Changes to Princess Plus, room service fees, Alfredo's and others. Fee changes. Etc

LMaxwell

4 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

How was this clarified and by whom please?  I was presuming that the Ocean Now would not include cabin delivery as a "locate me" place because of the RS charge.

If it does, I guess the guest needs to decide how often they might use the Ocean Now and then divide that into the $15 fee and see what the approx cost is per usage.

saw it a few places (screenshots).

what gets me is that this isn’t just about food. You order towels through ocean now as well, which you can no longer use unless you pay the $15. I suppose you can just ask your stateroom attendant when you see them though. 

IMG_0775.jpeg

IMG_0774.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

It doesn't matter what ship it is.  There are separate a la carte items and a "full meal" option which is the $15 amount.  So, answer is yes.

when/has that/those menus been released?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bugalugsnz said:

For those of us who’ve paid Standard for upcoming cruises the point is we won’t get what we paid for. We’ll get less. 

And the same holds true for those that paid the extra 60 a day for Plus.  We now get to go to Gigi's/Alfredos a total of two times per 7 day as well as two times per 14 day cruise.  Since we would maybe go four times per week, that's an extra 60 bucks on the 7 day and 180 on the 14 day.  So, since we currently have 2 7's and 3 14's booked, that's an extra 660.00 into Princess's coffers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Neil_c said:

Yes the same as us also booked on Regal in September. However under this new scheme does this change?

The change in check-in process with Green and Blue was announced previously and is a whole separate thing from the cruise packages and charging for casual dining venues.  According to the initial announcement, guests will only be in Green Lane if they have Medallion in hand.  But I answered similar thing just above and read more there.

1 hour ago, whitecap said:

Don't like the high prices a store has started charging, go somewhere else or find another alternative.  If enough people do the same, that store sees a drop in profit and will change back.  Don't just complain about it, then book.  Don't book, don't order room service, don't go to these enhanced dinning venues and when they see that no one is participating, things will change. ...

Next up:  Charge to enter the theatre; No more free laundry for Elite; A charge to enter the Elite Lounge.  Loyalty goes both ways and should it become a one way street, then loyalty no longer exist.   Just my two cents!!!

Agree!  On our RC cruise, we did not purchase the horrendously expensive drink package.  It was around $75 pp per day.  I "gifted" 2 small bottles of Absolute vodka pre-cruise to our cabin and brought 4 bottles of wine.  It was more than enough to last through our 7 day cruise. I do not see why ppl would be interested in that drink package for a 7 day cruise with 6 port days.  We ate a meal at every port with a glass or two of wine and really did not spend that much day time on the ship.

23 minutes ago, Bollycats said:

For those who saw the presentation, what did they say about Planks and Steamers? I noticed they are listed under the casual dining options but have not been available on the ships since before COVID. Any news of when they are opening up?

Nothing was said about holding those dining events, but you can see how they are covered if/when they do return.  It is likely in the plan and I am not sure if I read something about one or both being tried on a ship recently.  Anyway, nothing was addressed on specific restaurants other than Alfredo's because that is the BIG change since it was free and now will have a cost for menu items.  All other casual dining venues remain as they were - free or for a fee.

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

Don't jump to no-basis conclusions.

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I really really doubt that.

In reading through most of the post on this thread, some from individuals who, one way or another, experienced the webinar, there appears to be much confusion and or unanswered questions.  Like, what does the $14.95 cover, anywhere on the ship delivery except stateroom or anywhere you are regardless?  Will the "new and improved" drink packages add ons be given to those already booked and or paid for the older packages?  Once again, as with several previous announcements over the last year or so, Princess has failed to communicate thoroughly with passengers.  As was mentioned in a prior post, they must believe that we are stupid or non-caring or not able to blow the fog away and see it for what it really is.  Now, I for one, only grad gi ated from 3d grade, but by taken my shoes off, I can add and subtracted.  Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, well, I ain't gonna let you fool me the second time.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

They did not make any mentioning of the restart of Planks and Steamers. They don't need to, because the more they have listed under casual dining (operational or not), the more enticing the package will look. It's like all the other things they're trying to do to make things look enticing but as many have said they're trying to entice you with things that have always been free.

Well, let's be honest.  Some of the casual dining locations already have charges for food and some were free.  The only change is Alfredo's/Gigi's where it was free and now incurs a fee for all food items (menu pricing TBA). 

The second impact is they will give free food to Plus package twice per voyage (a bad way to do it since quite unfair for longer voyages versus short ones).  And Premier gets unlimited. 

So, both Standard and Plus are impacted by the new policy to charge for Alfredo's and Gigi's.  That is essentially what this boils down to.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, voljeep said:

when/has that/those menus been released?

Why do you think that ship will be different, regardless of the menus?  For casual dining venues we know of, aren't the menus consistent across the fleet?  I think so.  

• Haha 1

Just now, Steelers36 said:

Why do you think that ship will be different, regardless of the menus?  For casual dining venues we know of, aren't the menus consistent across the fleet?  I think so.  

Yes they are consistent.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CanadianCruiser21 said:

what gets me is that this isn’t just about food. You order towels through ocean now as well, which you can no longer use unless you pay the $15. I suppose you can just ask your stateroom attendant when you see them though. 

IMG_0775.jpeg

IMG_0774.jpeg

And yet they don't mention about room service through the TV inquiring that $5 fee. Honestly I feel real bad what's to come get services way with all these changes. I can only imagine the amount of people who will be arguing with them.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CanadianCruiser21 said:

IMG_0775.jpeg

IMG_0774.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Well maybe not so much.  Could be open to being clarified further I suppose.

