Cruising After Knee Replacement

dmcfad2

I have 4 HAL cruises booked between now and March. I need a knee replacement and I wondered if anyone has cruised shortly after knee surgery. How long after surgery did you go and how did you do? I plan on talking to my ortho about it next week, but am looking for personal experiences. I only have a window of 6 1/2 weeks before my first cruise this September and I just wonder if that is too ambitious. Otherwise it looks like I will be waiting until next March. Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi dmcfad2!   How long is the first cruise after the 6.5 weeks after surgery?   Will you have completed physio therapy by then?   It's tight but it's doable.  First 6 weeks is the hardest.   The staples will be out and you wound should be completely closed.   You'll still need to be icing your knee and take it easy on the amount of walking each day (ie swelling).   Sleep at night may still be problematic.   You'll probably need to put the leg up a bit every day.   If you have pain, roll things back a bit.   If you're going on a nice easy cruise and you expect a lot of down time, go for it.   Do your exercises every single day and bring your cane with you.  Being at home has no real benefits other than all your things you need are close at hand.  You'll be very motivated to progress with the cruise date book.  Bend and straighten.  Bend and straighten.  Repeat.  Good Luck!

• Like 2

I went on a cruise 4 months after my first knee replacement. I did PT for 12 weeks (when I went back to my ortho doctor I asked for additional PT).  I had no problems!  I just had my second knee replaced in April 2022, and sailed (to Greenland and Iceland) in August...again 4 months after surgery.  Another 12 weeks of PT were very helpful.  I think I could have gone after the first six weeks both times, but wanted to make sure everything was strong. (I am not a physically active person, but was able to walk around all the ports in Iceland and Greenland with no problems).

Make sure to do your exercises faithfully...good luck!!

Laura

• Like 2

I went  2 months after the surgery. It was a simple caribbean cruise on the rotterdam. I sent a lot of time in the hot tubs and walking slow laps on the promenade deck. I  cruised  last month  on TA and to UK .on the ZUIDERDAM and it was much easier getting a round If you need more detailed info , you can email me at sfgrosscpa@gmail.com -steve

• Like 2

Everyone is different.  And some surgeries have better results than others.  For example, I had a great doctor and was pretty fit, but did NOT have a great result with my full knee replacement.

Therefore, I recommend if your surgery is within a couple months of your first cruise, do I of these 2 things:

1. purchase trip insurance because you may not have any interest in going anywhere

2. get a scooter to get around the ship while you continue to do daily exercises on the knee.

• Like 3

Had knee replacement 3 months prior to a cruise. Had no problems, but everyone’s recovery is different.  I only needed PT for 4 weeks, had left the hospital at 120 degrees. This is unusual, but I did exercise that my doctor required prior to surgery. Good luck and have fun

• Like 2

We went on an Alaska cruise last July after having had knee replacement surgery the middle of April.  We had been to Alaska about 10 years ago when my right knee was starting to act up. When we got to Katchikan on that trip my knee hurt too much and I opted to stay on board rather than go out and walk around that pretty little town.  When I saw the pictures my husband took I felt bad that I hadn't gone.  So this time, after replacing the left knee, when the therapist asked what my goal was I said I wanted to "Walk all over Katchikan!"  So I did!  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dmcfad2 said:

I have 4 HAL cruises booked between now and March. I need a knee replacement and I wondered if anyone has cruised shortly after knee surgery. How long after surgery did you go and how did you do? I plan on talking to my ortho about it next week, but am looking for personal experiences. I only have a window of 6 1/2 weeks before my first cruise this September and I just wonder if that is too ambitious. Otherwise it looks like I will be waiting until next March. Thanks.

I had mine done in october and cruised in Marc(h Yes it was painful at first but accumassage flip flops....gotten on Amazon ..... helped as did meds like arthrotek and ivy hot with lido  caine .We walked everywhere ..it was fine my only problem was stairs so I avoided them ..they really were and still are difficult but i managed .I still walk wih a cane ...my security blanket 

swimming is still a nono the waves knock me over and i.m not strong enough to get in or out of sea 

i need to do other knee but doc feels i can wait 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruise grrl said:

Hi dmcfad2!   How long is the first cruise after the 6.5 weeks after surgery?   Will you have completed physio therapy by then?   It's tight but it's doable.  First 6 weeks is the hardest.   The staples will be out and you wound should be completely closed.   You'll still need to be icing your knee and take it easy on the amount of walking each day (ie swelling).   Sleep at night may still be problematic.   You'll probably need to put the leg up a bit every day.   If you have pain, roll things back a bit.   If you're going on a nice easy cruise and you expect a lot of down time, go for it.   Do your exercises every single day and bring your cane with you.  Being at home has no real benefits other than all your things you need are close at hand.  You'll be very motivated to progress with the cruise date book.  Bend and straighten.  Bend and straighten.  Repeat.  Good Luck!

