Live from the Regal Princess: British Isles Cruise July 7-19 2023

Barbara B

Day 6

Glasgow, Scotland

Today, we docked (no tendering!!). Gangway was short, also nice. We chilled much of the morning. Breakfast of a lox omelet. Mushroom soup for lunch and a sticky toffee pudding from the Pastry Shop.

This afternoon, we went on a half-day excursion called Easy Scottish Lochs. We visited Loch Lomond, Luss Loch, Ecks Loch, and Holy Loch. It was a spectacular day to be out and up in the mountains. These are NOT the highlands, but still the lowlands of the south. The Highlands are up north where we are going later in the cruise. 

It was a half-day nicely narrated drive along Loch Lomond,,Scotland's second largest freshwater lake.

IMG_1838.thumb.jpeg.cbb43609337985df9c0e757458201e6d.jpeg

IMG_1892.thumb.jpeg.d497df988314c578519bce1efdf0852c.jpeg

We went through the village Luss located on Loch Lomond, stopping for a bit to enjoy. There we experienced a beautiful landscape until we stopped at the Rest and Be Thankful Overlook, which afforded us panorama of the Highland glens and mountains in the distance.

The drive continued until we reached the River Clyde, stopping at every vista for photographs. When we got to Hunters' Quay, the bus drove onto the ferry and back to the ship. 

A piper band greeted us, and in the Piazza the fabulous bagpipe artist impressed with his beautiful piping. IMG_1916.thumb.jpeg.a22a55130860fc031a6b12136e4e2b33.jpeg

Dinner alone, where contemplated when are where we might take our next cruise 🙂

people-watchingWe were pretty tired, so after some people watching it was off to  bed to arise early for out Belfast Excursion on the morrow.

IMG_1811.jpeg

IMG_1890.jpeg

358662642_10230839786968171_1895224593769499544_n.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The wee island in your last photo has to be Ailsa Craig. It’s pretty much made of granite, which is used to make curling stones. You were in one of my favourite bits of Scotland: thank you for the pictures! Rest and Be Thankful has to be one of the best place names 😁

Edited by Justpackingmybags

Day 7

Belfast

The reason we are doing the ports in this order and not belfast, then Glasgow is because of a bank holiday. So, we stopped in Glasgow first and doubled back to Belfast yesterday. in actual fact, Manny take it as a Today holiday, and so traffic was quite light and it was easy to get around by our motorcoach.  

IMG_1920.jpeg.7be3280f255039eca154eb2099cdd8bf.jpeg

Belfast was our first sure excursion to depart early in the morning. We gathered at the very early hours of 830 to get on our bus and heading to Town.

Usually, I eat breakfast at a concerto, but because of being in a bit of a hurry this morning, I grabbed coffee and pastry at the international café in the piazza. We met up in the Princess Theatre, and off we went. I have to say, the motor coaches used very comfortable with huge windows. They were air-conditioned, and if you needed to use one small toilet was available I point this out because in the shore excursion listings on princess, it is specifically mentioned that the buses are not air-conditioned. And there are no toilet facilities on the bus. But there were more less.

We drove along the river, past the great shipyards, including Highland and Wolf with its monstrous cranes. We were able to get a look at the actual tenders used for the Titanic, but did not get out of the bus, which was fine.

IMG_1982.jpeg.2f93497c783f7ac3198ef3c028f99494.jpeg

Our first stop, was Belfast Castle in Caves Hill Park, after passing by Napoleon's Nose, and outcropping on Cave Hill.

IMG_1923.jpeg.9208ff9d0499b3162c62365831384be2.jpeg

We went up and up until we got to the castle. We stopped there for a while, having an opportunity to explore the gardens, the interior of the castle, and find the nine cats, a hallmark of the castle. Napoleon's nose, and its unusual formation is said to have been Jonathan Swift's inspiration for Gulliver's Tavels because the promontory resembles a giant human head on its back — if you look at it from the right direction.

IMG_1933.jpeg.a70b64ab5bd03f6a8f8c3c20a3683f7b.jpeg

IMG_1924.jpeg.f86a67132c025cd6edb98f9ed40834f5.jpeg

IMG_1928.jpeg.db9ff1f92284db59a59dce518c86b2a4.jpeg

We next went into the city I learned something about the struggles between Catholic and Protestant, that even goes on to this day. There are parts of the city we went through where there is a high muraled wall capped with barbed wire, or barbs to prevent one side from crossing to the other. Interestingly, it is both sides of the conflict that desire for separation as explained. By our guide. Many walls in this area are covered with murals, famous for this part of northern Ireland. Messages of hope, a piece, as well as Solidarity adorn the walls. It is called the Peace Wall.

