Onboard Marina Now

vlthom

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for so generously sharing your cruise with all of us here at Cruise Critic. Once you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review."

vlthom was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Boarded in Southampton at around noon today.  Very smooth embarkation process.  We breezed through and were aboard the ship within minutes.  Our first observation was that we have a somewhat younger crowd onboard, including at least a handful of children.  School is out, so it isn’t surprising.  Our concierge stateroom was available precisely at 1:30pm.  Everything appears to be in fine condition.  Of the public spaces that we’ve visited so far, everything looks fine, too.  In our stateroom, I did notice that we do not have the usual high-end toiletries.  Instead, we have what’s shown in the photo.  No conditioner, nor bath gel included.  We haven’t yet met our stateroom attendant to inquire about these, but wonder if this is a sign of cost-cutting.  IMG_1062.thumb.jpeg.35694d4cfd27d00744962936e7952e42.jpeg

2 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

1.  How is the Wi-Fi?  2? How are the cookies?

Thanks!

We haven’t left the port yet so it’s hard to say about the wifi.  We noticed that our cabin has a wifi extender on the ceiling which is something we haven’t had previously, so perhaps our connectivity will be better than usual.  I can’t yet comment on the cookies…..trying to keep my distance as I know that I will be tempted to try them but will be disappointed.  I’m sure that I will eventually give in.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, vlthom said:

We haven’t left the port yet so it’s hard to say about the wifi.  We noticed that our cabin has a wifi extender on the ceiling which is something we haven’t had previously, so perhaps our connectivity will be better than usual.  I can’t yet comment on the cookies…..trying to keep my distance as I know that I will be tempted to try them but will be disappointed.  I’m sure that I will eventually give in.

I am scheduled for a transatlantic on Marina so am very interested if the Wi-Fi has improved.  I can do without the cookies. Thanks!

• Like 1

I too can do without the cookies, but I'm curious to know who the artist in residence is, and whether they will still be on board in July and August.

Those toiletries do look a bit 'medicinal', so perhaps they are meant for an allergy sufferer.

Bon voyage.

• Like 1

Thank you for taking the time to give "Real Time" information.  I was supposed to go on the Marina but cancelled due to covid-19.  It was interesting some of the comments given on the toiletries. I never new one could ask for special items like that due to allergies.  But it does make sense. I know what it is like to take my vacation days and help folks on social media.  It is a very kind gesture you are doing and respected by many. 

On that note, I have no idea why anyone would post Oceania Policy Updates for Administration Fees on a stream about live impressions of a ship.  Hijacking a kind stream seems to be well, kind of rude.  Just know, your efforts are noticed. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment as well as much improved cookies.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Don't want to see any kids on O, that's the only thing I like about Viking oh and the spa.

Well you cannot stop people from bringing their children 🙄

Maybe you will have to stick with Viking  or Virgin

• Like 3

VaniCream is for those with skin delicacies. My dermatologist recommended this brand for deodorant as I kept breaking out with others. This brand is not cheap and you have to order it online as it is not found in stores. I'm impressed that Oceania included this. As I said it is not cheap!

• Like 2

Dinner was in Red Ginger tonight just following happy hour in Martinis.  Happy Hour was not as well attended as I would expect, but perhaps it was because it was embarkation night.  Dinner was as fabulous.  Duck and watermelon salad was divine.  Same for the sea bass.  Disappointed to find a note from Destination Services about the cancellation of our booked excursion in a couple of days.  We’re hoping to get a substitution but must wait until tomorrow to know for sure.  Wifi seems about the same as always….slow but working. DH received a call just as we were leaving port.  It was an internet call and he claimed that it was quite good with no drop offs.  We are at sea tomorrow with the Captain’s party in the evening.  I still have not tried the cookies, nor seen them.  There definitely are children on board.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, vlthom said:

Dinner was in Red Ginger tonight just following happy hour in Martinis.  Happy Hour was not as well attended as I would expect, but perhaps it was because it was embarkation night.  Dinner was as fabulous.  Duck and watermelon salad was divine.  Same for the sea bass.  Disappointed to find a note from Destination Services about the cancellation of our booked excursion in a couple of days.  We’re hoping to get a substitution but must wait until tomorrow to know for sure.  Wifi seems about the same as always….slow but working. DH received a call just as we were leaving port.  It was an internet call and he claimed that it was quite good with no drop offs.  We are at sea tomorrow with the Captain’s party in the evening.  I still have not tried the cookies, nor seen them.  There definitely are children on board.

