How Did You Find A Good Travel Agent?

Caligirl58

I understand the CC guidelines that TA recommendations are not allowed.  And I have read JazzBeau's sticky about choosing a TA.  But I am curious how those of you with great travel agents were able to find them?  For each of our two Uniworld river cruises, we used a travel agent from a large national automobile association (different agent for each cruise - from different branch locations in our city).  Each one had been recommended to us - one by multiple cruise line representatives at the annual travel show, the other by friends.  Unfortunately, we were underwhelmed by both of them.  (Multiple mistakes made, unavailable when we had an issue while traveling, etc.)  So as we look ahead to future cruises, we are starting over in our TA search.  Although we did appreciate the discounts available to us through the automobile association, if we have to choose between discounts and good customer service, we'll forego the discounts.  For those of you who have a great agent, how did you find them?  Did you choose a local travel agency?  Is your agent part of a network like Virtuoso?  How did you find agents knowledgeable about river cruises (vs ocean)?  Thank you for your advice.   

It's going to be hard to keep this thread from violating the guidelines.  [Your description of your prior travel agents already does by describing the agency too clearly.]  And everybody please remember that you can't offer your email to provide this info off-line!

I got my first travel agent as a recommendation from Oceania – and didn't like her (little service, recommendations too high-end, no discount).  The second one was from a link on the Azamara website that doesn't seem to exist anymore (she was great, but has since retired).  The third one was from an onboard recommendation – which is your best bet, but not in time for this trip.  

In my experience there is a trade-off between two types of great agents:  those who are available 24/7 (or close to it) in emergencies and who give good advice but no discounts; and those who have ok responsiveness but give up to 10% rebates.  If only I knew in advance which trips would have problems, I could steer my bookings between the two!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I found my current TA while talking to a gym acquaintance about travel.  He raved about his agent so I gave her a call and have been with her for years now.  Word of mouth is the best if you have friends with similar travel requirements.

• Like 2

I apologize if it seemed that I was treading too close to the violation line.  I wasn't asking for recommendations at all (although I wish those were allowed!).  I'm just hoping to get ideas of how others approached their search.  I thought we had gone a good route and asked the right questions when we found our first two agents -- maybe we were just unlucky.  We aren't picky and hard to please -- we just want to find someone who is knowledgeable about river cruising and will be available if we run into a problem.  

51 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

I’m a 10% rebate girl all the way. You can use google. If it’s a large agency that’s been in business many years and is the number one in sales of certain categories that’s a good sign. 

Got2Cruise - If you work with a large agency (assume you mean online?) - does one agent handle all of the arrangements for your trip?  And is that agent the one you would contact if you ran into an issue?  

1 hour ago, Caligirl58 said:

Got2Cruise - If you work with a large agency (assume you mean online?) - does one agent handle all of the arrangements for your trip?  And is that agent the one you would contact if you ran into an issue?  

Yes. The agency I use is actually a brick and mortar agency. But they’re large. They are located in a state far from where I live. But with technology it doesn’t matter.  The same agent works with you. She’s  not just a customer service type agent. It’s through telephone or email. I prefer to email, but I have spoken to my agent on phone. Also the owner is hands on and part of day to day operations. 

• Like 1

I found my agent through a referral from a friend. She works for a local travel agency. The first 4 years I worked with her I didn’t live in the same city and we were able to conduct business via e-mail and phone. I now live in the same city she is and have on occasion visited her in person for some planning, but most is done via phone and internet. I have given her contact info to a lot of people I meet and all are happy with her. I’m sorry we can’t give recommendations on this board. 

• Like 1

I am a very savvy internet searcher, but whenever I try a google search for travel agents the results are basically online travel sites that aren't really travel agents in my definition.  Even with a big discount I don't want someone who just books my trip and washes his [metaphorical] hands of me.  I want a real travel agency with long-term knowledgable agents who can give advice and will follow up – plus a discount or rebate.  

