ABC Islands and Ship Question

We've booked an October 2024 out of PC to Aruba and Curacao (8 night).  Found a great deal on a suite guarantee that was only $100 total more than a standard balcony for 2 of us - I couldn't resist that.  Now, it looks like its at least $500 more and climbing.

Excited because we have never gone there.  Bermuda the first time this October (2023) and then (at least the A and C part) in 2024.

Edited by RCFirstTimer
  • Like 1

Not that we care about which side of the ship we are on, but large ships like Allure don't fit at the normal pier in Aruba so they back in to the old industrial pier (starboard to shore).  Normal city pier is always port to shore.  Gate is between the two.

We've also noticed that Celebrity spends more time in port than Royal.

On 6/12/2023 at 2:32 AM, latebuyer said:

May i ask what makes the abcs such a great choice? They seem popular and i don’t really understand it.

We first went to the ABC's on our 10th cruise . Though we are addicted to cruising , and I don't think that will change anytime soon , we had gotten to the point where the ship was truly our destination and the ports were becoming insignificant 

...Until the ABC's changed that ! For us there is just a totally different vibe down there . All fantastic , but Aruba was the kicker on first cruise there . People are just so freindly and absolutely none of the mayhem that you would run into in say Nassau or Jamaica or the like with people clamoring over you to sell or take you somewhere . Favorites in order would go Aruba , Curacao , then Bonaire , however last time we did an amazing snorkel trip in Bonaire that we are itching to go again to. Head and shoulders service beyond any other company we had snorkeled with.

Cheers

• Like 2

On 6/11/2023 at 11:31 AM, md80fan said:

Looking at doing a ABC island cruise and we always get a balcony cabin. Just curious which side of the ship is best. We like watching the approach to the islands from the balcony and trying to figure out from which direction they usually approach from. I am guessing from West to East but not sure. Also which side would be great to view the port from the balcony. 

The other question is we have done mostly Oasis class ships and love them for Aqua shows and Central park but trying to decide on Odyssey vs Symphony. We have already done Symphony but curious thoughts on this cruise to the Southern Caribbean.

Thanks

We were on Odyssey in February and approached Aruba with the port side towards the island. We than turned and backed into the pier, so actually both sides worked on our cruise. We had an aft balcony, the midnight sail away was spectacular.

On 6/11/2023 at 12:43 PM, The Fun Researcher said:

Depends on what you were looking for. I love the eight and nine night itineraries out of Florida to the ABC islands. Typically they include either Labadie or Coco cay as well. Lots of sea days, which we love as well.  We especially like the two sea days back because we are not packing up the day after we get done with all the port stops. We actually have a full sea day to relax before packing up the next day.

I was going to say the same thing.  We love island stops, but we also like sea days; in our opinion, an ideal itinerary has a good balance of the two.  

You might say, "But you don't have to go ashore!  You can always stay on the ship."  True, but more island stops = higher fees, whether you disembark or not.  

On 6/11/2023 at 2:30 PM, Ashland said:

We like true afts for the wake view

They're the best!  

On 6/12/2023 at 11:46 AM, orville99 said:

There is also a Mangrove preserve directly across from the pier in Curacau that you can rent kayaks and paddle amongst the native birds, fish, etc. It was $15/pp to do the walking trails and $20/pp for the kayaks the last time we were there.

I soooo wanted to visit this place, but it was closed the day we visited.  Guess we'll have to go back.  

On 6/12/2023 at 11:58 AM, latebuyer said:

Thanks everyone. I don’t snorkel and wouldn’t rent a car so interested in the tours mentioned. What is in bonaire?

Honestly, these islands are fantastic for snorkeling and other water sports, but -- if that's not your thing -- you'll not find so much to do.  

1 hour ago, LobsterStalker said:

.... Aruba was the kicker on first cruise there . People are just so freindly and absolutely none of the mayhem that you would run into in say Nassau or Jamaica or the like with people clamoring over you to sell or take you somewhere ...

Aruba was our favorite of the ABC islands.  We loved Eagle Beach.  

6 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

We first went to the ABC's on our 10th cruise . Though we are addicted to cruising , and I don't think that will change anytime soon , we had gotten to the point where the ship was truly our destination and the ports were becoming insignificant 

...Until the ABC's changed that ! For us there is just a totally different vibe down there . All fantastic , but Aruba was the kicker on first cruise there . People are just so freindly and absolutely none of the mayhem that you would run into in say Nassau or Jamaica or the like with people clamoring over you to sell or take you somewhere . Favorites in order would go Aruba , Curacao , then Bonaire , however last time we did an amazing snorkel trip in Bonaire that we are itching to go again to. Head and shoulders service beyond any other company we had snorkeled with.

Cheers

Aruba was my favorite too. So much so that I've been back a couple times for land vacations. 

13 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Honestly, these islands are fantastic for snorkeling and other water sports, but -- if that's not your thing -- you'll not find so much to do.  

I agree the ABC's have the best snorkeling that we've experienced out of all of our Eastern, Western, and Southern cruises, but I wouldn't say that you won't find much to do if you don't snorkel or do water sports.

