Hawaii from San Diego

catty

I can’t speak to the crossing, but you should know that January/February is the rainy season. Last year multiple ships were turned away from tendering into both Kona and Lahaina due to weather. I would expect some rain daily- more if you visit the wet side of the islands (Princeton, Hilo, Hana, etc…). But even so the weather is significantly better than Michigan winters 🙂

• Like 3

4 hours ago, catty said:

Has anyone done this cruise during Jan? How cold was the weather? Seas rough? 

Have done this route twice with Princess from SF and LA..... From SF one year, we probably had 6 to 8m swells even though the weather was fine outside (sunny). A lot of people were absent from the MDR b/c of seasickness. From LA, the water was much calmer. The first full sea day will likely be chilly, but the second full sea day starts getting warmer and then by the 3, 4 or 5th, it'll be much closer to Hawaiian weather.

No issues with rain for me or tendering at Lahaina.

Edited by Mike07
  • Like 2

It will be somewhat cool and rougher seas sailing out of San Diego, getting warmer and smoother seas  as you get closer to the islands, and the reverse is true on the return voyage.   We sailed in February 2023.  There were rough seas around Lahaina and we missed that tender port.  The Captain reversed Lahaina and Kona hoping the seas would improve but didn’t.  We tendered in Kona with no problem.  Lahaina was substituted with an overnight in Hilo, giving us an extra day in Hilo which we enjoyed.  The excursions group added excursions to Volcanos National Park for that second day.  Warm rain has to be expected when you visit Hawaii and as I recall we had rain in Hilo when we visited Volcano’s Nat’l Park and a short rain in Honolulu during our nature hike.

Be aware that with HIA excursions will fill up quickly so book in advance.  Bring a poncho or light rain jacket.  

• Like 1

We did a long Beach to Hawaii on a Carnival ship during the winter.  Can't remember if it was Jan or Feb.  I felt the crossing was cooler until we got close to Hawaii as others have said.  So pack a jacket.  And if I remember correctly, the seas were rough as others have said, but well worth the inconvenience of cooler temps & rough seas.

We've been on Panama canal cruises where the weather was down right cold & seas were rough, so no matter where we are going I pack light jackets & prepare for all weather possibilities.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I can’t speak to the crossing, but you should know that January/February is the rainy season. Last year multiple ships were turned away from tendering into both Kona and Lahaina due to weather. I would expect some rain daily- more if you visit the wet side of the islands (Princeton, Hilo, Hana, etc…). But even so the weather is significantly better than Michigan winters 🙂

Thank you! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Thank you 

Aloha.  We divide our time between NY and Honolulu. True it is the rainy season but rarely do we encounter days and days of rain.  The crossing may be rough but it is the Pacific. I went to Law School in Michigan and Hawaii is certainly better in January than Michigan and NY lol! We tolerate heavy seas but I respect that not everyone can so please factor that into your decision. Please keep us informed and all the best!

• Like 1

We enjoyed pleasant weather in January, 2015. I heard of seasick passengers our second day out. It was too cool for most passengers to sit out on the promenade deck, not for me. Coming from the Midwest in January, I toured Midway aircraft carrier in San Diego in my shirtsleeves when others were wearing coats.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, LouChamp said:

Aloha.  We divide our time between NY and Honolulu. True it is the rainy season but rarely do we encounter days and days of rain.  The crossing may be rough but it is the Pacific. I went to Law School in Michigan and Hawaii is certainly better in January than Michigan and NY lol! We tolerate heavy seas but I respect that not everyone can so please factor that into your decision. Please keep us informed and all the best!

Aloha!! We winter in Maui. Last winter (2023) it rained pretty much every day Jan/Feb. Not all day, but the vast majority of days saw a bit of liquid sunshine. The first week of March brought thru a terrible Kona low with 2 solid days of rain. Total wash outs. First time I've seen that happen. The full timer residents were beside themselves lol. April was a bit rainy too in comparison. Of course, 2022 saw hardly any rain at all. An extremely dry winter. Weather is as weather does I suppose.

To the OP: I would not let weather stop me from visiting Hawaii anytime of the year 🙂 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Aloha!! We winter in Maui. Last winter (2023) it rained pretty much every day Jan/Feb. Not all day, but the vast majority of days saw a bit of liquid sunshine. The first week of March brought thru a terrible Kona low with 2 solid days of rain. Total wash outs. First time I've seen that happen. The full timer residents were beside themselves lol. April was a bit rainy too in comparison. Of course, 2022 saw hardly any rain at all. An extremely dry winter. Weather is as weather does I suppose.

To the OP: I would not let weather stop me from visiting Hawaii anytime of the year 🙂 

Aloha. By the way I love Michigan. The people are fantastic.  On an interesting note, I fly back and forth often so a few years ago I flew NY to Honolulu for some personal reasons and hit a hurricane/typhoon. Flew back to NY and then a few days later flew back to Honolulu and hit another one lol. Fortunately little damage and injuries.  We love Maui but settled on Oahu because of the direct flight on Hawaiian from JFK or can fly Newark on United but use Hawaiian primarily. All the best.

• Like 1