The only reliable way I have found to learn of such people is through word of mouth.  Thankfully it is a good conversation topic on a cruise.  I would never ask anyone what they paid for their cabin [or their seat on an airplane], but asking if they have a 'good travel agent' is safe because it gives them a chance to brag if they like, or just say 'no.'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I am a very savvy internet searcher, but whenever I try a google search for travel agents the results are basically online travel sites that aren't really travel agents in my definition.  Even with a big discount I don't want someone who just books my trip and washes his [metaphorical] hands of me.  I want a real travel agency with long-term knowledgable agents who can give advice and will follow up – plus a discount or rebate.  

The only reliable way I have found to learn of such people is through word of mouth.  Thankfully it is a good conversation topic on a cruise.  I would never ask anyone what they paid for their cabin [or their seat on an airplane], but asking if they have a 'good travel agent' is safe because it gives them a chance to brag if they like, or just say 'no.'

Fortunately, that was not my experience with the competitive agency that I have been using for years. I have been using this online agency for years and have always been satisfied. I knew ahead of time what cruises I wanted, so it wasn't up to the agent to find something for me. If you don't know what you want, then perhaps word-of-mouth is the best way to go. I was looking for good deals, since I think river cruises are way over-priced compared to the ocean cruises we take and book using the same competitive on-line agency. The travel agent I used for the two river cruises followed up with all their discounts, OBCs and a $500 refund at the end of the cruise.

For those that enjoy river cruises, we can understand the appeal. In the end, my husband and I found that river cruises are not our preferred travel style and probably will not go on another one again. We had a good time, but two and done. 

Thanks,

Arlene

We are fairly new to international travel.  We (foolishly) put it off until my husband retired - then were able to only get in two river cruises before Covid came along.  We have a list of places we'd like to visit, but with our lack of travel experience, we'd like to find a TA who can advise/guide us as well as help with the travel arrangements for future river cruises as well as 'land travel' abroad.  (Husband is currently not open to the idea of ocean cruising on a large ship - but I'm hoping he'll consider a small ship....)

5 hours ago, Caligirl58 said:

We are fairly new to international travel.  We (foolishly) put it off until my husband retired - then were able to only get in two river cruises before Covid came along.  We have a list of places we'd like to visit, but with our lack of travel experience, we'd like to find a TA who can advise/guide us as well as help with the travel arrangements for future river cruises as well as 'land travel' abroad.  (Husband is currently not open to the idea of ocean cruising on a large ship - but I'm hoping he'll consider a small ship....)

Ocean cruising on small ships is closer to river cruising.  My personal history started on 2,000 pax ships, then discovered the super-premium lines with 700-1,200 pax (Azamara, Oceania, Viking), and now prefer ~100 pax ocean ships of Noble Caledonia [their inclusiveness and atmosphere is quite like a river cruise, and they also do river cruises].

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Ocean cruising on small ships is closer to river cruising.  My personal history started on 2,000 pax ships, then discovered the super-premium lines with 700-1,200 pax (Azamara, Oceania, Viking), and now prefer ~100 pax ocean ships of Noble Caledonia [their inclusiveness and atmosphere is quite like a river cruise, and they also do river cruises].

@Host Jazzbeau have you ever tried the Scenic Ocean Cruises? I received a brochure from them the other day. 

10 hours ago, Caligirl58 said:

I think you should chose a place on your bucket list and go from there. You know what you don’t want a large Cruise ship with thousands of pax. But there are plenty alternatives. 

1 hour ago, Got2Cruise said:

@Host Jazzbeau have you ever tried the Scenic Ocean Cruises? I received a brochure from them the other day. 

No.  I love Scenic river cruises, which are in the top group but not crazy expensive.  But Scenic's ocean (really expedition) ships, which are very new, are IMHO over the top.  [I don't need or want a helicopter or submarine onboard – and I don't want to pay my share of their upkeep!]  I might try Emerald, their second line whose small ocean ships are luxury yachts (rather than expedition) and more reasonably priced.

