Boarding in Vancouver

new2cruise

I was just there in May and from what I can remember:

The taxi line into the garage is quite organized. I arrived via taxi at around 10:30 AM.

The waiting area is slightly organized, with rows of folding chairs. Yes, it is crowded. Once boarding begins, it becomes a chaotic mess. Lines form from all directions, which eventually morphs into one single line. But everyone was respectful when all the lines were merging into one.

And while first boarding was scheduled to begin at 11 AM, it really didn't start until 11:30 AM. 

On disembarkation day, the taxi line to exit the terminal is very organized too.

Edited by MLBFan24

The last time we boarded in Vancouver, it took a very long time. We will be boarding again on this coming Tuesday.....not planning to get there early as the wait will be only longer.... we will just get there whenever and plan to sit and wait.

58 minutes ago, MLBFan24 said:

I was just there in May and from what I can remember:

The taxi line into the garage is quite organized. I arrived via taxi at around 10:30 AM.

The waiting area is slightly organized, with rows of folding chairs. Yes, it is crowded. Once boarding begins, it becomes a chaotic mess. Lines form from all directions, which eventually morphs into one single line. But everyone was respectful when all the lines were merging into one.

And while first boarding was scheduled to begin at 11 AM, it really didn't start until 11:30 AM. 

On disembarkation day, the taxi line to exit the terminal is very organized too.

Where do the taxis drop you off?  Can you hand your luggage over to the porters or do you have to lug your luggage up an elevator like a lot of people says happens.  Can Ubers and Lyfts drop off where the taxis go or is there a special place for them too?

On my last Alaskan cruise I stayed at the Pan Pacific Vancouver located at Canada Place. The hotel collects your luggage from the room and brings it to the ship. Also you go through US Customs before you enter the ship. So, if you have a GOES card the line is faster.

I was at Pan Pacific so I didn't have to deal with luggage or taxi lines.

I went at 10:15. Got through a line there quickly to check-in and then sat for a probably 30 minutes. Then we were allowed to go to another area where there was a different holding area. This area had Elite/Platinum/Suite area and the other area. Was there until probably 11:05 when they let us board. I was in my room at 11:19 then.

We're flying in from US to YVR.  We'll go through customs there, so will we have to go through customs again at the port?  We don't have a GOES card.

We're staying at the Auberge Hotel on W. Hastings.  Thought we'd just walk down to the port - Is this a good idea?    We're not Elite/Platinum or Suite, so it will take us longer, I'm sure

10 minutes ago, new2cruise said:

We're flying in from US to YVR.  We'll go through customs there, so will we have to go through customs again at the port?  We don't have a GOES card.

We're staying at the Auberge Hotel on W. Hastings.  Thought we'd just walk down to the port - Is this a good idea?    We're not Elite/Platinum or Suite, so it will take us longer, I'm sure

Yes - you will go through Canadian customs at airport.

Then, once at the pier, you will go through US Customs.

I doubt it will take you that much longer to get on the ship. Once boarding starts - it will go quickly. I have heard great things about your hotel.

1 hour ago, Nightowl11 said:

Where do the taxis drop you off?  Can you hand your luggage over to the porters or do you have to lug your luggage up an elevator like a lot of people says happens.  Can Ubers and Lyfts drop off where the taxis go or is there a special place for them too?

Taxis drop you off at a designated drop off spot. And a few feet from the drop off location, there are porters standing behind their designated area. They are very close to the drop off spot.  

Afterwards, I go into the terminal, following the signs and lines. No elevator required for me, but I did see some elevators.

This is quite different from other terminals I’ve visited where porters just roam around and it’s a free-for-all getting their attention.

The Vancouver drop off terminal area was very organized (at the time I arrived).

I have no knowledge of where Ubers or Lyfts are required to go during embarkation. For disembarkation day, I only saw a designated line for taxi pickups. I don’t know where people went if they chose the Uber or Lyft option.

Disembarkation day “taxi to YVR airport” rate - $38 Canadian dollars flat rate (plus optional tip)

Edited by MLBFan24
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ghgeckos said:

On my last Alaskan cruise I stayed at the Pan Pacific Vancouver located at Canada Place. The hotel collects your luggage from the room and brings it to the ship. Also you go through US Customs before you enter the ship. So, if you have a GOES card the line is faster.

Did this and by far, it is the best way to do Canada Place.  Worth every penny for the room.  If you become a member, the rate is slightly cheaper.  

plus

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Did this and by far, it is the best way to do Canada Place.  Worth every penny for the room.  If you become a member, the rate is slightly cheaper.  

plus

Best $10 tip I have paid in my life IMO!

• Like 1

Just did boarding this month. We had first group boarding and arrived about an hour early. The car line entering the arrival area was the slowest part. Once dropped off, the boarding process proceeded fairly quickly in assembly line fashion. Multiple checkpoints.

Not that bad. 

1 hour ago, ghgeckos said:

What is GOES?

17 minutes ago, nasa1974 said:

What is GOES?

Global Entry, Nexus or similar.

It didn't make a difference on my part (and I have Global Entry). I don't remember using it here. Maybe I did but I don't remember any line being horrible.

Edited by Coral

14 minutes ago, nasa1974 said:

What is GOES?

GOES was the system used to process, and the previous generic group name, for what is now called Trusted Traveler Programs (NEXUS, Global Entry etc.)

Back to OP @new2cruise - there is no possible time you can show up to be able to board by 11am! Even 11:30am needs a bit of luck, and either very few ships or high status/Suite to get a jump on the initial cattle call 'holding room' check-in.

If you want onboard as early as possible, 10am is a good time to show up - but you'll have a wait of indeterminate time until the ship(s) are confirmed Zeroed Out and CBP are ready to start preclearing the embarking pax. If you're near the start of the lines, they should move quickly - but then like reported above already, odds are very low the ship is ready! So there's another lurking lounge.

This 90+ minute waiting, even if you are the first folks at the pier, is why I prefer to board late instead! There's so much good stuff to do in Vancouver, even for us locals, that the 'cost' of missing out on a seated dining room lunch and instead having to hit the buffet or buy lunch ashore is well worth the big chunk of time saved - aim for two hours before sailway, to ensure you comply with final manifest deadline, and you should romp through all queues and have a total curb to cabin time of 20mins!

14 hours ago, new2cruise said:

yes, you will go through US customs again at the port right after going through security

39 minutes ago, Dynagirl said:

This list is showing the Crown Princess departing at 22:00 on the 13th.  I wonder if this is accurate since i thought we we leaving at 4:30 pm.

The official schedule indicates 4:30pm

https://www.portvancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/2023-Cruise-Ship-Schedule-as-of-April-25.pdf

(In some cases the larger ships will not leave until low tide, but will show an itinerary departure of 4:30pm, as you will need to be onboard by then. The schedule linked above will show the actual departure time)