Is this doable? Yes I'm being cheap.

This will be our 1st cruise as Diamond. However my husband quit drinking and I've never been a drinker. We were planning to get Refreshment packages until I remembered we each get 4 drink vouchers a day. So I'm thinking of him getting the Refreshment and I could get the soda package ( I live off of Coke zero) and I could use our vouchers for fresh OJ in the morning, waters during the day and if I want a mocktail or milk shake. Does that sound like it would work. It saves me almost $200 .

• Like 1

Just now, toxicfairy said:

This will be our 1st cruise as Diamond. However my husband quit drinking and I've never been a drinker. We were planning to get Refreshment packages until I remembered we each get 4 drink vouchers a day. So I'm thinking of him getting the Refreshment and I could get the soda package ( I live off of Coke zero) and I could use our vouchers for fresh OJ in the morning, waters during the day and if I want a mocktail or milk shake. Does that sound like it would work. It saves me almost $200 .

You can use your 4 vouchers a day any way you want up to $14. You can even share them between you if you are like me and dont use 4 a day. Since they are limited to 4, they are shareable. 

Yes you can get different packages if they arent the alcoholic one. 

• Like 2

Doesn’t sound like you’re being cheap. Cheap would be bringing  a 12 pack of Coke Zero onboard with you, and maybe bringing a sports bottle and fill with ship water if you drink a lot of water. Do you think you would need more than 8 non alcoholic beverages per day? Or let your husband use the 8 vouchers and you buy a soda package.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, crzndeb said:

Doesn’t sound like you’re being cheap. Cheap would be bringing  a 12 pack of Coke Zero onboard with you, and maybe bringing a sports bottle and fill with ship water if you drink a lot of water. Do you think you would need more than 8 non alcoholic beverages per day? Or let your husband use the 8 vouchers and you buy a soda package.

No my Husband got sober 2 yrs ago and I've never been big on alcohol.  He'll get the Refreshment package as he drinks a ton of water. I drink more soda so was thinking I'll get the cheapest soda package then use our combined vouchers just to get my fresh orange juice and waters. His Refreshment package covers water , juice and " mocktails" so he'll have no need for the vouchers. It's almost $200 cheaper than getting 2 Refreshment packages. Plus we won't be wasting the " free" vouchers lol. 

10 hours ago, toxicfairy said:

You aren't being cheap.  You are being smart.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I agree, the ships water tastes as good as any bottled IMO.  You could also carry on a case of water.  I have read that the specialty dining locations give out big bottles of water for the Diamond vouchers and there will be a couple of bottles of water each in your room.  Water available at all dining venues.  I guess my point is there is a lot of free water available.  I don’t think I’d buy a refreshment package just to get water.  How’s that for cheap 😁

• Like 3

Not cheap, smart with your money. As you have pointed out you dont have to spend big on stuff. We are super cheap on cruises:

Non drinkers (Alcohol) so at most refreshment package for mocktails and coffees.

Water, ship water is fine and plenty of places to fill up a recyclable bottle. (But after tasting american water from the taps when in the states i can see why americans prefer bottled water)

Dont need wifi can last two weeks without internet, but often get free internet ashore.

Food is enough and good for us in the free venues.

Sore excursions, way too expensive . We always explore ourselves.

Room spend little time in it so always go with cheapest room option. 

Spa......emmm not needed, esp those prices!!!

We still have a blast and really enjoy the cruise and gives us money for next cruise.

Edited by FamilyCruiserUK
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I finally brought my refillable insulated cup with me this past cruise with some zero calorie flavor packets. It was the best thing. I’ll never go without it again. The beverage crew in Windjammer were happy to fill it with ice and water for me and it kept me from wanting to drink high calorie drinks during the day. If I wanted to day drink I just ordered a shot or two and threw it in. This was the first cruise I didn’t gain any weight on. 

• Like 3

If your DH insists on bottled water, just order that for the cabin separately.  He can then use his vouchers for other NA drinks or hand the unused to you.  No need for any packages.

Edited by crewsweeper
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I finally brought my refillable insulated cup with me this past cruise with some zero calorie flavor packets. It was the best thing. I’ll never go without it again. The beverage crew in Windjammer were happy to fill it with ice and water for me and it kept me from wanting to drink high calorie drinks during the day. If I wanted to day drink I just ordered a shot or two and threw it in. This was the first cruise I didn’t gain any weight on. 

Hubby likes his coffee. Lots of water and the fresh juice in the morning.  Sounds like my plan is a go .

• Like 3

1 hour ago, toxicfairy said:

Hubby likes his coffee. Lots of water and the fresh juice in the morning.  Sounds like my plan is a go .

The regular coffee in the Cafe Proemndae or Park Cafe is Lavazza and it's free and pretty good unless you want a latte or expresso or other type of coffee drink.

2 hours ago, toxicfairy said:

Absolutely a go... We avoided packages since turning Diamond last year and it has saved us money.

EDIT:  Also if your husband is a coffee drinker remind him that he can get Latte's and Cappuccino's from the machine in the Diamond Lounge all day for free.  That might save a few vouchers that can be used on other things.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1