No more classical music?!

cartervan

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

But I have a problem with the "social environment" approach. I like to LISTEN to music, and not just the classical performances. I don't want to have to hear people's conversations while I'm trying to enjoy music. People may not shout as they do in the loud venues, but they do talk loudly to be heard over the music in smaller lounges. I've seen/heard it on ships, in restaurants, even outdoor jazz concerts. I don't understand the point of going to a music performance only to ignore it and talk the whole time. 

This.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Oops, I worded that poorly. 

What I meant to say is that having a quartet or trio in Ocean Bar is a fine idea and addition to the ship's other musical offerings. I just don't think it replaces what LCS provided in any way. 

Last fall on Celebrity (on a ship about the same size as the Vista-class ships), they had a 10-11 piece orchestra that accompanied their shows; pieces of this group were also utilized in various combos around the ship as needed (e.g., a couple of nights some of the members did jazz sets in the atrium). Plus there was an accoustical guitarist/singer, a singer and keyboardist who played in the bar where people tended to gather pre- and post-dinner (with a dance floor), a classical duo, and a "house band" that played covers.

Cunard has a similar variety of offerings on their Vistas as well as on QM2. Sadly, HAL has put all their money into what is pretty much the same genre.

Adding the combo in Ocean bar is a good move, especially when you consider the poor offerings in the main stage. But the only way it replaces LCS is as a line in the budget. HAL is too cheap to give us both.

• Like 2

I wrote a letter to the president of Holland America to express my feelings that it would be a mistake to lose Lincoln Center.  I mentioned that it is something special on the HAL ships and that it would be greatly missed.  Haven't had a response!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/29/2023 at 1:43 PM, ExpatBride said:

I'm also a young GenXer, and classical music is one of the things that endeared me to HAL. I'm sailing next month for the first time since 2016 and was shocked after I booked to discover how many of the things that separated HAL from other lines have been discontinued. 

I don't expect things to stay the same, but a lot of the cuts were things that set HAL apart for the better....

Very well said! For years, we were among the youngest cruisers on board, yet it was those special things that made HAL different that kept us coming back, year after year. Perhaps those who were previously over these decisions to make cuts didn't realize how much the "little things" mattered (I understand some had never taken a cruise before, so I guess it would be easier to cut, cut, cut than evaluate what had set them apart:>).

"Big doors swing on small hinges."

I'm happy to hear about some of the things returning and am hoping that a classical music group that entertains almost nightly will return soon. Here's to a bright future! 😃

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 4

I might be an optimist but I think we will see some version on the ships - whether it be the Adagio version, Rosarios or another alternative.

I’ll wait and see what happens on our next cruise and yes, there should be something. It was one thing DD DH and I enjoyed.  We actually enjoyed it more on the P’dam in their intimate setting than I did at the Lincoln Stage Centre but it might have been my mood at the time.  😉 

• Like 2

On 6/30/2023 at 12:02 PM, JAVERZ said:

I wrote a letter to the president of Holland America to express my feelings that it would be a mistake to lose Lincoln Center.  I mentioned that it is something special on the HAL ships and that it would be greatly missed.  Haven't had a response!

I wrote to the office of the president this winter.

Here is a part of the response I received three days later.

"In addition, and in regard to changes, Holland America, like all other businesses, must keep up with the times and make changes to meet our business needs. We realize that not all of our Mariners are pleased with some of the changes such as the elimination of the rooms that are specifically for the Lincoln Center Stage. While the musicians will be rotating on our various ships, they will now be performing on the World Stage, which accommodates more guests, and they will remain high caliber talent from Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts. Please know our company continues to monitor our guests’ complaints, as well as their positive comments, to review all aspects of our sailings to determine whether changes should be made."

Unfortunately, all the responses from emails to the office of the president have been generic without regard to the specifics of my email.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mwj said:

While the musicians will be rotating on our various ships, they will now be performing on the World Stage, which accommodates more guests, and they will remain high caliber talent from Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts.

So far I have not heard of them rotating or performing on ANY ships since around the end of April. 

I'm left wondering when this will actually come about (if ever)?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jthek said:

I could listen to Rhapsody in Blue every night and not get tired of it

Yeah, I told you that the LCS rendition actually brought tears to my eyes. So beautiful!

• Like 1

I give them a standing ovation every time

I doubt that they will be rotating around Alaska

We will see as I get on Kdam next Saturday 

Susan, maybe you can call Jennifer and speak to her, haha

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The response mwj received from Holland America with respect to Lincoln Center was very disappointing.  Lincoln Center is a much better venue than world stage for the classical music performance.  The room is much too large and a few instrumentalists are totally out of place.  The four or five performers would look very lonely on the big stage.  They are not a symphony orchestra!  Even the lounges are a poor venue because people don't necessarily pay attention and are much more interested in enjoying a cocktail and a visit with friends.  I think we have to continue to tell the "powers that be" at HAL what we think.  It has been our experience that the performances in Lincoln Center are very well attended so it is something that doesn't need to be changed.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jthek said:

Hey Gus

Bring LCS back

Maybe some enterprising CC'er should print up some pins with this phrase on it and give them out at roll calls. 😆

Edited to add:  Oh wait, HAL doesn't attend roll call meetings, see separate post. LOL.