Okay.  Your post has made it quite clear that guest can elect the one-time $15 service fee and it will cover all Ocean Now deliveries to any location, including the cabin.  Just don't pick up the phone to order anything or they will hit you for another $5.  IMO, ordering via TV for delivery equates to Ocean Now and is not using the phone, so no $5 per usage fee - falls under the $15 ON fee.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

And the same holds true for those that paid the extra 60 a day for Plus.  We now get to go to Gigi's/Alfredos a total of two times per 7 day as well as two times per 14 day cruise.  Since we would maybe go four times per week, that's an extra 60 bucks on the 7 day and 180 on the 14 day.  So, since we currently have 2 7's and 3 14's booked, that's an extra 660.00 into Princess's coffers.

I get you.  However, when we go to Alfredo's for lunch, we typically share a pizza and maybe one other item.  So, a la carte is fine since we won't be having full meals at $15/pp.

ETA:  The other rub for guests is that if you have the package and only eat as I described above, you don't get the $15/pp value and you won't be carrying a credit balance to use the next visit.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Thrak said:

Yes, unless they either lied or misspoke in the webinar I am sure. I have 2 cruises booked with the Plus 50. I am no longer eligible for free room service or free "find me" delivery of drinks, etc. Princess promised one thing and then changed their mind and took it away. When we agree to the passage contract we acknowledge that they have the "right" to do this. Like it? No. Can change it? No. Life has smacked me upside the head many times. Nothing to be done about it.

@Thrak - Can I ask what your Statement or invoice from Princess says to indicate Plus 50.

The reason I'm asking is that we originally booked a cruise (the 32 day Sapphire in Oct) with the Plus 50 but we re-priced it before final payment and now my "Paid in Full" page from the TA just says Princess Plus. So I'm wondering if I somehow got upgraded with the reprice.

(FWIW - we used the Medallion delivery feature on our last cruise a decent amount and it always worked great so I was looking forward to that again)

14 minutes ago, JLC0912 said:

I do not see why ppl would be interested in that drink package for a 7 day cruise with 6 port days. 

Not everybody cruises for the ports.  When you have cruised the Caribbean over 40 times, the ship is usually the destination and you may only get off one day for a couple of hours or possibly not at all. But I will agree with you that the Dynamic Pricing policy of RCI is ridiculous.

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

Okay.  Your post has made it quite clear that guest can elect the one-time $15 service fee and it will cover all Ocean Now deliveries to any location, including the cabin.  Just don't pick up the phone to order anything or they will hit you for another $5.  IMO, ordering via TV for delivery equates to Ocean Now and is not using the phone, so no $5 per usage fee - falls under the $15 ON fee.

They will get you one way or another. So no matter how you decide to what are your room service be prepared for the $5 fee if you are standard.

Just curious, has anyone ever asked a crew member what the percentage of people on board who book with premiere? I'd be very curious to know if it's a decent amount or not who opt for that package.

• Like 1

"These expanded enhancements demonstrate the cruise line’s focus on providing unmatched service and value for guests. "

Not only do Plus pkg buyers get less "VALUE" since they no longer get unlimited meals at Alfredo's, but they and everyone else will likely get some degree of reduced service in the main dining room. The people who used no longer go to ALfred's because of the surcharge will likely now be in the main dining room.   This will put extra strain on the DR staff and result in NOT "providing unmatched service."

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chamima said:

@Thrak - Can I ask what your Statement or invoice from Princess says to indicate Plus 50.

The reason I'm asking is that we originally booked a cruise (the 32 day Sapphire in Oct) with the Plus 50 but we re-priced it before final payment and now my "Paid in Full" page from the TA just says Princess Plus. So I'm wondering if I somehow got upgraded with the reprice.

(FWIW - we used the Medallion delivery feature on our last cruise a decent amount and it always worked great so I was looking forward to that again)

It certainly appears though you are repriced to the $60 Plus now.  Look at your Travel Summary and see what is included.  That will tell you.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

The second impact is they will give free food to Plus package twice per voyage (a bad way to do it since quite unfair for longer voyages versus short ones).  And Premier gets unlimited. 

Only if you’ve paid the new rates because those Plus packages paid for prior to Dec won’t qualify for 2 visits to Alfredo’s, according to the information posted from the webinar.

Just now, SteveTrafford said:

Does anybody know if the $14.99 charge is per passenger or per cabin?

I cant see anywhere where it says either way.

It's per guest using the service.  An interesting thing is that MANY posters here report ordering two drinks - one for each partner in the cabin - and NP with that.  If you always have the same person ordering and the other never does, it might dodge a second $15 charge as long as the drinks are sorted out and not hitting 15 limit on one person.  This will be something to be observed as this rolls out and folks report back here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Not everybody cruises for the ports.  When you have cruised the Caribbean over 40 times, the ship is usually the destination and you may only get off one day for a couple of hours or possibly not at all. But I will agree with you that the Dynamic Pricing policy of RCI is ridiculous.

I should have mentioned in my post it was a Mediterranean cruise to Europe.  I agree with considering a drink pkg for the Caribbean- just not for other places.  I would still have a hard time forking over that money, even for a Caribbean cruise though.  I told my husband I am not interested in another Caribbean cruise, regardless of how nice the ship is.

6 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

Just curious, has anyone ever asked a crew member what the percentage of people on board who book with premiere? I'd be very curious to know if it's a decent amount or not who opt for that package.

Could be private info as it might be useful to competitors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1