Questions About Princess

IndyKid

We just booked the Caribbean Princess for Dec. 10 - 17th out of Ft. Lauderdale. This will be our first cruise with Princess, have only been on Royal Caribbean in the past, most recently on Allure Of The Seas in 2016. I'm still learning my way around the Medallion App, but I've got it mostly figured out. I have a few questions about Princess:

1. When will we be able to see what shows or entertainment is available?

2. I've read where you should not bring a power strip with a surge protector, why is that?

3. For those on here who have cruised both RCCL and Princess, how do they compare? The Allure was nice, but I came to be a little frustrated dealing with the crowds. Trying to find an open table for breakfast & lunch at the Windjammer restaurant was a daily chore, as was waiting for an elevator. What's the vibe compared to RCCL? We're an older couple so I'm hoping it's more relaxed. 

4. How are breakfast & lunches handled? Are they buffet-style or sit-down? I prefer the latter.

5. We'll both be Green lane for our embarkation, how will that actually work when we get to the ship? I understand we can pick our check-in time when we get closer to the sailing date, how far in advance will that be? We want to get on board as early as possible.

6. Somewhere in the paperwork I read it says they have 0 formal nights in the MDR, is that correct? I'm planning to bring khakis and knit shirts with button-down collars, would that be OK for non-formal attire in the MDR and specialty restaurants?

Thank You in advance for your inputs....

16 minutes ago, IndyKid said:

We just booked the Caribbean Princess for Dec. 10 - 17th out of Ft. Lauderdale. This will be our first cruise with Princess, have only been on Royal Caribbean in the past, most recently on Allure Of The Seas in 2016. I'm still learning my way around the Medallion App, but I've got it mostly figured out. I have a few questions about Princess:

2. I've read where you should not bring a power strip with a surge protector, why is that?

3. For those on here who have cruised both RCCL and Princess, how do they compare? The Allure was nice, but I came to be a little frustrated dealing with the crowds. Trying to find an open table for breakfast & lunch at the Windjammer restaurant was a daily chore, as was waiting for an elevator. What's the vibe compared to RCCL? We're an older couple so I'm hoping it's more relaxed. 

4. How are breakfast & lunches handled? Are they buffet-style or sit-down? I prefer the latter.

5. We'll both be Green lane for our embarkation, how will that actually work when we get to the ship? I understand we can pick our check-in time when we get closer to the sailing date, how far in advance will that be? We want to get on board as early as possible.

6. Somewhere in the paperwork I read it says they have 0 formal nights in the MDR, is that correct? I'm planning to bring khakis and knit shirts with button-down collars, would that be OK for non-formal attire in the MDR and specialty restaurants?

1. The Journey view of activities is loaded about a week before sailing in my experience and sometimes even closer to sailing date.

2. Surge protector power strips are not allowed on ships as the electrical system is not the same as a household and can cause a short as the simple answer.

3. with ships sailing at full capacity you will still find challenges with crowds, but older Princess ships like the Caribbean do not have slides, climbing walls, skating rinks to attach the younger more active passengers, so the vibe is usually more relaxed and older crowd than RCCL except during summer and holidays where you will see more families with kids under and over 18.

4. Dining room open for Breakfast and Dinner everyday and lunch on Sea days, Buffett available for Breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday, dinner will usually have a theme like, Italian, Asian, etc.

5. Arrivals groups usually open to select on the APP around 45 days before sailing, but varies, join your roll call and someone usually posts. You can pick up your Medallion at the port at no charge and it only adds a minute or two at the most. Really no reason to have shipped to you, even if you have a pkg and the shipping is free. Currently, no one is checking if you are green lane, just if you have your medallion already.

6. Normally on a 7 night sailing there will be 2 formal nights, but Princess has really relaxed it dress code suggestions enforcements. Khakis and knit shirt and or button down collar will be acceptable for ANY night including formal in MDR or any specialty restaurant.

• Like 1

I think wallyj covered everything. I'll just add in a few little things.

1) You can probably start checking the app potentially about 2-3 weeks before your cruise if you're seriously curious. There is no need to reserve anything or check in for any onboard activity on the app, so you don't really have to check the app, but if you're curious, then you can probably start checking perhaps daily by that time.

2) We have great technical experts onboard this forum, though until they join this thread, I think this article explains it pretty well.

