Carnival "Mahogany Bay" Cruise port in Roatan

Eli_6

Mods - Please don't move this to the Roatan board. This *IS* a Carnival related question because Carnival owns the port and only Carnival cruise ships dock there.  

What I am wondering is if there is enough to do in the port area and via the magic chair lift to the Mahogany Bay Beach that we can just stay in the area and not bother getting a cab to another area (like West Bay beach or Half Moon Bay). I am mainly wanting to just snorkel from the beach and have a few drinks.  Is the shore snorkeling from Mahogany Bay beach any good?  If we stay in the area, I may also try to zip line in the area. 

On the Roatan board, it seems like most of the people on there recommending going to West Bay beach and doing a resort day pass are coming in on NCL, RCL, etc. and that port is not as nice.  Thus, I am wondering if there is any reason to even pay the money to do this if coming in on Carnival at the better port where everything is sort of an extension of the ship. 

When we go to Mahogany Bay we always stay at the port. The beach is nice especially if only one ship in port. You can walk to the beach. It is scenic and tropical and shaded. There are benches along the path. There is shade at the beach which we prefer. There are lots of chaise lounges. There is a restaurant and bar with servers who come around or you can go sit there to eat and drink. The prices were reasonable. The food platters were large. We always split one. They had music. 

• Like 7

We've been to Mahogany Bay many times and have never done an excursion. 

You can stay in the beach area and you can also pay for the "exclusive area" with servers that take care of you for your stay.

They do charge for the chair lift (was $14pp (adult) the last time we were there)

It's a little pricey ($85) at that time for the exclusive area but we did it and stayed in the water for almost 3 hours (going back & forth for our drinks of course).

We find it very nice there, but I guess you may hear others say the opposite.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 3

@hapytobehr and @sunonfire Thank you for your responses!  Do yall know if the snorkeling from that beach is any good?  I read one review on the "Jolly Roger" catamaran tour that said the snorkeling from the "free beach" near the port was better than the snorkeling on that excursion so it made me assume there was at least SOME snorkeling.  But I wasn't sure if there was a reef out the reviewer was being sarcastic. 

• Like 1

While I can't speak to snorkeling from Mahogany Bay beach I can say it is a nice beach day experience.

I would urge caution when looking at West Bay beach resort day passes. Take a look at the place on Google Maps at the least. We once went on one of those through Carnival excursions and only by dumb luck was it enjoyable. Many of these "resorts" are hotels or motels with maybe a couple of hundred feet of beach front all squeezed together sitting right up against beach. The real killer though is up to high tide point is public property and swarmed with folks selling things quite loudly and obnoxiously. As a beach this place, and the dozen or so neighboring it, was the pits. What saved us was we ran across a small group of folks from Dallas who were a riot. We spent the day sitting at a nice table under a palm tree drinking and laughing.

One alternative that is good for the beach and snorkeling experience is Maya Key. Being an island there are no merchants hawking their goods and it has a nice beach and a pier for snorkeling. But if you would not be interested in the included food (good) and wildlife sanctuary (including wild parrots around the place) and if the snorkeling at the port is good then the port may be the better choice.

• Like 1

My research showed that the snorkeling at Mahogany Bay port is minimal at best.

For that reason we chose a Carnival excursion to Tabyana Beach Break, right on the edge of the reef.  Yes, the day resort is kinda “rustic” as some would say (it’s a day use venue), we didn’t see any of the broken lounge chairs that everyone comments about….we were able to sit anywhere (our bus was prob first/2nd to arrive..we chose a couple of rows back from the water side, under the shade of the big trees).

The excursion states that the return bus is a specific time, but actually there are busses returning about every 30 - 60 min, so you CAN stay later if you are having fun!

We didn’t eat at Tabyana (the menue looked ok for offerings & prices) and we didn’t wander the beach to find other food venues like we’d planned..I guess we had a big enuf breakfast & we had granola bars & water with us.  There is waiter service for food/beverage (a can of ice cold Diet Pepsi was $2 USD) & USD is accepted.

We chose this day trip for its cheaper price, location to the reef & easy transportation, we were there to snorkel! 

The snorkelling was the easiest that we have ever encountered (sandy beach entrance/flat calm water/lots of area to explore…there are “guides” that Tabyana has for “tips only”, will pull you (using a swim ring or kayak) to the outer reef & show you the different areas, but we declined.  Our underwater experience was good…but not the best we’ve seen (we have been blessed to snorkel in the South Pacific & many times in Maui) the corals closest to the beach are quite sand covered, so yes you do need to go out a bit further from the shoreline.

All things considered….we had a great day, felt safe the whole time & would recommend the excursion.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lasekeye said:

My research showed that the snorkeling at Mahogany Bay port is minimal at best.

For that reason we chose a Carnival excursion to Tabyana Beach Break, right on the edge of the reef.  Yes, the day resort is kinda “rustic” as some would say (it’s a day use venue), we didn’t see any of the broken lounge chairs that everyone comments about….we were able to sit anywhere (our bus was prob first/2nd to arrive..we chose a couple of rows back from the water side, under the shade of the big trees).

The excursion states that the return bus is a specific time, but actually there are busses returning about every 30 - 60 min, so you CAN stay later if you are having fun!

We didn’t eat at Tabyana (the menue looked ok for offerings & prices) and we didn’t wander the beach to find other food venues like we’d planned..I guess we had a big enuf breakfast & we had granola bars & water with us.  There is waiter service for food/beverage (a can of ice cold Diet Pepsi was $2 USD) & USD is accepted.

We chose this day trip for its cheaper price, location to the reef & easy transportation, we were there to snorkel! 

