POLL: How Will You Sail Now, With All of the Upcoming Package Changes?

Jeter02

How Will You Sail Now, With All of the Upcoming Package Changes?  

528 members have voted

1. 1. How Will You Sail Now, With All of the Upcoming Package Changes?

• Standard Fare
    • Princess Plus
    • Princess Premier
    • Adios! Seeking New Cruise Line
    • Farewell to Cruising Altogether (I'm Done with Cruising Altogether)
  2. 2. Will You Be Continuing to Sail the Way You Always Have? Or Will You Be Upgrading or Downgrading Your Package?

• Will Continue Sailing With the Same Package as Always
    • Upgrading My Package
    • Downgrading My Pacakge

Some food for thought looking at Princess Plus vs the other cruise lines. 

Holland America. The Princess Plus package at $60/day that includes Gratuities is cheaper than the HAL Have It All Plus package that also includes gratuities. Their standard Have It All package skips the gratuities so while that package might only be $50/day you have to add $16/day pp gratuities which makes that package $66/day. And Have It All / Plus don't include the add-ons Princess has rolled into Plus. 

Then you look at cruise lines like Carnival around $60/day pp just for a drinks package, Royal Caribbean can be upwards of $90/day pp just for a drinks package,

Celebrity is $75/day pp for the "All Included" for fewer things than Princess charges $60/day.

NCL is a bargain with their "Free At Sea" package running about $160/pp for a 7 day cruise that includes the drinks package, shore excursion discount, 1 specialty meal and WiFi, but their WiFi is limited to 150 minutes in that deal unless you upgrade, and you'll have to add another $16/day pp for the gratuities.

Disney doesn't have a drinks package but includes soft drinks in the cruise fare and you can purchase a wine package onboard.

MSC has a confusing litany of drinks packages (5 in all) but they're not a bad value for what they are and if you go Yacht Club the WiFi and drinks package is included. You can go YC for the same price as a balcony on many cruise lines. 

So when you really compare everyone else to Princess, the Plus package is easily one of the best values on the market today for what it offers the guest. You're going to pay for gratuities on board. The vast majority of guests are going to purchase WiFi for their cruise. That just leaves an additional $28/day pp that covers your all of your drinks up to $15 / Ocean Now delivery / room service fee / Alfredo's & Gigi's / desserts / Ocean Medallion delivery and a few more items. 

Every single time a cruise line rolls out a new concept, adds fees, or moves previously free services into a paid tier, Cruise Critic lights up with the negative posts. Then the cruise line goes on to post record bookings almost month after month. Cruising is evolving and guests today, myself included, would prefer to pay a reasonable price for items to be rolled into a package so I don't have to be nickeled and dimed to death on a ship. Rolling in Gratuities / WiFi / All drinks up to $15 is reasonable for me. 

It's one of the reasons I love sailing Virgin Voyages so much, I've yet to spend a dime once we get on their ships. I'd much prefer the see the cruise lines raise their base prices a little and roll more into the cruise fare like VV did. At the very least roll the soft drinks in. That can't cost any more than $5/guest to roll the soft drinks into the cruise fare. 

We've sailed 9 cruise lines so far, should be 10 or 11 by the end of 2024, and Princess Plus for me is a no brainer. Princess Premier is not for me, but it's an available package for those who want it. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

I'm enjoying watching all of the angst about what's been lost and what's costing more as the cruise lines move toward charging more for most every "extra".  I remind myself that I first and foremost decide where I want to cruise to.  Then I see which line will be available when I am.  Then I check the prices and loyalty perks.  Finally I make sure the ship has a real promenade.  Once I put the pencil to it, I go for the cruise that gives me the most bang for my standard cruising buck.

Still can't make the Plus or Premier work for me, but I'm glad that so many go for it and help subsidize my standard a la carte cruises.

I have a long cruise coming up, and what I'm saving a la carte versus Plus is enough to upgrade my flights from steerage to first class.

All depends on what's important, and after more than 50 years of air travel - lots of it for work when steerage was all they would pay for - sitting up front is important to me.