IMG_1939.jpeg.e2079082c56bbe1e13ddf8734fcb6489.jpegIMG_1943.jpeg.3a36489d5d3b15255357dbc7d6ef78b3.jpegIMG_1945.jpeg.79b9312e517ec7ff1e6a47bd2d4f922f.jpeg

In the city center we stopped at the city hall, a beautiful building with courtyard.

IMG_1955.jpeg.49e30f2a4ff194a829a59c25a6d0f165.jpeg

IMG_1958.jpeg.a9eea049ad0d157a4c9bf6235468aa48.jpeg

We then drove past Queen's College and walked around the empty Parliment Building for Northern Ireland. It is empty because there is great disagreement about Brexit within N. Ireland and they refuse to seat the Parliament, so it has sat empty for a couple of years now!!

We rode back towards the Titanic Quarter, passing the Titanic Museum with its five pointed star architecture, with each of the points the same height

as the bow of Titanic. I wish we'd had time to go back and visit the museum, but---another time.

IMG_1983.jpeg.2a0f53550e95c53fb75bdcb7a3e723ec.jpeg

It was an excellent look around the city to get an overview. I liked it far better than the hop-on-hop-off we did in Dublin a couple of days ago.

Dinner at Concerto with many local favorites on the menu.

The evening performance was Italian Illusionist Ottavio Belli. He was quite good. I love magic, and his was not exactly Penn and Teller (whom I adore), but he was entertaining and extremely skilled, if a bit too shticky for my magic taste.

Went to bed watching the endless twilight until I nodded off about midnight.

Tomorrow is a sea day, which is welcome after so many port days in a row. An opportunity to go to some ship board activities, lectures and games.

I realized I could screen cap the menus on the app, so I'll post today's MDR and Sabatini's menus for dinner later today!

IMG_1937.jpeg

IMG_1919.jpeg

IMG_1943.jpeg

IMG_1961.jpeg

IMG_1956.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Justpackingmybags said:

The wee island in your last photo has to be Ailsa Craig. It’s pretty much made of granite, which is used to make curling stones. You were in one of my favourite bits of Scotland: thank you for the pictures! Rest and Be Thankful has to be one of the best place names 😁

Yes, it is! It came out of nowhere as I was sitting on the sofa typing. So cool.

• Like 2

Enjoying your TR so much.

Excursions for our cruise next year opened today so I was thinking about what I had done at each port, and what I WANT us to do at each port next year! 

Looking at what you are doing gives me some ideas as well--THANKS!

Sadly we are not hitting Belfast this time. I snagged a cab who took me to the HOHO bus drop off.

The HOHO bus was FANTASTIC--sounds very similar to your cruise.

Wish I was there!

6 hours ago, pager 11 said:

Excursions? Recommendations? Did you book any independent excursions apart from the ship's choices?

We just got off the cruise last Friday so I will throw my two pence in while the OP is enjoying their cruise!

Our itinerary included Liverpool, there are a couple of different slight variations in ports. But for most of what we did independently the Princess excursions didn't come close to providing what we saw.

In Guernsey we booked a lovely tour through Amanda at Tours of Guernsey.  We got to see the Little Chapel, the German Underground Hospital, German Occupation Museum and many other sites.  I absolutely loved the beauty of Guernsey and hearing about the little known WW2 history was fascinating.

In Liverpool we did a true DIY as we are Beatles fans.  We booked the Magical Mystery tour through the Cavern Club and selected the 11 AM tour time well in advance.  We got off the ship early to walk over to Albert dock and visited the Beatles Story first, a wonderful audio and visual experience through Beatles history.  The check in for the Magical Mystery tour was right next door and it was fantastic seeing Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, the boyhood homes of the Fab Four as well as many other sites.  The tour ticket included entry to the Cavern Club which could be a museum.  We sipped a pint while enjoying great music and then walked back to the ship.

In Dublin we did the green HOHO bus booked through Do Dublin at the port.  Just get off the ship and walk towards the train (signs everywhere).  Just before the train station there will be booths for both the red and green HOHO buses where you can buy your ticket.  Our ticket included round trip train transportation on DART into the city and back.  We hopped off at Dublin Castle, Guinness Storehouse, and Jameson but there is so much to see.

