I thought I wouldn't miss 2x a day room cleaning... I was wrong.

We were on Harmony 2 weeks ago and had a fabulous stateroom attendant.  We picked early and he did a great job.  He also came in every evening to replace the ice in our wine bucket and drop off our cruise compasses for the next day. Hopefully this is the norm and not just luck.  We’re in a JS in 3 weeks so we’ll still get twice daily service on our b2b cruises so my luck won’t be tested until Oct.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tatka said:

I am cruising 5 times (6-14 days) a year, last several years all with RCI.

Last times menus changed was 7-8 years ago. I knew every day by heart. 

Now there is some variation.

When you say minority what is your sample size?

The only clear downside is lobsters, but it is more connected to deficits/prices for this commodity. Lobsters are more expensive even where we live on average, and with huge losses RCI experienced over 2020 - 2022 they cannot afford to keep this item unlimited.

Yes, maybe they have a bit more time to clean each room and do each procedure better, but rooms are cleaned better in our experience.

I am not a fan of the new menus either. Its not as much as they changed it, its that they cheapened the ingredients and choices. On our 12 day cruise I swear there was some form of "cottage pie", "shepherds pie" or some other offering in a pastry crust at least 5 nights. We always enjoyed the classics being offered every night, although the french onion soup, which is our favorite and a nightly indulgence, was abysmal -- smaller portion no longer in a crock, little cheese, lukewarm favorless broth. That and the temperature of the food was inconsistent and rarely hot enough. The curry's were the saving grace most nights. 

Hopefully the chef on the Oasis later this week knows how to make french onion soup.

mac_tlc

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

I am not a fan of the new menus either. Its not as much as they changed it, its that they cheapened the ingredients and choices. On our 12 day cruise I swear there was some form of "cottage pie", "shepherds pie" or some other offering in a pastry crust at least 5 nights. We always enjoyed the classics being offered every night, although the french onion soup, which is our favorite and a nightly indulgence, was abysmal -- smaller portion no longer in a crock, little cheese, lukewarm favorless broth. That and the temperature of the food was inconsistent and rarely hot enough. The curry's were the saving grace most nights. 

Hopefully the chef on the Oasis later this week knows how to make french onion soup.

mac_tlc

I had a hard time finding any onions in the french onion soup.  Don't order it any more.

8 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

I had a hard time finding any onions in the french onion soup.  Don't order it any more.

I don't have very high standards when it comes to food.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good quality meal that is cooked right.  But, for example, if Onion Soup tastes good quality and cooked right but has little/no visible onions, I'll enjoy it.  I don't even care if it is HOT, warm is good enough for me.  Generic cereals, generic frozen veggies, et al, are fine for me.  But again, I do love well-marbled, prime, and cooked-to-perfection (medium rare), >16 oz, Tomahawk Ribeye from 5-star restaurants.  My favorite meal is Meatloaf with Mashed Potatoes and brown gravy.  I don't think I've ever seen Meatloaf in Royal's MDR.  I believe I've seen it in the WJ and in Wonderland.  

9 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Unless you are renting out the flow rider for a private event ($$$$) there is no pre booking for that activity. 

You could book private on our Oasis sailing three  weeks ago. We opted for the private lesson time, much cheaper at $79 pp. I think the private 1 hr session was about 550. They were both in the CP about a week before sailing. 

Edited by Boz575

3 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

mac_tlc

We had French onion soup in crock in May. Maybe it’s a problem on particular ship?

We usually are on 3-4 ships every year and things may vary.

Edited by Tatka

2 hours ago, Boz575 said:

You could book private on our Oasis sailing three  weeks ago. We opted for the private lesson time, much cheaper at $79 pp. I think the private 1 hr session was about 550. They were both in the CP about a week before sailing. 

That is what we wanted. The private 1 hour since there are several of us. It was fully booked several weeks out from our sailing-I didn’t even know that was possible!  The week before I will be one the ship as well and there is a lot of availability, but the group that wants it is on the second week of my b2b. I will ask as soon as I board to see if there are openings that weren’t listed on the app

On 7/6/2023 at 2:44 PM, lovesthebeach2 said:

Where do I find this on the app? Do I need to be connected to their wifi to use this? 
thanks

Also on Anthem of the Seas   in the cabin was this card with a QR code to order extra items for the cabin

20230803_180650.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/3/2023 at 2:47 PM, ShillyShally said:

It's the ice bucket I'm most worried about, but I'll deal if needed!  Love that she hid a stash for you!

we take a hard sided 12 can cooler with us and have it filled up with ice  every morning. That works all day long for assorted adult beverages. As far as cleanliness, we are neat freaks and once a day is fine..life is good.

