I thought I wouldn't miss 2x a day room cleaning... I was wrong.

I recently hired a programmer.   The guy we hired is working out fine, and I think the other 3 people we interviewed would have worked out fine too.  Maybe because it was a WFH position after initial training?   I love WFH, mainly because I hate and despise driving.  So, I'd literally rather work than drive.  

I'd been initially worried that we wouldn't get any strong candidates because 'no one wants to work' or those that do already having jobs.  I can understand though the dangers of security and phones.  In fact, I've made my smartphone a bit dim for security.  

9 minutes ago, BND said:

Getting attacked because I made a comment about what my son has encountered in trying to hire people this last year is interesting

Sorry if it came across as me attacking you or your son. It was not meant that way.

12 minutes ago, BND said:

RedIguana was making assumptions based on his own life I would assume.  Too bad.

I am making assumptions based on my own life (don't we all). I fail to see how that is bad though. I think we start in the low-mid $20 hour range at the lab I am at, the quality of applicants would definitely improve if they increased that to $30 an hour. $25 an hour for help desk and $40 an hour for experienced IT is just not very impressive anymore, especially if you have to undergo the security clearances I think you do. My wife's ex was making over that 15 years ago (had to pass clearances). 

49 minutes ago, nferr said:

Don't you think an employer would would fire those who are working 25% of the time?

Nope, they are very adroit at doing just enough to get by, and with the labor shortage, it’s hard to find a replacement, who will likely be no better. 

11 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

Nope, they are very adroit at doing just enough to get by, and with the labor shortage, it’s hard to find a replacement, who will likely be no better. 

Then it's on the employer.

15 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

Nope, they are very adroit at doing just enough to get by

So meeting the job requirements? Don't get me wrong, we have a few new analysts here (yes Millennials) who do not impress me and just don't seem to want to learn much. If they wanted better applicants they would up the pay though.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

So meeting the job requirements? Don't get me wrong, we have a few new analysts here (yes Millennials) who do not impress me and just don't seem to want to learn much. If they wanted better applicants they would up the pay though.

Exactly, pay better and you would have one good employee instead of four working 25% of the time. Which i don't believe any decent employer would allow anyway.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2023 at 10:20 PM, 2wheelin said:

OMG people! Bottles on a cruise ship are plastic. Soda cans can be easily crushed without stomping on the floor. Easy enough to shake out that last drop in the sink and crush by hand for most people. 

Even though they were joking about breaking glass bottles in their cabin, due to loyalty we get 3 bottles of champagne or wine. They are glass of course. Not everything is plastic.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2023 at 11:26 PM, Kiki and The Noush said:

I know what I am about to say won't be popular, but it is my opinion and you know about those 🙂  I wish they would give me back the things they have cut and raise the rates.  Everything in my world has been affected by inflation.  My electric has gone up 55% in the last 13 months, I'm in PA and we're back to near $4 for a gallon of gas, etc. etc. etc.  

I am paying the higher rate - I like twice a day service.  I want fresh towels.  I keep my cabin extremely tidy and yes, I make my bed.  I honestly don't understand how people have such a problem with trash - mine could be emptied once for the whole cruise and it would be fine.  Regardless, I still want twice a day service. For me, it is one of those things that makes cruising "special".  I never have a reason to stay in a hotel for a whole week.  If I take a land trip, it is usually in Europe and I opt for B&B's.  My next cruise is in a few weeks.  I booked a suite, bought the UDP and the DBP.  I like to have whatever I want, whenever I want it.  If I have to pay more for that - fine.  I get it.  I will say I am sick of hearing about yet another cut.  Just raise the rates and be done with it.  

Cruise with a more luxury line and you’ll get what you want. 

17 hours ago, goldfish65 said:

There is a difference in having your phone on you so family can reach you in case of emergency vs. walking around focused on  social media, like they are doing their employer a big favor just by their presence, which is what's going on more and more, sadly. Along with non-stop jibber-jabber, actually doing work maybe 25% of the time. 

What did people do before cell phones? In emergencies family can call the desk/work phone to get in touch with someone.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BND said:

She, but yes I did say "SOME".  Reading comprehension for some is difficult as you can see.  As I also stated, my DS is hiring for IT positions where pay for someone with experience who can also obtain a security clearance is very good.  Normally in the $40 and up per hour rate.  We're not talking minimum wage jobs here. Full benefits and 401K matched contributions.

