Is a 'back to back' cruise the same itinerary? What is a repositioning cruise?

Looking for a longer cruise than seven or eight days, but finding not very many leaving from the USA next summer on Oasis class!  So what exactly is a back to back cruise?  Would it be the exact same cruise two weeks in a row?  Is there any discount for booking that?  Is there a special WAY to book it?

Also, what is a repositioning cruise?

Thank you!

2 minutes ago, Katems75 said:

Looking for a longer cruise than seven or eight days, but finding not very many leaving from the USA next summer on Oasis class!  So what exactly is a back to back cruise?  Would it be the exact same cruise two weeks in a row?  Is there any discount for booking that?  Is there a special WAY to book it?

Also, what is a repositioning cruise?

Thank you!

A b2b is just the same ship twice. Sometimes you see s2s and it's from 1 ship to another, usually the same day. I got a bunch in my signature. Nov 26 harmony in my signature is a b2b2b or b3b you sometimes see. 

We are doing a back-to-back on the Allure this summer.  Same itinerary.  It just worked out best for us because we're taking each cruise with different family members.  I would probably prefer to do different itineraries, but I love the Allure, so I'm not worried about having a good time.

We're doing a repositioning cruise in September. Leaving from Tampa to the ABC islands in southern California and finishing in Boston. Usually it's when a ship moves to another part of the country or world to do a series of cruises from a new port. Common ones are transatlantics (or trans-pacific). Several ships  leave USA each spring to spend summer in Europe and then go back in Autumn.  Usually a lot of sea days on repos and they are often cheaper. 

2 hours ago, sgmn said:

We're doing a repositioning cruise in September. Leaving from Tampa to the ABC islands in southern California and finishing in Boston. Usually it's when a ship moves to another part of the country or world to do a series of cruises from a new port. Common ones are transatlantics (or trans-pacific). Several ships  leave USA each spring to spend summer in Europe and then go back in Autumn.  Usually a lot of sea days on repos and they are often cheaper. 

Would you like to proofread that, @sgmn😉 

• Haha 8

We were on a back 2 back which was meant to be two different itineraries but due to bad weather they changed it to the same run.  They called us up in the cabin as the first week ended and said they would change all the travel arrangements and give us  a full refund on the second week if we wanted to go home.

We almost immediately said we would stay on. 

• Like 1

We are on a B2B in November that I guess also qualifies as two "repositioning" cruises. The first leg is a 14 night Miami to LA cruise through the Panama canal, and the second leg is a 14 night LA back to Miami cruise (same itineraries, just in reverse)😇

We have an Eastern/Western/Southern B3B on Adventure booked for next July, so it is possible to do multiple cruises back to back without repeating an itinerary.

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

😬 oops 🫢

Meant southern Caribbean, 

Promise I did geography at school 

Glad you clarified. I thought it went from Tampa through Panama, to California, back through Panama and all the way to Boston. That would be quite a long cruise!

11 hours ago, mets123 said:

Doing a B2B from Cape Liberty this September on the Liberty. Nine night NE/Canada followed by a five night Bermuda.

Are you on Sept. 7th NE/CA?  I booked that sailing last week.  I thought about doing a pre or post Bermuda, but the price for the 5 nights was higher than the 9 night NE/CA.  Plus, we are stopping in Bermuda overnight on the Oct. Anthem TA.

You can sail on any number of consecutive cruises on the same ship and they become BXB…I just finished a B5B in May. As explained in previous posts, a B2B is 2 consecutive cruises on the same ship. If you count every cruise line and their itineraries, there are literally thousands of choices.

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

Are you on Sept. 7th NE/CA?  I booked that sailing last week.  I thought about doing a pre or post Bermuda, but the price for the 5 nights was higher than the 9 night NE/CA.  Plus, we are stopping in Bermuda overnight on the Oct. Anthem TA.

Yep. I know it'll a little pricey, but I was able to snag the same cabin was is very hard to get with accessible balconies.

• Like 1