In Belfast we took the Princess shuttle ($15.95 PP) to city hall and then walked back to the Titanic Belfast experience.  Fascinating place!  We had to wait an hour before we could get in because tickets are timed and probably would have gotten them in advance had we known.  We had actually planned to take the HOHO there but later figured we only wanted to hop off at the Titanic museum.

In Inverness we booked a private tour with Nigel at Invergordon Shore Excursions.  This is the tour we took: http://www.shorexcursions.co.uk/loch-ness-tour.htm .  It actually included so much more as it was just our group of 4 and our driver / tour guide Allan was amenable to spending more or less time where we wanted.  Just a fantastic day.

And in Le Havre we booked the tour to Omaha Beach, American Cemetery, Bayeux, and Honfleur with Overlord Tours.  Worthwhile to see all of this.

Our Princess excursions were just OK.  We did a small group tour to Blarney Castle and Kinsale in Cobh, to Glasgow Castle, Kelvingrove Gallery with free time in Glasgow, and a city tour with free time and a visit to Edinburgh Castle in Edinburgh.  You can get to the castle on your own by city bus but they do sell out so if you're planning to DIY just do so well in advance.

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

7 hours ago, pager 11 said:

Excursions? Recommendations? Did you book any independent excursions apart from the ship's choices?

AZBIRDMOM: Thank you for the list of tours and your personal experiences! Cruise ship tours can be very expensive but if someone is not quite sure what they're doing, cruise ship tours are a good option. But if I can save money and book an independent company, I'd rather do that as long as they're listed in Trip Advisor as a reputable company.

• Like 2

We have certainly used a lot of private tours in our years of cruising.  This cruise we are only on two private tours, two days 'on our own' and the rest with Princess.  For us this time we are just looking forward to everything being taken care of and relaxing, especially knowing we'll get back to the ship on time! There is no right or wrong, we are all different but you can't beat a great cruise!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, pager 11 said:

We have an excursion in LeHavre that is a private tour with six other folks we met on CC. More about that when we we get closer in a couple of days. My sad news of the day: We had an excursion booked early this morning for Bannockburn and Stirling Castle to explore Scottish History and the English-Scottish wars. Unfortunately, Last night I started to feel a cold coming on, so this morning I sent my husband off since I was feeling a bit queasy from the congestion and a tender to the port would not sit well. To be safe I had a COVID test just now and it's negative (fortunately!). Paramedic came by my cabin, did the test and asked if I wanted to see the doctor. It's a cold, so...no. Still working out whether we can get the shorex refunded. If I went to see the doctor, it would be a medical reason and instant refund, but the doctor visit could be as much as the cruise--so resting up today while my DH goes on the tour. The view from my balcony, however, is quite spectacular. 

I'll write up yesterday later today. If I feel better, I'll tender over and explore South Queensferry at least and do some shopping.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barbara B said:

We have an excursion in LeHavre that is a private tour with six other folks we met on CC. More about that when we we get closer in a couple of days. My sad news of the day: We had an excursion booked early this morning for Bannockburn and Stirling Castle to explore Scottish History and the English-Scottish wars. Unfortunately, Last night I started to feel a cold coming on, so this morning I sent my husband off since I was feeling a bit queasy from the congestion and a tender to the port would not sit well. To be safe I had a COVID test just now and it's negative (fortunately!). Paramedic came by my cabin, did the test and asked if I wanted to see the doctor. It's a cold, so...no. Still working out whether we can get the shorex refunded. If I went to see the doctor, it would be a medical reason and instant refund, but the doctor visit could be as much as the cruise--so resting up today while my DH goes on the tour. The view from my balcony, however, is quite spectacular. 

I'll write up yesterday later today. If I feel better, I'll tender over and explore South Queensferry at least and do some shopping.

2 hours ago, Barbara B said:

So sorry Barbara. I agree about not seeing the doc for a cold. I've read how expensive those visits can be! You take care & update us. ♡

7 hours ago, Barbara B said:

So sorry that you are feeling ill.  But I will thank you for being proactive and considerate in calling for a test.  There were so many people on the cruise before your's who were going about their business while visibly ill as our cruise went on.  We felt our first symptoms on the plane over the Atlantic on the way home and the following morning both of us tested positive for the first time.  This came on quickly - one minute fine and the next we were really sick.  I'm hoping it stays a cold for your sake although I'm sure you are still quite miserable. Feel better soon!

• Like 1

Hi! Does anyone know if the Medallion app has some type of messaging between passengers? We are 6 people traveling in 3 staterooms (parents and 4 kids). I was wondering if the internet wouldn’t be necessary in order to communicate onboard. We have sim cards for UK (3three) and I’m also wondering if anyone knows wether they work while onboard if the cellphone signal still reaches the ship or not. Thank you!

