Costa Maya questions

vaindioux

Hi

We are cruising in October. One stop is Costa Maya.

we watched several youtube videos and are not too impressed so need opinions here.

most youtubers get scammed there, so renting a cart and go around alone like we wanted to do is out of the question.

people rent carts with some beach access included and when there, they ask for $10 extra for the beach.

You park your cart in plein sight while you enjoy a drink at a cafe 20 feet from it, upon leaving they ask for money since they watched the cart???

Bar bill should be $70 and becomes $100 for no reasons and still have to tip 15-20%.
We like to snorkel, a youtuber mentioned a nice place close by free from a beach.

i wonder if it’s a good idea, but $4 cab ride each way is nice.

The cruise has a tour which i would like to get some feedback here if possible.

The ruins would be ok but 2 hours in a van is long, and it’s not cheap ($120).

we don’t drink during the day to just hang out somewhere and drink 15 margaritas LOL

A nice resort pool or beach or both would be nice with a fee of course ($50?).

Maybe less harassment if in a resort.

Last year we went to the DR. The resort had ropes on the beach with discreet security there.

Nobody gets through.

We don’t mind spending money, are good tippers but no suckers.

we love meeting locals when abroad but it just ruins the experience to get scammed or harassed.

Thxs for the help

Pat and Kris

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/102-costa-maya/

we've been to Costa Maya many times, and we have never been harassed. One can stay at the port which is very lovely, has a pool, many stores, a bar and a dolphin show. We usually go to the beach along Majahual/malecon (we like Blue Kay beach bar - it has a lovely beach, not AI, you pay a small cover fee per adult and it includes a chaise and a couple of drinks - at least it did in 2019).

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

Costa Maya has some great options: 

Maya Chan, if you want an all-inclusive beach day: 

https://www.costamayabeachresort.com/

Several pay-as-you-go  options along the beach in Mahahual, with Krazy Lobster being a favorite. 

Mayan Ruins and Bacalar Lagoon Tours through Native Choice Tours: 

https://www.thenativechoice.com/

• Like 2

Jamie's is good.  We are actually renting e bikes on one of our stops.  We are also visiting the ruins Dzibanche and Kohunlich via ship excursion as 1.  we doubt many will attempt this with the long ride and 2.  more accessible than Chacchoben.  I do agree re golf carts.  I wouldn't bother renting them.  

Also any tips on shore or excursion for snorkeling?

I saw like 4 dive shops in a very nice youtube video in Majahual but the person never commented or went close up on them.

They got to have snorkeling tours too.

Thxs

1 hour ago, vaindioux said:

I saw like 4 dive shops in a very nice youtube video in Majahual but the person never commented or went close up on them.

Thxs

I used Dr Dive in October and had a great experience. I booked directly with them after arriving and was only charged $ 20 USD (online was $ 40). My ship was the only one in port and I was solo, so they added me with a family of 4 that had already booked.  You may want to book in advance if there are more than 2 of you or more than 1 ship in port scheduled that day (check here https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/costa-maya-port-455 )

On 6/14/2023 at 12:15 PM, vaindioux said:

Hi

We are cruising in October. One stop is Costa Maya.

we watched several youtube videos and are not too impressed so need opinions here.

most youtubers get scammed there, so renting a cart and go around alone like we wanted to do is out of the question.

people rent carts with some beach access included and when there, they ask for $10 extra for the beach.

You park your cart in plein sight while you enjoy a drink at a cafe 20 feet from it, upon leaving they ask for money since they watched the cart???

Bar bill should be $70 and becomes $100 for no reasons and still have to tip 15-20%.
We like to snorkel, a youtuber mentioned a nice place close by free from a beach.

i wonder if it’s a good idea, but $4 cab ride each way is nice.

The cruise has a tour which i would like to get some feedback here if possible.

The ruins would be ok but 2 hours in a van is long, and it’s not cheap ($120).

we don’t drink during the day to just hang out somewhere and drink 15 margaritas LOL

A nice resort pool or beach or both would be nice with a fee of course ($50?).

Maybe less harassment if in a resort.

Last year we went to the DR. The resort had ropes on the beach with discreet security there.

Nobody gets through.

We don’t mind spending money, are good tippers but no suckers.

we love meeting locals when abroad but it just ruins the experience to get scammed or harassed.

Thxs for the help

Pat and Kris

Leave the port area.  As you exit the pier, try and stay right on the side of the building to get to the rear back corner.

If they won't let you thru, work your way through the maze to get to the taxi stand.

$4 per person to a ride into ocean front Mahahuel. Shops, beach, massages,food, and more cheap.

Same location as Maya Chan Beach.

Plenty of cabs both ways and the town is fully walkable.

On 6/15/2023 at 7:13 AM, vaindioux said:

Thxs

try Pepe Dive

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 9:17 AM, mscdivina2016 said:

Leave the port area.  As you exit the pier, try and stay right on the side of the building to get to the rear back corner.

If they won't let you thru, work your way through the maze to get to the taxi stand.

$4 per person to a ride into ocean front Mahahuel. Shops, beach, massages,food, and more cheap.

Same location as Maya Chan Beach.

Plenty of cabs both ways and the town is fully walkable.

Just so you don’t confuse some body that is unfamiliar with Costa Maya, Maya Chan is not in town on the malecon and you get their transport from a different location. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 10:52 AM, Morgsmom said:

We enjoy Krazy Lobster.  No hard sell and no pushing.  Plus the $20 beach massages are wonderful.

Oh so right! We have been there 8 times. Mauricio at the Krazy Lobster is the best. If you have ANY issues just let him.know.  Once a guitar player would not move along so I went to Mauricio, and poof...he was gone in minutes. And the beach massages at 20.00 ! Try getting that on the ship ! Our 9th time will be in December.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2023 at 8:21 AM, JT1962 said:

I used Dr Dive in October and had a great experience. I booked directly with them after arriving and was only charged $ 20 USD (online was $ 40). My ship was the only one in port and I was solo, so they added me with a family of 4 that had already booked.  You may want to book in advance if there are more than 2 of you or more than 1 ship in port scheduled that day (check here https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/costa-maya-port-455 )

Thank-you, it’s very helpful.

Pat

On 6/14/2023 at 3:46 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/102-costa-maya/

we've been to Costa Maya many times, and we have never been harassed. One can stay at the port which is very lovely, has a pool, many stores, a bar and a dolphin show. We usually go to the beach along Majahual/malecon (we like Blue Kay beach bar - it has a lovely beach, not AI, you pay a small cover fee per adult and it includes a chaise and a couple of drinks - at least it did in 2019).

Is your post cut at the end?

We walk - it is a couple of miles away. Most people take a taxi. It’s very inexpensive. We always go to the Krazy Lobster. Mauricio is a fabulous host. 

Edited by Jeal

3 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

How much is Crazy Lobster?  Do you reserve in advance on line?

Krazy Lobster is PAYG. You do not need to reserve in advance. You can probably find a menu on an  online search if it isnt on the website.

• Thanks 1