Formal or not?? (rant)

2 hours ago, Purplsmurf said:

I’m just hoping that formal isn’t required. I don’t have formal clothing nor do I plan to buy it for one cruise. On our cruise line of choice we don’t have to dress formal.

You'll get lots of opinions, but as long as you don't wear shorts or raggy jeans to the MDR, you are probably good.

• Like 4

People stick to the white and gold theme about as well as they dress formally on formal night. Some do, others ignore it entirely.

Gosh, I rarely see people complain about potentially having to go out and shop for a new dress. In my book, any reason is a great excuse to go to the shopping mall! (Yes, I even bought a new dress for my nephew's high school graduation party, but the event was quite casual as compared to a cruise night.)

I have also NEVER worn the same formal dress two consecutive times on a single cruise.  I pack for all my photo opportunities, so every night is different and special.  We also have clothes specific to the climate of the cruise--heavier and darker in colder places or Winter cruises, lighter and brighter in warmer weather cruises or Summer.

Not sure what the big complaint is about white and gold night--you can wear gold, or white, or both, or neither.  I, for one, love sparkle, and I have all of those colors already, as well as silver, copper, etc. We also cruise on Cunard and they have fun theme nights as well, although husband has it easier as the tuxedo works every time. He just changes his bowtie.

I am bringing a beautiful new gown with me on the Enchanted Princess next month, and I am taking it in my carry-on so there will be no risk of loss in my luggage. I love that dress and I cannot wait to wear it!

My main packing challenge is limiting my shoe choices in the suitcase!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Colorado Coasty said:

Another ridiculous idea from the current ridiculous PCL leadership.

But now they hope to sell additional photo's - one a formal night and in addition one for a white and gold night whereas if both night were designated a formal people wouldn't spring for duplicates. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, 1emerald1 said:

You won't be rebellious.  Maybe 5 people will do the white and gold.  Who looks good in white?  So ridiculous.

Exactly, unless you are a bride or 6 years old and sometimes not even then! With the exception of Princess Catherine of course!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

Gosh, I rarely see people complain about potentially having to go out and shop for a new dress. In my book, any reason is a great excuse to go to the shopping mall! (Yes, I even bought a new dress for my nephew's high school graduation party, but the event was quite casual as compared to a cruise night.)

I have also NEVER worn the same formal dress two consecutive times on a single cruise.  I pack for all my photo opportunities, so every night is different and special.  We also have clothes specific to the climate of the cruise--heavier and darker in colder places or Winter cruises, lighter and brighter in warmer weather cruises or Summer.

Not sure what the big complaint is about white and gold night--you can wear gold, or white, or both, or neither.  I, for one, love sparkle, and I have all of those colors already, as well as silver, copper, etc. We also cruise on Cunard and they have fun theme nights as well, although husband has it easier as the tuxedo works every time. He just changes his bowtie.

I am bringing a beautiful new gown with me on the Enchanted Princess next month, and I am taking it in my carry-on so there will be no risk of loss in my luggage. I love that dress and I cannot wait to wear it!

My main packing challenge is limiting my shoe choices in the suitcase!

At 2 weeks notice there is no time to shop and why would any of us buy something we would never be seen dead in at home?

• Like 1

My goodness, all the dress code stuff still gets cruisers into a bad place.  My message to the OP is, dress the way you please.  A majority of folks on your cruise will not pay any attention to silly things like "white and gold,"  "orange night on HAL," etc.  These days, it has become more of an "everyone does their own thing."  On Princess, a majority of folks do dress a little nicer on the dressy nights, but theme dress is not a big deal.   I will admit that having spent far more than 1200 days on cruise ships (as a passenger), DW and I have NEVER paid any attention to theme nights/dress.  And somehow we have survived :).

Hank

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, darknightsdespiser said:

No British adult I have ever met would ever go for a night out in white and gold so for many (most?) this would now entail frantic online shopping. 

Haha - are you on the 1st July sailing out of Southampton on Sky? As a British adult I completely agree with your thinking apart from the suggestion of going out to buy something! Not a chance. Hubby has a white tux that he might or might not take, depending on his mood (probably not if he thinks others will be doing the same - he prefers to be different!). I would NEVER wear white or gold so will be wearing whatever still fits from the dresses I bring. If you're on our cruise I will look out for someone dazzling in a glorious purple gown!

• Like 1

White underwear, gold wedding ring and LBD I'm good to go!

Honestly I did wear white and gold on our last cruise as I was planning to anyway - dark gold silk pants and cream blouse ( a regular evening outfit) and no one else including the captain's wife was in white and gold.

Next cruise I don't have to worry about flying and my formal wear will be full length goth dress, corset and tiara. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, darknightsdespiser said:

Thanks all, loving some of the comments and looking forward to waving my flag at the British sail away😁😃

Maybe you need to get one of those Geri Halliwell (aka Ginger Spice) Union Jack mini-dresses.

Edited by DCThunder
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Crystaltipps67 said:

Haha - are you on the 1st July sailing out of Southampton on Sky? As a British adult I completely agree with your thinking apart from the suggestion of going out to buy something! Not a chance. Hubby has a white tux that he might or might not take, depending on his mood (probably not if he thinks others will be doing the same - he prefers to be different!). I would NEVER wear white or gold so will be wearing whatever still fits from the dresses I bring. If you're on our cruise I will look out for someone dazzling in a glorious purple gown!

Now I never said I would be dazzling, far from it, old and frumpy!

22 hours ago, bassmk said:

I think you'll find lots of people won't stick to the white and gold theme. Think of the folks who never check their email or that email goes to the junk folder. You're good...wear the purple dress. 😄

we for sure won't be wearing white and gold. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Catchum said:

White underwear, gold wedding ring and LBD I'm good to go!

Honestly I did wear white and gold on our last cruise as I was planning to anyway - dark gold silk pants and cream blouse ( a regular evening outfit) and no one else including the captain's wife was in white and gold.

Next cruise I don't have to worry about flying and my formal wear will be full length goth dress, corset and tiara. 

Okay, so first thing first - I am not a woman (nor a non-male human, nor a birthing human).  But I think if I were wearing a LBD, the undies would also be black.  😉

Edited by Steelers36
  • Haha 3

On 6/16/2023 at 2:24 PM, darknightsdespiser said:

I have been so in favour of retaining the formal nights and was looking forward to 2 evenings wearing my lovely purple dress. Today with less than 2 weeks to go an email arrives saying the 2nd formal is white and gold. No British adult I have ever met would ever go for a night out in white and gold so for many (most?) this would now entail frantic online shopping. My point is that if the existing dress can only be worn once there isn't a lot of point in it taking up space and this could herald the end of many of us bothering which would be sad.

I always take one dress (dark blue velvet), and change out the accessories.  I agree that you'll find people who won't be strictly white and gold.  You can certainly accessorize a purple dress with white/gold add-ons.  I wouldn't go out an buy another dress.

Edited by Shmoo here
  • Like 3