Re-Fare Question

MsSoCalCruiser

I have a friend that is booked on a cruise and final payment is several months away.  Her airfare is also booked on EZ Air.  We noticed a decrease in the fare so my friend contacted her TA.  The TA stated that it was for new bookings only and that she would have to cancel the cruise and her EZ Air, put down another deposit and rebook. I have never heard of a new bookings only fare so far prior to final payment. Does this sound correct to you? Are we missing something?  Thanks so very much!  

We’ve had to do this a couple of times, although EZAir was not a factor.  Had all Princess excursions cancelled and had to rebook them as well.  There are times when you can just refare a current booking and keep the same perks, packages and  OBC and other times you have to rebook and start again.  Our CVP says that it just depends on the particular sailing.  It’s quite frustrating, for sure. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

We’ve had to do this a couple of times, although EZAir was not a factor.  Had all Princess excursions cancelled and had to rebook them as well.  There are times when you can just refare a current booking and keep the same perks, packages and  OBC and other times you have to rebook and start again.  Our CVP says that it just depends on the particular sailing.  It’s quite frustrating, for sure. 

This 👆.

We've been down this exact road many times. 

• Like 5

If your friend is before final payment, then refaring is easy and has no encumbrances.  If the friend has made final  payment, it gets a lot more complicated, as you have noted.

Anyone here familiar with the current Princess requirement for final payment days?  My impression was that during the Covid thing, many cruise lines took the opportunity to fiddle with the number of days required for final payment.  I know of some that went from 90 days to 120 days.  What is the latest for Princess?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thinfool said:

Anyone here familiar with the current Princess requirement for final payment days?  My impression was that during the Covid thing, many cruise lines took the opportunity to fiddle with the number of days required for final payment.  I know of some that went from 90 days to 120 days.  What is the latest for Princess?

I don't know about other bookings, but our booking (made at the beginning of May) requires final payment 90 days before we sail.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, thinfool said:

If your friend is before final payment, then refaring is easy and has no encumbrances.  If the friend has made final  payment, it gets a lot more complicated, as you have noted.

Thank you. She is nowhere near final payment. She has several months before that happens.

42 minutes ago, thinfool said:

Actually, ALL of our cruises that I tried to refare were well before final payment.  Our CVP explained that Princess will only refare certain sailings regardless of final payment date.  So, not so easy in many cases.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Need to check booking parameters - if the initial booking was a non refundable deposit (which princess is doing much more now than before covid, especially on "low" categories like IF, OZ, BW, BF, ME), your friend might lose out on a portion or all of the deposit if they cancel and rebook.

4 minutes ago, cruisingrob21 said:

Need to check booking parameters - if the initial booking was a non refundable deposit (which princess is doing much more now than before covid, especially on "low" categories like IF, OZ, BW, BF, ME), your friend might lose out on a portion or all of the deposit if they cancel and rebook.

It was a refundable deposit. 😊

• Like 1

They have definitely changed the refaring policy.  Some new promotions only apply to new bookings.  For instance, I booked my November transatlantic in June 2022.  I had it refared it three times in 2022 with no issues, saving over $2000.  Then in January an amazing new promo came out and the cabin dropped another $1500 but I couldn’t refare - new bookings only.  I had to cancel and rebook.  Then in April another repricing occurred, and I was able to switch from balcony to mini-suite and save $20 in the doing (balcony prices didn’t change, mini suites dropped in price).   Then just last week, another huge price drop - mini suite guarantees dropped $1800 but I could not do anything at all because they have now stopped taking solo cabin bookings in any cabin category.   The new price only applies to new bookings, but I can’t cancel and rebook because of the block on solo bookings.  I am trying not to be annoyed (I have saved over $3500 on the price of cabin over the past year) but why do they show this amazing solo price and let you get all the way to the final booking page before showing an error message?

Just be careful if you decide to cancel and rebook.  When I cancelled in January they transferred my deposit to the new booking, and the gratuities and wifi i prepaid to beat the price rises, were refunded.  However shore excursions and Enclave bookings were not refunded.  I spent the next five months trying to get that $1000 back.  In the end I had to go to my credit card company. They got Princess to refund the shore excursions (i had the itemised receipt) but Princess have not refunded the Enclave booking (mastercard has finally reversed the transaction so I assume they will get it back from Princess themselves) - you do not get an itemised email receipt for spa bookings and spa payments do not show up on Princess’ accounts in the same place which apparently makes it hard for them to track when problems occur.  I had my credit card statement but of course all it says is Princess, not what the charge is for.  So make sure you print out your cruise documents with all of your payments itemised, and take screenshots of your personaliser showing all your bookings, before you cancel and keep them safe until all your refunds are back.  In total it took six months and a significant amount of time and effort to get that $1000 back and means that in future I will be reluctant to book extras for my cruises until right before final payment date.  

