Do you book Vibe when you are in the Haven?

Sigyn

We'll be in the Haven for a spring break cruise on the Joy. I wouldn't normally consider booking Vibe, but it is a spring break cruise and that will give my husband and I some peace away from all the youngest kids (our son is 16, so he won't care that we aren't at his beck and call.) And I know that Joy is redoing their Vibe deck to expand it, so that might be nice. My question is, have you ever booked Vibe when you're in the Haven? Is it overkill? 

My husband and I have booked the vibe while we stayed in the Haven on multiple occasions. First off, the amount that you are paying for the Haven, what is a few more hundred dollars for the Vibe.  Also, even though the Haven sundeck is considered adults only, it really isn't enforced.  The Vibe has a bar, bathrooms, hot tubs and a whole different atmosphere than the Haven sundeck.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We may have been unlucky, but the Joy Haven sundeck was closed on at least 2x occasions due to 'adverse weather' - yet Vibe was still open on the same days. Obviously the position right at the front of the ship for the Haven sundeck doesn't help with the wind etc. - but they were very, very slow to reopen when conditions calmed down.

So in one regard, you are paying a lot of money for Haven so I wouldn't spend any more on Vibe. Although, the Vibe users got to use the sundeck more than we did in Haven, on our particular sailing, so make of that what you will!

• Like 1

I book Haven and do not book Vibe. 

If I was to book Vibe, I would book a regular balcony cabin and upgrade the number of specialty restaurants and do Haven Lite. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Haven sun deck is terribly boring. No bar and beverage service is hit and miss, most of the time a miss. If you like watching paint dry, you’ll love the Haven sun deck. If you enjoy more of a subdued party atmosphere with exceptional service, Vibe is a much better alternative.

• Like 2

Your money.  Do what you want.  Personally, I found getting drinks either from the Haven Bar or from the waitstaff pretty darned easy.  But, the Haven offers a more serene atmosphere.  If you want the "shot of the hour" club atmosphere, the Vibe is your ticket.  It's a rowdier space.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Coastalbreezes said:

I've met many people who booked Vibe while staying in the Haven. Their main reason was having a full bar as opposed to relying on Haven cocktail servers (who don't frequent the sundeck as often as they probably should).

Exactly.  I've found the haven servers to be a bit hit or miss as to coming around and asking if you want a drink.  I may have never had one approach me while in the hot tub.  In the vibe they make sure you get drinks.  Depending on the cruise it can be a party atmosphere with shots on a schedule, but I don't usually participate.  The no kids, no pee in the hot tub, and good bar service mean I try to book it.

On my last Prima cruise the concierge was letting kids in the hot tub on the haven deck.  I was very happy I had the vibe.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Coastalbreezes said:

I've met many people who booked Vibe while staying in the Haven. Their main reason was having a full bar as opposed to relying on Haven cocktail servers (who don't frequent the sundeck as often as they probably should).

The Vibe bar is what would interest us the most. We love a good bar at which to hang out and talk to people. I still want the rest of the Haven amenities, so I'll stick with the Haven and consider adding Vibe to the mix, along with a thermal pass since they're adding a thermal spa to the Joy just in time for our cruise as well. 

Edited by Sigyn
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 10:53 AM, gmbhardy said:

If you enjoy more of a subdued party atmosphere with exceptional service, Vibe is a much better alternative.

On 7/22/2023 at 10:59 AM, graphicguy said:

If you want the "shot of the hour" club atmosphere, the Vibe is your ticket.  It's a rowdier space.

Whoa, you two must have been at different Vibe sailings than me.  The Vibe is like a half-filled library or study hall - no music, way less density of crowd, and definitely not a party --- at least that's my experience. 

That said, having a bar there with unfettered access to hot tubs and loungers is definitely a plus of the Vibe for those of us opting to not staying in the Haven....well, to my wife at least....for me, it's down to the Waterfront to see some life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JGmf said:

Whoa, you two must have been at different Vibe sailings than me.  The Vibe is like a half-filled library or study hall - no music, way less density of crowd, and definitely not a party --- at least that's my experience. 

