No more classical music?!

cartervan

It's been awhile since I've been looking at Cruise Critic, but we recently booked a Caribbean cruise on the Zaandam in February so I'm back on getting info.  I was shocked to see a few references to the contract with Lincoln Center being cancelled!  Someone in a review remarked that the "Lincoln Center Stage" on their Alaska cruise was being used for art auctions. Oh, please, say it isn't so! One of our favorite things to do on any HAL ship is to sit and listen to music before or after dinner.  On our Alaska cruise last summer there was standing room only for all the performances. Does anyone know any news about this?

• Like 1

Gone With the Wind

I had my first cruise since they did away with LC

and I must say that I was disappointed 

I do not sit in The Rolling Stones Rock Room (too loud)

and LC was classy, provided great music and 

was a relaxing venue

They use LC now for art auctions, jewelry bids

and line dancing lessons

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is terrible news! I knew they were not renewing the contact with Lincoln Center, but was hoping they would go back to previous times when classical musicians played every evening before or after dinner. Their shows were always  packed. Classical music onboard is the reason we have stayed with Holland America all these years!

• Like 6

Let' not give up on classical music offerings just yet.

This has been a long tradition on HAL ships, but the Lincoln Center branding for this offering is only recent. So losing this LC franchise does not  necessarily mean there will never be classical music ever again, since  it remains popular with a significant number of passengers.  

We just need to let them know this, just like they are bringing back the ship libraries and other victims of recent reorganization and cost cutting necessities.  The prior classical offerings, from quartets to duos were often a mixed bag and I can assume by bringing in the LC brand, this allowed more uniformity to  these offerings across the fleet. But at a cost that perhaps did not earn its own way. 

Let's hope at least  they go back to having some form of classical offerings - two to four performers like  the good old days, but also with a little more assurance of uniform quality. It was almost sad/funny to see some of the interactions when an obvious couple was brought on board on some of our past  cruises as the experience was obviously stressful to at least on of the partners.

One was a poor young woman who always looked on the verge of tears whenever we saw her around the ship. Another was the pianist wife who would always play over her violinist husband and stomp off after the last note was played. There must have been some other tension going on between those two.  But at least  we still got classical music.......

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On our cruise in April, the Entertainment director said that plans were to restart classical music "sometime this summer", but probably on Main Stage. I don't know if that's still their plan.

We did enjoy the new group in the Ocean Bar for quieter music. Not classical music, but very enjoyable.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jljcruise said:

On our cruise in April, the Entertainment director said that plans were to restart classical music "sometime this summer", but probably on Main Stage. I don't know if that's still their plan.

Summer is passing and no signs of any classical music from HAL. I have my doubts as to whether it will come back at all, other than potentially from a guest entertainment (e.g., 1-2 nights) appearance.

LCS really classed up the joint. I realize they weren't everyone's cup of tea, but HAL needs to offer some variety in music if they're going to stick with this "music walk" concept. The BB Kings/Rolling Stones bands seem to be good, but I can only take so much of it, and so far I've not yet found the Billboard format musicians to be that great.

• Like 5

I spent 47 days on Rotterdam during April and May and not a single note

of classical music

You can only watch the Step One stuff so many tmes

The classical music is timeless

• Like 12

28 minutes ago, jthek said:

I spent 47 days on Rotterdam during April and May and not a single note

of classical music

You can only watch the Step One stuff so many tmes

The classical music is timeless

I taught an Introduction to Puccini class for Elderhostel  for five years, and was often asked  what is the difference between opera and broadway type musicals. (How does a "musical" like Porgy and Bess transition  now into the opera repetoire?

My own response (made up on the fly) was you can for the most part quickly sing Broadway tunes in the shower, but opera reveals itself more and more with each listening. Opera become the development musical themes, which undergird the telling of the story and the evolution of the characters. Often not easy to take in on the first listenings, but can still exert emotional power that one does not yet fully understand. 

Same for other forms of classical music - familiarity does not breed "contempt", but the  repetition provides anticipation for and the unveiling of musical moments rare, fleeting and ephemeral.  Sometimes even one note -- Eg. the moment Mimi sings about greeting the morning light in La Boheme. (Chills - right brain and left brain fully engaged.)

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 2

On our NS cruise, a couple of weeks ago, we were treated to the most amazing classical pianist on the main stage.  If this is the caliber of talent replacing LCS then all I have to say is THANK YOU, HAL!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I always really enjoyed the LCS content, and it was sorely missed on my last cruise. I understand why it went away, but I hope they can find a way to add something like it back. I also enjoy the music from BB King and Rolling Stones (less impressed with Billboard), but it’s like being served steak every night in a row when what you’re really craving is fish. 

• Like 3

For years we had the Rosario Strings.  They were replaced by a Russian group and then it was cut to a violin and piano.  Then we got the Lincoln Center. I do NOT like Rock and roll or the other loud music.  Bring back the Classical and give them a dedicated space.

• Like 9

30 minutes ago, jthek said:

@erdufylla

Why did it go away?

