$100,000 for a Bottle of Wine! Just, Why?

4 hours ago, padgman1 said:

Inquiring minds want to know...what do YOU like?

My tastes are changing all the time, which I think is normal for most of us; I started old world in the 90s then went almost exclusively new world in the 2000s, and now I'm back to old world again.  Right now 70+% of my cellar is Bordeaux (mostly left bank), Champagne (white and rose), Piedmont and Chianti.  I love Burgundy but refuse to pay current prices--in fact I've sold most of my Burgs to capitalize on the current insane pricing (and to fund a cruise or two).

As I tell my friends all the time, you shouldn't give a rat's ass about professional reviews or what people say you should drink.  if you enjoy it, drink it; your tastes are the only ones which matter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Whinenowine said:

As I tell my friends all the time, you shouldn't give a rat's ass about professional reviews or what people say you should drink.  if you enjoy it, drink it;

LOL--- Oh Yea ???

Tell that to "You know who " after "someone " enjoys 3 diet cokes on a hot afternoon after a game of golf !!!!  

14 hours ago, Whinenowine said:

As I tell my friends all the time, you shouldn't give a rat's ass about professional reviews or what people say you should drink.  if you enjoy it, drink it; your tastes are the only ones which matter.

I do hear you, and you are correct that there is a subjective element to wine.  If someone thinks that $8 bottle of Gallo is the best wine they've ever tasted, then good for them (and their wallet).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

I do hear you, and you are correct that there is a subjective element to wine.  If someone thinks that $8 bottle of Gallo is the best wine they've ever tasted, then good for them (and their wallet).

Had I never gone beyond that $8 bottle I could have afforded a third kid!  Seriously though, there is more good, "reasonably priced" wine being made today than ever before (also more overpriced plonk being made).  People mentioned Portuguese wines, also Spanish and Italian; not to mention the New World stuff.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

Had I never gone beyond that $8 bottle I could have afforded a third kid!  

I didn't start drinking until a year after my third child was born.

By the way, I don't have four children.

I'm not saying there is a conclusion to be drawn here. I'm also not not saying that. 

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

Had I never gone beyond that $8 bottle I could have afforded a third kid!  Seriously though, there is more good, "reasonably priced" wine being made today than ever before (also more overpriced plonk being made).  People mentioned Portuguese wines, also Spanish and Italian; not to mention the New World stuff.

Lots of great reasonably priced stuff.  You just aren't likely to get it from places like Bordeaux, Burgundy or Napa.  But South America, New Zealand and Australia, even South Africa, is putting out some great stuff.

51 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

Lots of great reasonably priced stuff.  You just aren't likely to get it from places like Bordeaux, Burgundy or Napa. 

Agreed.  I find the $15-20 entry level Chianti Classico from producers like Fontodi, Felsina, Castello di Ama and San Giusto a Rentennano drink better than most $50-75 bottles of Cali Cab.  Same for basic Rioja Gran Reservas (La Rioja Alta, CUNE, etc).  Just my personal preference.

• Like 1

Speaking of wine, I rent a wine locker here in San Diego.  I bought a couple of cases of a 2011 Chilean Cabernet that I really enjoyed back when.

But not all wine ages well forever.  So while it's still drinkable, it's similar to me in that it's past its prime.

Brought the rest of it home, and I'll work on "getting rid" of it.  Cracking a bottle tonight.

I guess the point is that wine is meant to be enjoyed.  If you have some special bottles that you've set aside, don't forget to actually drink some one day.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

I know of people who think that Asti Spumante is the best 😁😁😁

• Haha 1

On 7/15/2023 at 9:41 AM, Georgia_Peaches said:

We enjoyed Conundrum on our most recent cruise.  A red blend that wasn't half bad and was available in most every venue we frequented.

Can you tell me why you liked it? I’ve had it recommended, but have tried the white blend (also recommended) and despised it. Since then I’ve avoided the brand. 

26 minutes ago, sunpsyche said:

Can you tell me why you liked it? I’ve had it recommended, but have tried the white blend (also recommended) and despised it. Since then I’ve avoided the brand. 

Conundrum is one of Chuck Wagner's wines, he of Caymus fame.  No, it's not as good as Caymus, but it's a respectable wine (I like the red) for the money.  And importantly, it's widely available on Celebrity in their premium drink package.