3) Princess will not have the same crowds as those you'd find on the Allure but I have to be honest with you -- if your sailing is full, you're still going to contend with crowds. The buffet (known as the World Fresh Marketplace) is going to be much smaller than you think. But there are lots of different seating options (the buffet was completely redone in 2017, IIRC) so just be patient if you eat breakfast at peak times -- make sure to check the aft section of the buffet for seats too; there are many modern seating options. Dining rooms still have lots of two-top tables basically stacked one on top of each other, but that's only going to bother you if attendance is high, especially at peak times -- eat either really early or much later to avoid these situations. Theater will get packed for production shows, so go really early to find your preferred seats or just attend the later show (usually, but not always, has less attendance). But I gave you all of the core warnings -- if you're flexible and learn your alternatives, you'll definitely have many ways to enjoy and relax on your cruise as you navigate around these usual inconveniences.

4) wallyj nailed it, but also know that the International Cafe on deck 5 has free snacks 24/7 (coffees/teas available for order as well), so if you just want to nosh on some pie or a sandwich while lounging, you can also do just that. 

5) and 6) wallyj also nailed it here. No more pressure at all to dress too formal these days and Princess has even taken it one step further with the "dress to impress" wording (not on all ships right now) or "white and gold" theme thing (this one is still intermittent and honestly mostly ignored). Just avoid wearing shorts and caps to keep it safe and you'll be OK.

Welcome to Princess Indykid!

I think all your questions have been answered by previous posters.

I will note that I just booked an Arrival Group for an upcoming cruise at 59 days out and that has been my experience on the last few cruises. YMMV. That being said, we've never been asked to show an Arrival Group as Princess is pretty laid back about it. I would still get one set up though, because things change all the time and you never know when they will decide it is needed.

I haven't been on Royal Caribbean, but I think Princess will be less crowded than you have experienced just based on a smaller capacity. If you are eating at the buffet and can't find a table in the buffet area itself, our favorite spot is either all the way aft by the Terrace Pool or at the tables by the mid-ship pools.

I hope you enjoy Princess!

Regarding number three, we have cruised RCCL but a one-and-done. I call the Radiance of the Seas, the cattle car of the seas. Too crowded. Thing is, the Caribbean Princess has the least space per passenger of any in the Princess fleet. 

Regarding number six, don't know who started this White and Gold night idea, but it was probably a guy because if Mrs. Mtnesterz in any indicator, you tell a woman which colors to wear at your peril.

There are two formal nights on a seven night cruise. What you describe is fine for non-formal nights. Some will post here that you don't have to dress as requested on formal nights and within reason they're correct. The whole idea is that you enjoy yourself and make the night special. Some can't get with dressing for dinner, but this is in part what defines Princess and I'd encourage you to join in.

Edited by mtnesterz

Some information:

Your sailing is in early December when schools are in session. Probably very few youth on board.

The Caribbean Princess holds 3,100 passengers, less than the large RCL ships.

Princess Cays is a beach day. There are tenders (water shuttles) that shuttle you to the beach. Shuttle tickets are given out on a first come first serve basis. If you wish to have an early shuttle get to the ticket location early. Notices will be in the daily event paper.

Breakfast and dinner is served each day in the MDR. Note that breakfast in the DR takes about an hour. If you are in a hurry you might want to skip the DR. Lunch is served only on seas days. For dinner you should make reservations in the Dine My Way app. All MDRs have the same menu. Other complementary food locations are: On the Lido Deck: The World Fresh Marketplace buffet. Open every day all day and evenings. Never closes. The Salty Dog Grill and Slice Pizza. Open from 11am until mid evening every day. The International Café in the Piazza on deck 5. Serving continental breakfast items in the morning, paninis salads, desserts and other items in the afternoon and evening. Open 24 hours. May close for a few hous during the overnight. Room Service. Also you can order food and drink on the Ocean Now app for delivery to your location on the ship.

Your formal nights will most likely be the first sea day and most likely the Amber Cove day. Formal nights are never on the first or last evening. Without causing an uproar, this is a very controversial subject, you would feel comfortable dressing nicely. No need for suits, fancy dresses and such.

Special comments regarding the above information:

Full suite passengers? You would have priority water shuttle service. Breakfast is a special made to order meal in Sabatini’s. Dinner and Lunch on sea days is in the Coral DR, mid ship deck 6. It is walk in anytime with prompt seating and upgraded service.

Reserve Class mini suite passengers? Your breakfast, lunch and dinner is in the Coral DR. It is also walk in anytime with prompt seating.

In both cases you, of course, can dine in any other open location.

Hope this helps.