58 minutes ago, Fito said:

Hi! Does anyone know if the Medallion app has some type of messaging between passengers? We are 6 people traveling in 3 staterooms (parents and 4 kids). I was wondering if the internet wouldn’t be necessary in order to communicate onboard. We have sim cards for UK (3three) and I’m also wondering if anyone knows wether they work while onboard if the cellphone signal still reaches the ship or not. Thank you!

I've never tried to use medallion to communicate with my family on board. Usually we have enough wifi that we each had one working device and could use that to communicate. If you use your cell phone on the ship you risk being charged for using the ships very expensive cell service. Be very careful that you are close enough to shore to not be charged for the ship cell signal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fito said:

It does have a chat feature where you can message anyone in your traveling party.  However there is no notification so you just need to periodically go into the app to see if there are any chats.  DH and I learned that the hard way.  What we do with each other and with friends is to use FB Messenger.  That will at least provide notification so you'll get the message so much quicker.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2023 at 12:32 PM, azbirdmom said:

We just got off the cruise last Friday so I will throw my two pence in while the OP is enjoying their cruise!

Our itinerary included Liverpool, there are a couple of different slight variations in ports. But for most of what we did independently the Princess excursions didn't come close to providing what we saw.

In Guernsey we booked a lovely tour through Amanda at Tours of Guernsey.  We got to see the Little Chapel, the German Underground Hospital, German Occupation Museum and many other sites.  I absolutely loved the beauty of Guernsey and hearing about the little known WW2 history was fascinating.

In Liverpool we did a true DIY as we are Beatles fans.  We booked the Magical Mystery tour through the Cavern Club and selected the 11 AM tour time well in advance.  We got off the ship early to walk over to Albert dock and visited the Beatles Story first, a wonderful audio and visual experience through Beatles history.  The check in for the Magical Mystery tour was right next door and it was fantastic seeing Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields, the boyhood homes of the Fab Four as well as many other sites.  The tour ticket included entry to the Cavern Club which could be a museum.  We sipped a pint while enjoying great music and then walked back to the ship.

In Dublin we did the green HOHO bus booked through Do Dublin at the port.  Just get off the ship and walk towards the train (signs everywhere).  Just before the train station there will be booths for both the red and green HOHO buses where you can buy your ticket.  Our ticket included round trip train transportation on DART into the city and back.  We hopped off at Dublin Castle, Guinness Storehouse, and Jameson but there is so much to see.

In Belfast we took the Princess shuttle ($15.95 PP) to city hall and then walked back to the Titanic Belfast experience.  Fascinating place!  We had to wait an hour before we could get in because tickets are timed and probably would have gotten them in advance had we known.  We had actually planned to take the HOHO there but later figured we only wanted to hop off at the Titanic museum.

In Inverness we booked a private tour with Nigel at Invergordon Shore Excursions.  This is the tour we took: http://www.shorexcursions.co.uk/loch-ness-tour.htm .  It actually included so much more as it was just our group of 4 and our driver / tour guide Allan was amenable to spending more or less time where we wanted.  Just a fantastic day.

And in Le Havre we booked the tour to Omaha Beach, American Cemetery, Bayeux, and Honfleur with Overlord Tours.  Worthwhile to see all of this.

Our Princess excursions were just OK.  We did a small group tour to Blarney Castle and Kinsale in Cobh, to Glasgow Castle, Kelvingrove Gallery with free time in Glasgow, and a city tour with free time and a visit to Edinburgh Castle in Edinburgh.  You can get to the castle on your own by city bus but they do sell out so if you're planning to DIY just do so well in advance.

Thank you for this. We are on this cruise next June and have no idea about what shore ex we would enjoy. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Barbara B said:

You can submit the visit to your travel insurance

2 hours ago, kaiiak said:

Thank you for this. We are on this cruise next June and have no idea about what shore ex we would enjoy. 

There really is so much to see that it's hard to go wrong with your choices.  I'm already thinking about what we would do when we go back 🙂 .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kaiiak said:

We're on the June 8 cruise. Which one are you on?

17 hours ago, Barbara B said:

Barbara, do hope you are feeling better soon. You can catch us up once you return. Focus on your well being 😊 

7 hours ago, Fito said:

3 SIM cards are a good choice..when you’re out in open water, there is no LTE signal..but on land, all over the UK, our LTE was great (we used the “Orange Holiday Zen 8GB package…Orange bought 3 I think)