Edited by trinitygirl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Actually, ALL of our cruises that I tried to refare were well before final payment.  Our CVP explained that Princess will only refare certain sailings regardless of final payment date.  So, not so easy in many cases.

You don't by chance know where Princess might reflect that information on any of their itineraries listed on their website? In our case our TA has never had any issues refaring our bookings prior to FP where it made economic sense to do so. For example, a couple of months ago she was able to refare our upcoming Canada/NE cruise when a Vista Suite, whose category had been previously sold out for months, all of the sudden became available for $400 pp less + $100 pp OBC.

I'm not saying it's not true. I'd just like to read the wording in the applicable T&C.

6 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

You don't by chance know where Princess might reflect that information on any of their itineraries listed on their website? In our case our TA has never had any issues refaring our bookings prior to FP where it made economic sense to do so. For example, a couple of months ago she was able to refare our upcoming Canada/NE cruise when a Vista Suite, whose category had been previously sold out for months, all of the sudden became available for $400 pp less + $100 pp OBC.

I'm not saying it's not true. I'd just like to read the wording in the applicable T&C.

I wish that was the case.  There is no such wording anywhere and even our CVP doesn’t have prior knowledge until she attempts a refare.  I’m certainly not alone, as this scenario has played out many times with quite a few of our members on CC.  It’s strictly hit and miss.  Lucky for you, this has not been your experience.  Please see post #3 from a long time CC member.

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I wish that was the case.  There is no such wording anywhere and even our CVP doesn’t have prior knowledge until she attempts a refare.  I’m certainly not alone, as this scenario has played out many times with quite a few of our members on CC.  It’s strictly hit and miss.  Lucky for you, this has not been your experience.

I hear you. I just found this under Cruise Deals under View Terms and Conditions section, but this is the deal I was able to refare our NE/Canadian booking. 🤔

Up to 40% off Cruise Fares

Terms & Conditions

GENERAL TERMS APPLICABLE TO ALL OFFERS IN THIS ADVERTISEMENT (“Offer(s)”): Unless otherwise indicated in an Offer’s terms, Offers only available to legal residents of North America. Offers only available for new bookings, on select cruises, on a limited availability, are capacity controlled (regardless of stateroom availability), and may not be combined with other offers or promotions (aside from those listed herein). Other exclusions may apply; void where prohibited. Changes or refunds may not be permitted. Offers and their parts (if any) are not transferable, not substitutable, and not redeemable for cash. Princess Cruise Lines, Ltd. (“PCL”) is not responsible or liable for any printing errors. Offers may be changed or revoked at any time. A deposit is required for all stateroom guests and amount of deposit varies according to the cruise length, stateroom type, and number of stateroom guests.

2023-2024 Cruise Deals – Best Cruise Deals and Promotions - Cruises On Sale - Princess Cruises

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I hear you. I just found this under Cruise Deals under View Terms and Conditions section, but this is the deal I was able to refare our NE/Canadian booking. 🤔

Up to 40% off Cruise Fares

Terms & Conditions

GENERAL TERMS APPLICABLE TO ALL OFFERS IN THIS ADVERTISEMENT (“Offer(s)”): Unless otherwise indicated in an Offer’s terms, Offers only available to legal residents of North America. Offers only available for new bookings, on select cruises, on a limited availability, are capacity controlled (regardless of stateroom availability), and may not be combined with other offers or promotions (aside from those listed herein). Other exclusions may apply; void where prohibited. Changes or refunds may not be permitted. Offers and their parts (if any) are not transferable, not substitutable, and not redeemable for cash. Princess Cruise Lines, Ltd. (“PCL”) is not responsible or liable for any printing errors. Offers may be changed or revoked at any time. A deposit is required for all stateroom guests and amount of deposit varies according to the cruise length, stateroom type, and number of stateroom guests.