My understanding is that the partnership with Lincoln Center was no longer mutually profitable/beneficial. I didn’t mean that I knew the specifics, just that there was something about the arrangement that no longer made it make sense to continue.

I don’t think that deciding factor to end the partnership was that HAL decided people no longer wanted to hear classical music (or at least I hope that wasn’t the reason), but I do worry that their view is that in trying to attract a somewhat younger demographic, classical music is an easy thing to cut — the spend on salaries and accommodations for multiple musicians might not balance out with the expected passenger draw their music might bring. And they might not be wrong. I know I’m someone in that younger demographic (GenX/Millennial) who *does* want classical music, but I don’t know what percentage of my peers would say the same.

All we can do is provide feedback and hope they listen and find some option that fits with their budget and strategy for the future. 

• Like 2

In my letter to HAL, I specifically indicated that on our multi-generational cruise to Alaska next year all three generations that will be traveling enjoy classical music.  I am GenX and my kids are Millenials.

• Like 2

Just one of the casualties of going to a more casual atmosphere. Do away with formality and you generally get a market base that does not appreciate classical music. There are costs to relaxing tradition and the loss of classical music appears to be one of them. Wait for the elimination of afternoon tea next.

3 hours ago, katmu said:

In my letter to HAL, I specifically indicated that on our multi-generational cruise to Alaska next year all three generations that will be traveling enjoy classical music.  I am GenX and my kids are Millenials.

I have noticed that while there are people in all age groups that enjoy classical music, the demographics tend to skew a little older.  For some reason, it looks like more people start to enjoy classical music as they age.  For myself, I was a music minor in college and have studied and enjoyed classical music since high school (I'm now in my late 60's).  I hope HAL continues with classical music in some form or another.  On our recent 34-day transpacific cruise I spent at least 3 out of every 4 days in the LCS.  The quartet on that cruise was outstanding.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, sciencewonk said:

I have noticed that while there are people in all age groups that enjoy classical music, the demographics tend to skew a little older.  For some reason, it looks like more people start to enjoy classical music as they age.  For myself, I was a music minor in college and have studied and enjoyed classical music since high school (I'm now in my late 60's).  I hope HAL continues with classical music in some form or another.  On our recent 34-day transpacific cruise I spent at least 3 out of every 4 days in the LCS.  The quartet on that cruise was outstanding.

I think at least for my kids their appreciation of classical music began in middle school as they both attended a fine arts magnet school.  Students were required to learn an instrument but also to performances by our local orchestra and other professional artists.  

I do agree that in general the audience for classical music tends to skew a little older.  I think as with travel, classical music is something that with more exposure many younger people gain new experiences and appreciation.  It sometimes starts small with one artist or piece of music.  

• Like 2

If there were any "standing room only" performances on the majority of HAL cruises we have taken in the last 10 years it was the classical music performance. If this was indeed a cut by HQ (and not a contractual or staffing issue), wow, what a bone headed decision. Everyone worth knowing enjoys classical music. 

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

If there were any "standing room only" performances on the majority of HAL cruises we have taken in the last 10 years it was the classical music performance. If this was indeed a cut by HQ (and not a contractual or staffing issue), wow, what a bone headed decision. Everyone worth knowing enjoys classical music. 

I didn't see SRO for classical on HAL until LC arrived on the scene. The previous classical groups varied in quality, but LC was always excellent. It's sad that people missed out on some great music because they were turned off by the idea of classical. Some of the sets were contemporary--their Eleanor Rigby was outstanding!

I think one of the ways HAL is justifying the change is that LC didn't generate any revenue. People buy drinks at BBKing and Rolling Stone. But there's no bar in LC on most ships. Perhaps if they had sent a bar waiter in before the sets started, they could have made some money. I would have enjoyed sipping on a little something while I listened.

The first year LC were on K'dam and had their own venue, bar waiters came through before the set and made it clear that they would not be circulating through the area during the performance so as to not be a distraction, so we ordered drinks right away. 

• Like 3

Music seems to be still up in the air, but I don't think we will be hearing Classical music on anything but the longer cruises. Not  HAL's standard 7 day cruises.  What constitutes "longer" is the question: 14 days,  21, 35?). That will likely be on the Main Stage and possibly back to a 4 or 5 member group.

I believe the Ocean Bar group is a permanent addition to HAL's music lineup and very popular.

19 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

On our NS cruise, a couple of weeks ago, we were treated to the most amazing classical pianist on the main stage.  If this is the caliber of talent replacing LCS then all I have to say is THANK YOU, HAL!

On our Zaandam Panama Canal cruise a few months ago we had a classical duo (Pianist and violin) from the Ukraine.  Best classical music I have ever hear on about 70 cruises, including ten HAL cruises.   First name of pianist was Denys, tremendous skill and wide repertoire.  I asked him what other cruises they would be on, and with a grimace he said they were only booked on HAL for the folllow-on cruise (up to Montreal).  I wrote to HAL saying they needed more of this quality of music!

• Like 5