dress code on HAL ship

newgirlhelpme

4 hours ago, sandiego1 said:

You can wear shorts in any venue on the ship at night except the main dining room (MDR) and the 2 up charge restaurants (Pinnacle Grill and Canaletto).

You neglected to mention Tamarind and Sel de Mer, if on a ship that has either (or both) of those restaurants. 

12 minutes ago, RuthC said:

You neglected to mention Tamarind and Sel de Mer, if on a ship that has either (or both) of those restaurants. 

She wrote that she’s on the Oosterdam, so I didn’t neglect those 2 restaurants since they aren’t on the ship. There may be a pop up, but it would be in the Pinnacle Grill restaurant so my advice is accurate.

• Like 4

On the oosterdam currently and saw some people get turned down entry while others were let in right in front of me in shorts as well in the main dining room Very inconsistent enforcement about pants shirts etc. Jeans were also acceptable on dressy nights. Overall would recommend the main dining over Lido - worlds apart in quality.  

• Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 1:30 AM, crystalspin said:

I don't think the Oosterdam has a separate Pizza Place. But may have a pizza station in the Lido Market. And, for what it's worth, Ooster rhymes with Toaster (not OOOster), so you'll be in the know!

Oops 🤭 We're been booked on our first upcoming Oosterdam cruise for well over a year now, and have been mispronouncing it. After so long saying it wrong, it will take some work to undo the bad habit and get it right in time for our cruise 😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, rodndonna said:

Oops 🤭 We're been booked on our first upcoming Oosterdam cruise for well over a year now, and have been mispronouncing it. After so long saying it wrong, it will take some work to undo the bad habit and get it right in time for our cruise 😃

Better practice a lot - you know there's an oral quiz at the last security station - those failing the quiz are denied boarding. 🙄

Wouldn't that be awful - I think half of us would never be allowed on a ship, lol.

Safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

If you get confused as to whether you are going forward or aft, there are outlines (?) of the ship  on the carpet, pointing correct direction, where you enter or leave passageways.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

If you get confused as to whether you are going forward or aft, there are outlines (?) of the ship  on the carpet, pointing correct direction, where you enter or leave passageways.

You clearly overestimate my navigational abilities - sadly I need the outlines on the carpet to be updated with "your room is this way" and "the Ocean bar is this way".🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

34 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

You clearly overestimate my navigational abilities - sadly I need the outlines on the carpet to be updated with "your room is this way" and "the Ocean bar is this way".🤔

Be assured, you are not alone.  My own non-functioning sense of direction is a constant source of amusement for DH, on land and at sea.  Recently, if a crew member had moved the potted plant by the exit to the lifts nearest our cabin, I'd have been completely lost. 🙃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

It won’t help in all things, but one tip that’s helped me when getting my bearings straight is the trick for remembering “port” vs “starboard.” If you’re facing the front of the ship, port is on your left side, and both “port” and “left” have 4 letters in them. Also, that’s where even-numbered staterooms are (odd-numbered being on the starboard / right side of the ship), and “even” also has 4 letters.

(Not sure it’s as difficult to remember “forward” vs “aft,” but someone once pointed out to me that “aft” and “ass” are both 3-letter words starting with “a” that refer to the behind.)

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, erdufylla said:

It won’t help in all things, but one tip that’s helped me when getting my bearings straight is the trick for remembering “port” vs “starboard.” If you’re facing the front of the ship, port is on your left side, and both “port” and “left” have 4 letters in them. Also, that’s where even-numbered staterooms are (odd-numbered being on the starboard / right side of the ship), and “even” also has 4 letters.

(Not sure it’s as difficult to remember “forward” vs “aft,” but someone once pointed out to me that “aft” and “ass” are both 3-letter words starting with “a” that refer to the behind.)

Actually it's "larboard" vs. "starboard"

😀

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

Actually it's "larboard" vs. "starboard"

😀

Well, if the ship or crew are 200 years old, then yes.......but modern convention (150 years plus) is that 'port' replace 'larboard' to avoid confusion.  Modern convention must have known that cruising was just about to happen 😁 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, VMax1700 said:

Well, if the ship or crew are 200 years old, then yes.......but modern convention (150 years plus) is that 'port' replace 'larboard' to avoid confusion.  Modern convention must have known that cruising was just about to happen 😁 

I've seen some passengers that look like they are almost that old.   LOL

• 4 months later...

We are packing lighter these days and want to pack only 2 pair of shoes for the upcoming outdoorsy cruise.  My plan is to wear hiking sneakers and one pair of semi-dressy flats.  On days when I send shoes out to polish are sneakers allowed in the MDR?  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

We are packing lighter these days and want to pack only 2 pair of shoes for the upcoming outdoorsy cruise.  My plan is to wear hiking sneakers and one pair of semi-dressy flats.  On days when I send shoes out to polish are sneakers allowed in the MDR?  Thanks.

I have not sailed on Holland America, however, on other lines, I have worn slip-on sneakers with capris in the dining room on non-gala nights.  I find the slip-on sneakers to be versatile as they can be worn with many different outfits while being extremely comfortable.

Added bonus is not having to untie sneakers during airport security.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Yes.  It's much more comfortable for me on some days. DH does the same. Never had anyone comment.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mary229 said:

On days when I send shoes out to polish are sneakers allowed in the MDR?  Thanks.

If you send your shoes out to be polished at night, they'll be back in plenty of time.

• Like 2