1pm flight in Rome post cruise, any issues?

heckofagator

We'll be docking in Civitavecchia and are looking at return flights to the US from Rome. 

I was looking at a 1pm departure and wife is worried for whatever reason that there is not enough time to make that flight. There are some 10am flights which I'd rather be on but that might be pushing it in my opinion. 

Figure off the ship at 8am, 2 hour train ride to the airport and that's still very early to me for a 1pm departure, but just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything. 

Thanks! 

Plenty of time for a 1pm flight. 10am is definitely pushing it. 

The train is an option, but a bit of a hassle with luggage. Definitely doable, but probably not fun. I would just take the last cruise line transfer.

This is from a couple who just spent 15 days traveling around Europe by train, but only with carry on bags.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

The train is an option, but a bit of a hassle with luggage. Definitely doable, but probably not fun. I would just take the last cruise line transfer.

This is from a couple who just spent 15 days traveling around Europe by train, but only with carry on bags.

Thanks, still need to research from Rome to the port and then from Port to airport, but this is good to know.  Thanks. 

We just purchase the transfer while on the ship?  Or needs to be done pre-cruise? 

Edited by heckofagator

53 minutes ago, heckofagator said:

Thanks, still need to research from Rome to the port and then from Port to airport, but this is good to know.  Thanks. 

We just purchase the transfer while on the ship?  Or needs to be done pre-cruise? 

Most likely you will be able to purchase on your ship, but I can't speak for every cruise line. 

11 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Three hours prior to an international departure is the minimum, especially this year with record numbers of tourists.

8 AM seems a bit late, most ships start disembarking by 6 or 6:30.

Can I ask why you think an 8AM pick up time to go to the airport is a bit late? I heard it’s about an hour to the airport. That would give them 4 hours at the airport prior to flight.

I have a 1:50PM flight and was thinking of having shuttle transfer pick us up at the port at 9:30AM. I figure we could have an easier morning and less crowding when leaving for our long flight home. Does anyone think that won’t work?

1 minute ago, gatorchinsky said:

Can I ask why you think an 8AM pick up time to go to the airport is a bit late? I heard it’s about an hour to the airport. That would give them 4 hours at the airport prior to flight.

Sorry, my bad.  I read your comment to mean you couldn't get off until 8 AM.

An hour is about right for a private transfer from Civitavecchia to the airport.

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

An hour is about right for a private transfer from Civitavecchia to the airport. 

But to add on info for the previous poster, exiting the ship at 8 AM to take the train could be cutting it a bit short as that takes longer. It can take half an hour or so just to get to the train station if you have to wait for bus to fill...  (And that's assuming the port continues to operate a shuttle direct to the train station. Previously you had to change buses at the port entrance.)

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

But to add on info for the previous poster, exiting the ship at 8 AM to take the train could be cutting it a bit short as that takes longer. It can take half an hour or so just to get to the train station if you have to wait for bus to fill...  (And that's assuming the port continues to operate a shuttle direct to the train station. Previously you had to change buses at the port entrance.)

To add to Cruisemom:  just about everyone wants to be the first off the ship to catch a train to a flight or something.  2-4000 people won't be able to get off within a couple of minutes of the "all clear".  I'd take that later flight, then not fight the scrum of all the people trying to get to the airport.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, doccide said:

I have a 1030 flight, plan on a private transfer at 0700, should make it by 815. Plenty of time

That's plenty of time if it is a domestic flight (within the Scengen zone) but it's not enough for an international flight, they require three hours.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2023 at 5:15 PM, euro cruiser said:

That's plenty of time if it is a domestic flight (within the Scengen zone) but it's not enough for an international flight, they require three hours.

The international terminal at FCO is FAR, Far, Far away. In fact it's so far at one point you need to take a tram to the terminal. 

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

The international terminal at FCO is FAR, Far, Far away. In fact it's so far at one point you need to take a tram to the terminal. 

For some gates, yes, but not all.  The issue is getting through security and passport control, those are the pinch points.  From there to the gate may be a hike but it's not going to take that long.

• Like 2

Also another consideration is time of year.  In the fall storms can make ships late docking.   So leave lots of time.  I recommend a private transfer for ease with luggage,  perhaps you can share with another couple to lessen the cost.   We find it money well spent. 

• Like 1

You do need to be at the airport three hours before flight time.  

@heckofagator -  You can have an easy private transfer leaving the ship at 9 a.m.  You leave too much to chance with connections with your current plan.

@gatorchinsky - your plan would work just fine.

@doccide - you don't have plenty of time unless you can leave at 6 a.m..  You probably won't make it leaving at 7 a.m. if the first leg of your flight is to the US.  It would be ok if the first leg is within Europe.  

We traveled and returned from the cruise last week.  Ended up having a 7pm flight out of Rome so we got off the ship around 8am and did the whole train station thing and got into Rome and spent 10am-3pm walking around and then got a cab to the airport.  Worked out well.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, heckofagator said:

We traveled and returned from the cruise last week.  Ended up having a 7pm flight out of Rome so we got off the ship around 8am and did the whole train station thing and got into Rome and spent 10am-3pm walking around and then got a cab to the airport.  Worked out well.

We disembarked a cruise at Civitavecchia on July 30 and with a 5:30 pm flight we decided to take a private tour to Lake Bracciano. We had the car service meet us at 8:00am and we first went to a cafe for coffee and pastries right by the Lake. Then we walked around the lakeside which being a Sunday had market stalls all out. After that we went to the nearby Orsini-Odescalchi Castle. It was such a beautifully restored castle (Tom Cruise had his wedding here with Katie Holmes) and I highly recommend Lake Bracciano and the castle. After the castle we made our way to FCO airport. It was a wonderful and relaxed ending to our Mediterranean cruise.

PXL_20230730_082818573.jpg

PXL_20230730_083001870.jpg

PXL_20230730_083033222~2.jpg

PXL_20230730_083140108.jpg

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2023 at 2:30 PM, marazul said:

You do need to be at the airport three hours before flight time.  

@heckofagator -  You can have an easy private transfer leaving the ship at 9 a.m.  You leave too much to chance with connections with your current plan.

@gatorchinsky - your plan would work just fine.

@doccide - you don't have plenty of time unless you can leave at 6 a.m..  You probably won't make it leaving at 7 a.m. if the first leg of your flight is to the US.  It would be ok if the first leg is within Europe.  

see mu post from today