• Like 7

On 7/28/2023 at 10:03 AM, beg3yrs said:

We're booked on the Discovery in April of 2024 with the old Plus-50 package. Did some quick math to see if we should upgrade to the current package.

Cost to upgrade a ten day cruise for two people: 2 people x $10 per day per person x 10 days is $200.

Cost savings over ten days:

1) Two Ocean Now initial fees: $30

2) Room service by phone fee - say once per day over ten days: $50

3) Four casual dining meals at $15 each: $60

4) Don't eat the desserts.

5) Don't use the special exercise classes.

Total of $140 in savings versus a $200 cost. We could still have four more casual dining meals and break even or up to 12 more room service by phone orders. Seems like unless you're a big casual dining fan or are an obsessive phone order for room service type, it's not worth it to upgrade.  Am I missing something?

it my understanding that you will be charged only on your first order on the app.  Why not both persons in the cabin just use the one app to order your food?  My DH wouldn’t even know how to order on the app so, I do it all anyway.

Next, when we use the app to order, we never call on the phone.  All our orders are done via the app. 
Our $50 fare is on the Ruby and without a sit down pizza place.  We used to go to the GastroPub every so often but it was always too much food for the $18 cover charge.  Now they offer a la carte options .. yay!  So, we will probably get out for approx $10 each, now whereas before if was $18 each.  So now, that $15 fee for activating the Ocean Now feature on the app is erased with just one visit to the GastroPub.  

No way are we going to pay the fee to upgrade.  It makes no financial sense to do so.  
there’s a few cruises where I got the plus package and will upgrading to the premier package.  All of those cruises are on Royal class ships, which have many more dining options.  Thus, we will probably not even go to the MDR even once on those sailings.  Casual dining is more our style.  

I am super excited about the new additions to the packages.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruisingWalter said:

When you do the math, any guest who purchases a WiFi package without Princess Plus is only saving about $196 per cruise, per guest if you don't get Princess Plus.  Plus takes care of your Gratuities, WiFi and Drinks up to $15. Purchasing a WiFi package and paying your Gratuities runs around $32/day pp depending on your cabin. That means you're paying around $28/day pp for your drinks package.

28x7 = $196/pp or $392 per cabin for a one week cruise.

For those of you who will be purchasing a WiFi package without Plus, as long as you spend under $400 on your coffee/soda/wine/beer/cocktails/mocktails and don't purchase any of the items rolled into Plus, during a one week cruise, you'll come out ahead. If you spend over $400 on your next one-week cruise on those items, then Plus would be a consideration. 

For many of us the fixed cost is only $16 + $7.50 = $23.50, leaving $36.50/pp/day for the beverage portion.  Our spend, for one example, is not anything like $73/day on the ship.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

For many of us the fixed cost is only $16 + $7.50 = $23.50, leaving $36.50/pp/day for the beverage portion.  Our spend, for one example, is not anything like $73/day on the ship.

And some of us even less. We rarely get the ship wifi and if we do we only get one device between the 2 of us. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

When I see a statement like "for many of us" is it really "many of us" or primarily you and those you know. I'm not saying this to be mean or offensive, but just as someone who sees how wildly popular the Plus package has been for Princess. The fact that they've made these changes means they've had tremendous traction with the program.

Now if you're in the upper echelon of the Princess loyalty you're going to get some added perks so the Plus/Premier is not necessary. But if you're not, then you're paying $15/day per device for WiFi with the MedallionNet package + $16/day for Gratuities or $31/day. So that makes the drinks and all the extras $29/day pp or $58/day per couple and $406 for a 7 day cruise.

If you're not going to get WiFi at all, then the Plus/Premier packages would most likely not work in your favor. 

Edited by CruisingWalter
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

And some of us even less. We rarely get the ship wifi and if we do we only get one device between the 2 of us. 