My husband has had a job in the past with security clearance and sometimes money isn't everything. He was miserable doing that type of work, no phone or any electronics, couldn't even have a CD player, very joyless environment. His new job is way better, pays more, AND allows him to have his phone, etc on him. Also, I think our reading comprehension is fine, you just love to do the passive-aggressive insulting. 

22 hours ago, RedIguana said:

That is about starting here for help desk, might require an AA or AS.  Keep your phone with you at all times, 24 days vacation to start, 11 paid holidays, OT after 40 hours. Paid pension, health insurance paid for low plan, about $80 a month for best plan. Not a high COLA either. A few other benefits thrown in also. And this is just a city of about 80k (600k in county area). Not sure where you are at, but it does not look like they are offering anything special.

I'm up to 33 days (vacation/sick all the same pool). 

exactly. I think people are getting smarter about what jobs to accept, because we are worth making a living wage, getting time off, and having health insurance that is worth something. People act like 30/hr is a fortune too, with the inflation. I can tell you I couldn't afford to do a single vacation of ANY sort if I was making 30/hr, and would struggle financially with my day to day costs. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Cruise with a more luxury line and you’ll get what you want. 

What did people do before cell phones? In emergencies family can call the desk/work phone to get in touch with someone.

what if your kid has an emergency and they don't know your work phone? There are countless other situations like this, but honestly just because we used to live without cellphones doesn't mean that they aren't a necessity today. Times change. 

2 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

Times change

I installed my first cell phone in a Lamborghini Countach in 1986 (Fort Lauderdale, I was the installer, not the owner unfortunately). Car phone type cellular, not mobile. I carried a briefcase style in the early 1990's for work purposes. I obtained my first personal cell phone in 2000, when my wife became pregnant. My desk phone is useless if I am out of the lab and in the field. Not sure I would want to hear "Hey, Rediguana, your wife is having a baby" over the radio......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedIguana said:

I installed my first cell phone in a Lamborghini Countach in 1986 (Fort Lauderdale, I was the installer, not the owner unfortunately). Car phone type cellular, not mobile. I carried a briefcase style in the early 1990's for work purposes. I obtained my first personal cell phone in 2000, when my wife became pregnant. My desk phone is useless if I am out of the lab and in the field. Not sure I would want to hear "Hey, Rediguana, your wife is having a baby" over the radio......

Oh no doubt. I'd be horrified if people at work knew the user names I posted under. 

4 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

what if your kid has an emergency and they don't know your work phone? There are countless other situations like this, but honestly just because we used to live without cellphones doesn't mean that they aren't a necessity today. Times change. 

Heck, kids don't "know" phone numbers any more.  They're pre-programmed.  In which case, an office number can be preprogrammed.  Or, set up autoforwarding on your phone.  Having a cell phone available 24/7 is NOT a "necessity", even today.  

There are still places with poor (or no) cell coverage... and before you say "rural areas", the hotel I stayed at in St. Louis last week had poor coverage, as did my work site.  I was only able to use my phone because of wifi.  

There are also jobs where there should be limited, if not no, outside distractions.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

exactly. I think people are getting smarter about what jobs to accept, because we are worth making a living wage, getting time off, and having health insurance that is worth something. People act like 30/hr is a fortune too, with the inflation. I can tell you I couldn't afford to do a single vacation of ANY sort if I was making 30/hr, and would struggle financially with my day to day costs. 

That’s a spending priority problem, not an earning problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

That’s a spending priority problem, not an earning problem.

wrong, it's an economic problem. My mortgage is 2k, which is low for my area. My utilities are around 400.00/month, so right there that is already 2,400. I don't live in a super fancy neighborhood, my house was built in the 90s and is not in an HOA, so I don't pay dues. We have one car, which is paid off, but assuming most people don't have that, it's at least 200-300/month for a car payment. Plus gas to get to and from work. Plus car insurance. I haven't even gotten to food yet, we spend 100/week on food and we don't get fancy stuff and that is only for two of us. And all of this doesn't include other things, like tv streaming bills, my cell phone, clothing, health insurance, dental insurance, saving for retirement, and misc stuff.  

