NCL Free at See - drink part?

JoieNsk

We never sailed with NCL before.

Our first time will be in October of 2023 - after we got cancelled out for February on Epic, like a lot of other people.

We rebooked, got exciting itinerary and were able to use the 20% off for rebooking (NCL gave this discount due to them cancelling us). Everything worked fine. We are loosing money on cancelled flights for February. But since our flights mostly were booked for points, we are loosing mostly very small amount due to cancellation fees on rewards. Only one intra-European cash flight we are loosing completely, but it was not expensive. 

We got a great rate for our cabin - the same cabin as in February - but about 35% cheaper! So I am not that upset. A lot of work to rebook everything. But we still are coming on top with the great price for our cabin. Very much on top.

But I decided not to take the dining and drinking part of the "free at see" promo. If it was REALLY free - yes, I take it! But it is not.

Now I found out that you can't get prepaid beers with NCL to keep in your cabin - there is no option to buy any beer package in advance. At least I could not find any? The wine selection to pre-buy - to keep in your cabin - is very limited. This is a very big difference compared with Holland America, Celebrity and even Royal Caribbean (we sailed with all those line before).

So I am trying to figure out if I made a mistake not including the drink package. 

We are not big drinkers. Not into cocktails at all. Glass of wine or bottle of beer - or nothing for me, and 1-2 bottles of beer for my husband. And we really like to have our drinks in our cabin - on the balcony! But I like juices, and we both like coffees. 

$500+ bucks we would be charged for the "free" drink package feels like really a lot to me - considering our drinking habits. The more that it doesn't even include specialty coffees!? The more that our cruise is port-intensive. So we might even skip sit-down dinners and alcohol on some days at all.

Is somebody else with me? Or I am stupid and/or just don't know how NCL works?

Thank you in advance for the info!

Edited by JoieNsk

It’s really up to you if you feel it’s worth.  The gratuities are $21.80pp/pd.  Glasses of wine are $14-$15 and bottles of beer are $9-$10.  Since you know you are going to drink around what the breakeven would be, you probably won’t be that far off from what the gratuities are.  I would see the package as a way to try different things.  If you don’t like a wine, you can just grab another.  If you are on a ship with a District Brewhouse, you can try different beers that you won’t normally try.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, JoieNsk said:

$500+ bucks we would be charged for the "free" drink package feels like really a lot to me - considering our drinking habits.

You didn't say what cruise you're on, but at that price it must be a 11-12 day. As liljo pointed out, you'd breakeven at about 2 drinks a day per person. Anything above that would indeed be totally free.

It would suck to end up with a $700-800 bar bill at the end of the cruise when you could have gotten all you wanted for $500. If you're going to come even close to the $500, it would be worth it just to not have to think about it for 12 days. 

Just my opinion.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

It’s really up to you if you feel it’s worth.  The gratuities are $21.80pp/pd.  Glasses of wine are $14-$15 and bottles of beer are $9-$10.  Since you know you are going to drink around what the breakeven would be, you probably won’t be that far off from what the gratuities are.  I would see the package as a way to try different things.  If you don’t like a wine, you can just grab another.  If you are on a ship with a District Brewhouse, you can try different beers that you won’t normally try.  

Thank you very much!

I love beer - and ales even more. But I am not sure we will drink all that much on a port-intensive cruise.

But I really appreciate the pricing example! I will calculate again. 

We are paid in full though. As the cruise is 112 days out. I am not sure I can even add the "free" package anymore - even if I wanted too.

BTW..there are wines that are $9-$10 but to us they have been garbage.  We have been more likely to pay the difference for a $16-$17 wine that is better.  If you decide to get a $16 wine, you get credit for the $15 and pay the $1 plus .20 gratuity on the $1.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RB9643 said:

You didn't say what cruise you're on, but at that price it must be a 11-12 day. As liljo pointed out, you'd breakeven at about 2 drinks a day per person. Anything above that would indeed be totally free.

It would suck to end up with a $700-800 bar bill at the end of the cruise when you could have gotten all you wanted for $500. If you're going to come even close to the $500, it would be worth it just to not have to think about it for 12 days. 

Just my opinion.

