Can you no longer do free courtesy holds?

I did a courtesy hold and the agent charged my card the deposit. He said i had 24 hours to change my mind. Is that correct? At least i got it in writing. As i recall you used to be able to do a courtesy hold and not pay anything.

1 hour ago, latebuyer said:

I did a courtesy hold and the agent charged my card the deposit. He said i had 24 hours to change my mind. Is that correct? At least i got it in writing. As i recall you used to be able to do a courtesy hold and not pay anything.

If it's a courtesy hold they shouldn't have charged your card. Doesnt sound right to me.

@Ourusualbeachwould know .. but I think sounds wrong to charge your card. 

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

If it's a courtesy hold they shouldn't have charged your card. Doesnt sound right to me.

@Ourusualbeachwould know .. but I think sounds wrong to charge your card. 

Agreed. I remember courtesy holds in the past when booking myself & TA’s can place them for far longer than 24 hours.

7 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Sounds like they just booked you and are using the fact that you can cancel within 24 hours andecget a refund.  Totally different than a courtesy hold where your card woukd not have been charged. 

• Like 1

Sounds like the TA pulled a fast one on you, maybe to get credit for the booking before the end of the month, even if you cancel later. 

Courtesy holds don’t require a credit card, and many will be good for several days. We booked our upcoming June cruise on the Harmony just a few weeks ago. I did a courtesy hold through my TA (no credit card required) and then called back a few days later and gave them my credit card then.