AARP Rewards eGift Cards

bhawks9

3 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Much as I hate to suggest this, given that the cards are no longer available (for now, anyway) maybe it's time to close this thread?  A new thread (if and when they come back) would serve us much better.

I would love to, but do not know how.

19 hours ago, bhawks9 said:

I like many had just signed up for AARP to access the Princess cards which I had purchased for free over the past few years on AARP Rewards.  Saved a bunch of money in that time as we like to cruise and used them to pay for the cruises.   Am sure I will see some benefit being an AARP member going forward, sans access to discounted Princess gift cards.  Will continue to monitor Newegg as I was able to get the cards at 8% off the $200 denomination cards the other day.   I have alerts set up on Newegg for all denominations of cards and if they go on sale and will post the coupon code to this board in case others want to take advantage.   I appreciate the gift card discounts at any percentage and like others, it helps to make these cruises a touch more affordable.   

I hope the alerts work for you. I signed up for alerts in all denominations and have not received any but I check the website every day. 

• Like 1

Add my voice to those who want to keep this open. If not interested then don’t read it. I’m hoping that Princess card will become available again. One never knows what was going on behind the scenes. 

• Like 6

It takes two to tango.  I'm wondering who put up the sticking point between AARP and Princess.  It may have been a change on AARP's part that made Princess disassociate from AARP.  Is it possible that Princess has a problem with AARP recently changing eligibility for purchasing PCL cards to AARP members only?  Just because this is a Princess forum, it doesn't mean the fault solely lies with Princess.  Looking at the AARP threads, it comes across that AARP is content just offering other lines.  On the AARP website: "we do still have a variety of other popular brands, including Carnival, Celebrity, and Royal Caribbean.  - Janelle M."  

If we're going to complain to somebody, we should also send complaints to AARP as well as Princess.  1-888-OUR-AARP (1-888-687-2277).  Maybe we can get Princess and AARP to kiss and make up.  🥰 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

All other cruise lines do to seem to have any problem.  The cards are still offered on AARP.

I think that the assumption that 'Princess' is responsible for no longer offering these cards is a far assumption.

(But, everyone should be on notice that the other Lines could soon follow)

• Like 3

17 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

It may be that it's us frugal Princess Cruisers that have caused Princess to withdraw AARP's ability to sell discounted cards.

.....I hypothesize that us Princess folks, purchasing them to pay for cruises, likely have a redemption rate so high that discounted selling actually results in a loss to Princess, even after one factors in that Princess gets to hold our money earlier and longer than the final payment date for our bookings.

@beg3yrs  Totally agree with your hypothesis.

The backdoor discount of using cards to pay for a cruise -- as opposed to sharing cards as one-off gifts -- is likely the reason Princess stopped selling them.  It appears like a logical business decision.

I don't buy the notion that people discounting their cruise with cards then plow a ton of money into excursions and spa services and other things that they would not have done absent the card discount.  I'm sure Princess has the analytics on that.

That said, the heavy card discount users are educated consumers, seeking value where they can find it.  More power to them, but that option is closed for now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Using these cards to pay for your own cruise is nothing new.  

People are doing this to pay for cruises on all of these other Lines too. 

Used to be open to anybody who simply signed up an account on AARP.

Didn't even have to be over 55 or anything.

AARP changed that,  as they should...  But seems that was not enough.

30 minutes ago, JGmf said:

@beg3yrs  Totally agree with your hypothesis.

The backdoor discount of using cards to pay for a cruise -- as opposed to sharing cards as one-off gifts -- is likely the reason Princess stopped selling them.  It appears like a logical business decision.

I don't buy the notion that people discounting their cruise with cards then plow a ton of money into excursions and spa services and other things that they would not have done absent the card discount.  I'm sure Princess has the analytics on that.

That said, the heavy card discount users are educated consumers, seeking value where they can find it.  More power to them, but that option is closed for now.

It may be closed through AARP, but I just purchased $3000 (6x$500) worth of Princess gift cards from my credit union Prizeout system (see my post #495) at a 9% discount (my cost was $2730).  Therefore it is not closed through other avenues.   Personally, we are fortunate to be able to afford the cruises without the gift cards, but we prefer to get the added savings.  

Edited by TAW1963
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The credit union info is very good.  But I have absolutely no other reason to join the credit union near me that just joined Prizeout.  It's not that convenient, either. I did check it out, and I am glad to know about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoseyP said:

The credit union info is very good.  But I have absolutely no other reason to join the credit union near me that just joined Prizeout.  It's not that convenient, either. I did check it out, and I am glad to know about it.

That’s understandable and I would not join just for these perks either.   Fortunately, we’ve been members of our credit union for years and I just saw this Prizeout system a couple months back.   Good luck to you.   

22 hours ago, TAW1963 said:

In my post above, I mentioned the Prizeout program offered by my credit union which gives 9% discount on Princess gift cards (Holland, Carnival, Royal and Celebrity cards are also available). Below is a very recent (Oct 1, 2024) press release showing other credit unions that recently joined Prizeout to provide discounted gift cards to its members.   It appears that more credit unions are providing this service all the time.  