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

No.  I love Scenic river cruises, which are in the top group but not crazy expensive.  But Scenic's ocean (really expedition) ships, which are very new, are IMHO over the top.  [I don't need or want a helicopter or submarine onboard – and I don't want to pay my share of their upkeep!]  I might try Emerald, their second line whose small ocean ships are luxury yachts (rather than expedition) and more reasonably priced.

Wait I didn’t know Emerald has small ships also. Will have to investigate. Thanks. 

Very little info about these small ships here on CC. 

• Like 1

I didn't.   After bad experiences with lackluster/lazy TAs.....I found I could do a better job of it myself.  I do a LOT of research online.  I am retired...so it became my "job" to make our own plans.  The planning (and dreaming)  ended up being a big part of the fun.  Gives me something to do in my off times.  

My hubby has been very happy with our homebased "TA" for the last 15 years.  😉 

I am also a thorough planner, so the most I get from my TA in that line is confirmation about new cruise lines.  But, when something goes wrong during the cruise, your TA is sitting at her desk with a phone and a computer and can bird-dog the issue for you while you continue with those best-laid plans.  [And even after the cruise, like the time I stupidly left my camera on a tour bus and it took months before all the necessary parties could get together on its return – my TA was working with the cruise line and the insurance company as an advocate, and her involvement produced a superior outcome.]  That's why I always use a TA, even if I start the booking with the cruise line directly.

• Like 1

For home and Europe we don’t use a TA but anything else yes although with a lot of personal research (archivists tend to be researchers). We used a TA for our six adult and one child invasion of California just before covid struck and he sorted a real conundrum with hotels around Disney, for which we shall always be grateful but we introduced him to places he’d never heard of and has since contacted us for information for other customers. We’ve traveled the world used TA’s and they’ve been there in the background and ready if required luckily so far that’s not happened. For Scenic I’ve always used the U.K. office and they’ve been brilliant. If I was travelling from the USA I’d use a TA, research, check or get someone to check social media, I’d go and see them you’ll know just by talking to them for a few minutes if you were comfortable with them. They need your business you don’t need theirs unless it’s spot-on.

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I am also a thorough planner, so the most I get from my TA in that line is confirmation about new cruise lines.  But, when something goes wrong during the cruise, your TA is sitting at her desk with a phone and a computer and can bird-dog the issue for you while you continue with those best-laid plans.  [And even after the cruise, like the time I stupidly left my camera on a tour bus and it took months before all the necessary parties could get together on its return – my TA was working with the cruise line and the insurance company as an advocate, and her involvement produced a superior outcome.]  That's why I always use a TA, even if I start the booking with the cruise line directly.

You were lucky to find a good TA.   Unfortunately, did not work that way for me.  😞   Burned twice...gave up.  

3 hours ago, island lady said:

You were lucky to find a good TA.   Unfortunately, did not work that way for me.  😞   Burned twice...gave up.  

Keep asking onboard.  Some of your fellow guests will have great TAs and you can get details about why they think the service is great (which may or may not be what you are looking for).

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Keep asking onboard.  Some of your fellow guests will have great TAs and you can get details about why they think the service is great (which may or may not be what you are looking for).

Thanks!  Great idea....though I would have to apply for unemployment benefits if I fired myself.  Then again, I work for peanuts.  😄 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, island lady said:

Thanks!  Great idea....though I would have to apply for unemployment benefits if I fired myself.  Then again, I work for peanuts.  😄 

If you're like me [and I get the feeling that on this you are] you will never fire yourself.  No one else could plan trips to fit my and DW's needs [and arbitrage between the two, with love 😀]  But once the planning is done, lining up that backoffice support [or alternatively getting a nice rebate] is still worthwhile.

• Like 2