Passports for Closed Loop cruise that includes Roatan and Belize

byrdbrain55

13 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

It is very simple, a close lop cruise does not require a passport for US Citizens. 

Hmmm...not *entirely* true.  We just did a partial Panama Canal cruise (Princess) this past Feb. which did require a passport due to a port call in Costa Rica.  It was a "closed loop" sailing from/to Fort Lauderdale.  There seem to be exceptions to just about everything travel-related these days!

18 minutes ago, tcdcruiser said:

Does not a closed loop cruise from Florida that includes Columbia require a US Passport?  Maybe something changed??

image.thumb.png.c7f165dfae01efbdadb54930fde31fd3.png

nothing has changed … any cruise that calls in central or South America requires a passport.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

No misleading of anyone here. If it is a true close loop cruise, from the United States, no passport is required. It is that simple. 

Sorry...NO.  *ALL* closed loop sailings are not exempt from passport requirement.

• Like 2

Thank you.

As I thought, SOME closed loop cruises do not require a US Passport BUT some closed loop cruises do.  Extraordinary care is required to avoid a disaster at embarkation. 

As always, a U.S. Passport always works. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Why do people object to getting a passport in the first place?  Expense?  Time?  Fear of an ugly photo?

A year or so ago, we were on a turn-around day in Port Everglades, and after doing the facial recognition machine, and as usual we were directed to sit in a group of chairs and wait for everyone to be processed.

At one point, a guy came marching into the area, ranting in a very loud voice that he objected, in the strongest of terms,  to the government "taking his photo". His liberties were being abused.

Not sure if he was travelling without a  passport, but I suspect that he had at least some other kind of photo ID, and that the US government already had on file his photo anyways.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kay S said:

Why do people object to getting a passport in the first place?  Expense?  Time?  Fear of an ugly photo?

For me, it’s the time it’s taking to get it renewed.  They are currently taking forever!  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

For me, it’s the time it’s taking to get it renewed.  They are currently taking forever!  

our first passport was 2007

we renewed in 2016

we will renew in 2025 - taking NO chances

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, voljeep said:

our first passport was 2007

we renewed in 2016

we will renew in 2025 - taking NO chances

Well, we kept on adding cruises onto our schedule that went further than we were willing to travel without one, even though not required,  
The furthest I am willing to go outside the US without a passport is to Vancouver or to Ensenada. I know the methods to travel safely either into Blaine, Washington or San Diego on the southern border.  
Anyway,  we sent in for our renewals about a month ago and won’t absolutely need them until September.  There is a cruise we have planned for next month that only stops in Ensenada.  I’m sure we won’t have them back by then this, guess we will travel without one.  
It’s all kept us rather grounded in the meantime .. but, it’s also saving us a lot of money.  I can’t be tempted to book more ‘drop and go’ cruises at the time being.  😆 

18 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

It is very simple, a close lop cruise does not require a passport for US Citizens. 

This is simply not correct. There are exceptions.

I was taking my DD and her friend on a Princess California Coastal cruise, even though you can board with just a BC & DL/ID on this itinerary, there was a requirement that all of us must have a passport, which we all did .I believe that was due to the fact that I was the only adult sailing.

You shouldn't make blanket statements when that's not the case.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

They are quoting ONLY 13 weeks for standard service ☹️.  You can shorten that to 7-9 weeks for an extra $60.  Times do not include the time in the mail.  Crazy.  We just mailed our renewals off this morning as we have no international travel planned for the next four months.  

Just get a passport! Anyone traveling without one is asking for trouble.

What happens if they, or a companion, get sick or miss the ship? They could be stranded in a foreign country without a passport and the ability to get home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This Cruise Critic community spends thousands of posts annually on this topic.

We are asked what should I do and the best advice and safest advice is always the same: get a passport.

What puzzles me are the people who can’t be bother to get a passport yet expect a last minute magic solution on cruise critic.  Sometimes there are simply consequences for poor decisions and poor forethought  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Guindalf said:

What happens if they, or a companion, get sick or miss the ship? They could be stranded in a foreign country without a passport and the ability to get home.

What happens is they get an emergency passport and get home. Certainly having to get an emergency passport is not ideal but there emergency and temporary passports are a real thing. 

23 hours ago, RD64 said:

I still fail to realize the reluctance of Americans to get a passport.

I am American and I fully agree with you. I have never left the country without a passport, nor would I even consider it. We got passports for all of our kids, in their teens, before they cruised. They have since used them for other travel outside the US. IMHO, if someone can afford a cruise they should be able to afford a passport (and travel insurance). 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

I am American and I fully agree with you. I have never left the country without a passport, nor would I even consider it. We got passports for all of our kids, in their teens, before they cruised. They have since used them for other travel outside the US. IMHO, if someone can afford a cruise they should be able to afford a passport (and travel insurance). 