That said, having a bar there with unfettered access to hot tubs and loungers is definitely a plus of the Vibe for those of us opting to not staying in the Haven....well, to my wife at least....for me, it's down to the Waterfront to see some life.

Yeah...I was surprised, too.  I bought VIBE passes 2x.  Both times they had the "let's do shots" crowd in the hot tubs crowd.  The other was "let's dominate the bar" crowd.  Neither was sedate.

I don't have any issues with that.  But, for me it was the opposite of what I wanted when I booked.  I was looking for a place to chill out, read a book, just observe the scenery float by.

Service was great in the Vibe.  But, I got the same (or better) service around the Haven pool, plus I could grab lunch at the Haven pool, too if I wanted.  And, I was able to chill and read a book in peace, which was what I was looking for anyway.

In addition, if I were in the mood to get my party on, I could belly up to the Haven Bar.

If the Vibe works...book it.  It's become pricey.  I think I originally booked it for ~$50 on a one week sailing.  Last I heard, it's at least quadruple that now.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

If the Vibe works...book it.  It's become pricey.  I think I originally booked it for ~$50 on a one week sailing.  Last I heard, it's at least quadruple that now.

My earliest memory is $79 for the week but it may have been lower before that. As for the party atmosphere vs. library, it depends more on the guests who happen to be there. NCL doesn't really care which "vibe" is in the VIBE Beach Club once NCL has your money.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

My earliest memory is $79 for the week but it may have been lower before that. As for the party atmosphere vs. library, it depends more on the guests who happen to be there. NCL doesn't really care which "vibe" is in the VIBE Beach Club once NCL has your money.  

Good point.

I remember the Vibe being $49 for a week.  It accelerated quickly, though.  I think it went from $49 to $79 to $99 to $119 all in a year.  Then it took off again to $129, to $149...all the way up to $249 per person.  It may be even higher than that since I haven't checked in a while.  All the while, none of the amenities have changed since they were charging $49.

• Like 2

I just paid $309 for a 12 day on Joy coming up in October.

I just looked at my 15 day Bliss last December.  Paid $289.

It's small & convenient if you want sun & a comfortable lounger.  Worth it to this solo cruisers.  It's popular so they'll price it accordingly!

Edited by phoenix1181
added information

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Good point.

I remember the Vibe being $49 for a week.  It accelerated quickly, though.  I think it went from $49 to $79 to $99 to $119 all in a year.  Then it took off again to $129, to $149...all the way up to $249 per person.  It may be even higher than that since I haven't checked in a while.  All the while, none of the amenities have changed since they were charging $49.

It's $249 pp for the week. On the Joy they're expanding Vibe right before our March cruise, but I'm not sure what that will entail. I believe I read the addition of cabanas. But I think that was simply speculation. 

The thing is, my husband and I do not lay out in the sun. He's had skin cancer, and I only sunburn. So unless there is shade, we don't do loungers. But we do love a good bar. 

Edited by Sigyn

On 7/22/2023 at 10:53 AM, gmbhardy said:

The Haven sun deck is terribly boring. No bar and beverage service is hit and miss, most of the time a miss. If you like watching paint dry, you’ll love the Haven sun deck. If you enjoy more of a subdued party atmosphere with exceptional service, Vibe is a much better alternative.

But, given that you have access to the "free" Haven sundeck, to the OP's question, the value of the Vibe as an escape from the steerage areas is diminished to the point of being a waste of money. 

• Like 3

We have in the past for some of the very same reasons listed.  There is a fun party vibe to the Vibe often and we usually meet great friends. The Haven sun deck is snoozeville.  In the Haven pool area, there are sometimes kids that are not the most behaved, so it is a reprieve from that too.  But if there are a lot of ports where we intend on getting off the ship, the Vibe is simply not worth it for the hours they are open.  So we normally base our decision on that.