Thank you. It’s just a 7 day cruise. It should be an easy one. I just don’t even have to get off the ship. I’ve been to all the ports before. I don’t know about the PT, but I will work hard. I’ve already had two hips done, so I know the drill. 🙂  It’s too late to get insurance. I just might go for it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, highscar said:

We both had replacements and behaved as told re the physio.  Enjoy.  Better cruising than moating at home.  

I think you’re right. 🙂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dmcfad2 said:

Thank you. It’s just a 7 day cruise. It should be an easy one. I just don’t even have to get off the ship. I’ve been to all the ports before. I don’t know about the PT, but I will work hard. I’ve already had two hips done, so I know the drill. 🙂  It’s too late to get insurance. I just might go for it.

I have had both knees replaced - one year apart. Did all the phsio required including water therapy(which was much easier and super beneficial) and I was playing lawnbowls after 6 weeks. Do the hard work and you have a good chance of doing more than you think likely. Even if somewhat limited I reckon it will be worth going for it. Good luck with it all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kplady said:

I went on a cruise 4 months after my first knee replacement. I did PT for 12 weeks (when I went back to my ortho doctor I asked for additional PT).  I had no problems!  I just had my second knee replaced in April 2022, and sailed (to Greenland and Iceland) in August...again 4 months after surgery.  Another 12 weeks of PT were very helpful.  I think I could have gone after the first six weeks both times, but wanted to make sure everything was strong. (I am not a physically active person, but was able to walk around all the ports in Iceland and Greenland with no problems).

Make sure to do your exercises faithfully...good luck!!

Laura

Thank you.

I went on a cruise 2 weeks after my first TKR. I continued to do as much PT as I could on the cruise and brought a special blow up pillow for leg elevation.  I used a cane (which actually helped during rough seas!) and wore my compression sock.  I did have my doctor’s blessing for this trip.  Best of luck on your surgery!  🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Everyone recovers differently, but 6.5 weeks post-surgery should be quite doable, especially if you keep up with PT before the trip. I've had both knees replaced and I have to say it has been life-changing and I'm so glad I did it! Good luck with your surgery!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Do it!  Both knees replaced.  Second one was 3.5 months prior to an Antarctica cruise with Zodiac landings on Antarctica south of the Antarctic Circle.  First two weeks after surgery are the most challenging.  The rest is PT and gaining confidence.  Age 73 at the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Baabaaa said:

I went on a cruise 2 weeks after my first TKR. I continued to do as much PT as I could on the cruise and brought a special blow up pillow for leg elevation.  I used a cane (which actually helped during rough seas!) and wore my compression sock.  I did have my doctor’s blessing for this trip.  Best of luck on your surgery!  🙂

Oh, that’s amazing! That gives me hope. 

1 hour ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Do it!  Both knees replaced.  Second one was 3.5 months prior to an Antarctica cruise with Zodiac landings on Antarctica south of the Antarctic Circle.  First two weeks after surgery are the most challenging.  The rest is PT and gaining confidence.  Age 73 at the time.

Thank you!

Do it!  I had both knees replaced in 2022. Just celebrated the one year anniversary of my right on 6/27 and I had my left one done 4 months later in October.  I could have easily gone on a cruise at the 4 month point. As others have pointed out, just be very good about physical therapy, and that means the at home exercises too. Don't get discouraged, you will see big changes around the 4-5 week point. (sleeping better, easier getting out of a chair, etc.)

Good luck to you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, jules815 said:

Do it!  I had both knees replaced in 2022. Just celebrated the one year anniversary of my right on 6/27 and I had my left one done 4 months later in October.  I could have easily gone on a cruise at the 4 month point. As others have pointed out, just be very good about physical therapy, and that means the at home exercises too. Don't get discouraged, you will see big changes around the 4-5 week point. (sleeping better, easier getting out of a chair, etc.)

Good luck to you!

Thank you! As I have my intake appointment with the surgeon in July, this is great information to have on hand! I see that this patient will need to practise patience in her recoveries.