Rained Out?

NJRonbo

1 hour ago, NJRonbo said:

That's interesting.

So, what you are saying is that we are on a cruise to Bermuda.  However, if the weather is bad, they'll side track the island and take us to another set of islands instead of staying out at sea?

I thought it was an Eastern Caribbean cruise out of Florida. My bad.

Right now looking at the cones this storm is going heading straight west and probably won’t come close to Bermuda but living in Florida for 30 years and having experienced many hurricanes we have learned that they have a mind of their own and nothing is written in stone.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 1

You may wish to wait and find out what path the hurricane may take.   Right now the spaghetti models are all over the place.     I am not sure the exact cruise your taking.

The captains are really good at choose a route to minimize discomfort and I've been on many cruises where the captain either drops a port or chooses a different port to avoid a storm.

Most models are predicting the route will be south of Cuba.  Another good resource is on Twitter  - RCL Meteorologist James Van Fleet starts posting when when ships are rerouted.

image.thumb.png.e94339a4a93bd65e2e420070df8cff8e.png

7 hours ago, NJRonbo said:

That's interesting.

So, what you are saying is that we are on a cruise to Bermuda.  However, if the weather is bad, they'll side track the island and take us to another set of islands instead of staying out at sea?

Possible?  Yes.  But IMHO highly unlikely.  If you were on a Caribbean sailing, they might adjust the islands or order of island visits to miss extremely bad weather (ie., hurricanes or tropical storms).  But Bermuda is not in the Caribbean and I would be shocked if they put you on a completely different itinerary like a full Caribbean cruise.  They also don't change itineraries just for rain or thunderstorms, only severe weather.

As to inside vibe when the weather is bad?  It gets very crowded inside in all venues, particularly if the ship is full.  I've never known them to add activities, but they may adjust some pre-planned outside activities to enable them to take place indoors.  

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Another good resource is on Twitter  - RCL Meteorologist James Van Fleet starts posting when when ships are rerouted.

I agree that Mr. Van Fleet and his tweets are a good resource.  But he no longer works for Royal.

12 hours ago, NJRonbo said:

That's interesting.

I believe the Captain would head to Atlantis.😀

In the past I believe that some Bermuda cruises out of NJ were turned into Canada cruises because of storms but it is a rare occurance.  Each situation will have to sorted out at the time based on storm track, optional port availability.

Ronbo, please keep us posted. We are doing the same trip in 3 weeks and the weather is always a question.

• Like 2