AARP Rewards eGift Cards

bhawks9

10 minutes ago, Host Kat said:

FYI to all reading this thread:

Over the years there have been numerous threads on the same topic that have been merged into this one thread. I just merged in two more. That way, all the replies will be in one place. Due to the Cruise Critic software, all posts in this newly merged thread are in post date/time order.

Happy sails,

Host Kat

Thanks Kat!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AARP also discontinued the Kroger grocery store gift cards.  They used to sell $25 and $50 cards, then the $50 ones disappeared, then they came back, and now they're all gone.  Maybe if we all throw positive thoughts out there, AARP will bring back the Princess cards!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thrak said:

I will be pretty bummed if they are permanently gone. I have saved many thousands of dollars using the discounted cards. I have three cruises currently booked and have paid for maybe half of the first one with discounted cards but have paid nothing at all on the other two. I was definitely planning on paying the entire cost  of all three - including the airfare to Ireland and airfare home from Florida - using the discounted cards from AARP. Other cruise lines still show cards available - and at the old 10% discount - but Princess cards no longer show on the site. GAH!!!

One advantage of the Princess cards was that they were accepted for everything, both pre-cruise and onboard. The Celebrity cards for example are only good for cruise fare on new bookings and there is a limit of something like $1,500 per booking. 

18 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

?????  If Princess can sell all its cabins for X dollars; how would it benefit from accepting 5-8% less?

I agree that AARP has often not had gift cards at the end of a month.   Tomorrow is the first day of October. 

Very easy.  Because of the additional peripheral spending that could increase because of the discount.  Excursions, plus/premier packages, spa, etc 

• Like 1

Many website chats are now using AI, so they're actually computers responding with canned responses to similar questions.  The AI 'agent' will have a name assigned so it looks like you're having a chat with a person.  That may be what's happening with the chats we're seeing here. 

At this point, all we can do is keep checking back periodically and keep our fingers crossed.  🤞 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Many website chats are now using AI, so they're actually computers responding with canned responses to similar questions.  The AI 'agent' will have a name assigned so it looks like you're having a chat with a person.  That may be what's happening with the chats we're seeing here. 

At this point, all we can do is keep checking back periodically and keep our fingers crossed.  🤞 

I started with AI chat and it referred me to a person. That is where I received my info.

45 minutes ago, DANCING GRANDMOMMY said:

I started with AI chat and it referred me to a person. That is where I received my info.

I wrote the question on the AARP Community webpage, and somebody responded back to me this morning: 

‎"10-01-2024 11:31 AM

I just spoke to a representative.  They said Princess is no longer selling discount gift cards on AARP site.  This seems strange to me because they are still selling Carnival and Holland America and all 3 of these cruise lines are owned by the same company"

55 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I wrote the question on the AARP Community webpage, and somebody responded back to me this morning: 

‎"10-01-2024 11:31 AM

I just spoke to a representative.  They said Princess is no longer selling discount gift cards on AARP site.  This seems strange to me because they are still selling Carnival and Holland America and all 3 of these cruise lines are owned by the same company"

I got a similar canned response from AARP and wondered the same thing about Carnival and Holland until I remembered that each cruise line under the Carnival Cruise Corporation umbrella is operated as their own profit and loss center. Thus one line's decision does not necessarily carry over into the others.

John Padgett strikes again!

I’m not the one who brought up other discount sites but these are the 2 I am aware of currently

Target gives you 5% off if you have a Red Card

MyGiftCardPlus gives 5% back to your Swagbucks account (very nuanced but some here may participate in Swagbucks) 

t

Just now, FlutePrayer said:

There doesn't seem to be a discount today. 😕

Right.  Like I said, the last time they had them at that price was last Friday.  Recently, it seems to be once or twice a month for a limited time - like 24 hours or less - and I believe there is a limited amount they sell at that discounted price as well as a limit per purchase (I think 4 or 5).

• Thanks 1

We buy $100 Princess gift cards frequently at our grocery store. No Princess discount, BUT we earn gas points for gift card purchases and always save $1.00 a gallon on gas, pretty much anytime we need gas.  So an indirect savings. 

• Like 1

We have enjoyed the Princess product but without the gift cards the cost to sail on Princess just went up 8%.  I'm not that brand loyal and am looking forward to trying another line that still does offer gift cards on the AARP Rewards site.  If the experience on the other line is comparable to Princess, we'll be sailing that line. Like some have mentioned, things can change at any time so who knows how long discounted gift cards will be available on the other lines.  It was financially beneficial on Princess while it lasted. Princess corporate makes its decision and the consumer makes theirs. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CruiserJBM said:

In doing some poking around today, found this site, which actually has some very positive reviews:

https://www.cardcash.com

Here is what they show currently in stock for Princess (not 8% off, but 4.5% is better than nothing) and they have large cards for those same discounts:

image.thumb.png.a5dd4fd38cf366023cb211362647cd52.png

10 minutes ago, CruiserJBM said:

In doing some poking around today, found this site, which actually has some very positive reviews:

https://www.cardcash.com

Here is what they show currently in stock for Princess (not 8% off, but 4.5% is better than nothing) and they have large cards for those same discounts:

image.thumb.png.a5dd4fd38cf366023cb211362647cd52.png

I believe this is a site that buys and sales from private parties. Not sure I would go there. There was another site, carddepot.com, but I am leery of a site that wants my picture and a copy of my driver's license or passport. Anyone else use this site?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, missnd said:

As recently as last Friday (9/27) Newegg had Princess $500 gift cards for $460.  They don't offer them at that price all the time, and when or whether they will again is to be seen.

Just purchased one that was suppose to be on sale for 8 more hours. It was $200. for $200.00😪