A simple question and please answer anytime.  We purposefully left our first night dinner open hoping to gain a waitlist for a specialty restaurant.  Did you have pre-arranged reservations at Red Ginger or did you gain them once you were on-board. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

7 hours ago, vlthom said:

, I did notice that we do not have the usual high-end toiletries.  Instead, we have what’s shown in the photo.  No conditioner, nor bath gel included.  We haven’t yet met our stateroom attendant to inquire about these, but wonder if this is a sign of cost-cutting.  IMG_1062.thumb.jpeg.35694d4cfd27d00744962936e7952e42.jpeg

Did you request  scent free toiletries?

If not did they exchange them for you ?

46 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

A simple question and please answer anytime.  We purposefully left our first night dinner open hoping to gain a waitlist for a specialty restaurant.  Did you have pre-arranged reservations at Red Ginger or did you gain them once you were on-board. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

We used one of our planned reservations for Red Ginger on embarkation night.  In the past, we got an extra night in a specialty restaurant by purposely leaving the first night open.  It’s a good strategy if one wants additional nights.  We felt that we had enough and preferred to just go on a night when the timing was convenient.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Did you request  scent free toiletries?

If not did they exchange them for you ?

We did not specify a need for scent free toiletries; however, I did request hypoallergenic bedding (no feathers) so perhaps our cabin attendant made the assumption about the toiletries.  I did not have an opportunity to see her and talk to her about it.  I was busy searching for my bag which was misplaced and delivered to the wrong stateroom.  It was the first time that we did not receive luggage tags ahead of time.  Tags were readily supplied when we arrived at the port, but it appeared that the cabin number was not written clearly enough by the person who placed the tag on my bag.  Hence, someone else got my bag and had rewritten the cabin number more boldly.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, willidc said:

Check with your cabin attendant.  That looks like the special request allergen free toiletries.  Perhaps requested by previous occupant of your cabin.  Or maybe meant for another cabin.  

On the cruise we just got off of my wife received the next evenings menu and to mark her choice by 10am the next morning. Having never received this we enquired at reservations the next morning and apparently her acct had been marked as food allergies. We told them she didn’t have any but for the next tif nights at dinner the waiters were concerned about it. It finally went away. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, vlthom said:

We did not specify a need for scent free toiletries; however, I did request hypoallergenic bedding (no feathers) so perhaps our cabin attendant made the assumption about the toiletries.  I did not have an opportunity to see her and talk to her about it.  I was busy searching for my bag which was misplaced and delivered to the wrong stateroom.  It was the first time that we did not receive luggage tags ahead of time.  Tags were readily supplied when we arrived at the port, but it appeared that the cabin number was not written clearly enough by the person who placed the tag on my bag.  Hence, someone else got my bag and had rewritten the cabin number more boldly.  

If you don't see them, just leave a note where they will see it and they will probably fix it right away or the next service.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

If you don't see them, just leave a note where they will see it and they will probably fix it right away or the next service.

Agree we often leave a note on the bed for soft drinks we prefer, extra soap, etc. and always promptly provided.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, basenji56 said:

I am scheduled for a transatlantic on Marina so am very interested if the Wi-Fi has improved.  I can do without the cookies. Thanks!

WiFi "quality" is really "how much bandwidth is the ship willing to buy?".

StarLink aside, there is more than enough bandwidth available until you get to about latitude 80º N or S.  The problem is that bandwidth is much more expensive north of Spain or south of Tasmania.

Personal experience on an eastbound TA (not Oceania, tho):  Superb internet from Florida to the Azores, dialup-like after leaving Ponta Delgata when we had to switch from MEO satellites to Geosynchronous satellites. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I also boarded the Marina today in Southampton.  We have the usual Bulgari Toiletries in our PH suite.  We had dinner in Toscana and it was good.

There was no muster drill only a message in all the rooms from the CD. 

So far all is well.

Terri

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m on Marina right now as well, our first O cruise, 3rd “grownup” one. Way more kids than expected, the pool before embarkation was loud. Our PH is very nice, spacious and a nice sized balcony. 

Had the spa tour and abou 90 second free massage, definitely got less than the other ladies were offering😖 but it was fine.  Went for the $500 spa drawing at 5:15 which took awhile as they pitched their various services. And there were 3 smaller gifts, not a single $500.  I don’t think there’s anything you can buy with the $100 one except a manicure which I’m told is $79😳😳😳.

