What to do while waiting for the ship in Colon?

TravelFiend

Hey all! 

We're headed to the partial transit of the Panama Canal on the Ruby, and we've booked an excursion on our canal day. It's the Panama Canal Locks & Transit by Boat, which takes us over to the Pacific side through the canal and then back to meet the ship in Colon on a bus. My question is, the excursion is supposed to end at 2:30, and the ship isn't supposed to arrive until around 5. Is there anything to do in that area other than duty free shops? Would we have time to go to the visitors center at Agua Clara, for example? Happy to grab a taxi or whatever we'd need to, just wasn't sure what the rules are and if we would have time, etc. My husband is a civil engineer and the canal is his life-long dream destination, so I'd love to see and do all the canal things while we can. My kiddos, however, may be done by that point in the day and could use something else to do.

Anyway, would love to hear about your experiences and what you might recommend! Thank you so much! 

Hmm.  Have taken that excursion three times and NEVER got back before the ship.  Your husband and kids will be able to touch the lock walls as you lock down on the Pacific side.  Ask the pilot about the dent in the Miraflores lock.  

But going to that visitor center from Colon is a long way away. 

They highly recommend you not leaving the port on your own there but other than a couple of standard cruise port stores there is nothing in the Colon port.  A few years back they had a whole hanger-sized building with local crafts and food.  Not open any more.

Edited by LeeW
more
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, TravelFiend said:

Hey all! 

We're headed to the partial transit of the Panama Canal on the Ruby, and we've booked an excursion on our canal day. It's the Panama Canal Locks & Transit by Boat, which takes us over to the Pacific side through the canal and then back to meet the ship in Colon on a bus. My question is, the excursion is supposed to end at 2:30, and the ship isn't supposed to arrive until around 5. Is there anything to do in that area other than duty free shops? Would we have time to go to the visitors center at Agua Clara, for example? Happy to grab a taxi or whatever we'd need to, just wasn't sure what the rules are and if we would have time, etc. My husband is a civil engineer and the canal is his life-long dream destination, so I'd love to see and do all the canal things while we can. My kiddos, however, may be done by that point in the day and could use something else to do.

Anyway, would love to hear about your experiences and what you might recommend! Thank you so much! 

I’m surprised that you will have much time there after your tour.  But, it is a big industrial port, not really a touristy port.

Not much to do, just a few craft type stalls at the port and there was a duty free shop. 

Remember, it can be extremely hot, so you may want to bring water, snacks and dress accordingly.

I would not recommend going into town there or venturing off on your own with a taxi.  It’s not the safest of an area. 

Have you read this link?  It’s informative.

https://www.whatsinport.com/Colon-Cristobal-Pier.htm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep, as others have stated above...when we did this excursion earlier this year the ship was waiting for *us*, not the other way around.  You are covering a *lot* of ground on this one as well as the potential wait time for your "smaller" boat to get through the locks. You will have to wait for at least one other boat (maybe more) for them to make that lock cycle as efficient as possible. They just won't do it for one small boat.  We had to wait about 30 minutes for another couple of boats to join us.

• Like 1

I see that all the itineraries where the ship docks in Colon show that it departs at 8pm. There should be plenty of time for you to visit the Agua Clara visitors center which is only about a half hour away from the pier. I would check the times the visitors center is open and then also investigate private transportation.

I have done this itinerary 3 times. The ship always seems to be docked when tours arrive back to Colon. The time shown for exit from Gatun Lake is just an estimate. The exit is controlled by the P.C. authorities and can vary. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TravelFiend said:

My question is, the excursion is supposed to end at 2:30, and the ship isn't supposed to arrive until around 5.

I have not seen this excursion end at 2:30, think that must be someones overly optimistic guesstimate.  Quite frequently you are not able to disembark the ship until somewhere between 9 and 10, then you have the tendering process to the Gatun Yacht Club.  While it is not a long tender ride, it still is time a consuming  process.  Then there is the bus ride ride to the Pacific Side, where you embark on the tour boat can very as well.  The embarkation can occur in Gamboa or Ft. Amador and the travel time to there could very from 1 hour to 1.5 hours depending on the actual embarkation site.  I believe the tour description allots 4 hours for the boat portion.  It can be done in 4 hours if every planned movement in the Panama Canal hits their mark with impeccable precision.  In other words, the time estimate is possible, but very unlikely in the real world.  Now you have the return trip back to the Atlantic side along with the same time estimates I mentioned previously.  I just don't see how a 2:30 end to the tour is possible. 

14 hours ago, TravelFiend said:

Pacific side through the canal and then back to meet the ship in Colon on a bus

Once again those who write these tour descriptions are at odds with the people who make the itineraries.  The tour description mentions Colon, however the ship's itinerary has the ship docking in Cristobal.  In the past the Ruby Princess has docked in Cristobal and not Colon.  The biggest difference being at Colon there is a shopping mall attached to the pier where there are a number of shops for you to pass the time.  This area is safe for the cruise passenger.  On the other hand , Cristobal is a container port without any significant shopping available.  In the past they have set up sort of an ad hoc area where you could purchase a few items.

Regarding an additional trip out to Agua Clara Locks, I really don't believe you will be back to the ship at Cristobal with enough time to spare get out to the Locks and back.  With the ship docking in Cristobal there will not be anything to attract passenger to stay on shore and ship's personnel will encourage you to get back on board as soon as possible.  Besides you will have the best seat in the house when the Ruby locks up to Gatun Lake. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all so much for your help! It sounds like we won't have as much time I as I feared, so that is great. If we do, I'll have a couple of backup plans ready based on how much time we've got. I so appreciate you all sharing your experience!