Create another Guarantee booking to see what you get?

speedgraphic

UPDATE!

I made another booking, for a Veranda guarantee instead of the Concierge Veranda. I got stateroom #9125, deck 9, "Prime Veranda", for a savings of about $250 over stateroom #1007, deck 10, Concierge.

Thinking about keeping the cheaper one and buying a dining package. I've heard it's not really worth it to get Concierge anymore if you don't care about points - my wife was intrigued by the "upgraded room service" menu but I'm not convinced.

Interesting that they assigned a room twice within 12 hours on a GTY!

Edited by speedgraphic

Both of these cabins are pretty far forward.   There are lots of V1 cabins available on deck 9 including some on the "hump".   If it were me I'd call and ask them to change my cabin to.9288 on the hump.  It is bed by the balcony and doesn't have a sleeper sofa so max capacity 2.

And yes I would take this 1 deck down to save $250.  With the new room service fee for all hot breakfast items the "enhanced room service menu" doesn't make sense to me.   I'd trade that and use the $250 for a couple specialty dinners.

image.png.564dc38eb80c97e6f2bdb91e3faf4cca.png

Edited by wrk2cruise
  • Thanks 1

I hope you called Expedia before you did this. The last time I booked a cruise through them there was a fee if you cancelled - not from the cruise line but from them. They had it buried deep in their fine print. Of all the ways to book a cruise, Expedia is not one that I would suggest.

56 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I hope you called Expedia before you did this. The last time I booked a cruise through them there was a fee if you cancelled - not from the cruise line but from them. They had it buried deep in their fine print. Of all the ways to book a cruise, Expedia is not one that I would suggest.

I would not book through them either and didn't think you were allowed to mention TA name on this board. Rules changed?

42 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I would not book through them either and didn't think you were allowed to mention TA name on this board. Rules changed?

No, rules haven’t changed. Mod hasn’t seen it to delete the posts.

If you book a GTY stateroom and you are assigned an actual stateroom number early on, can the cruise line bump you to a different stateroom later on, since it's just a GTY? That would be my concern. Or once they assign the stateroom after booking the GTY, is it locked down and set in stone? Also if you book at GTY stateroom, if the prices across the sailing drop, can you later change the booking to an actual assigned stateroom if there is one available that you like, as long as you are not past final payment? Just curious. No plans to book anything new at this time. Never tried the guaranteed route. I'm too much of a control freak. lol

1 hour ago, SSFrance69 said:

If you book a GTY stateroom and you are assigned an actual stateroom number early on, can the cruise line bump you to a different stateroom later on, since it's just a GTY? That would be my concern. Or once they assign the stateroom after booking the GTY, is it locked down and set in stone? Also if you book at GTY stateroom, if the prices across the sailing drop, can you later change the booking to an actual assigned stateroom if there is one available that you like, as long as you are not past final payment? Just curious. No plans to book anything new at this time. Never tried the guaranteed route. I'm too much of a control freak. lol

Once a GTY is assigned that becomes your stateroom unless you upgrade to a stateroom  of your choice that is more than what you paid for the GTY. I've had excellent luck with guarantees and if I'm not happy with location I ask to be put back into the pool. Twice I got an A1 category on the slant of the ship with large verandah. I'm also a control freak but still love a bargain.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wrote this post on 6-18 and it got very little love and no likes.  But I thought it was pretty good, as it showed a potential way to see what cabin you would get without even leaving a deposit.  I was surprised it got no love, but "oh well"...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2945083-how-to-maybe-know-which-cabin-youre-assigned-before-even-paying-a-deposit/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/28/2023 at 11:51 AM, speedgraphic said:

I am a vicious deal hunter and scored a LA->Cabo->San Diego->LA on Celebrity Eclipse for Oct 22-28, Balcony Concierge Guarantee, for $1355 for two people, with tax/fees but before gratuities (got room 1007, Deck 10), no perks, on Expedia.

I noticed that there is now a Balcony (non Concierge) Guarantee on the same sailing for $1,095 for two people (again with taxes and fees but before gratuities). Does it make sense to book that too to see if I get an OK stateroom, then cancel the first booking? Will I even be allowed to do that? I would love to save ~$250 and spend it on some snorkeling.

My concern is that my wife does not want an obstructed view (particularly those from lifeboats).

P.S. I'm also a "deal hunter", and it looks we will be on that same cruise, not too far from your cabin (same deck).  I think I saw that one other in this thread will be on the same cruise too.  I thought about booking standard veranda, but $150 pp isn't a lot of money & I can use the extra Captain's Club points, as I inch towards Elite status.

I usually travel with my GF, but it will be me and a buddy on this one.  He lives within walking distance of the San Diego cruise terminal, but I think we will just hangout on the ship when it's in SD.

Started off as a cheap cruise, but we've added a premium drink package, premium wi-fi, specialty restaurant and suddenly it's not nearly as cheap, lol.  But still, the 50% off promo definitely helped.

Edited by Stockjock

8 hours ago, Stockjock said:

P.S. I'm also a "deal hunter", and it looks we will be on that same cruise, not too far from your cabin (same deck).  I think I saw that one other in this thread will be on the same cruise too.  I thought about booking standard veranda, but $150 pp isn't a lot of money & I can use the extra Captain's Club points, as I inch towards Elite status.

I usually travel with my GF, but it will be me and a buddy on this one.  He lives within walking distance of the San Diego cruise terminal, but I think we will just hangout on the ship when it's in SD.

Started off as a cheap cruise, but we've added a premium drink package, premium wi-fi, specialty restaurant and suddenly it's not nearly as cheap, lol.  But still, the 50% off promo definitely helped.

I don't know why some people knock the guarantee cabins. They are a great value especially if cruising solo and paying double occupancy. I remember several years ago I was assigned a 2D deck 6 on an S class ship the day after I booked. Didn't like location so got put back into the pool next day got the same cabin assignment again. Waited a few days back to the pool, the last 2D sold and got a 2C and was able to change within the category.  Nice big balcony at aft of deck 7 with no obstruction.   Not sure if they do this anymore but always worked for me. 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 2:43 AM, whataboutport said:

Thanks to everyone who commented on when/how they assign gty rooms. I booked on Sun and since you all mentioned it, went to check and my room was assigned. A little lower than I hoped but not bad at all! I'm happy

When we were assigned a guarantee room we were able to transfer to another room when better location one was  available - once in the same category. Our TA phoned and did it for us. Might be worth a try if you saw one you liked. - (room, I mean…)

Edited by killarneylady

6 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I don't know why some people knock the guarantee cabins. They are a great value especially if cruising solo and paying double occupancy. I remember several years ago I was assigned a 2D deck 6 on an S class ship the day after I booked. Didn't like location so got put back into the pool next day got the same cabin assignment again. Waited a few days back to the pool, the last 2D sold and got a 2C and was able to change within the category.  Nice big balcony at aft of deck 7 with no obstruction.   Not sure if they do this anymore but always worked for me. 

Because some of us are as particular about where our cabin is as others are about their wines. 😄