Changes to Princess Plus, room service fees, Alfredo's and others. Fee changes. Etc

LMaxwell

2 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Sure  it does go into a pool.  But the pool must be fully distributed to employees that are eligible for the pool.

Exactly how the pool is allocated is not made public and accounting standards does not require it to be.  Only that the pool is fully distributed to employees.

Princess went to the pool across the fleet a number of years ago when there was a problem with a disparity in tip amount between different ship locations.  For example routes out of the UK had lower totals than cruises out of home ports in the US.  This made crew members assigned to certain ships/routes less happy than others.  As a result for this reason and others they went to a fleet wide system, removing the variance between itineraries.

Yes, a pool. 

Try asking the 2 - 4 staffers that provide you direct, personalized service what method they prefer, and why, and they may give you some very enlightening information. 

After our next cruise in August, I intend to send Princess a big thank you for the changes ...

... because it is giving us a good reason to check out other cruise lines rather than remaining loyal to Princess.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

I tested the ocean now feature in the beginning when it first came out a few times. Never again have I used it, as my orders either showed up 2 hrs later, or better yet never showed up or constantly be randomly cancelled. When I'm on vacation, yes I'm lazy, but I'm not that lazy to get what I need personally. The extra steps are good. 

On the other hand it has worked quite well when we have used it.  The orders have been delivered fairly promptly.  For example about 20 minutes for a burger and fried to be delivered to Holly would pool area on Majestic.

Have noticed that it works better on some ships than others.  For example if using it to order coffee (blended mocha) while setting in the Piazza, have noticed on some ships the order goes to the IC and delivered pretty quickly from the normal IC waitstaff.  On other ships the order seems to have be sent to room service and the order is delivered by room service staff.

41 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Of course the webinar kept mentioning ordering room service "on the phone". I can't imagine using such a clunky method when it's so simple to do on the TV. One gets the feeling that these PR folks don't really cruise on Princess ships.

It is really simple to order by phone. Every time I have been quarantined for Covid I ordered all my meals over the phone by calling service. Order usually cam within 30 minutes 

In all of the slides & verbally Carmen & Marsha repeatedly said Plus was $60 and Premier was $80 without disclosing that an 18% tip would be added…$76.69 and $100.29…so much for truth in advertising. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Anybody else remember when they tried to Charge $10 pp to eat at Alfredo’s back when the Royal was brand new? It included one glass of wine, but everybody was so upset with the surcharge that Princess had to rescind the fee  within a week or two,  and go back to the old way of complementary dining. 
my interpretation is they will try to charge $14.99 to dine at Alfredo’s and if that’s the case we’re done with Princess. 
we’re not big drinkers and would not be inclined to pay for the plus package, whittled   away our hard earned benefits,

, yes, i get that they lost tons of money during the shut down and that they need to look at other ways of creating revenue but having to pay for specialty desserts,  and now what was formerly free , it’s just not going over well with me. And now I’m hearing that it cost five dollars for room service, too? I prefer they just jack up the price of the fare  for everyone and pretend like everything’s included for free. 
I realize that it is a business and they need to make money, but we customers also have our personal limits. 
Lately, the princess press releases are all starting to read like some thing from The Onion. 

Edited by 4cats4me
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Yes, a pool. 

Try asking the 2 - 4 staffers that provide you direct, personalized service what method they prefer, and why, and they may give you some very enlightening information. 

I have usually every cruise.  Including some very long term employees that I have known for years. The ones that understand the impact of the options tend to like it better.   

One can go into any business and find some that do not like the system they are paid under.   After all the grass is always greener on the other side of the hill.  Those that were on cruises out of the US liked the direct tip system, until they were assigned to a UK ship, then their opinion changed.

Edited by ldtr

10 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

And with Dine My Way making having the same waitstaff nightly difficult, they likely get fewer extra cash tips at end of a cruise with DMY.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, CynCyn said:

The only thing that was free that isn’t anymore is Alfredo’s/GiGi’s.  Lido deck still free.  All of the other venues have always had a cost.

my not be a popular opinion, but they had to do something to slow down the room service orders.  I waited 1.5 hours one night and was order #1200.  They can’t hire enough crew, or build a kitchen large enough, to handle that number of orders .

I was only talking about Alfredo's. But using Ocean Now to order bevs or food while at pool, in lounges, in theater, or anywhere else, isn't free anymore either. If you want to order something and you don't have a Plus or Premier package, you have to pay a $15 one-time fee. So much for the "Medallion Class Experience".

