Oh ship! It's my birthday!! A Summit Birthday Cruise LIVE Review!! 7/16-23 sailing!

13 hours ago, IWillGoAnywhere26 said:

So excited to follow along as you sail the Summit, our favorite ship. We have sailed on her at least a dozen times, most recently April 26th to May 15th, also in Aqua class.  The crew makes her extra special and the staff in Blu will spoil you as they make you feel extra special. I must admit, I'm a little jealous.

I taught for 35 years, 20 of them as a special education teacher. 

Love the lavendar lemondrop marrtini, too, but it sounds like you got some wonderful suggestions that I will be adding to my list. All the bartenders are great but make sure to connect with Putu. We've sailed with him numerous times. Amazing how much he's mentioned on social media. I always tell him he's famous.  Tell him Mary and David Boyd say hello if you get the chance. 

Here's a picture of Putu on Cinco de Mayo

Mary Ann

P5050112.JPG

Thanks!!

Yes!! They are spoiling me rotten in Blu!! I was commenting to my TA today that it is really going to be a toss-up for my Beyond cruise next year between the sunset veranda OR bumping to Aqua. I don’t mind the IV cabins, so that makes it even more challenging a decision!!

Will definitely tell Putu hello for you!!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

It is not on the menu but bartenders know how to make it. Especially Putu. He made me a few every night. There is also a key lime pie martini which is good. They know how to make a lot of martinis not on the menu.

Laura

I had the raspberry lemonade one last night! Putu says hi!

IMG_5888.jpeg

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Thanks!!

Yes!! They are spoiling me rotten in Blu!! I was commenting to my TA today that it is really going to be a toss-up for my Beyond cruise next year between the sunset veranda OR bumping to Aqua. I don’t mind the IV cabins, so that makes it even more challenging a decision!!

Subliminal message:  SV, SV, SV……..😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Good morning!!

So sorry I did not update last night! I got busy.

Dinner was fab! They are spoiling me rotten in Blu!

IMG_5879.thumb.jpeg.e2ce7a1401397dddc679a9df2e6c5a0c.jpeg

Caprese Salad

IMG_5880.thumb.jpeg.0aae2bd8170783b7f56c4cf02fb3bb90.jpeg

Baby Spinach Salad

IMG_5881.thumb.jpeg.a8bbd8563526bd5039df981109cebd8f.jpeg

Filet Mignon

IMG_5882.thumb.jpeg.a23f457187f992aeded51559095c9804.jpeg

Then for dessert I ordered the cold strawberry soup with pana cotta - and they brought my a delicious cinnamon rice pudding!

IMG_5886.thumb.jpeg.85a633b9f28a57cf7ea0dc55a087199c.jpeg

IMG_5887.thumb.jpeg.5e3c5fbda934f2991d9f31ad92eac477.jpeg

I visited the Sky Lounge before the show and got my star sign drink - a Cancer.

IMG_5892.thumb.jpeg.46f9a2a734837e5f7e969ad750412954.jpeg

I joked that the Sky Lounge is probably the only place where “I would like a Cancer please” is an appropriate request! 🤣🤣

The show last night was awesome - Divas 3!

IMG_5893.thumb.jpeg.7053cb507fef5afda2485b0b3268f77a.jpeg

I ended up sitting with a couple of guys I met at the first night LGBTQIA+ gathering and then we all went to the Sky Lounge for the Motown thing the production team did. I tried the Aquarius (one of my signs - 2 of mine are Cancer and the third is Aquarius. I don’t really understand them - obviously since I don’t even know their names. 🤣🤣) which was good too. It was too dark for a picture though.

So far it looks like a great sea day - still some waves, but sunny! 

• Like 7

13 hours ago, kittyraptors said:

Hi!! I have loved following along with your live report, thank you so much for sharing! 

In a month I am going on my first celebrity cruise after cruising with Disney for years. I love your Disney shirt! I have a few Disney things that I typically take on my cruises, the biggest one being my Loungefly bag. I would absolutely love to bring my bag with me. If I can ask - do you feel out of place with your Disney stuff at all? I have really bad anxiety so sometimes I worry about not fitting in with the crowd around me. I know it's a different crowd on Celebrity. 

Hope you are having great time!

kr not to worry about fitting in aboard any X sailing, especially if you make it back home and had a great time!!! LOL

I think after a few days of wearing Disney, you may get some X paraphernalia and make that you new "go to" cruise wear!!! LOL

Enjoy your sailings regardless...

bon voyage

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Thanks!!

We have sailed on the Beyond 3 times and my advise to you is to stay in the Sunset Veranda and use the savings from Aqua to book the amazing specialty restaurants on Beyond. Le Voyage and Eden in particular are spectacular. The Blu experience on Beyond is not as intimate as Summit. Plus you will get the infamous Infinite Verander instead of a traditional balcony. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CruisinBanka said:

We have sailed on the Beyond 3 times and my advise to you is to stay in the Sunset Veranda and use the savings from Aqua to book the amazing specialty restaurants on Beyond. Le Voyage and Eden in particular are spectacular. The Blu experience on Beyond is not as intimate as Summit. Plus you will get the infamous Infinite Verander instead of a traditional balcony. 

