HAL dining times question

mckath

Hello everyone - I apologize if this question has been asked before but here goes:

My husband and I are going on our first cruise together and it will be on the Rotterdam in January. We will be going on excursions every day so I assume we will out most of the day and returning to the ship late afternoon most of the time.  What are some of the considerations in choosing early vs late dining vs "anytime" dining?  For example, would we maybe feel rushed by early dining, or would we miss out on entertainment options if we choose late dining?  Would we miss out on something special by just going with the "anytime" option?

Thanks in advance,

Kathy

Most excursions would get you back in plenty of time for early dining, but once or twice you might be pressed for time. In that case when you go late, or if you do "anytime" dining", you might be fighting a crowd. Whether late dining conflicts depends on whether your interested in a performance or just one of the other entertainment options.

One thing worth considering, especially since you're on the Rotterdam, is the option for Club Orange. That answers all your questions, as you can go for dinner anytime in the nice separate dining room, never battling a crowd. Most who have tried it find the cost worth it (there is a long thread here questioning that). There are other benefits, but I don't want to sound like a HAL salesperson!

• Like 1

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I don't like dining at 5:00 PM as its just too early for me.  Anytime dining might be your better choice. When I sail on Pinnacle-class ships, I choose Club Orange for a stateroom upgrade and the ability to dine in  Club Orange anytime I wish.

If you choose an early or late dining time and not wish to go there one evening, there are lots of other dining options.

• Like 1

Choosing early dining along with all-day tours means getting back to the ship without enough time to shower and change for dinner, let alone a few minutes to put your daytime things away, relax a bit, or grab a cocktail or glass of pre-dinner. 

As early seating has gotten earlier and earlier, so has main seating. It is now much earlier than the 8:00, 8:15, or 8:30 times it has been in the past. There is always a show time that will suit both early and late dining. 

At least with either fixed dining time you won't have to fight any crowds arriving at the same time, as you have a chair at a table reserved for you. 
With open seating you are really taking your chances that you may be seated immediately, or have to wait a very long time. 

If you plan to return to the ship quite late in the afternoon only a few times, and prefer early dining, you could book a specialty restaurant for a little later on those nights, and still be back in time to get ready for the 5:00 early time. 

Your first cruise together! How exciting! Enjoy it, and create some great memories. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crew News said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I don't like dining at 5:00 PM as its just too early for me.  Anytime dining might be your better choice. When I sail on Pinnacle-class ships, I choose Club Orange for a stateroom upgrade and the ability to dine in  Club Orange anytime I wish.

If you choose an early or late dining time and not wish to go there one evening, there are lots of other dining options.

I thought early dining was 5:30.  At least that's what I remember from my cruise last November.

To address the OP's questions, we had early dining and never felt rushed from a shore excursion, although we didn't have any that finished after 3pm.  Don't forget that the Lido also serves dinner and there's free room service dinners as well.  If you're feeling rushed, those are also options.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sciencewonk said:

I thought early dining was 5:30.  At least that's what I remember from my cruise last November.

Since last December my early dining on Rotterdam (Caribbean), Volendam(Pacific Coastal), and Nieuw Amsterdam (Alaska) has been at 5:00 PM   Some ships on other itineraries may vary.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Crew News said:

Since last December my early dining on Rotterdam (Caribbean), Volendam(Pacific Coastal), and Nieuw Amsterdam (Alaska) has been at 5:00 PM   Some ships on other itineraries may vary.

Thanks for the information.

I find Early seating to be too early on itinerary-intensive trips. I like to maximize my time ashore, and when I return I generally like to have a little down-time, then change for dinner, and many nights enjoy a cocktail before dinner. 

On the other hand, Main (late) dining is better from a timing perspective, but often you finish too late to catch the "main" show. On HAL it's not such a big deal as "headliner" shows are rare (unfortunately).  I don't like seeing a show before dinner, it just doesn't seem right.

For that reason, I generally take Anytime dining on itinerary-intensive trips. Still not ideal but I find that there is a sweet spot where -- if I show up just after 7:30 -- I generally do not have too long to wait and can almost always finish prior to the "main" show (if desired).

On ships where the itinerary is not such a big consideration, or when there are a lot of sea days, I'll choose the Main fixed dining.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

I call HAl’s dining too early and too late.  Even though I don’t like the time I do always choose early so I have evening entertainment choices and I like the familiarity and ease of seating fixed dining allows.   If I am going to be late I simply tell my wait staff the evening before or at breakfast. In those cases I eat at the Lido or specialty dining.  

• Like 2