15 hours ago, Sigyn said:

It's $249 pp for the week. On the Joy they're expanding Vibe right before our March cruise, but I'm not sure what that will entail. I believe I read the addition of cabanas. But I think that was simply speculation. 

The thing is, my husband and I do not lay out in the sun. He's had skin cancer, and I only sunburn. So unless there is shade, we don't do loungers. But we do love a good bar. 

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

But, given that you have access to the "free" Haven sundeck, to the OP's question, the value of the Vibe as an escape from the steerage areas is diminished to the point of being a waste of money. 

Yep…..Haven pool and bar area there is usually snacks and at breakfast and lunch, food available.  If I want the rowdy set, I’ll go to Spice H20, which has a bar.  Never had an issue getting a lounger there, either.  Plus, on the newer ships there are some nice water features at Spice H20.  I can make as many friends at Spice H20 as I can in the Vibe.  Make even more in the Haven.

I could see perhaps $49/week/pp as a decent price.  But, even at that, if you have access to the Haven, I personally don’t see the point.  Non-Haven guests?  Makes a bit more sense.  $249/pp/week?  Nope…..not doing it.  Haven guest?  Definitely not doing it.

• Like 3

We were on Joy in March, which is the heart of spring break season. Lots of kids. Lots of college-aged students. Being in the Haven, we took advantage of the Haven sundeck quite often. We were one of the lucky ones to snag one of the cabanas. My husband would get up to the Haven sundeck around 8 AM to get the cabana. Once 9:30/10 rolled around, there was no way you'd get a cabana. We kept ours most of the day, as did others, including friends we made onboard. Around 1, we did leave. When we'd return around 4, the sundeck was become more peaceful as folks made their way to other activities.

Drink service was sporadic and you have to specially request the food menu. I saw multiple people order a drink, then wait 30 - 45 minutes for it. We had this experience as well. The Haven sundeck was really busy with people staying in the hot tub for hours at a time (myself included). Even the lounge chairs filled up. You could generally find one, but it might not be where you wanted. 

If you really are interested in hanging out all day on a lounger, in a hot tub, and with ready drink service, then consider Vibe. We really enjoyed the Haven sundeck and wouldn't splurge on Vibe, unless sailing non-Haven (which is probably not happening).

This does not apply to all ships, but on Prima (and Viva also I presume) the Vibe is only steps away from the buffet, so it is a great place to bring your food and eat in much more peace and quiet.  I'm not sure what the route is back to the Haven but it can't be nearly as convenient.

10 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

This does not apply to all ships, but on Prima (and Viva also I presume) the Vibe is only steps away from the buffet, so it is a great place to bring your food and eat in much more peace and quiet.  I'm not sure what the route is back to the Haven but it can't be nearly as convenient.

You have to go out the door, and down the stairs one flight to 16.  Then you can walk through the heavy fire door on the right hand side to enter into the haven bar area.

I agree it's a very good place to take a plate of food from the buffet.  Literally right outside of the buffet.  If you are haven you could always bring your phone and ring the butler for food.  I've never actually done that but I see it listed as the perks.

8 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Yep…..Haven pool and bar area there is usually snacks and at breakfast and lunch, food available.  If I want the rowdy set, I’ll go to Spice H20, which has a bar.  Never had an issue getting a lounger there, either.  Plus, on the newer ships there are some nice water features at Spice H20.  I can make as many friends at Spice H20 as I can in the Vibe.  Make even more in the Haven.

I could see perhaps $49/week/pp as a decent price.  But, even at that, if you have access to the Haven, I personally don’t see the point.  Non-Haven guests?  Makes a bit more sense.  $249/pp/week?  Nope…..not doing it.  Haven guest?  Definitely not doing it.

That's a very good point about Spice H20. Are kids allowed there?