On 6/23/2023 at 12:46 AM, IndyKid said:

I tend to think of cruise lines as vehicle brands and their relationship to each other.  Carnival is a entry level cruise line, the first place you cruise because it has the brand cachet and are known as being "fun ships".  RC is a step up from Carnival.  I know lots of folks that have "graduated" form Carnival to RC.  Larger, nicer ships, nicer cabins, more water slides, more onboard activities, more wiz-bang.  Both lines are family oriented.  Both lines are also more "onboard" oriented.  Their goal is not just to sell you a cruise, but to sell you stuff while on board (well all cruise lines are that way, but some more so than others).  With regard to selling stuff while on board, I think that Norwegian does this the most and most unabashedly.

I've looked at cruising RC recently and their itineraries are not nearly as good as Princess or HAL.  I also think that RC's pricing and cabin class situation is much more confusing and convoluted than Princess.  Princess has some oddities in their cabin classes.  Mini-suites are not suites and do not have suite benefits.  Reserve Class mini-suites are not suites, but have a special dining room location and a couple of half bottles of moderate priced wine in your cabin when you arrive, and "better" locations on board ship, but aside from that are still not suites.

Breakfast is always available as a plated sit-down meal in the MDR.  Hours listed in the Patter.  I recall that breakfast times are fairly generous, but if you are a late riser you'd better get to the dining room before 10am, or else you might miss breakfast.  On top of that, lunch service starts about 11 in the buffet so you are kind of compressing your meals.  Lunch is also served in the MDR on sea days.  Timing for MDR lunch is pretty limited.  I recall it being noon-1:30 or something similar.  On port days you can find lunch in the buffet, or International Cafe in the Piazza or the grill or pizza place on Lido.  If the ship has a Gigi's or Alfredo's, you can get lunch there, too.  There are plenty of places on board to get lunch and avoid the buffet, whether it is or is not a port day.

Princess is more relaxed, by a huge margin.  Depending on the time of year, length of cruise and itinerary, you will see families and children, but it is highly variable.  With no wet toys on board, like wave riders and water slides, you also tend to get a more subdued top deck atmosphere.  A good thing.  Caribbean Princess has a kids splash pad area, and some extensive kids club facilities that the other ships don't have in the same measure.  Again, this has a lot to do with the typical itineraries that she sails.

I've never known check-in times to be something that is enforced with Princess.  If the ship is ready to board and people are at the terminal, they will board those that are waiting.  Any boarding grouping is merely a suggestion they make in the hopes that people will follow it and that will help to not overwhelm the space in the terminal.  But you are pretty much free to show up any time starting about 10:30 or 11, and you'll probably be on board in 30 minutes or so.

I'm not sure what paperwork you are looking at, but on a 7 day voyage there are usually 2 formal nights.  Formal nights are typically on sea days.  Formal night dress codes are basically not enforced in detail.  Slacks and a button-up shirt will be just fine for a casual formal night.  Nobody on staff will bat an eye.  As for your other passengers, there are those that "dress to impress", and that is kind of where the formal nights are going, Princess list the formal nights in the patter, and you can participate or not.  I think the big thing is that at dinner you don't want to show up in holey jeans and a ripped t-shirt that says "I'm with stupid".

With that said, enjoy Princess, it will be quite different from RC.

If you want to eat breakfast in the buffet don't just look at the first part and decide that is all that is available. Go all the way through the buffet and you "should" find another section where you can get your eggs cooked to order - both fried and customized omelets. It is vastly better than settling for the pre-cooked fried eggs that are sitting under heat lamps. I like my eggs "over medium" which is pretty difficult to find in the first part of the buffet. I also like to choose my own omelet ingredients. I don't know if it's still that way but, the last time we sailed on CB, you could fill a small cup with your choice of ingredients and that is what went into your omelet. (I like jalapenos in mine along with the other stuff.)

There is generally more seating available back there and, if the weather is at all decent, you can take your food out the back door and dine alfresco. I don't know if they still do it but they used to have extra lunch options in that area as well which we enjoyed several times. Check it out. I can't hurt to see if things are still the same as when we sailed CB.

2 hours ago, wallyj said:

Most Princess ships I have been on , MDR breakfast doors only open till 9am, so be in the door by 9, not 10. Just off the Emerald, CA coastal and MDR breakfast, doors closed at 9.

We rarely make it to MDR breakfast - partly because we stay up late and don't get up early and partly because it can take longer than we want to designate for breakfast. We eat in the buffet or just grab something in IC while getting morning beverages.

• Thanks 1