NEW Cunard carry-on alcohol policy?

akulavolk

I'm sailing to AK with Cunard late July/early August.

In prep for my trip, some of the verbiage around Cunard's approved carry-on policy was a bit confusing (one bottle of wine allowed...per person, or per cabin?). SO, I called them to clarify. The woman helping said they'd just had a change to their policy which allows customers to carry on wine or other alcohol in their carry-on luggage "to celebrate a special occasion." Corkage fees apply if consuming the wine in a public place. Didn't seem to be any restriction against more than one bottle per person, or non-wine alcohol.

I couldn't find anything online backing up this new policy, so I'm nervous about bringing on a nice bottle of something. So I called again a day later, got a different customer service person. After a bit of looking, this second agent confirmed the new policy.

I'd feel much more comfortable if I could find this documented somewhere. All I've found online is the old policy of one bottle of wine per person.

Anyone else confirmed this, or been able to find anything documented to reflect this change? Would love to know. The agent I spoke to said this is internal documentation so there's nothing she could point me to, but not sure if that's accurate either.

8 hours ago, akulavolk said:

I'm sailing to AK with Cunard late July/early August.

In prep for my trip, some of the verbiage around Cunard's approved carry-on policy was a bit confusing (one bottle of wine allowed...per person, or per cabin?). SO, I called them to clarify. The woman helping said they'd just had a change to their policy which allows customers to carry on wine or other alcohol in their carry-on luggage "to celebrate a special occasion." Corkage fees apply if consuming the wine in a public place. Didn't seem to be any restriction against more than one bottle per person, or non-wine alcohol.

I couldn't find anything online backing up this new policy, so I'm nervous about bringing on a nice bottle of something. So I called again a day later, got a different customer service person. After a bit of looking, this second agent confirmed the new policy.

I'd feel much more comfortable if I could find this documented somewhere. All I've found online is the old policy of one bottle of wine per person.

Anyone else confirmed this, or been able to find anything documented to reflect this change? Would love to know. The agent I spoke to said this is internal documentation so there's nothing she could point me to, but not sure if that's accurate either.

No need to worry.  Cunard treat their guests as responsible adults.

On embarkation previously taken onboard 16 bottles (noted others exceeding this)

Personal record for a port is 27 bottles 

Most amusement for a port 12 bottles plus 1 barrel at Fort de France

Not forgetting one’s liqueurs, Port, Sherry, beers, lagers, mixers, sodas etc. etc as required

A trolley or sack barrow can be utilised to save any heavy carrying.

• Haha 1

It would be lovely if Cunard actually updated some of their statements about the alcohol policy to reflect reality. I note the Cunard Passage Contract for the US still contains verbiage about limiting each passenger to bringing one bottle of wine or champagne on board. So, if they have decided to loosen the wording of the alcohol policy to reflect the true policy on the ground, it hasn't made it to our US passage contract yet.

There is one statement in the Cunard UK FAQ which is not new but indicates a less restrictive policy. Here is a potion of that UK FAQ entry.

(Q) Can I bring alcohol on board to consume in my stateroom or in restaurants?

(A) You may bring beer, wine or spirits on board (subject to the age limit law of the port of departure) to celebrate special occasions. However, if you wish to consume it in any of the dining rooms, alternative restaurants or bars then each bottle will be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00 (fee subject to change). There is no corkage fee if it is consumed in your suite or stateroom. Wine and champagne gifts purchased via the Cunard Gift Collection are exempt from the corkage fee - please show your gift card to your waiter.

Note this FAQ entry includes the phrase "to celebrate special occasions" as mentioned by the Cunard customer service representative. But again this entry in the UK FAQ is not new. And it does not exist in the US FAQ.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

It would be lovely if Cunard actually updated some of their statements about the alcohol policy to reflect reality. I note the Cunard Passage Contract for the US still contains verbiage about limiting each passenger to bringing one bottle of wine or champagne on board. So, if they have decided to loosen the wording of the alcohol policy to reflect the true policy on the ground, it hasn't made it to our US passage contract yet.

There is one statement in the Cunard UK FAQ which is not new but indicates a less restrictive policy. Here is a potion of that UK FAQ entry.

(Q) Can I bring alcohol on board to consume in my stateroom or in restaurants?

(A) You may bring beer, wine or spirits on board (subject to the age limit law of the port of departure) to celebrate special occasions. However, if you wish to consume it in any of the dining rooms, alternative restaurants or bars then each bottle will be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00 (fee subject to change). There is no corkage fee if it is consumed in your suite or stateroom. Wine and champagne gifts purchased via the Cunard Gift Collection are exempt from the corkage fee - please show your gift card to your waiter.