Guess we can just wear them around the ship.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, JAVERZ said:

The response mwj received from Holland America with respect to Lincoln Center was very disappointing.  Lincoln Center is a much better venue than world stage for the classical music performance.  The room is much too large and a few instrumentalists are totally out of place.  The four or five performers would look very lonely on the big stage.  They are not a symphony orchestra!  Even the lounges are a poor venue because people don't necessarily pay attention and are much more interested in enjoying a cocktail and a visit with friends.  I think we have to continue to tell the "powers that be" at HAL what we think.  It has been our experience that the performances in Lincoln Center are very well attended so it is something that doesn't need to be changed.

I see only the venue on the Pinnacle class ships as being "right" for Lincoln Center.

The present  venue, the Explorers Lounge, is too small and too crowded for the popularity of this group. Serving drinks is almost non-existent and pax standing out in the hallway is not very classy or uncomfortable :)

However, I can see the group playing the World Stage, but not on the stage itself.  On the area in front of the stage where the seating is on the same level (as in the Explorers Lounge) and then in some rows behind, making for a more intimate grouping.  Serving drinks would easy and I would think more people would partake (as at the shows).  Entrance could be confined to to Deck One straight to the front area.

If HAL can put one comedian or one musician on this stage, they can put a 4 or 5  member instrumental group.

What are the inherent acoustics built into the Main Stage. Can they be tweaked for live chamber music performances? Or will they be miked, muddied and and lost in this large deadened space designed only for electronically enhanced performances?

Theaters can be fine tuned for speaking performances and/or musical performances.  Was this a consideration when the Main State was designed.

Maybe they could use drop down baffles and enclose a performance space on the main stage itself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

What are the inherent acoustics built into the Main Stage. Can they be tweaked for live chamber music performances? Or will they be miked, muddied and and lost in this large deadened space designed only for electronically enhanced performances?

Theaters can be fine tuned for speaking performances and/or musical performances.  Was this a consideration when the Main State was designed.

Maybe they could use drop down baffles and enclose a performance space on the main stage itself.

💯  Right!!  And to paraphrase something I said a while back in another similar thread -- there's a reason that they call the LCS type of performances "chamber music".

• Like 2

23 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

So far I have not heard of them rotating or performing on ANY ships since around the end of April. 

I'm left wondering when this will actually come about (if ever)?

Different group altogether but apparently, the Step One dancers are starting to rotate also! More cost cutting, I suppose  😐

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2023 at 12:38 AM, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

While I can understand the appeal of LCS for many, for me as an individual, I would much rather see HAL bring in a good jazz combo like days of yore, and/or have a band/singer focusing on standards and great American songbook with music from the 1920s-50s. This type of music/entertainment lends itself to a more social environment, where cocktails and conversation and couples/social dancing can flow. LCS is too much of a hush-hush, sit, watch and politely listen, but don’t speak or drink kind of event. I love classical music but I prefer a more social environment. Rolling Stone Rock Room, BB Kings and Billboard are all well and good, but require some creative shouting to thy neighbor to be heard but not bother those around you. 

But, to digress, for some people the hush-hush is good.  My beloved gets in a good nap during the classical performances.  When I've asked him about that, he just nods and says he was "resting his eyes".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Different group altogether but apparently, the Step One dancers are starting to rotate also! More cost cutting, I suppose  😐

No rotating on the Rotterdam in May

• Thanks 1

On 6/29/2023 at 11:38 PM, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

While I can understand the appeal of LCS for many, for me as an individual, I would much rather see HAL bring in a good jazz combo like days of yore, and/or have a band/singer focusing on standards and great American songbook with music from the 1920s-50s. This type of music/entertainment lends itself to a more social environment, where cocktails and conversation and couples/social dancing can flow. LCS is too much of a hush-hush, sit, watch and politely listen, but don’t speak or drink kind of event. I love classical music but I prefer a more social environment. Rolling Stone Rock Room, BB Kings and Billboard are all well and good, but require some creative shouting to thy neighbor to be heard but not bother those around you. 

We just sailed with RCL on the Quantum OTS.  They had a "Big Band" orchestra that was outstanding. Lots of horns and woodwinds plus a piano. They were in one of the larger venues, but the place was packed to hear them. No singer though.  Maybe they can do something like that. 

• Like 2