Onboard Marina Now

vlthom

10 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

If it's a different ship, it doesn't matter. If it's the same ship, it does because it could be a matter of perspective. I don't believe that things change so drastically in 9 months on the same ship.

In nine months the ship may have had a near 100% turnover of staff. Also be informed that the particular chefs aboard matters a LOT!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Besides the Cheerleaders, remember there are paid Influencers on these Forums

Really?  Call me naïve but I never suspected that.  If true, then I've learned my "something new" for today.  

You mean some posters are paid cash money by the cruise line or a trade group like ITB for posting?  

Or do you mean, say, a TA who posts positive reviews, "inside info", etc., in anticipation of future commissions from impressed readers?  

Edited by DrHemlock
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, DrHemlock said:

Really?  Call me naïve but I never suspected that.  If true, then I've learned my "something new" for today.  

You mean some posters are paid cash money by the cruise line or a trade group like ITB for posting?  

Or do you mean, say, a TA who posts positive reviews, "inside info", etc., in anticipation of future commissions from impressed readers?  

Nope, I mean Influencers paid for posting.

It’s a business. 

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

It’s a business. 

Well not totally surprised. We have always relied on CC for excellent feedback/guidance (pro or con) and will continue to do so and skip over posts we might suspect.

17 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Care to name them??

Probably, but they can’t admit to it.

Spent an interesting hour on a recent cruise talking to a gentleman saying this was his last O cruise for awhile. Telling how his wife had just been hired by Viking to do the work there, thus needing to start sailing there. Talked about the pay and the benefits. It’s a couple year gig and they rotate around. She’d finished with O pre Covid.

Nothing to be surprised about. Cruising is big business and this Forum gets a lot of Lurkers. 

• Like 1

I met a couple on a Windstar cruise who were contractors for Xanterra and were on the cruise for free doing reconnaissance for them, getting passenger comments to report on. Their job was to chat up fellow pax.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Probably, but they can’t admit to it.

Spent an interesting hour on a recent cruise talking to a gentleman saying this was his last O cruise for awhile. Telling how his wife had just been hired by Viking to do the work there, thus needing to start sailing there. Talked about the pay and the benefits. It’s a couple year gig and they rotate around. She’d finished with O pre Covid.

Nothing to be surprised about. Cruising is big business and this Forum gets a lot of Lurkers. 

Nice  gig 

Wonder how truthful their reviews are  😉

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Nope, I mean Influencers paid for posting.  It’s a business. 

Wow.  

Well, now that the scales have fallen from my eyes, I can see it working two ways.  A cruise line hires influencers to praise the line on its own CC board, while hiring other influencers to undermine competitors on their CC board.

The grains of salt are adding up.

Edited by DrHemlock

54 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

I am not an influencer..lol

We only have your word for that. 😁😁

Naively, I though influencers blogged and did TikTok and Youtube type stuff.  I never thought of them posting on here.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jonthomas said:

I am not an influencer..lol

I agree. Anyone that continually, over and over again, posts how every meal he ate on other lines was horrible or inedible, and every meal he had on Oceania was fabulous quickly loses credibility. Something a true Influencer knows they can’t do. 🥂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Guess you haven't read All my posts.

It wasn't long ago that I was criticized for complaining that there was too much sea food, that most soups were  unrecognizable, that the deserts went from amazing to awful when staff changed half way through the 20 days aboard marina.

It is really only after being on a Viking ship this April that my opinions on O really solidified.

But of course everyone will continue to believe what they will. And I will continue to praise O when deserved and criticise when not.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

It’s a business. 

Wow if you are right please tell me where to sign up because Oceania does not do that or I would be one whatever they are...

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Wow if you are right please tell me where to sign up because Oceania does not do that or I would be one whatever they are...

Jancruz1

+ 1 - I am happy to be paid to post for O but will still be open about the good, the bad and the ugly so my pay may not be as high

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, basor said:

+ 1 - I am happy to be paid to post for O but will still be open about the good, the bad and the ugly so my pay may not be as high

Count me in too..

Not an influencer, just new to O and wanting to share good, bad, ugly.  Our final dinner in GDR was about on par with our other GDR experiences this past week.  First 2 of us were served the wrong appetizer (ordered A, served C), quickly replaced but weird. Entrees came out and my food (chateaubriand) was not hot. I didn’t want to wait further and asked if I could just get some hot (temperature) sauce and I’d be fine with the room temp meat.  Was offered Tabasco and finally someone understood me, insisted on bringing a new plate out. It was delicious.  No manager came to address the one person with no food.  In all the service issues we had, no manager ever came to our table.  Our friends were amazed, had never had the service issues we encountered all week but saw for themselves what we experienced.

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2023 at 1:26 AM, Sujormik said:

Submitted my comments survey and after hearing at lunch that many people are having similar concerns I’d planned to speak to F&B. When we returned from our tour there was a message from the head butler about my comment re calling housekeeping.  He was very nice, understood I wasn’t so much complaining as I was surprised by the response.  Anyway, he seemed to understand me and hopefully that’s no longer an issue.

Then we had dinner at Red Ginger and it was very clear they knew who we were. Had an excellent waitress and assistant, they were attentive and responsive, even refilled our ice several times🤣.  I guess it’s true what they say about the squeaky wheel….

The hostess there commented about my snazzy outfit (fancy jeans!) and as she walked us out (!) acknowledged and thanked us for our comments, asked about our dinner, etc. Things that should be standard (well, maybe not complimenting my clothes lol) for everyone. I didn’t want obsequious, just attentive, I assure you! But if it means they’ve learned something and take it to heart, then I’m glad I spoke up.  

My husband is a management consultant.  We’ve talked a lot on this trip about service and training, demanding customers and all that.  I’m going to try travel agent-ing (yup, created a verb) and so all this is experience and training for me.  Thanks everyone (who allowed me to hijack the thread a little) for your input.

I find once you complain/provide feedback the service magically gets better EVERYWHERE! But one shouldn't have to complaint to start getting the level of service that is advertised. 

• Like 7