Thanks! I actually don’t mind the infinite veranda cabins.

But the price difference between them - ESPECIALLY with the special deal for solos on the SV - is over $3K!!! (I just looked.) THAT I mind!! 🤣🤣

I did Eden on Edge and will likely do it on Beyond. Le Voyage looks to fancy for me - I’m not a fancy girl.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

My hat is off to you special ed people for sure, as someone already mentioned! I taught for 33.5 years (went out early with slightly reduced penalty) and did elementary band in our local public school system.

My Aunt supervised a two county Special Ed program for 30 years before retiring from teaching.  What did she do after teaching?  She went to law school at 56 and practiced law until she passed away at 89 last summer.  

• Like 6

15 hours ago, IWillGoAnywhere26 said:

Starting children on instruments seems like a daunting task.

Thanks!  Mutual admiration society going here LOL   As to starting beginners, yeah, you have to learn to deal with (sort of 'tune out') the squeaks and squawks and look past that to what it'll (hopefully) sound like later. Those teachers that can't simply will not survive this gig or else go crazy trying to do so. The kids that realize it's going to take some work and don't want to deal with that rather quickly weed themselves out of the program.

I never really did Holiday concerts with beginners. Only seeing them once a week for 15-25 minutes (varied over the years) doesn't get them ready to do all that much by December. Just my take on it though. I only organized my beginner bands after Christmas break, and so the beginner bands then got to play in the spring concert.

15 hours ago, IWillGoAnywhere26 said:

the fact that my husband is a music teacher!

Vocal or instrumental?  In many cases...probably a little (or alot) of both! I started with grades 4-5-6 but then lost my 6th graders when we built a Middle school. That was a big adjustment but the 5th graders rose to the occasion and after a bit I got used to just working with 4th and 5th and finished my career that way. Itinerants are a different breed since they hop all over the district. I actually enjoyed that part of it cause always got to socialize and work with many different staff members and students. Our district is very rural so had some enjoyable drives between schools as well.

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

Thanks!  Mutual admiration society going here LOL   As to starting beginners, yeah, you have to learn to deal with (sort of 'tune out') the squeaks and squawks and look past that to what it'll (hopefully) sound like later. Those teachers that can't simply will not survive this gig or else go crazy trying to do so. The kids that realize it's going to take some work and don't want to deal with that rather quickly weed themselves out of the program.

I never really did Holiday concerts with beginners. Only seeing them once a week for 15-25 minutes (varied over the years) doesn't get them ready to do all that much by December. Just my take on it though. I only organized my beginner bands after Christmas break, and so the beginner bands then got to play in the spring concert.

Vocal or instrumental?  In many cases...probably a little (or alot) of both! I started with grades 4-5-6 but then lost my 6th graders when we built a Middle school. That was a big adjustment but the 5th graders rose to the occasion and after a bit I got used to just working with 4th and 5th and finished my career that way. Itinerants are a different breed since they hop all over the district. I actually enjoyed that part of it cause always got to socialize and work with many different staff members and students. Our district is very rural so had some enjoyable drives between schools as well.

My husband taught middle school general music for about half his career. He did start 4th graders on instruments for 2 years, though, and thus conducted an elementary band of 4th, 5th, and 6th graders. He fondly remembers a group of 4th grade girls he started on the saxaphone. They were so excited and wanted to play all the time.  So he would use his lunch hour to give them extra playing time.

For the other half of his career he worked as a school psychologist. One day he got a call from one of those little girls, asking if he would mentor her as she pursued her degree in school psychology. She worked as his intern for a year.  It was one of the highlights of his career. A career in education has so many challenges but a multitude of rewards. WE both felt very fortunate in our careers.

We live in Bucks County. Where are you from in PA?

• Like 1

Hi Beth.  I am really enjoying your report so far.  I have sailed on Summit twice.  Aren't the aft aqua staterooms fabulous?  My husband and I will be returning to Summit again later this year.  I am loving all of the drink recommendations from everyone as well as the shout-outs to the many stellar crew members. 

If you happen to be passing by the shops, would mind inquiring about which iPad models are currently in stock on board and maybe a couple prices?  I don't need the latest and greatest, but I should really try to replace the now-ancient model I am currently using which I selected onboard a Celebrity ship back in 2016. 

Isn't it great not have to get on an airplane to go on a cruise?  Enjoy the rest of cruise.  Paul

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IWillGoAnywhere26 said:

So he would use his lunch hour to give them extra playing time.