Actually, we used to get the 4-device plan since it used to cost the same as 2X 1-device plans.  So, it was a luxury.  Now, not the way it is.  4-device plan is good to share if travel with friends or family as four can be on at once using 1 device each.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Let me know how that works out for you.🤣

After 40+ years, I think I can count on the loyalty, however, the implementation costs verses profit margin calculations are not good. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

No, you can hang your door tag for room service and that remains free of charge.  

For right now, but something tells me that those door hangers won't be around forever.

1 hour ago, CruisingWalter said:

If you're not going to get WiFi at all, then the Plus/Premier packages would most likely not work in your favor. 

That describes us. Wi-Fi is something we can easily live without. I can easily check my email for free in the Caribbean at any port. 

• Like 1

On 7/28/2023 at 11:37 AM, SB05 said:

We also get coffee only very early in the am and from what I am reading, we will now be charged $5.00

if you order it off the door hanging card that you put out the night before.... it's still free

On 7/28/2023 at 8:25 AM, Steelers36 said:

I checked off Standard without really thinking much about it.  I don't see us changing.  It comes down to drinks for the most part.  

We get Elite mini-bar which gives us 10 beers and 10 Perrier (after swapping).  We get the starter water package for ~$7 (last price I knew).  I BYOW and accept that I can be charged $20/bottle after the first two.

CA is $16/pp for us.  Medallion Net is $15 total (we get 50% off).  $47 per day in "fixed costs" versus $120 for Plus, leaves $73/day to spend on beverages and such.

I have never used the Ocean Now feature other than back when you got first drink free.  Long gone.  Also, in the rare occasion I might order a bar drink, my drink isn't on their menu and they don't (or didn't) have a custom order option to type in your own drink.  So, useless to me.  I just go to the bar and get what I want.  

We have never ordered room service that I can recall. 

I will accept that PCL is now going to charge us a nominal fee to eat at Alfredo's/Gigi's - not dissimilar to O'Malley's, Salty Dog.  We typically go to Alfredo's on a Sea Day for lunch and share a pizza and perhaps one other item.  So, we won't be spending $30 for two full meals anyway. 

That means Standard wins the day still for us.  If PCL removes that, well then we have to reconsider.

Has anyone confirmed if a call to room service to change out the mini bar or have room service deliver the pre-cruise "pre-ordered" items (soda package, water, liquor etc.) will incur the $5 room service charge?

I saw on another site that Movies Under the Stars will go to closed captioning and they will only give headsets to Plus and Premier guests.  It could have been a joke but after all of this it isn't too crazy.  Has anyone heard that this will be the case?  I can deal with everything else (although I think it is wrong to change things for poeple who are already booked and paid in full), but this would be really uncool.  Our son doesn't care for the shows, but LOVED watching football by the pool at night.  He also loved going back to the room and staying up late ordering room service while he watches movies.  I will pay the extra for this experience, but if they take away movies and football and I have to read the screen that will be my breaking point.  

• Haha 1

I find it interesting that on the Princess Cruises Social YouTube channel announcement that Carmin Roia, VP Sales really was pointing out that having the travel agents encourage the passengers pre-purchase the Plus or Premier packages would increase their 12% or 15% commissions.  That certainly is true.  Just as it will drive an increase in the passengers travel insurance costs, as the travel insurance is based on the total trip costs.  For a 7 day cruise that increase may not be significant, but once you get into the 16 - 25 day cruises with the older ages, those travel insurance costs will add up with the added Plus and Premier package costs.  So essentially you now are just insuring your wifi, drink and gratuities cost as an adder.  I am not sure that is a good value.  This is another "continuing example" how John Padgett is targeting new cruisers and doesn't really care what the Princess loyal cruiser thinks any longer.  I am hoping more cruise lines follow suit to MSC and do a type of loyalty matching.  Eventually even the "free laundry" won't be worth it.  I sure wish we had the likes of Alan Buckelew and Jan Swartz at the helm of Princess cruises.  They knew the balance to drive loyalty, revenue and growth.