Note this FAQ entry includes the phrase "to celebrate special occasions" as mentioned by the Cunard customer service representative. But again this entry in the UK FAQ is not new. And it does not exist in the US FAQ.

Every day on a Cunard ship is a special occasion. 😀

• Like 9

22 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Take whatever you want. There’s never been a problem. Try not to clank.

Our bag clanked so much is SF security thought it was hilarious -  but I agree using a proper wine box is safer! 

Just a note….

Please do not personally carry a glass of wine, or other alcoholic liquids, from one’s Stateroom, or the Cunard public welcomes/gatherings, to one’s table in the Restaurant.  
It’s so wrong, a no no and not Cunard.

Drinks from a Bar are carried to one’s table by a waiter from that Bar.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Just a note….

Please do not personally carry a glass of wine, or other alcoholic liquids, from one’s Stateroom, or the Cunard public welcomes/gatherings, to one’s table in the Restaurant.  

Some of my friends elderly relatives (who don’t drink very much) will often start a glass of sherry before dinner, and continue it through dinner.  Considering how busy the waiters in the Commodore Club are, I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect one of them to carry the glass all the way to the restaurant if the owner of the glass is capable of carrying it themselves.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

And for entirely different reasons, please, please don’t carry mugs of hot drinks from the Lido in crowded lifts. Nasty accident waiting to happen.

Seen it often. Even watched a couple who were sitting at the bar in the GLP, go frequently up to the Lido and return with coffees. They bought nothing in the bar.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Seen it often. Even watched a couple who were sitting at the bar in the GLP, go frequently up to the Lido and return with coffees. They bought nothing in the bar.

One has seen pax doing exactly the same throughout the ship.  Even in the Commodore during the day, usually hogging the unrestricted forward view seating.
Then, when replenishing, just walk off, leaving their used crockery on the table for the Commodore wait staff to clear.  

No need to worry, as the future of a genteel Cunard is in the safe hands of this new breed of pax, which Carnival is actively seeking to attract.

• Like 1

We're doing a 44 night cruise from Southampton. From what I've read on Cunard and here, we will be allowed to board at Southampton with a bottle of gin, a bottle of vodka, and a couple bottles of wine (all to be consumed in our cabin).  Can we restock ashore and bring onboard at ports of call during the cruise?

On 6/8/2023 at 2:42 PM, PORT ROYAL said:

One has seen pax doing exactly the same throughout the ship.  Even in the Commodore during the day, usually hogging the unrestricted forward view seating.
Then, when replenishing, just walk off, leaving their used crockery on the table for the Commodore wait staff to clear.  

No need to worry, as the future of a genteel Cunard is in the safe hands of this new breed of pax, which Carnival is actively seeking to attract.

Don't know about any 'new breeds' unless you're referring to the canine variety but taking free drinks, in lieu of forking out for any, around the ship is nothing new at all so don't put the onus on newbies. I don't agree with it but it's not a new issue at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, colingu said:

We're doing a 44 night cruise from Southampton. From what I've read on Cunard and here, we will be allowed to board at Southampton with a bottle of gin, a bottle of vodka, and a couple bottles of wine (all to be consumed in our cabin).  Can we restock ashore and bring onboard at ports of call during the cruise?

Yes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, colingu said:

We're doing a 44 night cruise from Southampton. From what I've read on Cunard and here, we will be allowed to board at Southampton with a bottle of gin, a bottle of vodka, and a couple bottles of wine (all to be consumed in our cabin)

And for day two? 

• Haha 5

On our recent cruise to Tokyo we carried on as much as we wanted and bought some ashore as well no issues at all. The problem is getting ice or mix if you need it. Just bring wine and stuff it in the fridge you will be fine

3 hours ago, Largo007 said:

On our recent cruise to Tokyo we carried on as much as we wanted and bought some ashore as well no issues at all. The problem is getting ice or mix if you need it. Just bring wine and stuff it in the fridge you will be fine

No problems.

Mixers are available from shops and stores at ports of call. If not knowing the exact location prior to docking, then one’s wait staff will give directions.  Remember ship’s staff do actually know where almost everything can be purchased, port by port.  
While ice, by the bucket load, is just a request to one’s stateroom attendant.  
Then, fruit by the slice, is a call to Room Service or a simply ask a bar steward.  Or purchase whole fruits when ashore.

Small appreciations for staff assistance are greatly received.

On 6/8/2023 at 8:02 PM, PORT ROYAL said:

Just a note….

Not sure which Cunard you sail on - not the one I was on in 2022- if I want to carry  a drink from one bar to another I do so. I think they would help me if I was disabled but not otherwise.  Its one of the nice perks of being on a ship-  can't normally carry an open drink into a dining room - can on a ship 

• Like 3