Drinking problem

Wblotner

Besides trying to earn back all their Covid losses quickly as a stockholder I’m not in agreement with this continual push to bundles. What if you’re not supposed to have alcohol or are an alcoholic. None of the packages make sense if you drink zero alcoholic drinks. Why not come up with a non alcohol package? 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Zero Alcohol Package

Enjoy premium and specialty coffees and teas along with sodas, fresh juices and healthy smoothies (juice bar), hot chocolate, "zero-proof" mocktails, bottled water, San Pellegrino, Evian and Red Bull Energy Drinks througout your entire cruise with this zero-alcohol beverage package.

The Zero-Alcohol Drink Package is $29.99 USD* per person, per day.

Available for purchase on board or for booked guests in Cruise Personalizer.

• Like 2

Once you get to Elite, there's nothing wrong with going a la carte, unless you need to drink a lot of alcohol to enjoy the cruise.

Elite = free mini bar setup, half price wifi, discounted drinks in the P&E lounge.

I couple the Elite benefits with some OBC and a post-cruise cash back gift card  from my TA, and it makes more sense for me to go a la cate - especially since She Who Must Be Obeyed is a teetotaler and both people in a cabin must purchase the packages.

Edited by SargassoPirate
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, david63 said:

Just make the cruises all inclusive and all such problems go away.

No because the prices would skyrocket and people who don’t drink would complain that they are subsidizing the drinkers 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

The cruise lines did not create the drink/all inclusive packages for the convenience of the passengers.

It's to make money and they found that out with the drink packages, otherwise they would have discontinued them.

That's why you have to get them for the duration of the cruise, no picking and choosing which days you want it.

They know that there a lot of people that don't drink alcohol for various reasons but there's a reason they did not create an all inclusive package for them. Drinks are the money maker.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Once you get to Elite, there's nothing wrong with going a la carte, unless you need to drink a lot of alcohol to enjoy the cruise.

Elite = free mini bar setup, half price wifi, discounted drinks in the P&E lounge.

I couple the Elite benefits with some OBC and a post-cruise cash back gift card  from my TA, and it makes more sense for me to go a la cate - especially since She Who Must Be Obeyed is a teetotaler and both people in a cabin must purchase the packages.

There is of course nothing wrong with not getting a package, but finding value is all very individual and doesn’t require drinking “a lot” of alcohol.

For me, 2 glasses of wine ($36) and a bottle of Pellegrino at dinner($3) and one coffee a day ($5 if I remember correctly) makes the Plus Package well worth it even as an Elite.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I think you could save some typing and go with SWMBO and we'd all understand it by now.  😁😇

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Sarnia 432 said:

I think the OP is referring to the packages with alcohol, that include wifi, gratuities, specialty dining etc.  There is no equivalent for non-drinkers.

THIS!

ETA:  Based on the fact that the standalone alcohol packages are well-inflated in price, I would say that a Zero/Minus package (Standard, Zero, Plus, Premium) should be priced at $40 - $45/pp/day.  But you know, we still might not go with that package.

PS - I realize the marketing people would never name such a package Zero or Minus.

Edited by Steelers36

I'm sure they've done their studies and found that such a package would cannibalize their alcohol packages and reduce overall revenue.

The average person would take such a package and pay ala carte for an occasional drink. 

Only cruisers who consume alcohol like Joey Chestnut downs hot dogs would purchase an alcohol package.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

We're elite. Seldom drink so the free mini bar is more than adequate. I put a pencil to it. Neither plus nor premier is cost effective for us. Obviously for many it does make sense, but not even close for us. I loved being able to swap our mini bar for the 2 coffee pkgs, but no need to go down that sad, disappointing road. 😭

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, roadster08 said:

I'm sure they've done their studies and found that such a package would cannibalize their alcohol packages and reduce overall revenue.

The average person would take such a package and pay ala carte for an occasional drink. 

Only cruisers who consume alcohol like Joey Chestnut downs hot dogs would purchase an alcohol package.

It seems like non drinkers feel free to mock those of us who enjoy a drink or 8. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

48 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

There is of course nothing wrong with not getting a package, but finding value is all very individual and doesn’t require drinking “a lot” of alcohol.

For me, 2 glasses of wine ($36) and a bottle of Pellegrino at dinner($3) and one coffee a day ($5 if I remember correctly) makes the Plus Package well worth it even as an Elite.  

Princess must just love people such as yourself.

You buy an expensive package and hardly use it. 😁 LOL

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Princess must just love people such as yourself.

You buy an expensive package and hardly use it. 😁 LOL

Most of us do not understand why you keep harping on this train of argument.

With respect, if a guest is going to be ordering drinks that would take their daily spend over $60/pp (including CA and Internet), then it doesn't matter whether that is three of this or five of that.  The point is the guest is spending less with the package than they would a la carte.  And yet you seem to think they ought to be pushing 15 drinks in order to make sense of it.  

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Most of us do not understand why you keep harping on this train of argument.

With respect, if a guest is going to be ordering drinks that would take their daily spend over $60/pp (including CA and Internet), then it doesn't matter whether that is three of this or five of that.  The point is the guest is spending less with the package than they would a la carte.  And yet you seem to think they ought to be pushing 15 drinks in order to make sense of it.  

I probably should know but I can't remember-what is CA? Thanks. 😊

1 hour ago, roadster08 said:

I think you are mistaken. If the price difference between Zero Alcohol and Plus is $20 or $30, it only takes two drinks to come out ahead.  

1 hour ago, roadster08 said:

No idea who Joey Chestnut, is but how about I drink my wine and subsidise those who eat meat and desserts. Or how about I don't worry about what anyone else on the ship wants to eat or drink and just enjoy my holiday.

• Like 17

3 minutes ago, Catchum said:

No idea who Joey Chestnut, is but how about I drink my wine and subsidise those who eat meat and desserts. Or how about I don't worry about what anyone else on the ship wants to eat or drink and just enjoy my holiday.

It's an American thing.  On 4th of July, this guy can down more Nathan's Hot Dog's in 10 minutes than anyone else.  Multi-year champion.

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

It's an American thing.  On 4th of July, this guy can down more Nathan's Hot Dog's in 10 minutes than anyone else.  Multi-year champion.

Ok as a not American I'll stick to my wine with dinner and a night cap and risk the judgemental looks. Enjoy your hot dogs.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, roadster08 said:

I don’t think Joey stops at 15. 

• Haha 4