We had no dinner reservation, walked into the MDR, said we were willing to share a table, and were offered Red Ginger as an option.  They walked us over and we sat with a lovely couple (not on CC) from Calgary and a gentleman from Southampton, who booked within the last few weeks.  The food was excellent, that sea bass really lives up to the hype.  Service was ok, not great.  

Evening show was kind of as I expected.  Sort of cheesy cruise line stuff (nitpicking- Fiesta usually refers to Mexico, but the music was all Cuban….cultural mistake? intentional?) but the cast seems talented, energetic and well rehearsed.  Cruise director’s false laugh irritated us immediately.  She has a nice voice.  I love Brill Building music so we will probably do a show again.

Something that surprised me included the sort of hype-y, cheerleader-y “how’s everyone doing tonight, what, I can’t hear you.” Just didn’t expect that on an upscale line. We are definitely younger than the average age by a good 10-15 years I think (all those kids may bring down the average lol). So sometimes a little slow moving but we’re doing mostly stairs anyway.

Time change was supposed to be put on our clock last evening but wasn’t. Used the gym this morning, pretty decent although I think my home gym must be using a different weight system because I could barely move some of the circuit machines! I’d prefer pre-moistened wipes instead of paper towels and spray, but that’s another nitpick I suppose. We barely made breakfast (time change) at Terrace and will try to use MDR in the a.m. tomorrow as we don’t have an excursion planned in Skagen, I don’t love buffets but I will say they’re doing a nice job of keeping guest hands off the food by having staff serving.

Bed is comfy, cashmere blanket is actually a thin pashmina so I’m gonna ask for a heavier one, it’s sunny yay, but chilly.  Have Jacques tonight. Hope this isn’t too long, I was gonna start a post of my own but if I can continue here without being considered a hijacker, I’ll be happy.

Would love a mahjong game this afternoon if anyone reading is interested, say 4 in the game room?  I’ll stop there just in case.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Sujormik said:

I’m on Marina right now as well, our first O cruise, 3rd “grownup” one. Way more kids than expected, the pool before embarkation was loud. Our PH is very nice, spacious and a nice sized balcony. 

Had the spa tour and abou 90 second free massage, definitely got less than the other ladies were offering😖 but it was fine.  Went for the $500 spa drawing at 5:15 which took awhile as they pitched their various services. And there were 3 smaller gifts, not a single $500.  I don’t think there’s anything you can buy with the $100 one except a manicure which I’m told is $79😳😳😳.

We had no dinner reservation, walked into the MDR, said we were willing to share a table, and were offered Red Ginger as an option.  They walked us over and we sat with a lovely couple (not on CC) from Calgary and a gentleman from Southampton, who booked within the last few weeks.  The food was excellent, that sea bass really lives up to the hype.  Service was ok, not great.  

Evening show was kind of as I expected.  Sort of cheesy cruise line stuff (nitpicking- Fiesta usually refers to Mexico, but the music was all Cuban….cultural mistake? intentional?) but the cast seems talented, energetic and well rehearsed.  Cruise director’s false laugh irritated us immediately.  She has a nice voice.  I love Brill Building music so we will probably do a show again.

Something that surprised me included the sort of hype-y, cheerleader-y “how’s everyone doing tonight, what, I can’t hear you.” Just didn’t expect that on an upscale line. We are definitely younger than the average age by a good 10-15 years I think (all those kids may bring down the average lol). So sometimes a little slow moving but we’re doing mostly stairs anyway.

Time change was supposed to be put on our clock last evening but wasn’t. Used the gym this morning, pretty decent although I think my home gym must be using a different weight system because I could barely move some of the circuit machines! I’d prefer pre-moistened wipes instead of paper towels and spray, but that’s another nitpick I suppose. We barely made breakfast (time change) at Terrace and will try to use MDR in the a.m. tomorrow as we don’t have an excursion planned in Skagen, I don’t love buffets but I will say they’re doing a nice job of keeping guest hands off the food by having staff serving.

Bed is comfy, cashmere blanket is actually a thin pashmina so I’m gonna ask for a heavier one, it’s sunny yay, but chilly.  Have Jacques tonight. Hope this isn’t too long, I was gonna start a post of my own but if I can continue here without being considered a hijacker, I’ll be happy.

Would love a mahjong game this afternoon if anyone reading is interested, say 4 in the game room?  I’ll stop there just in case.

We like to go to tea on sea days.  I did bring my mahjong card.  Maybe another time or day.

• Like 1