That speaks volumes! Yeah, I've given up more lunches than I can count due mostly to running overtime with lessons (that started and / or ran late...domino effect) and so taught right through lunch. Before the days of schoolwide intercoms, I'd have to hustle through the school (big old 3-story affair built in the 50s) so by the time I get to the kid's room, half the scheduled lesson time was over! OR....it got even worse when the kids started switching for certain classes. Get to the homeroom and find that he/she is in a different room for social studies, etc. Oh my....it really got tiring chasing after kids. Then there was the classic "I forgot my instrument"....I must have literally heard that thousands of times. It got weirder with the dissolution of the nuclear family over the years. "My flute is at my Mom's boyfriend's house"...or vice versa. Finally, near the end I was really having trouble remembering kids'  names! It got to be embarrassing being corrected by 10 year olds. Knew it was time to go, along with "issues" with the superintendent, who really didn't like me at all. Water over the dam....

Where are you from in PA?

Berks...so we're (sorta) neighbors. Farm country here...till they start filling it up with solar panels. LONG story on that one. My township is in the midst of a fight against one that wants to take up over 400 acres of class 1 and 2 farm land. Then again, farmer's right to do as he pleases with his acreage. I can see both sides of that coin.

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 2

For the other half of his career he worked as a school psychologist.

Wow! Well that's a totally different gig! 

One day he got a call from one of those little girls, asking if he would mentor her as she pursued her degree in school psychology. She worked as his intern for a year.  It was one of the highlights of his career.

Great stuff! That's a nice story. Those are the types of memories that we look back on that made it all worth it. I guess enough school talk...we're hijacking someone's cruise thread here. 😳

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Absolutely!!!  I only have a 2 - 2.5 hour drive for either Bayonne or Baltimore.

It is always nice to have options.

Less than 2 hours to Port Everglades.

Just over 2 to ports in Miami and Tampa.

3.5 to Port Canaveral.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Wow! Well that's a totally different gig! 

Great stuff! That's a nice story. Those are the types of memories that we look back on that made it all worth it. I guess enough school talk...we're hijacking someone's cruise thread here. 😳

I was a student for a long long time.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, IWillGoAnywhere26 said:

Okay, back to the Summit! Wondering if these 2 guys are onboard now. Nandha was our sommelier in October 2022. Viskas served us in May. I'm thinking Viskas may have gone home. Both took such good care of us. Loved our chats!

PA260585.JPG

Vikas.jpg

I know I have not seen Vikas. Nandha might be here and the one who has served me so far - I will look closer tonight but I thought the tag said Reagan last night. The other somolier is a woman but she is usually on the other side of Blu.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

Hi Beth.  I am really enjoying your report so far.  I have sailed on Summit twice.  Aren't the aft aqua staterooms fabulous?  My husband and I will be returning to Summit again later this year.  I am loving all of the drink recommendations from everyone as well as the shout-outs to the many stellar crew members. 

If you happen to be passing by the shops, would mind inquiring about which iPad models are currently in stock on board and maybe a couple prices?  I don't need the latest and greatest, but I should really try to replace the now-ancient model I am currently using which I selected onboard a Celebrity ship back in 2016. 

Isn't it great not have to get on an airplane to go on a cruise?  Enjoy the rest of cruise.  Paul

Yes, I am LOVING the aft-facing room!!

I’ll check…when we leave Bermuda since the shops are closed for 2 1/2 days while we are docked.

When they open, I’m buying myself a birthday present - a Marvel x Invicta Captain Marvel watch!! I priced it last night and just had to wait to see if a refund I was expecting from elsewhere hit (which it did today!!). I asked about the price and the guy said “We have another here…” and I said “That one’s Captain America - it’s his shield!” And the girl cracked up and said “Oh, she knows her Marvel.” 🤣🤣

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good morning as we are pulling into Bermuda!

IMG_5928.thumb.jpeg.40e42b44a6c31477dfd31826c328bb83.jpeg

Last night was a good dinner - French onion soup, Caesar salad, Ribeye, and the yummy cinnamon rice pudding again!

IMG_5912.thumb.jpeg.135dbbbd9bd2dc57646a85186aaeb6e8.jpeg

IMG_5913.thumb.jpeg.477eb25e143fbdbf487cfa01389831a2.jpegIMG_5915.thumb.jpeg.9bf9d54463a9d441b0ef43ee5258f449.jpeg

(I forgot to take a pic of the salad and almost forgot the ribeye - oops!!)

They also brought tapioca pudding…my uncle told me once he called it “fish eyes and glue” and honestly he was not lying. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

IMG_5914.thumb.jpeg.5014e38676e1776e7b0b39577573de3d.jpeg

I tried a bite, but it’s not my jam.

The evening’s martinis were the rose martini (it was ok…not my fave)

IMG_5922.thumb.jpeg.d01bbb1f3e91b6043b0322555a54c0fa.jpeg

And the Key Lime Pie which was YUM!!

IMG_5923.thumb.jpeg.0c8f3a52e4eaa63d57ac914b5a3fbfc1.jpeg

(Putu pictured in the background!)

And you can take the girl off Disney, but you can’t take the Disney out of the girl. My contribution to the ice art. 

IMG_5924.thumb.jpeg.fe80032a31ba27970d61f4944aa8e08c.jpeg

• Like 11