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

Anybody else remember when they tried to Charge $10 pp to eat at Alfredo’s back when the Royal was brand new? It included one glass of wine, but everybody was so upset with the surcharge that Princess had to rescind the fee  within a week or two,  and go back to the old way of complementary dining. 
my interpretation is they will try to charge $14.99 to dine at Alfredo’s and if that’s the case we’re done with Princess. 
we’re not big drinkers and would not be inclined to pay for the plus package with all the way our hard earned benefits, yes I get that they lost tons of money during the shut down and that they need to look at other ways of creating revenue but having to pay for specialty desserts and now what was formerly free it’s just not going over well with me. And now I’m hearing that it cost five dollars for room service, too? I prefer they just jack up the price of the fair for everyone and pretend like everything’s included for free. 
I realize that it is a business and they need to make money, but we customers also have our personal limits. 

Problem is that it is easier to raise onboard changes than overall fares.  Those that are not price sensitive will buy packages.  For those that are price sensitive the basic fare is the post impactful price.

47 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

Yeeesss! Completely thought of this the whole time while I was listening! It's like when the educational departments and school boards make executive decisions, that are unrealistic. People who have zero experience in the classroom , telling you how to run a classroom. Same difference as this. Hahaha

Of course they sail, fully comped. 

• Haha 1

I don’t know if this is a stupid question. Can you just go up to the bar and order a drink? Or is everything done via apps now? I have no idea why I would want to order a coffee on an app then wait whilst someone tries to find me, by which time it’s probably cold.

• Like 2

Just now, Bedruthen said:

I don’t know if this is a stupid question. Can you just go up to the bar and order a drink? Or is everything done via apps now? I have no idea why I would want to order a coffee on an app then wait whilst someone tries to find me, by which time it’s probably cold.

Sitting at Movies Under the Stars or Trivia?

1 minute ago, Bedruthen said:

Yes!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Soooo ---- I can still order Elite Tea w/o a fee as that can only be done on the phone?? Hope someone tries that .... 

OTOH there were 432 individual orders of hamburgers, hotdogs, and fries PER HOUR on the 5/27-6/1/23 LA voyage to ppl who kept moving causing delays of up to 12 hrs until runners were told to either just leave it in the person's room (if steward nearby) or at their door. Bet that'll stop 

Good question.  That’s RS, but it is an elite benefit.  🤔 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bedruthen said:

So are there no waiters wandering around to take orders at the venues any more?. Sorry if I sound ignorant but haven’t cruised with Princess for over 10 years.

They still walk around. However up by the pool area it's not quite like that like I'm the old days. There seems to be fewer servers taking drink orders up by there.  No worries these are not silly questions. You're fine 😊

Edited by Jeter02
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Hope so.  Kinda tired waiting over an hour with a pager to be seated at Gigis.

Just wait until all the plus/premiere people want to go there to "get their money's worth", like they do for those ice cream desserts (because they're included 😏)

7 minutes ago, Bedruthen said:

So are there no waiters wandering around to take orders at the venues any more?. Sorry if I sound ignorant but haven’t cruised with Princess for over 10 years.

There were, especially in the first day, at the smaller inside bar areas. We never received any orders on the medallion, by the way. They would either suddenly be canceled or never show up. We started ordering for ourselves at less crowded bars.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Waiting for this now:

Burger at the trident grill (or whatever it's called now)- $8

Slice of Pizza - $6

Entrance to the buffet - $9

You may be right on this in the long run, but that's not what I've been expecting to happen sometime down the road. I've thought for years that eventually the buffet would be the only meal option included in the cabin price. We shall see.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

In all of the slides & verbally Carmen & Marsha repeatedly said Plus was $60 and Premier was $80 without disclosing that an 18% tip would be added…$76.69 and $100.29…so much for truth in advertising. 🙄

Where are you getting this idea?  The packages are flat-rate and inclusive of applicable gratuities.  Otherwise, the price goes up and they would continue to use an even number.  I think you are confusing the standalone drink packages.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

we’re not big drinkers and would not be inclined to pay for the plus package, whittled   away our hard earned benefits,

, yes, i get that they lost tons of money during the shut down and that they need to look at other ways of creating revenue but having to pay for specialty desserts,  and now what was formerly free , it’s just not going over well with me. And now I’m hearing that it cost five dollars for room service, too? I prefer they just jack up the price of the fare  for everyone and pretend like everything’s included for free. 
Lately, the princess press releases are all starting to read like some thing from The Onion. 

I don't think they care. It's not about getting our $14.99. It's about getting us to buy a package.  Many do so, again, they don't care about us standard fare folk.

• Like 1

Just now, cali-croozer said:

I don't think they care. It's not about getting our $14.99. It's about getting us to buy a package.  Many do so, again, they don't care about us standard fare folk.

It’s obvious they couldn’t care less.  But what corporate needs to know is catering to an older princess demographic, we are not the ones likely to buy their stupid packages. Yeah yeah I know we’re all gonna die off only to be supplanted by a younger group who they think will buy all these packages but that younger group will also age out eventually. 
as I indicated earlier, I don’t care at this point they can start charging $100 per person in a specialty restaurant because we’re done

• Like 6