Discovery - electrical outlet for CPAP

fluffyclouds

There is always an electrical outlet near the bed lamps.  You will need a multi-outlet adapter so you can plug in your  CPAP machine and bed lamp.  Your CPAP is dual voltage so you won't need a converter.  

50 minutes ago, memoak said:

I was recently on the Discovery and the nearest plug for a CPAP machine in my penthouse suite needed a an extension cord to reached 

You need to try a Window Suite.  There are at least 6 outlets scattered around the room.

3 hours ago, fluffyclouds said:

Does anyone know if there is an electrical outlet on or near the nightstand on the Discovery?

I understand that your stateroom attendant will supply you with an extension cord if needed. 

Tom😀

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fluffyclouds said:

Thank you everyone for your responses. @cr8tiv1 Actually, we will be in a window suite and are very much looking forward to the experience. In the window suite is there an outlet close to the bed that does not require an extension cord?

Window Suites on the Royal Class ships (Discovery Princess) are not the same as a Grand Class ship.  After posting my comment, I thought of going back to clarify that, but was too late.  I can not speak for a Royal Class ship.  I can only surmise that there has to be an outlet for the lamps by the bed.  I don't know if they are hardwired into the wall.  If there are outlets, they will be European outlets that would still require an adapter.  

We were just in a mini-suite on the Enchanted and my guy needed an extension cord from the cabin attendant to plug in his CPAP.  The extension cord connected to an outlet over the desk.  During the night when it was plugged in we had to be very careful not to trip over the cord.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, suzyed said:

Are they all way forward?

Disclaimer:  I can only comment on Window Suites on the Grand Princess and the Caribbean Princess (both Grand Class ships).  I know absolutely nothing about the Royal Class ship Window Suites that are in the front of the ship (on a higher deck).  I would suspect that the Window Suites on the Discovery would have similar outlets, unless they are all hard wired in.

Grand Class Window Suites are midship/Deck 6.

* They have 2 single European outlets behind the bed (connected or twin).  

* They have a lamp on the long desk along the 2 windows.  There is one European outlet tucked away under the desk.

* They have one US outlet behind the television (at least on the Grand).

* They have one European outlet for the table lamp near the sofa.

* They have one European outlet AND two US outlet on the other desk.  I believe there are two US outlets, but they are so close together it is difficult to use with power charging blocks.

Screenshot2021-10-19at10_40_33PM.thumb.png.fd609772e2a3153eefb685d1cba39e3b.png

IMG_1946.thumb.jpeg.5e221b0cb9b988a6135fc4d68d170322.jpeg

IMG_1146.thumb.jpeg.88f48f9adc8de638f7f1d7f60125e9b9.jpeg

IMG_1145.thumb.jpeg.62933a671b2137b31a2dbe278aeeba50.jpeg

I have never had a need for an extension cord when traveling on any Grand Class ship (even in an inside cabin).  There was always an outlet behind the bed.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone for the information. Our fellow cruisers on this site are always a wealth of information.  My husband is going to look into a back-up battery for his cpap machine that he would use instead of having to plug the machine into an outlet. If possible, we would like to avoid running an extension cord across the floor as we also use a rollator. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Will you have an adapter with you?  The ship will provide you with an commercial heavy duty extension cord.  I always take my own (household variety)...just in case.  I am one that packs the kitchen sink.  "Don't leave home without one."

We have a small non-surge protected power strip and extension cord for our CPAPs (both DH and I use them).  We plug the CPAP cords into the extension cord (under the bed) then plug the extension cord into the power strip on the desk.  We then use the painter's tape (a necessity to shut off those X&$! motion detector lights) to tape the cord to the carpet so we don't trip over it.  When we haven't had painter's tape our steward has always been able to find tape to do the job.  This system works well for us.

I know that others bring a European plug adapter and use the outlet under the bed but getting to that outlet is a pain for us.

• Like 1

@azbirdmom I'm not limber enough to get down on my knees.  It's one of the things I have "learned" to ask my steward for help.  (S)he does it with such ease.  Same with removal.  (S)he's earned his/her (additional) tip at the cruise!  I am so thankful for youngies.  The desk outlets are in "valuable" real estate for electronic devices.

• Like 1

This 220 volt outlet is under the bed. I used a outlet adapter so 

I could plug in my CPAP power transformer and not have a extension cord going across the floor. Also I checked to make sure that the transformer was capable of handling the higher voltage that the outlet had. This made using my CPAP machine much easier and with out needing an extension cord.

Hope this helps.

