Dining reservations questions

dave.s

I'll be on Celebrity Reflection in December and have a few questions about dining reservations. I've been on Celebrity cruises before and have been able to make dining reservations online and in the app, but I'm having a bit of trouble figuring it out this time. I know that I can make reservations once I'm on board, but I'd rather do it ahead of time.

First question: what's the trick to making a specialty dining reservation on the website? I don't see any option to do that under either Cruise Planner or Manage Reservation. If I go to the web page for the particular restaurant and click the Make Reservation link there, it just takes me back to Cruise Planner.

Second question: I can make a specialty dining reservation using the Celebrity app on my phone, but it doesn't reflect the fact that I previously purchased a specialty dining package and it wants to charge my credit card. What's the trick?

Final question: I usually make reservations for the Main Dining Room, but is this really necessary on Reflection? I've done other cruises on different lines without making MDR reservations and never had to wait long, even at 7pm.

Are you sailing on a holiday cruise? If so, specialty dining reservations won't be open/available until about 3 months in advance.

Our experience has been that we can't make specialty dining reservations in advance after we've purchased the package - so we make the actual reservations when we get on the ship.

Can't help with the MDR question ... 

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

If you have a package, you cannot make reservations ahead of time.

So if you purchase a package prior to sailing, you can't make a specific res until you board, correct?

If that's the case, then you might have to settle for what you can get as far as venue, date and time...would that be correct understanding?

It may not be an issue at all after boarding but wanted to ask. We would be on the Beyond. TIA. Enjoy.

2 minutes ago, cruisinlawn said:

So if you purchase a package prior to sailing, you can't make a specific res until you board, correct?

If that's the case, then you might have to settle for what you can get as far as venue, date and time...would that be correct understanding?

It may not be an issue at all after boarding but wanted to ask. We would be on the Beyond. TIA. Enjoy.

If you want to eat at a particular day and time, you should make a reservation months in advance.  The Beyond had very limited availability once onboard.  The days and times available  were not our preference.  Yes, you will have to settle on what is left. 

With the package you can only book once on the ship.  On the E class unless you are on a long cruise  12+ nights Eden can be difficult to get into unless you are willing to eat late, 9 or  9:30.  Fine Cut can also be heavily booked but we got in at 9 which is ok for us. 
We had no difficulty booking LPC & Roof Top Grill but had to be flexible with the day. 

We booked LeVoyage ahead or time as we knew it would sell out. 

1 hour ago, keesar said:

If you want to eat at a particular day and time, you should make a reservation months in advance.  The Beyond had very limited availability once onboard.  The days and times available  were not our preference.  Yes, you will have to settle on what is left. 

Thank you for the info. We'll make res prior and forego any money savings with a dining pkg...if there even is any savings. Thanks again!!  Enjoy 

On 7/11/2023 at 2:09 PM, dave.s said:

what's the trick to making a specialty dining reservation on the website? I don't see any option to do that under either Cruise Planner or Manage Reservation. If I go to the web page for the particular restaurant and click the Make Reservation link there, it just takes me back to Cruise Planner.

I'm sailing on Reflection on Dec. 3 — 9. I was able to make reservations for Murano with a 30% first night discount via the Cruise Planner section of the website. I was also able to make a reservation in the MDR on the second night. ( I have select anytime dining)  I also purchased the Specialty Dining Trio ( two dinners and one lunch) and has been pointed out in this thread you must wait to book a specific time and date until you board the ship.  Since I usually eat late, 8:30 pm or 9:00 pm that's not a problem for me since those times are usually available.  If however you must eat at a specific time for health or other reasons you should skip a multi-night package and book individual reservations.

9 minutes ago, dreamer321 said:

I'm sailing on Reflection on Dec. 3 — 9. I was able to make reservations for Murano with a 30% first night discount via the Cruise Planner section of the website. I was also able to make a reservation in the MDR on the second night. ( I have select anytime dining)  I also purchased the Specialty Dining Trio ( two dinners and one lunch) and has been pointed out in this thread you must wait to book a specific time and date until you board the ship.  Since I usually eat late, 8:30 pm or 9:00 pm that's not a problem for me since those times are usually available.  If however you must eat at a specific time for health or other reasons you should skip a multi-night package and book individual reservations.

I initially looked at booking Tuscan Grille using the first night discount, but they only had late seating times so I passed. If I can't make my specialty dining reservations until I'm on the ship, I won't be able to make MDR reservations ahead of time either, so I hope I won't need reservations there.

I’m not sure if this would still work, but years ago I booked a specialty dining package and then separately booked (and pre-paid) specialty reservations for the times I wanted. When I got in the ship I went to the specialty restaurant and they were able to cancel and refund my pre-booked reservations and rebook me under the package for the times I had just cancelled. So by pre-booking I was essentially able to hold the spots but then still get the discount from the package. 

That was about ten years ago through, so not sure it would still work. 

• Thanks 1

I originally bought the 3-night specialty dining package during the July 4th flash sale, but buying Tuscan Grille, Murano, and Lawn Club Grill separately is only about $12 more for two of us. I canceled the package and bought/reserved Tuscan Grille and Murano separately. Don't really care about Lawn Club Grill.

I also decided not to make MDR reservations and just take our chances.

On 7/15/2023 at 6:32 PM, dave.s said:

I'll just make MDR reservations now for every night, then make specialty dining reservations on board and cancel those nights in the MDR.

Booking Speciality automatically cancels any bookings made in the MDR (Select Dining) for the same date.

I’d like to go ahead and book a few of the specialty restaurants, but I’d like to use on board credit that I have. Is this possible to do instead of charging my credit card?  

14 minutes ago, anskt said:

I’d like to go ahead and book a few of the specialty restaurants, but I’d like to use on board credit that I have. Is this possible to do instead of charging my credit card?  

From what I recall, you have the option to apply all or part of your onboard credit when purchasing anything for your cruise online. 

Just now, NMTraveller said:

Since I booked the day that they became available I got 100% of my choices for dates and times and restaurants.

Have you done the champagne dinner?  I wish they put that in the planner!

4 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Have you done the champagne dinner?  I wish they put that in the planner!

I saw the Bouliad dinner,  but I was not sure what time it is at?  It said they would leave a note in your room about the time?  Anyways I am an early diner.

Edited by NMTraveller

1 minute ago, NMTraveller said:

I saw the Bouliad dinner,  but I was not sure what time it is at?  It said they would leave a note in your room about the time?  Anyways I am an early diner.

Boulud will be announced later or after we board.  Maybe a sea day?

Champagne dinner is separate.  I have friends who have done it.  I’ve never seen it advertised.

19 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Boulud will be announced later or after we board.  Maybe a sea day?

Champagne dinner is separate.  I have friends who have done it.  I’ve never seen it advertised.

So do you book your specialty reservations and the Boulud dinner,  and then cancel your specialty reservation when you find out the night of the Boulud dinner?

8 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

So do you book your specialty reservations and the Boulud dinner,  and then cancel your specialty reservation when you find out the night of the Boulud dinner?

Basically.  I’m only booking Murano, Daniel Boulud, champagne and maybe the very overpriced Indian pop up (husband wants it).

I'm just hoping these are all on separate days.

If I can get the champagne dinner I am likely to cancel Daniel Boulud.  Friends say it was “meat heavy”.

• Like 1