Aruba

For instance, last year our excursion on Aruba, which was fantastic, didn't involve any snorkeling or watersports.  

ARUBA SEA & SEE ISLAND TOUR

• SeaWorld Explorer: Sit in the glass-windowed hull to see sea life and a shipwreck site off the coast of Aruba.
  • California Lighthouse: Enjoy the views on the north point, with crashing waves on the windward coast and tranquil waters of the Leeward shore.
  • Geological Wonders: Admire the unusual Casibari Rock Formations and a nature-made bridge formed by wind and waves.

Bonaire

In Bonaire there are the

• Salt Pans
  • slave huts
  • flamingo reserve (Goto Zout- en Flamingomeer)
  • and many outstanding beaches just chill at.

Curacao

Curacao has that fantastic tour that I mentioned with Irie Tours.  Only one stop is specific to snorkeling, which is to see the sea turtles.  The others are National Parks, scenic flamingo viewing, or beautiful beaches (one of which has food and a full bar).  Here's the description:

"The west side of the Island is known for its nature, history and incredible beaches! Along the way our professional tour guide will tell you all about our island’s rich history.

Our first stop will be at National park Shete Boca. We’ll stay here for 45 minutes where you can walk around and enjoy the spectacular scenery of the north coast.

You have the option to visit the ‘Boca Tabla’ cave and/or watch large, unpredictable waves crush against the rocky coast.

We then head to Playa Piskado for a once-in-a-lifetime snorkel experience with sea turtles in their natural habitat.

The next stop is at breathtaking Kenepa beach, which is one of the most popular and photographed beaches on the Island. Here you have the opportunity to enjoy the breathtaking view or dive into the crystal clear blue sea.

And last but definitely not least, we will visit Cas Abao beach.

Voted in the top 21 best beaches in the world by National Geographic, Cas Abao beach is a must see! During this stop you can grab a snack at the beach bar, swim, snorkel or just relax on the beach.

On our way back to town, we drive by the salt lake of St. Willibrordus to see the flamingos."

1 hour ago, latebuyer said:

I believe there are abc tours that leave from san juan but i’d have to check. I’d like to go there as well.

I would highly recommend leaving from Puerto Rico at least once. Beware that it will cost you quite a bit more money because airfare is usually kind of pricey, and hotels in San Juan are somewhat expensive (they have a really high tourism tax). But it's worth it in my opinion. There are other islands besides the ABCs that are also great. St Lucia and Barbados are 2 of my favorites. I like both of those more than Curacao (I haven't been to Bonaire). 

In Aruba you can also check out the Aruba Trikes tour, it's a 3-wheeled motorcycle tour through the island, you can seat up to 3 people on the trike. I've done that tour twice. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Aruba was our favorite of the ABC islands.  We loved Eagle Beach. 

Our last stop we bought a day pass at one of the resorts which included access to the resort plus beach chairs and umbrella . Turns out It actually made the day soooo much better as it rained most of the day and we had much more space to roam . Even with the rain , ( one of the only rainy days we've experienced in the Caribbean other than a passing shower ) , still super relaxing stop

... Love it !

17 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Aruba was my favorite too. So much so that I've been back a couple times for land vacations.

Pre shutdown our last cruise went to the ABC's . As world travel was getting back underway , we were thinking we would not want to limit ourselves to a ship with too many rules and regulations , so we had fully intended a 2 week stop to Aruba . As it got down to crunch time things seemed to be loosening up enough for us to want to cruise , so we booked B2B with second Leg to ABC's instead. Got phenomenal pricing and got ARUBA... It was a win win !

Cheers

• Like 1

On 6/11/2023 at 12:43 PM, The Fun Researcher said:

Depends on what you were looking for. I love the eight and nine night itineraries out of Florida to the ABC islands. Typically they include either Labadie or Coco cay as well. Lots of sea days, which we love as well.  We especially like the two sea days back because we are not packing up the day after we get done with all the port stops. We actually have a full sea day to relax before packing up the next day.

I'm with you, we love sea days, especially on the last day. Our next cruise we have Coco Cay on the last day, and I was almost sad. But then I remembered...I'm going on a cruise, WooHoo! We did the ABC's on a 12 night out of Bayonne, and it was awesome 2 sea days, if I remember correctly, on each end.

Edited by cruise1957
  • Like 2

On 6/15/2023 at 11:16 AM, The Fun Researcher said:

SeaWorld Explorer: Sit in the glass-windowed hull to see sea life and a shipwreck site off the coast of Aruba.

We're doing a similar excursion on another island on our next cruise.  Can't wait!  

On 6/15/2023 at 12:50 PM, ARandomTraveler said:

In Aruba you can also check out the Aruba Trikes tour, it's a 3-wheeled motorcycle tour through the island, you can seat up to 3 people on the trike. I've done that tour twice. 

That sounds fun!  

19 hours ago, cruise1957 said:

I'm with you, we love sea days, especially on the last day. Our next cruise we have Coco Cay on the last day, and I was almost sad.