Thank you very much!

I totally see where you are coming from.

But we had the opposite situation. When we got really free (included) beverage package and specialty dining - and didn't really use it much. At least we didn't have to pay for it, as it was included with the cabin.

But I feel like I drank more than I really would have normally - because I felt like I needed to make my money worth. Just because "I paid" for it :))) That was not a great feeling either :))) 

Maybe I am just that cheap 🙂 As we booked the cabin for the cabin and for the space. Didn't even know the drinks were included before we got on the ship. But I still felt like I was not making my money worth - unless I made myself to try everything 🙂

Edited by JoieNsk

I feel like if the coffees and water were included, the "free" drink package would be worth for us.

But my understanding is that neither the coffees, nor sparkling water are included into this package? Am I right?

I was even thinking - O'K, we can't pre-pay any beers to keep in the cabin. But if we have a drink package, we can get several bottled beers in the bar somewhere, and put them to the fridge in the cabin. To drink them later. 

But my husband suggested - what if they have to open them all right away in the bar?! I don't want to run to the bar every time I want a beer on the balcony.

I wish we could just buy some beer in advance - even for cruise price, and keep it in our cabin. Like we do on other cruise lines. 

Is it really not a thing with NCL?

Edited by JoieNsk

2 minutes ago, JoieNsk said:

I feel like if the coffees and water were included, the "free" drink package would be worth for us.

But my understanding is that neither the coffees, nor sparkling water are included into this package? Am I right?

That is correct.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, JoieNsk said:

We are paid in full though. As the cruise is 112 days out. I am not sure I can even add the "free" package anymore - even if I wanted too.

If you decided to, you can still add the drink package.  You have up to 24 hours before sailing

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JoieNsk said:

I was even thinking - O'K, we can't pre-pay any beers to keep in the cabin. But if we have a drink package, we can get several bottled beers in the bar somewhere, and put them to the fridge in the cabin. To drink them later. 

But my husband suggested - what if they have to open them all right away in the bar?! I don't want to run to the bar every time I want a beer on the balcony.

I wish we could just buy some beer in advance - even for cruise price, and keep it in our cabin. Like we do on other cruise lines. 

Is it really not a thing with NCL?

no guarantees, but a tip on your first few trips to the bar will get you good treatment throughout the cruise.  To the point where you could ask the bartender to give you un-opened bottles.  

• Like 1

One other thing to be aware of.

I assume that your cruise may be in Europe (as the Epic was). In some European countries (Spain and Greece, but there could be others) you can’t buy drinks whilst in port, so you need the beverage package in order to get a drink at times.

Given the long port times in some places this could mean that you can’t get a glass of wine with your meal unless you have the beverage package.

• Thanks 1

OK it looks like Epic 2 Oct Haven 11 night

(UK bookings the FAS is fully included for haven no extra charges)

DAY 1 Marseille (Provence), departs at: 7:30 pm
DAY 2-3 Barcelona - Overnight onboard arrives at: 8:30 am, departs at: 8 pm
DAY 4 Palma De Mallorca arrives at: 6:30 am, departs at: 10 pm
DAY 5 at sea
DAY 6 Naples arrives at: 6:30 am, departs at: 8 pm
DAY 7-8 Civitavecchia, Italy - Overnight onboard arrives at: 6:30 am, departs at: 7:30 pm
DAY 9-10 Livorno - Overnight onboard arrives at: 6:30 am, departs at: 8 pm
DAY 11 Cannes arrives at: 6:30 am, departs at: 7 pm
DAY 12 Marseille (Provence)  arrives at: 5 am

We tried PAYG on a couple cruises(not NCL)  recently to get a feel for our tolerance of seeing the spend against a up front paid and done  also see where we end up as a total against package without the gets your moneys worth feeling.   

For us(UK) cost(when not in Haven) of FAS on 11n is £199pp drinks bit is about the same as the grats US  which  tends to work out ok but we do review on a case by case basis.

Part of our port experience is partaking in beverage stops which can influence on board consumption which we factor.

If  you are maxing out the ports going off ship a lot with 3 overnights you may not need a lot of ship drinking time.  