Another one of Wagner's wines I recommend is Bonanza.  They have various lots, but just buy what you see, as they're all pretty good.  Typically found in the $19-$20 per bottle price range, and while I think Conundrum is pretty solid, I prefer Bonanza.  I also find it to be a good value at that price point.

Bonanza_Wine_Cabernet_Sauvignon_Lot_1_1_1_1_1000x.jpg.webp

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, sunpsyche said:

@Stockjock took the words right out of my mouth. I find that all the Wagner wines have similar notes and a nice finish. I haven’t tried the white. Both Conundrum and Bonanza are currently available at Sams in my area for $20, which is a pretty good price point IMO. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Stockjock said:

Speaking of wine, I rent a wine locker here in San Diego.  I bought a couple of cases of a 2011 Chilean Cabernet that I really enjoyed back when.

But not all wine ages well forever.  So while it's still drinkable, it's similar to me in that it's past its prime.

Brought the rest of it home, and I'll work on "getting rid" of it.  Cracking a bottle tonight.

I guess the point is that wine is meant to be enjoyed.  If you have some special bottles that you've set aside, don't forget to actually drink some one day.

Absolutely!  Worst feeling with wine is waiting too long and having it be over the hill. Having said that, I took 2 bottles of Bordeaux on our Millie cruise in Alaska last year--and '89 and '90 and both were peaking at 30y+yrs.  It's an effort keeping up with what's ready to drink when...but truly a high class problem, so no complaints.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2023 at 5:11 PM, Whinenowine said:

I love Burgundy but refuse to pay current prices--in fact I've sold most of my Burgs to capitalize on the current insane pricing (and to fund a cruise or two).

How does one go about selling wines that they have properly aged?  I read somewhere that you needed to have them professionally aged.  Is that the case?  Or can you age them yourselves and sell them?

Edited by NMTraveller

Now we're going to have to try the Silk and Spice @Stockjock - looks promising and at that price, what's there to lose? 

We have splurged on wine before, but I think the most we've ever paid for a bottle of wine, and that was while we were at the winery feeing quite tipsy from our tastings, was around $200. And that was once. And we didn't do it again. But it was utterly delicious. Quintessa. Good stuff. If you ever have a chance to visit that winery in Napa, they have these outdoor cabanas with sliding glass walls that overlook the lake and the mountains and it's utter perfection on an early fall or late spring day. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

How does one go about selling wines that they have properly aged?  I read somewhere that you needed to have them professionally aged.  Is that the case?  Or can you age them yourselves and sell them?

Due to the myriad state laws on the sale of alcohol, the safest way is to consign your wine to an auction house or to a retailer with proper licensing.  I'm sure there are other ways, but none that I can personally vouch for. They'll ask details about when/where you bought the wines (often asking for sales slips) and how the bottles were stored (professional or home cellar are accepted).  I've bought and sold this way for 25yrs.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/25/2023 at 2:16 PM, Whinenowine said:

Agreed.  I find the $15-20 entry level Chianti Classico from producers like Fontodi, Felsina, Castello di Ama and San Giusto a Rentennano drink better than most $50-75 bottles of Cali Cab.  Same for basic Rioja Gran Reservas (La Rioja Alta, CUNE, etc).  Just my personal preference.

Amen to that, brother !

Don't forget the Crianzas by the same Spanish producers...

On 7/26/2023 at 7:44 AM, Whinenowine said:

Absolutely!  Worst feeling with wine is waiting too long and having it be over the hill. Having said that, I took 2 bottles of Bordeaux on our Millie cruise in Alaska last year--and '89 and '90 and both were peaking at 30y+yrs.  It's an effort keeping up with what's ready to drink when...but truly a high class problem, so no complaints.

‘89 Haut Brion ?

‘90 Latour ?

16 hours ago, Whinenowine said:

Ha I wish...'90 Latour is phenomenal but alas I rely on friends for that pricey gem.  I brought an '89 Lynch Bages and '90 Pichon Baron (love the Pauillacs).

(Drool...) Have had both in lesser years, great wines, but a LONG time ago. Pichon-Lalande is my favorite Pauillac. Cos d'Estournel is my favorite Bordeaux. Sadly, I have turned to "the dark side" and have enjoyed New World non-cabernet sauvignon wines for the last 20 years...

Favorite wine snob line: Pardon me, but do you have any red Mouton?

• Like 1