(Not quite live) from Iona - G318 - Fjords - 10th June

TigerB

8 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

Nice blog @TigerB, brings back memories of our Iona Fjord cruise last year and also a teaser for next year on our Britannia Fjord cruise.

Nice informative posts, good work, looking forward to learning more phrases.🤣

We had an 8 seater table for the 6 of us in Aqua on our Canaries cruise last year for most nights.  Looked after us well in there.

Here's one to be going on with...

Nithered

I'll leave you to mull on that one overnight 😀

• Thanks 1

@TigerB. Thank you so much for your fantastic blog. I'm just catching up on yesterday's posts and have moved on from everyone else's just to get to yours! Fab foodie pics, fab view pics, and fab fab fab sense of humour. Keep 'em coming. Just going to look up nithered now!  Jane xx

• Thanks 1

Last post of the evening as about to lose signal.

We are now in the open sea, and guess who we had just past port side to port side...

IMG_20230614_204029595.thumb.jpg.94a2d74d790998a3183424120bdaa4ea.jpg

Sorry for the quality of the photo; my phone camera is pants.

Night all 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Nithered, according to Paul, the weatherman on Look North Leeds,it means very cold. 

Well done, fella. A for you.

I am surprised to still have a signal, but am going to the 710 Club just now; here is just one more for tonight...

Pattyslapper

@TigerB Thank you for your blog so far, I'm really enjoying reading it. I do hope your daughter is ok. Even though it sounds that you were all expecting it, it doesn't make it any easier and especially when you are away too. I hope she feels less overwhelmed tomorrow and enjoys the remainder of the cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

One of our favourite places on Iona is the Olive Grove.  I was disappointed for what menus I have seen online for next years trip on Arvia.

I have had the lasagne a few times as well as the ravioli.  My favourite desert was the Baklava selection, well worth the £1 extra.

IMG_0032.JPEG

That baclava selection does look nice; our lass loves it, so one for the future.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CarlaMarie said:

@TigerB Thank you for your blog so far, I'm really enjoying reading it. I do hope your daughter is ok. Even though it sounds that you were all expecting it, it doesn't make it any easier and especially when you are away too. I hope she feels less overwhelmed tomorrow and enjoys the remainder of the cruise. 

Thank you for that, I think you may have got the wrong end of the stick. It was the mother of the best friend of my wife, not my daughter. 

Perhaps, when I write 'our lass' you thought I was referring to my daughter. No, around our way that term is used to refer to someone's wife, girlfriend, fiancée etc.😀

Morning folks from Haugesund; it's 15°C at the moment with clear skies; in his announcement earlier, the DC said it would get warmer. He mentioned how lucky we were and that in the seven weeks he has been doing the Fjord cruises this season, this one has had the best weather.

Our wet weather gear has remained hung up, and when we've been ashore we've worn nothing more than a t-shirt or shirt. Well, not just that; knickers, trousers and shoes too, for our lass anyway!🫢

Breakfast in the Aqua this morning was a bit of a mixed bag, service-wise. The young assistant waiter was full of beans, and couldn't be more attentive. The older waiter though appeared to have a CBA attitude; one of those that is all smiles and platitudes for his regulars, but can't be doing with interlopers. I suppose on a ship this big, you are going to get one or two like that.

We're back in the cabin just chilling; our lass is still feeling a little out of sorts, so we're not in a rush to go anywhere.

Our original plan was to have a bimble in the town this morning and take our tour this afternoon but, having cancelled that tour, we may just go into town after lunch.

The DC says it is about a twenty-five minute walk in the main part of town; no mention of gradients. There are no shuttles provided by P&O, not even for those needing assistance. I'll report back on whether that is okay, or if they've dropped the ball on that one.

We are just having a brew and enjoying the fresh air coming through the balcony doors, and the total silence on our side of the ship; there is nobody on the promenade deck or on their balconies, due to this...IMG_20230615_094203652_HDR.thumb.jpg.9980a9e8d28a8e8dbf7f9d773f2ad5bb.jpg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, TigerB said:

Our original plan was to have a bimble in the town this morning and take our tour this afternoon but, having cancelled that tour, we may just go into town after lunch.

The DC says it is about a twenty-five minute walk in the main part of town; no mention of gradients.

I believe the walk into town is over a steep gradient bridge and the pavement doesn’t always have slopes to get up from the street according to previous posters @SarahHben

Edited by Gettingwarmer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If there’s an easier route from the ship to town it wasn’t obvious, but we had to push mum in a wheelchair up and over the bridge, it was hard going!

I’ve attached a link to my husband’s video of us in Haugesund, it shows the walk over the bridge.

We struggled with the wheelchair in Haugesund as there were lots of hills. Mum wanted to get to the water front but we didn’t feel safe trying to get the wheelchair to where she wanted to go.

Edited by SarahHben
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Gettingwarmer said:

I believe the walk into town is over a steep gradient bridge and the pavement doesn’t always have slopes to get up from the street according to previous posters @SarahHben

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

If there’s an easier route from the ship to town it wasn’t obvious, but we had to push mum in a wheelchair up and over the bridge, it was hard going!

I’ve attached a link to my husband’s video of us in Haugesund, it shows the walk over the bridge.

