Carnival Panorama vs NCL Bliss for Mexico cruise

TiredTrucker

Debating between booking (2 rooms) on either of these for a first cruise with wife and kids (youngest is 17), Mexican Riviera 7 night.

NCL costs a bit more but with the OBC from a TA and Free at Sea "perks" the cost difference is negligible.

Carnival's online booking on the other hand isn't offering me...well, anything really. And the OBC offers from TA's for the Panorama are significantly less as well.

Opinions of NCL seem to be either love it or hate it, while most people I talk to really enjoy Carnival.  Curious what others think.

IMO, this is a 6 in one / half dozen in the other.  I've read a ton of negative reviews on the Carnival Vista Class ships, so I'd say those are also love it / hate it ships as well.  

Personally, I'd lean toward Bliss in this case.  I cruised an older sister ship of Bliss and really enjoyed it.  My one and only Carnival experience was not so great but again, it's only one cruise on that line.

Bliss has jersey boys and the cavern club with beatles cover band. if that sways you.

Food on NCL Bliss is more international Buffet has asian food and indian food each night, amongst other foods. Bliss has the observation lounge. 

Panorama has 3 production shows that are backed by an audio track. Carnival environment is more upbeat and younger with folks imbibing more. Carnival's food was more homey. Carnival has guy's burgers, mexican place, jiji's for lunch and italian for lunch included. 

I'm inclined to do bliss having done both Bliss and Panorama. But know that NCL does stand for NiCkLe and Dimed. 

25 minutes ago, smarterman64 said:

Bliss has jersey boys and the cavern club with beatles cover band. if that sways you.

Food on NCL Bliss is more international Buffet has asian food and indian food each night, amongst other foods. Bliss has the observation lounge. 

Panorama has 3 production shows that are backed by an audio track. Carnival environment is more upbeat and younger with folks imbibing more. Carnival's food was more homey. Carnival has guy's burgers, mexican place, jiji's for lunch and italian for lunch included. 

I'm inclined to do bliss having done both Bliss and Panorama. But know that NCL does stand for NiCkLe and Dimed. 

I do love Indian food.  😋

I've heard that NCL is known for nickel-and-dime but in trying to research both them and Carnival I don't see how they are any different in that regard.  What am I missing?

5 minutes ago, TiredTrucker said:

I do love Indian food.  😋

I've heard that NCL is known for nickel-and-dime but in trying to research both them and Carnival I don't see how they are any different in that regard.  What am I missing?

Bliss has a dedicated indian station. I did enjoy that.

NCL pushes a lot more of the extra add ons. They have a higher daily service charge, they have a lot more speciality restaurants you pay for, that carnival includes (guy's, blue iguana, asian wok, italian lunch are all included). 

NCL also does some fancy math on excursions because you get the $50 per port excursion credit. 

They also usually do Free at Sea meaning you get a Free Drink Package, but oh... you have teo pay the gratuities on it (around $20ish a day per person) and then free speciality dining!, but oh, you have to pay the gratuities on that... $10 or $19 depending on how many you get. 

I do cruise NCL, but i know what i am getting myself into. 

Panorama is very much the traditional cruise experience. Bliss i felt was a bit more/better than the typical cruise. If that makes sense. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah, the nickel and dime culture of NCL is like no other.  You have to go into it knowing that or else you're in for a surprise.  Charging mandatory gratuities on what they advertise as free packages shouldn't even be legal.  

But that said, those new ships are a lot of fun. Once on board, there's a lot to enjoy.  

38 minutes ago, smarterman64 said:

Bliss has a dedicated indian station. I did enjoy that.

NCL pushes a lot more of the extra add ons. They have a higher daily service charge, they have a lot more speciality restaurants you pay for, that carnival includes (guy's, blue iguana, asian wok, italian lunch are all included). 

NCL also does some fancy math on excursions because you get the $50 per port excursion credit. 

They also usually do Free at Sea meaning you get a Free Drink Package, but oh... you have teo pay the gratuities on it (around $20ish a day per person) and then free speciality dining!, but oh, you have to pay the gratuities on that... $10 or $19 depending on how many you get. 