10 minutes ago, jp2746 said:

I saw on another site that Movies Under the Stars will go to closed captioning and they will only give headsets to Plus and Premier guests.  It could have been a joke but after all of this it isn't too crazy.  Has anyone heard that this will be the case?  I can deal with everything else (although I think it is wrong to change things for poeple who are already booked and paid in full), but this would be really uncool.  Our son doesn't care for the shows, but LOVED watching football by the pool at night.  He also loved going back to the room and staying up late ordering room service while he watches movies.  I will pay the extra for this experience, but if they take away movies and football and I have to read the screen that will be my breaking point.  

I swear people are just coming up with crazy off the wall ideas that they're just making up. No this is not true whatsoever.

• Like 2

On the Caribbean Princess.  No more room service door hangers for breakfast and/or suite/elite canapés. 

On 7/30/2023 at 10:05 AM, Cruise Raider said:

No, you can hang your door tag for room service and that remains free of charge.  

1 hour ago, senior lady said:

if you order it off the door hanging card that you put out the night before.... it's still free

• Thanks 1

I think the main angst is that Princess positions itself as a "Premium" line.  When you compare it to inclusive lines like Virgin Voyages suddenly Princess starts looking like the  run of the mill "nickle and dime", extra for everything lines.

While VV does not offer a drink package per se, it gives fairly large OBC credits that you may spend as you like.

What torques me off is I already booked with Princess, the packages were not going to be a benefit to me, Princess changes the math to the point where I would only get to dine in the communal buffets without incurring additional charges.  Feels a little bait and switch to me and certainly nor "Premium".

I just think it goes against the brand positioning.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, cruiserdf said:

I find it interesting that on the Princess Cruises Social YouTube channel announcement that Carmin Roia, VP Sales really was pointing out that having the travel agents encourage the passengers pre-purchase the Plus or Premier packages would increase their 12% or 15% commissions.  That certainly is true.  Just as it will drive an increase in the passengers travel insurance costs, as the travel insurance is based on the total trip costs.  For a 7 day cruise that increase may not be significant, but once you get into the 16 - 25 day cruises with the older ages, those travel insurance costs will add up with the added Plus and Premier package costs.  So essentially you now are just insuring your wifi, drink and gratuities cost as an adder.  I am not sure that is a good value.  This is another "continuing example" how John Padgett is targeting new cruisers and doesn't really care what the Princess loyal cruiser thinks any longer.  I am hoping more cruise lines follow suit to MSC and do a type of loyalty matching.  Eventually even the "free laundry" won't be worth it.  I sure wish we had the likes of Alan Buckelew and Jan Swartz at the helm of Princess cruises.  They knew the balance to drive loyalty, revenue and growth.

Insurance through Princess is a group policy and age isn't a factor. As we celebrate anniversaries of our birth, cruise line insurance becomes more and more attractive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

On the Caribbean Princess.  No more room service door hangers for breakfast and/or suite/elite canapés. 

On our April Discovery Princess cruise, they ended the elite canapés door hanger.  It moved to "one size fits ALL".  All elites got the same canapés, no selection and the same selection (poor) every formal night.  Delivery time was determined by room service.  The breakfast door hanger was still available at that time.

17 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Insurance through Princess is a group policy and age isn't a factor. As we celebrate anniversaries of our birth, cruise line insurance becomes more and more attractive.

Unfortunately the cruise line coverage hasn't been our coverage of choice for many different reasons.  Even with the negative age impact, Allianz continues to be our travel insurance of choice. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruiserdf said:

On our April Discovery Princess cruise, they ended the elite canapés door hanger.  It moved to "one size fits ALL".  All elites got the same canapés, no selection and the same selection (poor) every formal night.  Delivery time was determined by room service.  The breakfast door hanger was still available at that time.

I miss my chocolate strawberries, long remove.  I miss my profiteroles.  The canapés are such a waste.  

• Like 1

We have a cruise in late August next year on the Sun Princess. We booked it as one continuous cruise, but it’s available to book as three separate cruises. We have the Plus Package. Will our benefits such as casual dining, etc. reset?