If I could have whatever I want, I'd like to have it for our last day, as it's a relaxing day.  

• Like 3

On 6/15/2023 at 4:33 PM, cruise1957 said:

I'm with you, we love sea days, especially on the last day. Our next cruise we have Coco Cay on the last day, and I was almost sad. But then I remembered...I'm going on a cruise, WooHoo! We did the ABC's on a 12 night out of Bayonne, and it was awesome 2 sea days, if I remember correctly, on each end.

I loved the extra sea days going down to the ABCs!!

On 6/12/2023 at 11:58 AM, latebuyer said:

Thanks everyone. I don’t snorkel and wouldn’t rent a car so interested in the tours mentioned. What is in bonaire?

The island is a snorkeling/scuba paradise and a great DIY with a car.  If you don't like either, stay at one of the beaches or arrange a tour to see the spots Fun researcher suggested and I would add the Donkey Sanctuary as well if you like animals.  A lot of people including me love Bonaire for the snorkeling so it's a waste to me personally not to take advantage of the opportunity to see the fantastic sea life but I realize everyone is different.

On 6/15/2023 at 10:31 AM, latebuyer said:

I believe there are abc tours that leave from san juan but i’d have to check. I’d like to go there as well.

I just booked the april 2025 southern ABC islands on adventure out of PC. Making me feel better and better .. that I can see them all and NOT fly. No thanks. I dont see why people want to fly to san juan if they can leave from the USA.

My next jan on carnival out of Galveston I see the A and C, not the B island...so now I'll see all 3. And not have to fly. 

What is the big attraction to san juan departures?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

What is the big attraction to san juan departures?

Port stops every day. No sea days. Often have stops in the Lesser Antilles, going as far south as Grenada. And San Juan is a nice place to visit pre or post cruise. 

Edit: if flying, not sure it makes a big difference flying to south Fl vs San Juan.

Edited by RedIguana
added flying part
  • Like 1

Another great thing about ABC islands is that they qualify as a distant foreign port.  We really enjoyed bringing Adventure to Bayonne by flying to Ft Lauderdale and then taking 12 days to get to NJ, including all the ABC islands plus St Marteen and Bermuda.  There was an air show in Florida, they did one of those sneaky buzz the ship runs, very loud and surprising. The only relocation  involving ABC on the boards currently is Tampa to Boston.

1 hour ago, RedIguana said:

Port stops every day. No sea days. Often have stops in the Lesser Antilles, going as far south as Grenada. And San Juan is a nice place to visit pre or post cruise. 

Edit: if flying, not sure it makes a big difference flying to south Fl vs San Juan.

PC, is port Canaveral.. I wouldnt call it south florida. I plan on moving there by the end of next year. Maybe it's cheaper your way, but I dont like the added level of stress flying adds. If I can drive or uber to a port, seems better. Maybe when i said PC you are thinking port Everglades or something.

Let's hope my move comes together. I do look forward to more choices but for now I just booked a few with new ports. .. before I'd fly to san juan. Getting too old to enjoy flying.

Norwegian has a great itinerary to abcs with st lucia (at least i want to go to st. Lucia) on their new viva ship in 2025. I’m from vancouver and airfare costs around 1000.00 or more to florida, not sure about san juan, so you definitely need to think about if the ports are where you want to go. The good thing are there are direct flights to miami.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Norwegian has a great itinerary to abcs with st lucia (at least i want to go to st. Lucia) on their new viva ship in 2025. I’m from vancouver and airfare costs around 1000.00 or more to florida, not sure about san juan, so you definitely need to think about if the ports are where you want to go. The good thing are there are direct flights to miami.

Drive to Seattle... It is way cheaper than flying our of YVR

14 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Maybe when i said PC you are thinking port Everglades or something.

I was just answering the attraction of cruising from San Juan, wasn't really commenting on your cruise out of PC. Guess I should have just said flying to Florida, although was really just trying to highlight the hour or so difference in flight times for those flying in. Nice thing about when you move here is that you will be within four hours of 4 ports (5 if you count the older carnival ships that depart Jacksonville). Port of Miami kinda sucks, but will do it for the right itinerary/ship. PC, PE, and Port of Tampa are all pretty good. Although I am only an hour north of PC, most of my Florida cruises have been out of Tampa (short 4-5 nights) and PE for the longer ones. I can only handle so many Nassau/Coco Cay stops, and Royal PC cruises pretty much always have these on the itinerary. I usually have found better rates out of PoM, Tampa, and PE, but that will always be random. The one drawback PC has over PoM/PE is the 8 hour difference in sailing time to the Eastern/Western Caribbean each way.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

I’m from vancouver and airfare costs around 1000.00 or more to florida

Flew out of Vancouver to Orlando non-stop on Westjet 2 weeks ago. 25,000 miles (Delta skymiles 12,500 per person), plus the Canadian $60 per person taxes, and the wonderful $40 per bag since Westjet doesn't honor Delta's free bag. First time I had flown basic economy in years, and first time on a "budget" airline. I only fly every few years though usually. All in all a pretty cheap flight, did not pay to pick seats.