Oh ship! It's my birthday!! A Summit Birthday Cruise LIVE Review!! 7/16-23 sailing!

14 minutes ago, SSFrance69 said:

Just out of curiosity, are you able to post and upload these photos using the wifi that comes with the Aqua stateroom package, or did you have to upgrade to the premium wifi? 

I upgraded before I got on board using some OBC and my Captain’s Club discount. I don’t know if I could have on regular or not. Sorry!

• Thanks 1

Sounds like you're booked up with excursions, but just wanted to mention that - if not for this time then maybe another - I give my highest recommendations for doing a full island tour with Heidi Cowen at Bermuda Byways tours. https://www.gotobermuda.com/profile/bermuda-byways-tours/597  Starts and ends in the Dockyard. She does it all herself...it's not like it's even a family company with several employees. Just her. Funny story...one of our group asked her how many days a week she does tours, and the reply..."eight". LOL 

We had never been to Bermuda before our recent May cruise on the Summit, and so we wanted to see the island. We're not much for beach excursions anyway, so it was a great way to fill our day there. Tour is 6 hours. As a result, however, never even got in the water - which I would have at least enjoyed for a bit. Our itinerary was only overnight whereas I believe you have 2. Next time I go I'll try to at least get in the water.

Heidi grew up in Gibbs Hill lighthouse on the island and so is very interesting and educational. I believe her grandfather was the last "keeper of the light". She travels with her blind dog - it just sits there very well behaved next to her. With Heidi's very comfortable van, she takes no more than 10 people on a tour - so it was very nice in that regard - so much better than a bus full of 40 people. A highlight is that it included lunch. We had a local delicacy - fried fish sandwich on raisin toast with tartar sauce. Sandwiches were huge and delicious!

You have more than enough to do there, but just thought I'd mention this. Have a fun day in Bermuda!

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Sounds like you're booked up with excursions, but just wanted to mention that - if not for this time then maybe another - I give my highest recommendations for doing a full island tour with Heidi Cowen at Bermuda Byways tours. https://www.gotobermuda.com/profile/bermuda-byways-tours/597  Starts and ends in the Dockyard. She does it all herself...it's not like it's even a family company with several employees. Just her. Funny story...one of our group asked her how many days a week she does tours, and the reply..."eight". LOL 

We had never been to Bermuda before our recent May cruise on the Summit, and so we wanted to see the island. We're not much for beach excursions anyway, so it was a great way to fill our day there. Tour is 6 hours. As a result, however, never even got in the water - which I would have at least enjoyed for a bit. Our itinerary was only overnight whereas I believe you have 2. Next time I go I'll try to at least get in the water.

Heidi grew up in Gibbs Hill lighthouse on the island and so is very interesting and educational. I believe her grandfather was the last "keeper of the light". She travels with her blind dog - it just sits there very well behaved next to her. With Heidi's very comfortable van, she takes no more than 10 people on a tour - so it was very nice in that regard - so much better than a bus full of 40 people. A highlight is that it included lunch. We had a local delicacy - fried fish sandwich on raisin toast with tartar sauce. Sandwiches were huge and delicious!

You have more than enough to do there, but just thought I'd mention this. Have a fun day in Bermuda!

I was gonna ask about her dog Buddy. Glad to know she is still traveling with her. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Good morning as we are pulling into Bermuda!

IMG_5928.thumb.jpeg.40e42b44a6c31477dfd31826c328bb83.jpeg

Last night was a good dinner - French onion soup, Caesar salad, Ribeye, and the yummy cinnamon rice pudding again!

IMG_5912.thumb.jpeg.135dbbbd9bd2dc57646a85186aaeb6e8.jpeg

IMG_5913.thumb.jpeg.477eb25e143fbdbf487cfa01389831a2.jpegIMG_5915.thumb.jpeg.9bf9d54463a9d441b0ef43ee5258f449.jpeg

(I forgot to take a pic of the salad and almost forgot the ribeye - oops!!)

They also brought tapioca pudding…my uncle told me once he called it “fish eyes and glue” and honestly he was not lying. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

IMG_5914.thumb.jpeg.5014e38676e1776e7b0b39577573de3d.jpeg

I tried a bite, but it’s not my jam.

The evening’s martinis were the rose martini (it was ok…not my fave)

IMG_5922.thumb.jpeg.d01bbb1f3e91b6043b0322555a54c0fa.jpeg

And the Key Lime Pie which was YUM!!

IMG_5923.thumb.jpeg.0c8f3a52e4eaa63d57ac914b5a3fbfc1.jpeg

(Putu pictured in the background!)

And you can take the girl off Disney, but you can’t take the Disney out of the girl. My contribution to the ice art. 

IMG_5924.thumb.jpeg.fe80032a31ba27970d61f4944aa8e08c.jpeg

3 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Good morning as we are pulling into Bermuda!

IMG_5928.thumb.jpeg.40e42b44a6c31477dfd31826c328bb83.jpeg

Last night was a good dinner - French onion soup, Caesar salad, Ribeye, and the yummy cinnamon rice pudding again!

IMG_5912.thumb.jpeg.135dbbbd9bd2dc57646a85186aaeb6e8.jpeg

IMG_5913.thumb.jpeg.477eb25e143fbdbf487cfa01389831a2.jpegIMG_5915.thumb.jpeg.9bf9d54463a9d441b0ef43ee5258f449.jpeg

(I forgot to take a pic of the salad and almost forgot the ribeye - oops!!)

