No USA Passport for Alaska cruise departing Vancouver

Hey all, unfortunately in this case, no news was bad news. Exhausted all efforts, really did, I guess it was too little too late! Again my fault, but no passport in hand for the ship’s departure tomorrow. Lost cause. 😔

I appreciate everyone’s time, efforts, and advice! Thank you

7 minutes ago, Vinnyv20032003 said:

Hey all, unfortunately in this case, no news was bad news. Exhausted all efforts, really did, I guess it was too little too late! Again my fault, but no passport in hand for the ship’s departure tomorrow. Lost cause. 😔

That’s unfortunate. Sorry to hear.

Thank you for the update.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Vinnyv20032003 said:

Indeed unfortunate but others can learn from your story. Thanks for the update.

• Like 1

Read a CNN article on the huge increase there is in US travel to Europe this summer (and likely next summer).  If you are going anywhere next year, I would have any passport applications/renewals in 9 months ahead of time, at minimum.

9 hours ago, tscoffey said:

Read a CNN article on the huge increase there is in US travel to Europe this summer (and likely next summer).  If you are going anywhere next year, I would have any passport applications/renewals in 9 months ahead of time, at minimum.

What is one supposed to do if one has several trips planned, without a *long* time between any two of them, with a passport that might be expiring in 1-2 years or so?

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

What is one supposed to do if one has several trips planned, without a *long* time between any two of them, with a passport that might be expiring in 1-2 years or so?

Renew with the urgent process. To do that yourself, call for an in person appointment when within 14 days of departing on a trip (i.e. call on the 1st if departing on the 14th). You will either pick the passport up later on the day of the appointment or have to come in the next day. If you don't want to go in person, you can pay an expeditor to do it for you.

Or wait for now and hope renewal times will go down before you need to renew. 

8 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Get a second passport.

Can one do that without some special circumstance.  (That could be because you can't travel in Country A if you have a stamp from Country B, and you need to go to both of them, or such.)

I mean, that would be great... fewer worries about losing a passport, too! 😉 

GC

7 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I don't believe that is possible.

Here is the State Department's eligibility requirements for a 2nd passport book valid for "up to 4 years" (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/second-passport-book.html):

• A foreign country will deny a visa or entry to you because your passport has stamps showing travel to certain countries.
  • You need multiple visas on an ongoing basis because of frequent international travel.
  • You need a U.S. passport for urgent international travel but your application for a foreign visa is delayed or cannot be processed in time for your travel. 
  • When you need a special validation for travel to a restricted country or area.

In most cases when applying for a second passport, you will need to complete a Renewal Application (Form DS-82). You may apply for a second passport using Form DS-82 if you can submit your full-validity, 10 year passport and you meet the other requirements to renew. You may renew your second passport but you must submit your second passport with your application. We will invalidate it so it cannot be used for international travel.

In some cases when applying for a second passport, you will need to apply in person and complete a Passport Application (Form DS-11) if you do not submit your full-validity, 10 year passport.

Please note: If you have you urgent international travel, you may be eligible to make an appointment to apply or renew at a passport agency or center

It looks like the processing time is similar to a regular renewal or new passport request.  If it is needed within 14 days you need to go through the emergency passport process.

2 hours ago, capriccio said:

Here is the State Department's eligibility requirements for a 2nd passport book valid for "up to 4 years" (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/second-passport-book.html):

• A foreign country will deny a visa or entry to you because your passport has stamps showing travel to certain countries.
  • You need multiple visas on an ongoing basis because of frequent international travel.
  • You need a U.S. passport for urgent international travel but your application for a foreign visa is delayed or cannot be processed in time for your travel. 
  • When you need a special validation for travel to a restricted country or area.

In most cases when applying for a second passport, you will need to complete a Renewal Application (Form DS-82). You may apply for a second passport using Form DS-82 if you can submit your full-validity, 10 year passport and you meet the other requirements to renew. You may renew your second passport but you must submit your second passport with your application. We will invalidate it so it cannot be used for international travel.

In some cases when applying for a second passport, you will need to apply in person and complete a Passport Application (Form DS-11) if you do not submit your full-validity, 10 year passport.

Please note: If you have you urgent international travel, you may be eligible to make an appointment to apply or renew at a passport agency or center

It looks like the processing time is similar to a regular renewal or new passport request.  If it is needed within 14 days you need to go through the emergency passport process.

None of those reasons seems to fit needing a passport to travel with while your main passport is being renewed.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, new_cruiser said:

None of those reasons seems to fit needing a passport to travel with while your main passport is being renewed.

I agree but it was in answer to the comment about getting a second passport.  There are valid reasons but I don’t think delayed renewal of your expiring passport is one of them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, capriccio said:

I should have added "under normal circumstances" 😉 but this is good info to have.