2023-2024 Cruise Deals – Best Cruise Deals and Promotions - Cruises On Sale - Princess Cruises

Pretty much confirms that Princess will decide what, where, when and how much with no consistency whatsoever.   My CVP gets very frustrated, but her hands are tied.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Pretty much confirms that Princess will decide what, where, when and how much with no consistency whatsoever.   My CVP gets very frustrated, but her hands are tied.

I notice you're from Toronto. I wonder if it has to do with which country you are booking your cruise from, as rules and promotions can be country specific at times. Just a guess from over here in the peanut gallery.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I notice you're from Toronto. I wonder if it has to do with which country you are booking your cruise from, as rules and promotions can be country specific at times. Just a guess from over here in the peanut gallery.

I don’t think so, because other members who share this experience are from all over the US.  I’m sure my CVP would also know if this were the case.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I don’t think so, because other members who share this experience are from all over the US.  I’m sure my CVP would also know if this were the case.

I was just curious. I had read that folks in the UK have to follow different booking rules than we do in the US.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I was just curious. I had read that folks in the UK have to follow different booking rules than we do in the US.

Very true..UK bookings follow a different set of T&Cs where we are allowed only one change in our bookings, at an admin fee of $100.

Seems so unfair when reading that our transatlantic friends can make several changes without cost, if their fare decreases. Maybe they are trying to bring things into line…would have preferred it if our rules followed USA though.

• Like 1

I think it may relate to rate codes also.

On my last cruise, I booked in December (May sailing). Before final payment, the price went down. Under my rate code or the new rate code, she could not re-fare my cruise (she had done it with many previous cruises, it is not that she doesn't know what she is doing). We had to cancel and rebook. I did not have air, so it wasn't an issue. I ultimately upgraded from a balcony to a minisuite for the same price and was pleased I did this. This was also for new bookings only.

I think this is becoming more common!

Edited by Coral
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, FritzG said:

Can a cruise be refared if the category is fully booked?  Our TA told me that she couldn't check to see if the fare is lower in a fully booked category.  

Years ago yes, but I doubt it now.

She should be able to see prices in POLAR even if it is fully booked but I doubt you can re-fare if the category is fully booked (now). Though reservations are very fluid and it is worth checking again to see if there are openings that happen.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

CAN = USA market in terms of booking rules and related policies you might say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With certainty, if PCL still offering the same Cruise Fare Code (3 alphanumerc) today that you booked under, then a re-fare is possible.

If the current Fare Code has expired and the new price is therefore a new Fare Code, it seems some agents can finagle a re-fare, but I would expect a cancel/re-book.

Also, it is possible to "lift and shift" some things to the new booking and not have a "do over".

In the situation of a cancel, try and plan to have the time to go in and cancel reservations like excursions and such that you are going to lose anyway.  When self-cancelled, this should trigger a refund back to form of payment.  IOW, "clean up" your res file before the agent executes the cancel/re-book.  Advice for all, but tagging @MsSoCalCruiser.

Be aware in advance if you can re-book your air at similar cost or not.  If not, have that discussion as to whether they can preserve the air.  Have TA speak to someone at PCL because this can happen.  Understand that you still have good acceptable flights to book and will any airfare increase cancel out out the cruise fare savings you are going after.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

With certainty, if PCL still offering the same Cruise Fare Code (3 alphanumerc) today that you booked under, then a re-fare is possible.

If the current Fare Code has expired and the new price is therefore a new Fare Code, it seems some agents can finagle a re-fare, but I would expect a cancel/re-book.

Also, it is possible to "lift and shift" some things to the new booking and not have a "do over".

In the situation of a cancel, try and plan to have the time to go in and cancel reservations like excursions and such that you are going to lose anyway.  When self-cancelled, this should trigger a refund back to form of payment.  IOW, "clean up" your res file before the agent executes the cancel/re-book.  Advice for all, but tagging @MsSoCalCruiser.

Be aware in advance if you can re-book your air at similar cost or not.  If not, have that discussion as to whether they can preserve the air.  Have TA speak to someone at PCL because this can happen.  Understand that you still have good acceptable flights to book and will any airfare increase cancel out out the cruise fare savings you are going after.

Just curious as you seem to be someone in the know. If we book a Princess cruise in a certain category cabin, say M1, through our TA on the first day it's available to the public, but not as part of any discounted TA Group Fare offering, and another couple books the M1 cabin right next to us on the same day but uses their TA's discounted Group Fare offering, would both bookings have the same 3-digit Fare Code you referred to above or would they be different?

I'm just trying to piece together how these Group Fare bookings work.