They also brought tapioca pudding…my uncle told me once he called it “fish eyes and glue” and honestly he was not lying. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

IMG_5914.thumb.jpeg.5014e38676e1776e7b0b39577573de3d.jpeg

I tried a bite, but it’s not my jam.

The evening’s martinis were the rose martini (it was ok…not my fave)

IMG_5922.thumb.jpeg.d01bbb1f3e91b6043b0322555a54c0fa.jpeg

And the Key Lime Pie which was YUM!!

IMG_5923.thumb.jpeg.0c8f3a52e4eaa63d57ac914b5a3fbfc1.jpeg

(Putu pictured in the background!)

And you can take the girl off Disney, but you can’t take the Disney out of the girl. My contribution to the ice art. 

IMG_5924.thumb.jpeg.fe80032a31ba27970d61f4944aa8e08c.jpeg

Glad to hear you tried and enjoyed the key lime martini.

Laura

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I know I have not seen Vikas. Nandha might be here and the one who has served me so far - I will look closer tonight but I thought the tag said Reagan last night. The other sommelier is a woman but she is usually on the other side of Blu.

Also wondering who your waiter is. I know they usually try to sit you with the same one.  We had Irwan and Fika taking care of us. Loved them, but the whole staff is great!

Enjoy your first day in Bermuda!

P5140308.JPG

Fika.jpg

• Like 2

Having just left the Summit on the day you boarded, I'm reading this thread with much jealousy! 🙂

I'm surprised to see the shows on your 1st two nights appear to be different than last week.  I didn't know they switched them up that often.

I was also in Blu and Reagan was excellent!  He seemed to really enjoy concocting different fruity non-alcoholic drinks for my teenagers.  And he was able to conjur up some tasty beers for me that I didn't know were onboard (ex. Paulaner Salvator).

Enjoy your time!  We absolutely loved the ship, crew, and Bermuda.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Yep! Buddy appears to be doing well. So you've traveled with Heidi already?

Yes a few years ago. We really enjoyed her tour. We cruise to Bermuda every year when we can.

Laura

• Like 2

On 7/16/2023 at 4:20 PM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

The ABCs on the Beyond on July 27!! Also took advantage of that one having the sweet low solo supplement on Sunset Verandas (and some others) so I got a Sunset for less than a solo IV!!!

Thank you for your ongoing review and great information!

That’s a great deal for a solo cabin, and sunset verandah to boot! Was there a special advertised for the solo cabin special? Or is it something you found by checking sailings?

TIA! Continue enjoying your trip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laurab23 said:

We cruise to Bermuda every year

This was our first time...one of those cruises that was supposed to take place 3 years ago, but, of course, postponed / rescheduled. Like many experiences here. Thankfully we're done (I hope) with all of those rescheduled cruises due to covid delays and cancellations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

This was our first time...one of those cruises that was supposed to take place 3 years ago, but, of course, postponed / rescheduled. Like many experiences here. Thankfully we're done (I hope) with all of those rescheduled cruises due to covid delays and cancellations.

Glad you finally made it to Bermuda. Yes,we had a few cancelled.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2023 at 11:44 AM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

On board!! Stuff dropped in my cabin (1141)

IMG_5832.thumb.jpeg.e40177642cb7aa933dc59af7f4f9415a.jpeg

And my first drink of the cruise is…

IMG_5835.thumb.jpeg.c88ac1cd88ecf98e3c87dc3d85d7c83c.jpeg

A Teremana Greyhound!

Skies are looking super ominous! 

Hello there.  Wondering what a Teremana Greyhound is?  Don't recall ever seeing that drink listed before??  Given the name, I am really hoping that it has Grey Goose in it lol.

Thoroughly enjoying your review.   And I would like to add to other's comments and express my appreciation for the valuable work you do!  My son has special needs and there certainly are some pretty fantastic EA's out there!!  Thank you!!

Continue to have a wonderful Happy Birthday cruise😃

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Heidi is also a fabulous artist! She is one of the artists in artists co-op very close to where you'll be docked. Last month, I purchased several of her works. Absolutely make the time to check it out (and to meet her cats!)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cosmo1027 said:

Thank you for your ongoing review and great information!

That’s a great deal for a solo cabin, and sunset verandah to boot! Was there a special advertised for the solo cabin special? Or is it something you found by checking sailings?

TIA! Continue enjoying your trip.

Someone on the boards here posted about specials for solos on the Beyond for some of the summer sailings. Mainly the Sunset Verandas - but Concierge and Prime IV s were available as well. I would have loved to be over my birthday next year, but that was the one not included.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Reel Love said:

Hello there.  Wondering what a Teremana Greyhound is?  Don't recall ever seeing that drink listed before??  Given the name, I am really hoping that it has Grey Goose in it lol.

Thoroughly enjoying your review.   And I would like to add to other's comments and express my appreciation for the valuable work you do!  My son has special needs and there certainly are some pretty fantastic EA's out there!!  Thank you!!

Continue to have a wonderful Happy Birthday cruise😃

It’s Teramana tequila, Cointreau, and Ruby Red grapefruit juice. Yummy!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

It’s Teramana tequila, Cointreau, and Ruby Red grapefruit juice. Yummy!!

Ask for them to substitute Grand  Marnier for the Cointreau. 

Grand Marnier added in a Mimosa also steps it up a notch.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 3