Not sure about Epic but Star has rubbish beer selection anyway..

You should have no problems getting bottles of wine and other unopened beverages for the cabin.

On itinerary with drink restrictions bar staff are well used to people preloading there stock pile in the ports/time when they can get drinks. 

Depending where your Haven cabin is the bar may not be that far anyway.

If that is the cruise then I can see your dilemma.

if we were looking at that trip we would go basic cheapest option no FAS be off the ship a lot.

• Thanks 1

There are a few other option open to you that have not been mentioned.

As you like coffee and don't drink that much alcohol you might be as well to purchase the Starbucks package which would allow you unlimited coffee on board.

There is also the option (if available see thread below) to buy the Viva Vino wine package which will give you 6, 8 or 10 bottles of wine from $88, $98 & $110 respectively.

Just bring your own wine and pay the corkage ($15 a bottle I think).

A bit cheeky I know.......  but if you know someone with a package and tag along at boarding they could flash their card and get you unlimited bottles of wine on board foc.

Viva Vino:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2883019-viva-vino-wine-package-still-available-on-board/#comment-65165138

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing says classier then entering best room on Escape and other than butler saying name, next phrase 'we can't bring drinks to your room under package'.  That tells a lot.  So much for 'free at sea'.

So much for upscale Haven experience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

One other thing to be aware of.

I assume that your cruise may be in Europe (as the Epic was). In some European countries (Spain and Greece, but there could be others) you can’t buy drinks whilst in port, so you need the beverage package in order to get a drink at times.

Given the long port times in some places this could mean that you can’t get a glass of wine with your meal unless you have the beverage package.

Thank you VERY MUCH. This is very useful.

We have being to Spain once on a cruise -  but never to Greece. I don't remember having troubles with drinks. But we did have drink package at that point, though it was another cruise line. Granted we didn't pay for it - at least not additionally to the price of the cabin. So no decision needed to be made. We also pre-paid for beer and wine we kept in the cabin's fridge.

We also tend to eat and drink often in the town, when we go to European ports. Just to try local food - it's more fun. And we are having three overnights on this cruise. So I expect even  more local eating and drinking.

4 hours ago, insidecabin said:

OK it looks like Epic 2 Oct Haven 11 night

(UK bookings the FAS is fully included for haven no extra charges)

DAY 1 Marseille (Provence), departs at: 7:30 pm
DAY 2-3 Barcelona - Overnight onboard arrives at: 8:30 am, departs at: 8 pm
DAY 4 Palma De Mallorca arrives at: 6:30 am, departs at: 10 pm
DAY 5 at sea
DAY 6 Naples arrives at: 6:30 am, departs at: 8 pm
DAY 7-8 Civitavecchia, Italy - Overnight onboard arrives at: 6:30 am, departs at: 7:30 pm
DAY 9-10 Livorno - Overnight onboard arrives at: 6:30 am, departs at: 8 pm
DAY 11 Cannes arrives at: 6:30 am, departs at: 7 pm
DAY 12 Marseille (Provence)  arrives at: 5 am

We tried PAYG on a couple cruises(not NCL)  recently to get a feel for our tolerance of seeing the spend against a up front paid and done  also see where we end up as a total against package without the gets your moneys worth feeling.   

For us(UK) cost(when not in Haven) of FAS on 11n is £199pp drinks bit is about the same as the grats US  which  tends to work out ok but we do review on a case by case basis.

Part of our port experience is partaking in beverage stops which can influence on board consumption which we factor.

If  you are maxing out the ports going off ship a lot with 3 overnights you may not need a lot of ship drinking time.  

Not sure about Epic but Star has rubbish beer selection anyway..

You should have no problems getting bottles of wine and other unopened beverages for the cabin.

On itinerary with drink restrictions bar staff are well used to people preloading there stock pile in the ports/time when they can get drinks. 

Depending where your Haven cabin is the bar may not be that far anyway.

If that is the cruise then I can see your dilemma.

if we were looking at that trip we would go basic cheapest option no FAS be off the ship a lot.

Oh! Thank you!

Exactly my point!

It is the cruise!