Happy Trails 

IMG_20200210_065822352.thumb.jpg.3396e134397548f21d16232c9389767f.jpg.c1ba98bcc097adc0a34ea7e17f502038.jpg

Edited by BigWaveDave87
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 7/15/2023 at 11:13 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Disclaimer:  I can only comment on Window Suites on the Grand Princess and the Caribbean Princess (both Grand Class ships).  I know absolutely nothing about the Royal Class ship Window Suites that are in the front of the ship (on a higher deck).  I would suspect that the Window Suites on the Discovery would have similar outlets, unless they are all hard wired in.

Grand Class Window Suites are midship/Deck 6.

* They have 2 single European outlets behind the bed (connected or twin).  

* They have a lamp on the long desk along the 2 windows.  There is one European outlet tucked away under the desk.

* They have one US outlet behind the television (at least on the Grand).

* They have one European outlet for the table lamp near the sofa.

* They have one European outlet AND two US outlet on the other desk.  I believe there are two US outlets, but they are so close together it is difficult to use with power charging blocks.

Screenshot2021-10-19at10_40_33PM.thumb.png.fd609772e2a3153eefb685d1cba39e3b.png

IMG_1946.thumb.jpeg.5e221b0cb9b988a6135fc4d68d170322.jpeg

IMG_1146.thumb.jpeg.88f48f9adc8de638f7f1d7f60125e9b9.jpeg

IMG_1145.thumb.jpeg.62933a671b2137b31a2dbe278aeeba50.jpeg

I have never had a need for an extension cord when traveling on any Grand Class ship (even in an inside cabin).  There was always an outlet behind the bed.

Thanks so much for this helpful information.  I will be sailing in a grand princess penthouse next week with my cpap and wondered about the electrical outlets.  I am packing an extension cord just in case but sounds like I shouldn’t need it.  I also will bring 2 adapters and a power strip with usb ports.  Happy travels!

• Like 1

I have *always* plugged my CPAP into the "hidden" out(s) behind the bed.  I take a "European-style" 2 prong adapter that lets me plug in whatever was originally plugged in there and also gives a "US-style" socket.  No trip hazards using extension cords!

Ship Power Adapter.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I take a "European-style" 2 prong adapter that lets me plug in whatever was originally plugged in there and also gives a "US-style" socket. 

Question, is that 2 pin outlet on the wall in the ship 220 volt? I'm assuming it is. And that adapter you posted just changes the 2 pin to a normal US style outlet, correct? It doesn't convert the 220 volt to 120 volt, does it?

I'm just trying to confirm that the 2 pin wall outlet on the ships is actually 220 volt, so I know which voltage converter to order, since I need a 120 volt output, not the 220 volt from the 2 pin.

8 hours ago, RocknRoll22 said:

Question, is that 2 pin outlet on the wall in the ship 220 volt? I'm assuming it is. And that adapter you posted just changes the 2 pin to a normal US style outlet, correct? It doesn't convert the 220 volt to 120 volt, does it?

I'm just trying to confirm that the 2 pin wall outlet on the ships is actually 220 volt, so I know which voltage converter to order, since I need a 120 volt output, not the 220 volt from the 2 pin.

Anywhere that you see that style of 2 prong outlet it is 220 volt. Correct, the adapter that I posted does not "convert" anything other than just the pin/plug contacts. You obviously need to confirm beforehand that your device (whatever it may be) is "dual voltage". Pretty much all CPAP power supplies and phone chargers these days *are* dual voltage...it will be marked/stamped on the side.

What are you wanting to plug in? If it's a CPAP you probably don't need a converter.

4 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Anywhere that you see that style of 2 prong outlet it is 220 volt. Correct, the adapter that I posted does not "convert" anything other than just the pin/plug contacts. You obviously need to confirm beforehand that your device (whatever it may be) is "dual voltage". Pretty much all CPAP power supplies and phone chargers these days *are* dual voltage...it will be marked/stamped on the side.

What are you wanting to plug in? If it's a CPAP you probably don't need a converter.

9 hours ago, RocknRoll22 said:

I travel to Europe for work regularly and use a CPAP machine.  I always use the simple European to US adapter like that suggested by @Rick&Jeannie.  If your CPAP machine has the little rectangular box somewhere in the chords from the machine to the plug, then that little rectangular box is likely to be a voltage converter or have a  voltage converter within it.   Mine does (ResMed AirSense).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I don't use a CPAP, so it's not that. It's for normal 120 volt items like my laptop, tablet or phone. I see that some of the transformers on cell phone chargers have a rating up to 240 volt, so apparently they are OK. Just not looking to fry my laptop, so if I convert the 2 pin wall outlet to 120 volt, it's better to be safe then sorry.