I do cruise NCL, but i know what i am getting myself into. 

Panorama is very much the traditional cruise experience. Bliss i felt was a bit more/better than the typical cruise. If that makes sense. 

Makes perfect sense, thank you.

11 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Yeah, the nickel and dime culture of NCL is like no other.  You have to go into it knowing that or else you're in for a surprise.  Charging mandatory gratuities on what they advertise as free packages shouldn't even be legal.  

But that said, those new ships are a lot of fun. Once on board, there's a lot to enjoy.  

I did find that out early on at least.  Still, the $350 gratuity on that drink package is cheaper than paying full price for the Carnival one plus gratuities...but agreed, on principle it's not a good look.

I'm never put off by the 'extra charges' for things that I want.  I consider it all part of the cruise cost.  When comparing two cruises, just get out a legal pad and a calculator.  Add up the REAL costs to you for what YOU like and want.  I've always been negative about Carnival because of all the stories ... drunks carousing around most of the night.  The brawl that surged up and down several decks a while ago because someone's wife was 'having an affair' ... on a cruise ship!!?!  Who wants to be around low-lifes like that?  Regardless of your choice, there's no such thing as a bad cruise as long as your expectations are realistic.  

Believe me that Norwegian Cruise is going to cost you a lot more than you can imagine, with all the forced gratuities on FREE perks.

I prefer Carnival because it's the ultimate fun and party ship with non stop entertainment and plenty of free activities

Carnivals pricing is also simple and straight forward.

They don't fool you with free perks,  which are actually not free but included in the cruise fare. 

And  then charge ridiculous amount of gratuity for the same free perks.

Also don't forget the nickel and dime culture of Norwegian 

Edited by drsel

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

Have you considered RCI Navigator?

If Navigator of the Seas is an option, I recommend it over the other two.  In general, I recommend RCI over both Carnival and NCL.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drsel said:

Believe me that Norwegian Cruise is going to cost you a lot more than you can imagine, with all the forced gratuities on FREE perks.

How would you know? Have you priced the cruises the OP is considering?  Of course not...you couldn't have because the OP hasn't identified the dates, ships and cabin categories, not to mention that you can't possibly know how much OBC the OP will receive on each...other than we know the OP will receive more OBC on NCL.

1 hour ago, drsel said:

They don't fool you with free perks,  which are actually not free but included in the cruise fare. 

You know what you're going to pay. It's no secret. The total cost including gratuities is there in black and white when you price the cruises. If you're surprised by it it's nothing but your own failure to pay attention to the details.

1 hour ago, drsel said:

For more than 35 years I've sailed NCL, Royal Caribbean and Carnival, as well as numerous more upscale lines and I've never found NCL's "nickel and dime culture" as you call it to be significantly different than the other mass market lines. In all those years we've never paid a penny, much less a nickel or dime, above what we were expecting to pay and many times had no unpaid onboard  charges at the cruise's end...and we've even gotten refunds of unused OBC at the conclusion of cruises.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drsel said:

I prefer Carnival because it's the ultimate fun and party ship with non stop entertainment and plenty of free activities

Carnivals pricing is also simple and straight forward.

The auto gratuity is slightly more expensive, as is the initially ticket cost, to go NCL.  The cost of the "free" perks appear cut-and-dry at $350 for the beverage for each room that takes it, and $35 for the dinner package.  We are fine with these charges.  However, if there are charges I'm missing please point them out.

On Carnival there are no included dining at all so we would pay full price if we indulged in that, in addition to gratuities.  And while the Carnival Cheers is arguably the better drink package the cost would be more than double what we will pay for the "free" one on NCL, and we can't drink enough to make it worth taking at that point.  Carnival does let you bring cans of soda and juice onboard and I do appreciate that.  The consensus does sound like Panorama is a "funner" ship, and I do understand that's subjective.  I think the onboard music options on NCL are more to my interests, as is the decor and overall look of the staterooms, and more laid back attitude and international dining options (as well as 2 "free" specialty dinners).  Meanwhile my wife and kids are possibly more interested in the lively Carnival atmosphere and having more included onboard eateries to choose from at any given moment.