About getting wine on the board - you mean you just get it in the bar by a bottle? I didn't even think about that for some reason. I would think the price would be the same as I would pre-buy it from NCL before the cruise. All the cruise lines charge a lot for them, so I assume they do charge the bar price.

News about rubbish beer are sad... :)))) But thank you for the heads up! Much appreciated!

3 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

There are a few other option open to you that have not been mentioned.

As you like coffee and don't drink that much alcohol you might be as well to purchase the Starbucks package which would allow you unlimited coffee on board.

There is also the option (if available see thread below) to buy the Viva Vino wine package which will give you 6, 8 or 10 bottles of wine from $88, $98 & $110 respectively.

Just bring your own wine and pay the corkage ($15 a bottle I think).

A bit cheeky I know.......  but if you know someone with a package and tag along at boarding they could flash their card and get you unlimited bottles of wine on board foc.

Viva Vino:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2883019-viva-vino-wine-package-still-available-on-board/#comment-65165138

Thank you!

I don't care about cheeky :)))

In fact I am thinking more and more about just buying all the allowed four bottles of wine/champagne (2 per an adult?) and bringing them with us. I already found couple wine shops near out AirBnb in Marseille! Even with $15 corkage fee it still looks like a great option!

My husband just will have to drink wine, if he would want a drink on the balcony without running to the bar - for a beer :))) Especially if they don't have decent beer - like it was mentioned. He is picky. 

I feel bad about confessing that - but we would avoid Miller by all possible means, - even though we are from Milwaukee, and it sounds very un-patriotic :))) But we have a o lot of other local beers in Milwaukee - much better than Miller!

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

Nothing says classier then entering best room on Escape and other than butler saying name, next phrase 'we can't bring drinks to your room under package'.  That tells a lot.  So much for 'free at sea'.

So much for upscale Haven experience.

This is funny :))))

I would think for the money they charge for those room regularly - they should make life more comfortable for people paying that much money! :)))) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JoieNsk said:

I am thinking more and more about just buying all the allowed four bottles of wine/champagne (2 per an adult?) and bringing them with us. I already found couple wine shops near out AirBnb in Marseille! Even with $15 corkage fee it still looks like a great option!

There is no limit, you can take as many as you like.

Here are the costs:
Can I still bring wine on board?
Yes, guests may bring sealed bottles of wine on board for personal consumption. They will be checked prior to embarkation and a corkage fee applied at that time of $15.00 USD for a 750 ml Bottle or $30.00 USD for a 1,500 ml Magnum bottle. Box wines are not allowed on board.

Corkage Fee is not applicable to guest with beverage package.

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Thanks 1

I don't know the setup in Marseille.

In Southampton security don't care and you would be rushed past any naughty table as you are in the Haven.

Barcelona some(all?) terminals  there is a duty free after security(but some ships pay to have it closed)

Not been through BCN for a while but again the naughty table has been more of a voluntary option as long as you took stuff out of its obvious packaging like a duty free bag or a wine shop bag.

(that's if they use port security for the overnight might be only part of the stay) 

• Thanks 1

Get the drink package. For about $20 a day pp, your husband can stock up on beer (my husband was always able to find bartenders who would give him 2 unopened beers at a time) and if you have the package, you can bring unlimited bottles of wine onboard for free (instead of paying $15 a bottle for corkage). You can also get free soda and virgin drinks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

you might be able to gift yourself some wine

https://www.ncl.com/uk/en/onboard-gifts/wine

Thank you!

I found the option of pre-paying for wine. It's in the gift section too - where all the party packages etc. The selection is very limited though. If I feel like I would not have enough of time to buy wine in Marseille before the cruise - I might go with those options. 

We have only one day in Marseille before the cruise - due to air tickets availability. So I am still debating - do I want to spend that day (even half of the day actually) running around to find wine? Or I would better get some wine on the ship in advance.

I am not that picky about wine. I just need it to be dry. Especially sparkling and champagne. As I get bad headaches from sweet wines.

But they unfortunately don't offer any beers to buy in advance. Though if their selection would be like Royal Caribbean's right now - we would not buy any beers anyways: extremely basic options, not the ones we would spend any money for (or drink - for that matter :))))) )