Have It All purchased on board?

GatorMomInNC

So I booked a HAL Alaska Cruise, solo, for a good price, on a whim.  This was not a vacation I budgeted for, and I am traveling solo and feeling guilty since my family can't go.  So I decided not to spend the extra $$ for the HIA...and now I am kicking myself!  I already would have used the $100 excursion, and I figure even with just coffee and one or two drinks a day I would probably have been better off with the HIA.   

My question is, can you purchase the HIA on the ship?  Or just the drink packages? I tried to do it on the website and it doesn't show a price and just spins when I click on it.  The cost of the drink package alone is about what it would have been to get the HIA, so I don't want to do that. 

Do they ever offer any discounts on drink package when you board?  I was just on this same ship (Noordam) for 2 weeks earlier this year but I had the HIA so didn't pay attention to whether they were selling it on board.  

I think I will be stuck with just adding GCs from AARP to my account and buying the non-alcohol drink package and then a drink or two a day and hope I don't spend that much.   I think I will be okay without the wi-fi - all of our stops are in Alaska so I can use my phone at port - but it would have been nice to get it basically free. 

Sorry, but no you can’t add HIA on board.  It has to be done pre-cruise.  If the website is not co-operating I would call and see if it can still be added for you.  Price on the website is good and solos don’t get dinged with double charges 😊 

You can buy the beverage packages on board.  They are not discounted.  They are actually cheaper if you pre-purchase them (or were the last time I looked).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GatorMomInNC said:

You know, I booked through a travel agent, so maybe that is the issue.  I will call them on Monday and see what they say. 

Your TA will be able to get it for you.

Website is always finicky

Doesn't matter if you booked through TA or PIF at time of booking - the HIA price just sometimes doesn't show. You will have to call in or have your TA do it.

No, you cannot add HIA once onboard and also cannot add it (or anything) within 3 days of sai!ing. Drink packages can be purchased first 2 days onboard and are higher than if you purchase in advance.

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GatorMomInNC said:

You know, I booked through a travel agent, so maybe that is the issue.  I will call them on Monday and see what they say. 

I use a TA and didn’t have to use them to get HIA added on one sailing.  I did have to call IIRC.

Paying in full should not be an issue - you are far enough away from your sailing date.

• Like 2

You can add HIA or anything else for that matter, until 3-4 days before sailing.

You can do it yourself from the website. Log in. Click on my account and then your cruise booking #.

You should be on a page that says Welcome & your name. On the left side of the screen you will see a link to buy  packages. HIA will be under packages.

Screenshot_20230730-122537_1.png

Thanks everyone for your input.  I was unable to purchase it online (or do just about anything, I think that is an issue with their website, has been incredibly frustrating to use lately).  But I called, added the HIA, rebooked my shore excursion to get the $100 credit, so the HIA only ended up costing (after the shorex credit) $250 for the internet, drinks and one specialty dining.  I think that I will get my money's worth with that....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, GatorMomInNC said:

Thanks everyone for your input.  I was unable to purchase it online (or do just about anything, I think that is an issue with their website, has been incredibly frustrating to use lately).  But I called, added the HIA, rebooked my shore excursion to get the $100 credit, so the HIA only ended up costing (after the shorex credit) $250 for the internet, drinks and one specialty dining.  I think that I will get my money's worth with that....

Yippee.  So glad to hear you succeeded 👏 👏 👏 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GatorMomInNC said:

Congrats! I think the math was certainly in your favor. I have not been able to add via app or online to any of my current bookings. 2 of them, when I call in, I'm told are not eligible. 

Usually when I don't see a price for the HIA package  (just a $), I know it's not going to let me add it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Congrats! I think the math was certainly in your favor. I have not been able to add via app or online to any of my current bookings. 2 of them, when I call in, I'm told are not eligible. 

Usually when I don't see a price for the HIA package  (just a $), I know it's not going to let me add it.

Wow!! That is what I was seeing (just $) so I am glad I was able to add it when I called in!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, electro said:

I have also booked a solo cruise on a whim.

Does anyone know if the HIA ever goes below $65 CAD?

No, never seen it.  It’s a good exchange rate with the current market.  If it appeals I would do it before the contract is up and the pricing changes.  (HAL buy future contracts which enables them to “hold” pricing and if get changed every 3-5 months)

At least we solos don’t get charged double for it like our rooms 😊 😉 

• Like 4

We just boarded the Nieuw Statendam and in our room was a flyer that you can buy the HIA package on board. It is $60 per person per day not including gratuities for staff. It says you need to go to guest services before 9 PM to put it on your account so maybe there is a change!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/30/2023 at 10:41 AM, Mary229 said:

I have bought HIA up to a few days before the cruise by phone. Being me, I had to negotiate the price😉

How do you negotiate the price of the HIA? Do you just ask your PCC or is there a special number to call?

6 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

being me, I just ask. Who knows what they have available. 

but who do you ask? your PCC, do you use a travel agent or just the general Hal costumer service agent?

Thanks

I have another HIA query.

HIA is included in our package and we have 3 excursions.

We dont go until november but want to book in case they fill up.

Question is  how/ when is the HIA credit applied?

As far as I can tell when booking an excursion it says your credit card will be

charged straight away.   

I have not actually tried a dummy excursion booking so it may be obvious

when I get in there but dont want to book something and find they only apply the credit

if booked on board.( it is less than the $100 so I know we will only get say $80   but does it get credited to the on Board account or the credit card?   and if the latter presume not until after the cruise.

TIA