La Dame- $160 pp or $320 for dinner for 2!!!!

A Tucson Guy

@canderson thought that was the butler's job 😂.

I'm not sure whether this is only "a choice" or all wines.

The Chef's Table was 11 courses with one white and one red, an Aperitivo,  a cocktail inbetween and a variation of an espresso martini with dessert.

Dinner at La Reserve with Oceania had a wine for each course and I made it back to my suite 😂.

steamboats 

• Like 1

I ate a many course meal one time with a wine pairing for each course with a heavy pouring sommelier.  I got up to walk out and I almost passed out right onto the floor.  I basically had to carry my wife out and back to our room.

With that said one of the menus here posted IIRC had 2012 Dom which wouldn’t tempt me but Cristal would or perhaps some interesting regions with sparkling like south east England.  If the wines are interesting enough then maybe I’m in even at $300.

Edited by Codecow

• 1 month later...

Just wondering.  My husband and I never drink more than 1 alcoholic beverage a day for health reasons…we prefer eating our calories and lowering our carcinogens.  Does anyone know if we would still be charged $160 PP  in La Dame while consuming at most one glass of wine?  There’s so much reference to the new upcharge being related to wine.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Just wondering.  My husband and I never drink more than 1 alcoholic beverage a day for health reasons…we prefer eating our calories and lowering our carcinogens.  Does anyone know if we would still be charged $160 PP  in La Dame while consuming at most one glass of wine?  There’s so much reference to the new upcharge being related to wine.

That's really your personal choice.  It doesn't relate to the set price for the booking.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Not likely. You average my consumption out,  so they need to make up the loss! Much appreciate the kind assistance. 

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

30 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

I think you meant to quote the female gourmand, not JP.

Yes. 

But maybe it's time to pour a 3rd glass.  My comment was indeed in response to Gourmet Gal and, indirectly, her husband, meaning that while JP canceled out her single drink on a given night, I canceled out her husband's as well.

I'm sure this was totally clear to no one but me.  Gonna open up a 2nd bottle to celebrate, um, Monday.

• Haha 6

No way is La Dame worth a $160.00 surcharge.  I used to always go there once to see what was up.  Then I figured out that the selections at La Dame usually appeared on the Main Dining Room menu the next night.  The one difference was the portions at La Dame were larger-a good example of they were serving rack of lamb for instance at La Dame you would get 4 ribs in the MDR you would get 2.  But there is a trick a waiter taught me many cruises ago.  Just order 2 entrees in the MDR.  And for that kind of $$ the wine must be far superior to their usual plonk, Dom instead of Monopole, maybe a second growth Bordeaux, like Baron Pichon-none of which I have seen on a SS ship.  

8 minutes ago, chrism23 said:

No way is La Dame worth a $160.00 surcharge.  I used to always go there once to see what was up.  Then I figured out that the selections at La Dame usually appeared on the Main Dining Room menu the next night.  The one difference was the portions at La Dame were larger-a good example of they were serving rack of lamb for instance at La Dame you would get 4 ribs in the MDR you would get 2.  But there is a trick a waiter taught me many cruises ago.  Just order 2 entrees in the MDR.  And for that kind of $$ the wine must be far superior to their usual plonk, Dom instead of Monopole, maybe a second growth Bordeaux, like Baron Pichon-none of which I have seen on a SS ship.  

Having eaten twice in La  Dame on the Nova this August, La Dame in my opinion is not worth The $320 upcharge per couple. The only difference from La Dame on the other ships (at $120 upcharge per couple) is that the caviar served is Ossetra and that is way better than the stock caviar. Even that is not worth the upcharge. If you book a cruise with a $1,000 shipboard credit, this may be a way to spend that credit.

• Thanks 1

On 8/15/2023 at 4:27 AM, Host Jazzbeau said:

I love seared foie gras [paté is too close to a liverwurst sandwich, which takes me back to my youth and therefore goes with a glass of milk...] and am open to expanding my knowledge of proper pairings.  At a number of top restaurants, the pairing was either sweet wine or sake.  [And with my sweet tooth, there has never been a wine that is too sweet – is there something beyond trockenbeerenauslese???]  But for pairing with seared foie gras, what are the preferred choices?

Champagne ( but not a Blanc de Blancs )  or Gewurtstraminer or a  Riesling   if served as appetiser 

if it is served as last course ( what is not done anymore )  but very occasionnaly : Sauternes or on the cheaper side Banyuls  -  in the 80s had once sherry ( but not a dry ) or Hungarian Tokaij 

not all Sauternes are onerous  - 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vistaman said:

not all Sauternes are onerous

I would never say that Sauternes are onerous.  Château d'Yquem is welcome at any time, any place [on your dime...]  I don't know too much about the lesser cuvées but have never found one that was unacceptable.  This is a traditional pairing for foie gras, and fine by me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I would never say that Sauternes are onerous.  Château d'Yquem is welcome at any time, any place [on your dime...]  I don't know too much about the lesser cuvées but have never found one that was unacceptable.  This is a traditional pairing for foie gras, and fine by me.

ch Filhot or  La tour Blache are not too expensive 

40 minutes ago, Winemaker_1 said:

I've also had nice Sauternes from Doisy-Daene, Guiraud, and Suduiraut.

agree ! Suduiraut  , Guiraud and Doisy Daene in that order 

Guiraud and Doisy Daene   also do have a dry white wine , not sure on Suduiraut 

Yquem does have "Y" very good but very overpriced 

had Lafon on Swiss in First ( for miles  😆)  

46 minutes ago, Winemaker_1 said:

I've also had nice Sauternes from Doisy-Daene, Guiraud, and Suduiraut.

The DD L'Extravagant is the only Sauternes that can give d'yquem a run for it's money....in terms of cost!  Alas, I'm sad to say I've never had a taste of this top DD bottling.    😪