The snorkelling was the easiest that we have ever encountered (sandy beach entrance/flat calm water/lots of area to explore…there are “guides” that Tabyana has for “tips only”, will pull you (using a swim ring or kayak) to the outer reef & show you the different areas, but we declined.  Our underwater experience was good…but not the best we’ve seen (we have been blessed to snorkel in the South Pacific & many times in Maui) the corals closest to the beach are quite sand covered, so yes you do need to go out a bit further from the shoreline.

All things considered….we had a great day, felt safe the whole time & would recommend the excursion.

Ditto

• Like 1

The ,one time we went to Roatan, we did a trip to the Iguana farm then to Werst Bay beach.

The snorkeling right from shore there was amazing. (Only snorkeling I enjoyed more was from a catamaran in Grand Cayman with a great guide)

I can guarantee that any snorkeling from the free Carnival area won't be close to the experience of a true reef that close to shore.

Edited by bguppies
  • Like 1

The snorkeling at the free beach is not that great, especially in comparison to the west bay/tabyana area. If snorkeling is a big priority you should take an excursion there. It's some of the best beach snorkeling anywhere.

However, if you just want to snorkel a little and have a beach day, the free beach is fantastic. And, it's easy to walk to if you don't want to pay for the chairlift.

• Like 2

Getting ready for our third trip to Mahogany Bat in 15 more days!  The first time we did the Jolly Roger snorkeling and still had PLENTY of time to take the Magic Chair over to the beach for the afternoon.   I can't say enough good things about the Jolly Roger.  We've taken several catamaran tours over the years and the JR crew were great!!  The snorkeling was good, the drinks were good, the guides were great with the guests!  I guess my point is you have time to do both!  Second time we just stayed at the beach with the chairs and umbrellas and this upcoming trip, we're moving over to a cabana with friends.  HMC and Mahogany Bay are my two favorite ports!  

• Like 2

Ok...so snorkeling at MB doesn't sound like it is that great.  Anyone been (recently) to Half Moon Bay to snorkel?  We went 15 years ago on an NCL cruise (took a cab) and it was amazing snorkeling...BUT that was 15 years ago.

7 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Ok...so snorkeling at MB doesn't sound like it is that great.  Anyone been (recently) to Half Moon Bay to snorkel?  We went 15 years ago on an NCL cruise (took a cab) and it was amazing snorkeling...BUT that was 15 years ago.

I think you are confusing HMC ( Half Moon Cay) with whatever NCLs private island is.  NCL does not go to HMC.

22 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I think you are confusing HMC ( Half Moon Cay) with whatever NCLs private island is.  NCL does not go to HMC.

Similar name, but different place. 🙂

I am talking about a place we went to in Roatan where there is good reef snorkeling:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g303875-d8027628-Reviews-Half_Moon_Bay-West_End_Roatan_Bay_Islands.html

The negative is that it was a pretty good cab ride (and slightly scary cab ride) from the NCL dock.  (This may have changed in 15 years.)  I don't think it would be worth it unless I knew the snorkeling was as good now as it was back then.

Edited by Eli_6

My son has a home in Roatan. He goes to more out of the way places for snorkeling etc especially when cruise ships are in...all the tourist beaches and the the traffic are a nightmare if several ships are in. I guess if snorkeling is a must and no other ports you have are good for snorkeling it might ge worth an excursions to do that but for a family Mahogany Bay has all you need and you don't have to add travel time to enjoy it !

• Like 2

As already stated if you want the best snorkeling you want to go to Tabayana Beach. We also don't go there for the amenities though they are adequate. My first snorkeling experience was here and it was amazing. I have not found anywhere to compare. We are finally going back in Sept and I can't wait!

• Like 2

For those of you who have done Tabyana Beach and Jolly Roger - which do you rec?

In looking at a map, it appears "Tabyana Beach" is just the beach by the Paradise Beach Hotel, Mayan Princess, etc.  Should I do the Carnival excursion or the $39 package at Paradise Beach Hotel (that including transportation) and doing the day pass at Paradise beach Hotel that way I can also use their nice facilities and pool rather and can come/go as I please?  Or is the area such that I should use Carnival excursions???

I also notice that it appears Half Moon Bay is just north of this so I suspect the snorkeling is similar.  

You are right about Tabyana. It's all the same reef. I would do the Paradise Beach facility (in fact we have twice and also Infinity Bay). The snorkeling is the same and the facilities are better. 

The red arrow in the picture I posted is in front of Infinty Bay and the place you want to enter to snorkel. It's an easy walk from Paradise (to  the left) or Tabyana (to the right).

Edited by grantbob

For context, we were last at Infinity Bay resort in Nov of 21 (4th time to West Bay reef) and just stayed at Mahogany Bay Beach in April of 22 to try it out. I love to snorkel and it's a big part of cruising for me. I make sure to get in one good snorkeling day on each cruise if possible. 

• 7 months later...
Posted (edited)

I have snorkeled at Mahogany bay three times and it is very good but the last time was 2019 (going again in August).  In comparing it with our excursion to WBay I would argue you can have at least an equal experience right off the pier if you know where to go.   A couple of pointers would be when you swim out to the reef from the pier, go parallel to the reef and there is a nice opening that allows you to get to the backside of the first reef so you have the reef on both sides.  The important part is remembering where the opening is as that is the only way to get back over the reef to shore.  The second tip is most people snorkeling stay right at the pier or very close.  If you swim about 25yds to the left (away from port) the reef gets better.  I have great pictures of lobster (they don’t have claws in Roatan), sting rays, etc…  

Edited by DeckerCain