But I am sure you are going to say I should stop getting Starbucks once a week and that will solve my financial problems and I'll be able to retire early if I do that 😂

2 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

wrong, it's an economic problem. My mortgage is 2k, which is low for my area. My utilities are around 400.00/month, so right there that is already 2,400. I don't live in a super fancy neighborhood, my house was built in the 90s and is not in an HOA, so I don't pay dues. We have one car, which is paid off, but assuming most people don't have that, it's at least 200-300/month for a car payment. Plus gas to get to and from work. Plus car insurance. I haven't even gotten to food yet, we spend 100/week on food and we don't get fancy stuff and that is only for two of us. And all of this doesn't include other things, like tv streaming bills, my cell phone, clothing, health insurance, dental insurance, saving for retirement, and misc stuff.  

But I am sure you are going to say I should stop getting Starbucks once a week and that will solve my financial problems and I'll be able to retire early if I do that 😂

I assume your husband also has an income and you don’t mention children. How much gas does it take to get to and from your at home jobs? 😂 

Just now, 2wheelin said:

I assume your husband also has an income and you don’t mention children. How much gas does it take to get to and from your at home jobs? 😂 

I'm saying that for people who don't have two incomes, 50k/year is not a fortune, esp if you live in the city. And one of the reasons we work from home is because of the high cost and time commitment to commute. When I mean high cost, I mean it was probably 300+ for us to commute to work, not even factoring in the time and hassle.  We both make well over 50k and I can understand why people turn down jobs that don't pay enough for them to have a decent standard of living. And I don't have kids, because I don't want them and certainly it would be difficult at our current salary to support them

• Like 1

I just got off a mediterranean cruise on Odyssey of the Seas.  I found that I did miss the two time daily stateroom cleaning.  If the cabin steward was easily accessible, once daily cleaning would have been fine.  However,  if I needed a clean towel or extra glass, I had no way of getting it. A stateroom attendant was nowhere to be found.  I did call and finally reached someone, but then had to wait an hour for them to bring me distilled water for a cpap machine.  With all of the other cut backs that I've seen, (23 cruises with Royal), I am switching to Celebrity or another line. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 8/19/2023 at 12:11 PM, aubreyc1988 said:

My husband has had a job in the past with security clearance and sometimes money isn't everything. He was miserable doing that type of work, no phone or any electronics, couldn't even have a CD player, very joyless environment. His new job is way better, pays more, AND allows him to have his phone, etc on him. Also, I think our reading comprehension is fine, you just love to do the passive-aggressive insulting. 

There are very legitimate reasons for those rules and if you ever worked in that environment, you would know it.  They've allowed CD players (just players) for years as I had one in my job in a SCIF since about 2000.  And, I know for a fact because for about 10 years I was a personnel security officer.  Sorry your DH had such a joyless job.  DH has had jobs he didn't enjoy as much as others, but the purpose was important.   Most jobs until the advent of cell phones, etc didn't have entertainment for the employees.  Are you telling me someone can't do their job without being entertained?  I've enjoyed all my jobs because it was about my co-workers and teamwork.  My sons also enjoy their co-workers and my DH's officemate has become a good friend.   We all have/had unclassified computer access on our desks with the ability to listen to music, etc.  And, before you say, my agency must have been different.  Nope, my DH has worked for a couple and I know plenty of people who work at other agencies.  They all allow anything that doesn't record, photograph or plug into a computer.  So, no cell phones, cameras, or anything that has a USB connection.  So, no fitbit, apple watches or anything like that.  But, guess what?  People were still happy.  No, money isn't everything but it is the thing people whine about the most.  Having a great workplace (which I did in several different positions) can come with good money.  The two are not mutually exclusive.  As for passive aggressive, just reacting to the ignorance.  And, before you get bent out of shape, please look up the real definition of the word.

Edited by BND

On 8/18/2023 at 2:29 PM, RedIguana said:

Sorry if it came across as me attacking you or your son. It was not meant that way.

I am making assumptions based on my own life (don't we all). I fail to see how that is bad though. I think we start in the low-mid $20 hour range at the lab I am at, the quality of applicants would definitely improve if they increased that to $30 an hour. $25 an hour for help desk and $40 an hour for experienced IT is just not very impressive anymore, especially if you have to undergo the security clearances I think you do. My wife's ex was making over that 15 years ago (had to pass clearances). 