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2024/10/01/2956307/0/en/Prizeout-Partners-CUSO-Gains-Momentum-Welcomes-Golden-1-Credit-Union-Coastal-Credit-Union-and-Municipal-Credit-Union.html

Hmmmm.... Interesting. I checked the linked article and see that a local credit union (Golden 1) is a recent addition. It may well be worth opening an account simply in order to gain access to the discounted Princess gift cards. I will have to check into this further but, considering the amount we owe on booked cruises, a 9% discount would be great. It looks like a "growth savings account" of up to $1k at Capital 1 gets 3.93% dividend and 4% APY. Thanks for the info.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Hmmmm.... Interesting. I checked the linked article and see that a local credit union (Golden 1) is a recent addition. It may well be worth opening an account simply in order to gain access to the discounted Princess gift cards. I will have to check into this further but, considering the amount we owe on booked cruises, a 9% discount would be great. It looks like a "growth savings account" of up to $1k at Capital 1 gets 3.93% dividend and 4% APY. Thanks for the info.

You are very welcome!  I hope it works out for you.  I did run into a 5 card limit, which I am assuming is per month like AARP.  Since our account is a joint account, we were able to purchase more under her name.   I will be checking with Prizeout to find out what the 5 card limit is.  No limit is mentioned but I ran into it when I tried to buy a sixth one.  We have several cruises booked too and the 9% adds up quickly.   

Edited by TAW1963

1 hour ago, TAW1963 said:

You are very welcome!  I hope it works out for you.  I did run into a 5 card limit, which I am assuming is per month like AARP.  Since our account is a joint account, we were able to purchase more under her name.   I will be checking with Prizeout to find out what the 5 card limit is.  No limit is mentioned but I ran into it when I tried to buy a sixth one.  We have several cruises booked too and the 9% adds up quickly.   

Question: Can one purchase using a savings account or does it expressly have to be a checking account? I have no issue sticking some funds in a savings account but have no interest in another checking account.

Also, I just checked the prizeout site and can't find any mention of Princess gift cards. Actually, I didn't see any cruise line gift cards. Apparently I'm doing something wrong.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Question: Can one purchase using a savings account or does it expressly have to be a checking account? I have no issue sticking some funds in a savings account but have no interest in another checking account.

Also, I just checked the prizeout site and can't find any mention of Princess gift cards. Actually, I didn't see any cruise line gift cards. Apparently I'm doing something wrong.

I am not sure about whether it has to be a checking account or not.  It appears to be tied to our checking account, for we have other high yield savings accounts and it will not allow me to switch to them.   Perhaps the institutions control that aspect.    

I searched in the Prizeout system through my account, and can bring up several cruise lines.  The Celebrity cards are 14%.  Holland is 9% just like Princess.  I can do a search and take a snapshot on my computer if that would help.  It may be a while before I get to my computer.     

• Like 1

Just now, JoseyP said:

Celebrity cards are 14% off?  wow!  I wish the credit union option were good for me.

I saw Municipal Credit Union is now participating, you just need to live in NYC to join

15 hours ago, ngrund said:

I saw Municipal Credit Union is now participating, you just need to live in NYC to join

I know.  I just have no other reason to join!  I don't need or want another checking acct. Maybe there is something else that would give me the benefit.

14 hours ago, TAW1963 said:

It looks like it’s actually 15%!IMG_5699.thumb.jpeg.e4cec1acb32990a5123d5678dff563c4.jpeg

Are these regular celebrity gift cards ( that can be redeemed directy eith celebrity) or like the ones from AARP that have restrictions and have to be redeemed by another company.

23 minutes ago, JoseyP said:

I know.  I just have no other reason to join!  I don't need or want another checking acct. Maybe there is something else that would give me the benefit.

ok, I was a member years ago when you had to work for NYC or NYS, just saw that you also can just live in NYC. I have to see if I can rejoin as a retiree.

2 minutes ago, ngrund said:

ok, I was a member years ago when you had to work for NYC or NYS, just saw that you also can just live in NYC. I have to see if I can rejoin as a retiree.

It looks to me that when you make a purchase, it has to be deducted directly from your bank account with the credit union.  Is that correct?

1 minute ago, Daniel A said:

It looks to me that when you make a purchase, it has to be deducted directly from your bank account with the credit union.  Is that correct?

Per post above,, yes

25 minutes ago, ngrund said:

Are these regular celebrity gift cards ( that can be redeemed directy eith celebrity) or like the ones from AARP that have restrictions and have to be redeemed by another company.

Sorry, I have no experience with Celebrity gift cards.  Prizeout doesn’t provide any information, unfortunately. They have amounts as small as $25 or so; I suppose one could do an experiment without spending much.   The Princess cards can be directly redeemed with Princess.