Decisions, decisions.  But as this is our first cruise and we have no firm expectations going into it so I'm sure either choice is going to be a fun experience.

So, do you want to know why Carnival ships are more fun?  It's because they shove that word down your throat every chance they get so in the end, when someone asks about your cruise, your answer is "fun."  Seriously.  I think it was even stenciled on the dining room napkins.  I'm surprised it wasn't on the toilet paper.  

In reality, there is no more "fun" to be had on Carnival than there is on the Bliss or any of the new mega ships of NCL and RCI.  I cruised Bliss' older sister, Escape, and had a blast on board.  

Regarding included meals, in addition to the dining room and buffet, NCL has O'Sheehans, which is a 24/7 menu-order eatery.  It's mostly comfort food, but still pretty good. 

I'll double-down on my recommendation for Bliss.

I cruise

NCL stocks Coke products, but you CANNOT bring your own soft drinks on if you prefer Pepsi.

Carnival stocks Pepsi products but you CAN bring your own soft drinks if you prefer Coke products.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TiredTrucker said:

The auto gratuity is slightly more expensive, as is the initially ticket cost, to go NCL.  The cost of the "free" perks appear cut-and-dry at $350 for the beverage for each room that takes it, and $35 for the dinner package.  We are fine with these charges.  However, if there are charges I'm missing please point them out.

On Carnival there are no included dining at all so we would pay full price if we indulged in that, in addition to gratuities.  And while the Carnival Cheers is arguably the better drink package the cost would be more than double what we will pay for the "free" one on NCL, and we can't drink enough to make it worth taking at that point.  Carnival does let you bring cans of soda and juice onboard and I do appreciate that.  The consensus does sound like Panorama is a "funner" ship, and I do understand that's subjective.  I think the onboard music options on NCL are more to my interests, as is the decor and overall look of the staterooms, and more laid back attitude and international dining options (as well as 2 "free" specialty dinners).  Meanwhile my wife and kids are possibly more interested in the lively Carnival atmosphere and having more included onboard eateries to choose from at any given moment.

Decisions, decisions.  But as this is our first cruise and we have no firm expectations going into it so I'm sure either choice is going to be a fun experience.

You will certainly enjoy both cruises.

if I were you I would try to do both of them after spending so much on airfare.

however if you don't have the time, then I would choose the one which is easier on the pocket.

Royal Caribbean Navigator is better than both, but unfortunately it's not available.

You don't need to pay for the Carnival cheers package

These alcoholic packages are more profitable for the cruise line

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drsel said:

You will certainly enjoy both cruises.

if I were you I would try to do both of them after spending so much on airfare.

however if you don't have the time, then I would choose the one which is easier on the pocket.

Royal Caribbean Navigator is better than both, but unfortunately it's not available.

You don't need to pay for the Carnival cheers package

These alcoholic packages are more profitable for the cruise line

Thanks, I had a hunch the drink packages brought in significant profit for the lines, given how they push them.  I would spring the cost for the included beverage package on NCL just for the fun of it, and the Bliss appears to lean heavily on lounges for entertainment.  Not considering it for Carnival though.

I believe we are going to book Carnival this time.  I lean toward NCL but Carnival is cheaper and I think my kids will enjoy it more.  I wish I could afford both but even one is a big expenditure in my case, both in terms of money and vacation time.  I am curious why you consider RC the better of the three.

If we enjoy this cruise my wife and I might try for an Alaska later, perhaps on the Bliss, though I hear Princess is also recommended for Alaska.

• Like 1

My kids had great times on NCL, even the older ships. We love being able to decide when to eat dinner and not have a set time every night. When you have the usb, you can bring onboard as many bottles of wine as you wish. On our last cruise my oldest were 19 and 20, they liked being able to order beer and wine.