I am an American and I have traveled to Canada and Mexico a bunch of times without a passport both by land and by air. Flew to Montreal in 1967 did not have or need a passport. Flew to Toronto. Drove across the border to Montreal without a passport several times. Also to Toronto and Niagara Falls. Often decided at the spur of the moment to drive across the border to Canada.  Never even crossed our minds to travel to Canada and Mexico with a passport even when we had them. The border agents often waved us through without asking for any ID. Usually they just asked why we were crossing. 

On 5/31/2023 at 3:20 AM, byrdbrain55 said:

I am getting conflicting information about whether passports are required for a closed loop cruise embarking/returning from Fort Lauderdale with ports in Roatan and Belize.  Since it is a closed loop cruise to the Caribbean, it should be okay to travel with WHTI-approved documents (birth certificates, etc) and photo ID.  There is a little caveat on the website that says if you stop in Central or South America, you must travel with a passport.  I have a passport but one of the people in our group was planning on traveling with a birth certificate.  Has anyone RECENTLY traveled to the Caribbean with stops in Roatan or Belize without a passport?

I do not need a lecture about how you should always travel with a passport.  I have one and I strongly encouraged this person to get one while we still had time.  He still may be able to get an expedited passport but this is stress none of us need right before our vacation.  Right now, we can't get anyone to answer the phone to set up an appointment for an expedited and they don't do walk-ins.

Thanks in advance!  

Document requirements depend on your nationality, itinerary, age of passengers in the party, and other factors, but Roatan and Belize are not ports that require a passport for all passengers. Martinique and Guadeloupe are the only two Caribbean ports that always require a passenger for Americans.

You can see Princess’ Travel Document requirements here 

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/

15 hours ago, tonit964 said:

This is simply not correct. There are exceptions.

I was taking my DD and her friend on a Princess California Coastal cruise, even though you can board with just a BC & DL/ID on this itinerary, there was a requirement that all of us must have a passport, which we all did .I believe that was due to the fact that I was the only adult sailing.

You shouldn't make blanket statements when that's not the case.

Cruises stopping in Guadeloupe or Martinique also always require a passport even on a closed loop cruise.

On 6/6/2023 at 4:24 AM, Expat Cruise said:

Really, I was on a closed loop cruise from San Diego, Hawaii, to Ensenada, Mexico in January. Many passengers travelled without a passport. People need to stop posting false or half true information. 

Document requirements depend on itinerary, age of passengers in the party and other factors. For example - any Caribbean cruise calling on Martinique or Guadeloupe requires a passport regardless of whether it is a closed loop cruise. If one adult is traveling with one or more minors, Princess requires a passport from everyone in the party on any itinerary.

You can see Princess’ Travel Document requirements here 

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/

Edited by Torfamm

2 hours ago, Torfamm said:

Cruises stopping in Guadeloupe or Martinique also always require a passport even on a closed loop cruise.

Not sure why you quoted me. I was responding to @Expat Cruise statement that closed loop cruises never require a passport. Which is false as in your example as well as many others listed on this thread.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

Not sure why you quoted me. I was responding to @Expat Cruise statement that closed loop cruises never require a passport. Which is false as in your example as well as many others listed on this thread.

I was agreeing with you that there are a number of circumstances where passports are required on a closed loop cruise. I mentioned a second one in addition to your example about minors traveling with only one adult. Sorry for any confusion.

Edited by Torfamm
  • Like 2

On 5/31/2023 at 2:33 AM, HaveDogWillTravel said:

A certified birth certificate with the embossed stamp

The embossed stamp or raised seal is a relic of the past for many birth certificates. Watermarks and "VOID" appearing across the document when copied is quite common now.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 12:17 PM, Kay S said:

Cost.

My wife and I have had passports for years.  Three of my four children have passports. I am taking my adult daughter, her husband and their two children on a cruise.  I am paying.  I would describe the couple as “working poor”.  They get by but just barely.  The likelihood of them leaving the country other than this one cruise is minuscule.  If they needed passports, it would be up to me to pay for all four. The cruise isn’t booked yet, but it will only visit two ports in the Bahamas.  I’m willing to pay for the cruise and they are grateful.  If they had to pay for passports, they would have to decline. I’m already over budget but committed because I’d like my grandchildren to experience a cruise once in their lives.  It might even inspire them to a higher level of financial achievement than their parents.  If I had to pay for their passports on top of fare, gratuities, drinks, souvenirs for the kids, etc, I probably wouldn’t make the offer.

• Like 1