Not a problem.  Those are "starting" salaries as in  right out of high school in some situations.  My 37 year old son makes a lot more than that and will go over 200K in probably the next year.   He also said everyone he's hired in the last year are being paid over 125K and most over 150K.   The clearances don't take much of your time, but they do take someone responsible and honest in order to get them.   Anyone who is any good starting at those salaries quickly get bigger raises and promotions.  In IT, you don't have to have a degree (most don't) and a lot make more than those who do in other positions. 

As for twice a day cabin cleaning, people have to decide for themselves, so, anyone who doesn't like it can take their money elsewhere.    Just like people are free to take whatever job they want.  

1 hour ago, BND said:

There are very legitimate reasons for those rules and if you ever worked in that environment, you would know it.  They've allowed CD players (just players) for years as I had one in my job in a SCIF since about 2000.  And, I know for a fact because for about 10 years I was a personnel security officer.  Sorry your DH had such a joyless job.  DH has had jobs he didn't enjoy as much as others, but the purpose was important.   Most jobs until the advent of cell phones, etc didn't have entertainment for the employees.  Are you telling me someone can't do their job without being entertained?  I've enjoyed all my jobs because it was about my co-workers and teamwork.  My sons also enjoy their co-workers and my DH's officemate has become a good friend.   We all have/had unclassified computer access on our desks with the ability to listen to music, etc.  And, before you say, my agency must have been different.  Nope, my DH has worked for a couple and I know plenty of people who work at other agencies.  They all allow anything that doesn't record, photograph or plug into a computer.  So, no cell phones, cameras, or anything that has a USB connection.  So, no fitbit, apple watches or anything like that.  But, guess what?  People were still happy.  No, money isn't everything but it is the thing people whine about the most.  Having a great workplace (which I did in several different positions) can come with good money.  The two are not mutually exclusive.  As for passive aggressive, just reacting to the ignorance.  And, before you get bent out of shape, please look up the real definition of the word.

Honestly, this response is exactly what I was expecting from you and really proving my comment about how you passive-aggressively insult people. And if I am wrong about that, at the very least you are unkind and not very thoughtful to other people's feelings. Thank you for calling me ignorant AND me and my husband liars. Why would I LIE about my husband not being allowed a CD player? And I never said people couldn't be happy in certain jobs, just that my husband wasn't happy and that is no way to live life. NOR did I say that his past job wasn't important. Being entertained and not being happy are two different things. So now he has a job that is working from home and he IS happy, but people constantly think he's lazy or something because he works from home. 

Anyhow, waste of my time posting here. Have a good day. 

3 hours ago, BND said:

There are very legitimate reasons for those rules and if you ever worked in that environment, you would know it.  They've allowed CD players (just players) for years as I had one in my job in a SCIF since about 2000.  And, I know for a fact because for about 10 years I was a personnel security officer.

I've worked in several SCIFs that most definitely did NOT allow CD players.  Not all SCIFs are created equal.

Just off of Navigator and I was very interested to see how disappointed I was with 1x a day room servicing. My concern was that I was cruising with myself and 3 grand kids in an Ultimate OV cabin.  It is designed for families.  It has a small little room with bunks and my intention was for the girls to be in there and I in the little bedroom and my Grandson on the sofa.  My concern was the sofa.  With one cleaning I was worried the our Cabin Attendant would want it out all day long.  Thankfully, he did one service before lunch and then came back while we were at dinner and set up the sofa bed.  There was no service done to the room in the evening beyond that but at least we weren't tripping over the bed during the day.  

So to answer the question originally asked... I didn't miss the 2x a day service as much I thought I would.  Our attendant loaded us with towels at the morning service so we had fresh towels both that afternoon and in the morning. We got a towel animal everyday except embaraktion

I was pleasantly surprised.  

In the interest of full disclosure... We keep autograts on plus I slipped him $30 on embarkation and then $40 on the last afternoon. This was a 4 day cruise with 4 of us in the cabin.  I'm not sure if the tipping got me any more service or not.

If anyone is interested to see the room makeup I have included the video below.  It was taken on day 2 after the room had been serviced but before the kids had come back to the room.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2