Totally agree!  I didn’t think I was going to miss it, and I do!  I wish I could opt for 2x per day for an extra $$ per cabin.  That would be money well spent in my case, and solve the financial piece - but it may be too fluctuating to be able to staff.

We used the scan QR code to request ice as soon as the rooms opened.  Day 2 when we first met our attendant he had no idea and was if we never requested anything 😞 .

I also think it HAS to be impacting their extra tips.  I know I won’t tip extra (or as much extra) in the envelope if I haven’t seen them frequently.

Edited by nanseev
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

You do know there are hotels doing every other day housekeeping. Not happy about that.  Will work with once a day housekeeping. 

Equating hotels to cruising is comparing apples to oranges.  We normally only stay in hotels for one night.  Any more than that is the exception rather than the rule.  We've yet to cruise with once a day housekeeping as our past and future sailings are in JS's.   I'm wondering how this once a day service is affecting their tip tip horray envelope?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

Equating hotels to cruising is comparing apples to oranges.  We normally only stay in hotels for one night.  Any more than that is the exception rather than the rule.  We've yet to cruise with once a day housekeeping as our past and future sailings are in JS's.   I'm wondering how this once a day service is affecting their tip tip horray envelope?

We're cruising in late September and will find out.  And as to hotels this will be our 2nd time in less than a month where we're in a hotel more than 2 nts.

On 8/7/2023 at 7:34 PM, njkruzer said:

We're cruising in late September and will find out.  And as to hotels this will be our 2nd time in less than a month where we're in a hotel more than 2 nts.

I often stay in hotels more than one night, especially if I'm on vacation or just doing a long weekend somewhere. Most hotels don't touch your room anymore unless you have a special request. Twice a day is pretty ridiculous when you think about it.

• Haha 1

For me, I cruise for the amenities and other reasons.  One of the amenities is the clean-up/tidy-up, their turn down, the replenishment, and the attention from the steward, twice a day.  Can I live without it?  Yes, of course.  But, I expect and have become accustomed to much more than what a hotel offers unless I stay at the Mark Penthouse in NYC, which I don't, not at $75K a night.  Having said that, if there is only once-a-day cabin service, I'll get many extra towels.  

But, that's me.  I do not expect anyone else to have the same desires as me and I will not try to force my way of thinking on anyone.  I respect everyone's opinions (cruise related, that is) and desires.

• Like 2

We have back to back on Jewel Sept-Oct 2023. Once a day is fine with us, we are neat, nothing to clean up after us, just linen service, and will request "late".

Currently we are on Celebrity and they are full bore on twice a day +.

On hotel topic, we were in NYC, Times Square, 4 nights before boarding ship, and there was no regular servicing of the room. They had a huge linen container on each floor and you dropped your used towels and picked your own each day. Also came with TP, bar soap and Kleenex. I guess when someone asks for the room to be cleaned they may get to it, but it didn't bother us. We don't change our sheets after four nights, so not a problem.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Carnival Cheerleader said:

Granted, I have never tried removing only part of the gratuities on Royal (never had a need to) but I have been doing that routinely on Carnival since Carnival went to only 1 cleaning a day when they restarted after Covid. Something I will have to look into. Thank you for the heads up.

If you remove gratuities altogether and just tip those who you feel deserve it, you actually end up screwing them as it has been reported that they must turn in those gratuities to the tipping pool.  Best to leave on the auto grats and complain to management via the comment cards/survey.

31 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

If you remove gratuities altogether and just tip those who you feel deserve it, you actually end up screwing them as it has been reported that they must turn in those gratuities to the tipping pool.  Best to leave on the auto grats and complain to management via the comment cards/survey.

How would anyone know if you passed someone cash?   

I guess you could ask your cabin attendant if they are required to turn over cash tips.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

How would anyone know if you passed someone cash?   

I guess you could ask your cabin attendant if they are required to turn over cash tips.  

Only have to turn over cash tips if auto grats are removed.  If you leave on auto grats, any extra you give the cabin attendant, they get to keep.  

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

Only have to turn over cash tips if auto grats are removed.  If you leave on auto grats, any extra you give the cabin attendant, they get to keep.  

I think the question is HOW does the line know that you tipped cash? If you have them removed, there is no proof of tip if you give it to them in cash ( I am in the leave auto tips and add additional in cash camp..i'm just responding to the question.) It would be very easy for the room attendant to just say they got nothing. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

I think the question is HOW does the line know that you tipped cash? If you have them removed, there is no proof of tip if you give it to them in cash ( I am in the leave auto tips and add additional in cash camp..i'm just responding to the question.) It would be very easy for the room attendant to just say they got nothing. 

That's a valid point, but I've been told if they get caught holding back those tips, it is cause for immediate dismissal.  From what I've been told.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1