We struggled with the wheelchair in Haugesund as there were lots of hills. Mum wanted to get to the water front but we didn’t feel safe trying to get the wheelchair to where she wanted to go.

Thanks for the replies, folks; that is useful information.

We're going to give it a go, she has a power chair; I'll take the spare battery.

• Like 3

When we last went there was a shuttle to the top of the town centre. Shame that is no more. I remember it being very hilly but at least we were then going downhill to the waterfront. I can’t remember the name of the place, but we found a building with a lift in it that we used to get down to the waterfront. The waterfront was pleasant but then I had to push my wife in her wheelchair over the bridge back to the ship. As I recall, the worst bit was getting up to the start of the bridge, which was very steep. Once on the bridge itself it was do-able but still an effort. They really do need to provide a shuttle. 

• Like 4

Because Mum was in a wheelchair due to an injury just before the cruise, we were all novice wheelchair pushers so probably struggled more than those of you who are more used to the challenges involved ☺️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, purplesea said:

Just looked at this with interest as we are due to call at Haugesund and Mum is in a wheelchair. So I know what to expect!

Just got back to the ship; I'll do a longer post later, with photos, that should assist you.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

When we last went there was a shuttle to the top of the town centre. Shame that is no more. I remember it being very hilly but at least we were then going downhill to the waterfront. I can’t remember the name of the place, but we found a building with a lift in it that we used to get down to the waterfront. The waterfront was pleasant but then I had to push my wife in her wheelchair over the bridge back to the ship. As I recall, the worst bit was getting up to the start of the bridge, which was very steep. Once on the bridge itself it was do-able but still an effort. They really do need to provide a shuttle. 

3 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

I believe a shuttle is there, provided by the local town and payable. I do not know if it could accommodate an electric wheelchair. 

As it happens, there are local shuttles provided, as you say. They are wheelchair accessible but, from what I could make out, would only accommodate one large wheelchair or two slim ones.

We didn't use it, but I enquired about the cost. NOK70 / £5.20 return.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, purplesea said:

Just looked at this with interest as we are due to call at Haugesund and Mum is in a wheelchair. So I know what to expect!

We walked into town but I remember thinking this isn't a good place for people with ability issues

That bridge is steeper than it looks both sides

710 Club

This remains a challenge for many to get in and, with the exception of several of the 00:15 shows, all shows are fully booked by the early evening of embarkation day.
Consequently, folk who wanted to go but couldn't because each show was showing as fully booked on the app, would probably resign themselves to thinking that is a lost cause.  Don't!

On the first night we attended, last Sunday, the host allowed seven couples as walk-ins.

I went to see them on Wednesday, alone; it's not our lass's bag. I spoke briefly with the host. I asked how many no-shows they get for each performance. She said it was fifteen to twenty, which, on the basis that the venue can safely accommodate up to sixty or so audience members, equates to between 25% and 33% non-attendance. She suggested that some guests may book so much that they simply forget. I told her I wasn't having that, and she doesn't have to make excuses for their selfishness. I told her about my suggestion that I had floated on here before, a £5 booking fee that is lost by non-attendees, and refunded to those that turn up. She had thought the same herself, and agreed, saying it was a workable solution that could be implemented.
She did say though that there were always sufficient walk-ins to cancel out the non-attendees.
I was sat near her station, and she had a good system. She would assign a number to walk-ins according to their times of arrival, and told them to wait outside, but nearby. At five minutes before the set started, she would call in the walk-ins by number order. It appeared to work well. She let in about sixteen walk-ins.

The experience...

The current band consists of:
Sebastian - pianist, lead vocalist, and MD
Adam - guitar
Ellis - bass
Ryan - drums.

The arrangements suit the talents of each of the band members.
Some of the arrangements result in a jazz/funk feel, which I am fine with, but the missus isn't.

Last night's set was On The Rocks; their interpretations of classic rock songs.  
At the 22:30 set they played:
Eagles - Hotel California
Led Zeppelin - Rock and Roll
Queen - Another One Bites The Dust
Boston - More Than A Feeling
Radiohead - Creep
Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child Of Mine
Prince - Purple Rain 

I don't think they stick to a rigid set list; Sebastian did ask for requests.
They are all good musicians and singers, and gel well together. As I have said, their interpretations of songs, because of the way they play, does have a slight jazz/funk feel, which may not be to everyone's taste; definitely not our lass's. I don't particularly like jazz, but I liked the way they played. If I had one criticism, it would be that Sebastian's mic needed to be higher on a couple of songs.

So, if you fancy it, but can't get a reservation, don't be too disappointed; if you get to the venue when the doors open, and don't mind waiting outside a little while you'll likely get in; you almost certainly will if you are in the first dozen to do that.

When I left the venue at 23:15 I was greeted by this sight in the atrium...

The silent disco is really popular on this ship, and was on Arvia. Our adult children and their partners did it on Britannia last September.
On our next cruise, if I have several shandies beforehand, I will have a go myself. 🎤🕺

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TigerB said:

As it happens, there are local shuttles provided, as you say. They are wheelchair accessible but, from what I could make out, would only accommodate one large wheelchair or two slim ones.

We didn't use it, but I enquired about the cost. NOK70 / £5.20 return.

Great to know that there is at least an option for wheelchair users.