas (depart 7pm)

Day 5 - Antigua (depart 4pm)

Day 6 - Grenada (depart 5pm)

Day 7 - St. Kitts (depart 7pm)

Day 8 - Sea Day

Day 9 - Sea Day

Day 10 - Miami (arrive 6:30am)

I'm guessing the 2nd one will be on the evening of day 8 (sea day). As for the first one, would it likely be on the first sea day (day 2), or some other day (all port days)?

I realize it's up to the captain of the ship, and anybody's guess. But my experience on other lines is that they can usually be predicted with some success based on itinerary.

Thanks!

My guess would also be days 2 and 8. On our 8 night itinerary it was days 2 and 7, both were sea days.

• Thanks 1

My issues were the tuna can balconies.  I much prefer the open balcony found on larger ships.  And lack of a real sports bar.  We sailed during the World Series and you had to claim a seat (chair hogging!) by 4 or you were SOL and only one bar had TVs.  I did love the solarium set up, way better than Harmony’s.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, poocher said:

My issues were the tuna can balconies.  I much prefer the open balcony found on larger ships.  And lack of a real sports bar.  We sailed during the World Series and you had to claim a seat (chair hogging!) by 4 or you were SOL and only one bar had TVs.  I did love the solarium set up, way better than Harmony’s.

Which bar on Explorer is considered the pseudo 'sports bar'?

On 5/29/2023 at 6:49 PM, latebuyer said:

We have been on Explorer a few times, and she is good.  We really enjoy her.  Not all the bells and whistles, but we don't need that all the time either.  We love the Southern Caribbean, by far our favorite, and St Lucia is one of our favorite places.

On 5/29/2023 at 9:17 PM, Ashland said:

We did a B2B on her also in April 2022 out of San Juan.  It was fantastic!!! Love the long port days and cruising out of San Juan. We are also doing a 9 night on her April 5, 2024 and looking forward to going back to Grenada. 

• Like 1

Never been on Explorer but I have been on that class several times.  I've sailed Adventure, Mariner and Navigator.  Also, on the slightly stretched out Freedom class Liberty of the Seas.  I love this class of ship and sail it without hesitation.  It is big enough to spread the crowds out but not so big that you have to walk a mile to get from one end to the other.  VCL is a fantastic venue that I love on this class.  

59 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Never been on Explorer but I have been on that class several times.  I've sailed Adventure, Mariner and Navigator.  Also, on the slightly stretched out Freedom class Liberty of the Seas.  I love this class of ship and sail it without hesitation.  It is big enough to spread the crowds out but not so big that you have to walk a mile to get from one end to the other.  VCL is a fantastic venue that I love on this class.  

For an RCI newbie, can you translate 'VCL' for me? ☺️We'll be sailing Explorer next spring and am trying to learn as fast as I can.