Comparison of Princess Platinum and Elite Benefits Between 2019 and today

Guest ldtr

Since many make claims that the benefits have all gone away or are frequently being eroded I put together a comparison of exactly what Platinum benefits were offered in 2019 until today.  Most of the benefit changes occurred after 2019.  This will take a couple of posts to present.

Platinum and Elite Benefits in 2019

PLATINUM

• Priority check-in at embarkation: Platinum members plus anyone traveling with you in the same stateroom can go right to the Priority Check-In desk.

• Platinum Members, along with everyone in the same stateroom, can use the Platinum Disembarkation Lounge

• Each Platinum member receives a complimentary Internet package that can be used in the Internet Café or on your own device. (Voyages 7 days or less, 150 minutes; Voyages 8-20 days, 250 minutes; Voyages 21+ days, 500 minutes.)

ELITE

• Elite members can preview and book cruises before the general public

• Priority tender embarkation

• Priority disembarkation

• Complimentary shoe polishing service, upon request.

• Free laundry and professional cleaning services: just let your steward know!

• Complimentary mini bar set up: you’ll receive a selection of liquors, soft drinks, beer, still and sparkling water in your stateroom.

• Upon request, a complimentary selection of canapés will be delivered to your stateroom on formal nights. (This can be ordered by completing the card in your stateroom and hanging it on your door the night prior.)

• Complimentary afternoon tea may be served in your stateroom. (Request this via room service at least six hours prior.)

• No matter what kind of stateroom you’re in, the bathroom will be stocked with the upgraded amenities normally reserved only for Suite guests.

• 10% discount in the onboard shops

• Complimentary Grapevine Wine Tasting: this popular event usually costs $25 per person, and is not covered by any drink packages.

Direct Comparison

Benefits added Since 2019

10% Off Lotus Spa Treatments

10% Off Excursions

Early Access to Dine My Way Reservations

Platinum/Elite Lounge

Complimentary Destination Selection

10% off photos in the photo Gallery

Items that have remained the same (there may be some changes in process and some may be less useful due to the number of people with same benefit)

2019 Elite members can preview and book cruises before the general public

2023 Early access to new Itineraries

2019 Priority tender embarkation

2023 Priority Ship to Shore water shuttle embarkation

2019 Priority Disembarkation

2019 Platinum Members, along with everyone in the same stateroom, can use the Platinum Disembarkation Lounge

2023 Priority Disembarkation

2019 Free Laundry and Profession Cleaning Services

2019 Shoe Polishing

2023 Complementary Laundry Services and Shoe Polishing

2019 Complimentary mini bar set up: you’ll receive a selection of liquors, soft drinks, beer, still and sparkling water in your stateroom.

2023 Complimentary mini bar set up

2019 Upon request, a complimentary selection of canapés will be delivered to your stateroom on formal nights. (This can be ordered by completing the card in your stateroom and hanging it on your door the night prior.)

2023 Deluxe canape selection on formal nights

2019 Complimentary afternoon tea may be served in your stateroom. (Request this via room service at least six hours prior.)

2023 Complimentary Afternoon tea in Stateroom

2019 Complimentary Grapevine Wine Tasting

2023 Complimentary Grapevine Wine Tasting Event

Those that have undergone significant Change since 2019

Internet

2019 Each Platinum member receives a complimentary Internet package that can be used in the Internet Café or on your own device. (Voyages 7 days or less, 150 minutes; Voyages 8-20 days, 250 minutes; Voyages 21+ days, 500 minutes.)

2023 50% off Medallion Net Package

10% retail discount (change is discount not valid on sale items)

2019 10% discount in the onboard shops

2023 10% discount in the Shops of Princess

Embarkation (As number of Platinum and Elite grew this changed to lines often being as long in the priority line than the regular line, changed even more with the medallion. Today it is basically a special waiting area for those that check in prior the ship being cleared and that waiting area boarding first.

2019 Priority check-in at embarkation: Platinum members plus anyone traveling with you in the same stateroom can go right to the Priority Check-In desk

2023 Priority Boarding

Those that have totally gone away

2019 No matter what kind of stateroom you’re in, the bathroom will be stocked with the upgraded amenities normally reserved only for Suite guests.

Edited by ldtr

Changes outside of Elite impacting long time cruisers. These benefits are outside of Elite, but were still coordinated by the Captains Circle Host. Some of these published on the web site, some just known by word of mouth of people that have received them.

Have been Eliminated

Milestone Cruises 50th, 75th and 100th cruise. The 50th was flowers, a bottle of champaigne, choc covered strawberries and an invitation for a bridge tour, including picture on bridge with Captain. Heard rumors of the 75 and 100 but cannot say for sure.

Loyalty OBC. Aditional OBC awarded every cruise credit starting at 21st at $25 increasing at increments after that.

21 - 30 cruises - $25 onboard cabin credit 31 - 40 cruises - $50 onboard cabin credit 41 - 50 cruises - $75 onboard cabin credit50+ cruises $100 - onboard cabin credit

Still Existing

Most traveled Luncheon for the top forty most traveled (usually 20 couples) individuals on board each cruise. This is a luncheon with some of the ships officers. Used to be top officers. These days tends to be more junior officers but varies by ship. Menu tends to be good.

Well done and thank you for an excellent post which demonstrates clearly that the real impact of changes in perks and amenities is pretty close to zero and confirms that the hundreds of posts on this board about erosion of benefits are completely out of proportion to the actual (versus perceived) losses.

The optimist in me hopes that this succinct presentation of the facts will bring the endless debate to a close.  The realist in me fears there is little to no chance of that.  Personally, I will continue to value and enjoy the many benefits Princess continues to offer me for continuing to cruise with them, which are much better than any of the other lines on which I have similar levels of 'loyalty' status.

• Like 5

How in heaven's name do you have the time and energy do all of this? 

I haven't the time nor the commitment to even read it all.  

I suppose it keeps you out of the bars at night! Carry on. 😀

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

How in heaven's name do you have the time and energy do all of this? 

I haven't the time nor the commitment to even read it all.  

I suppose it keeps you out of the bars at night! Carry on. 😀

Because some people make open ended claims about all of the benefits being cut.  Some others repeat what they have read.  So I am just providing the actual details on what has and has not been changed.  In reality there have not been many changes in Platinum and Elite (Internet being the main one).  

Only took about 5 minutes to put together.

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

Still Existing

Most traveled Luncheon for the top forty most traveled (usually 20 couples) individuals on board each cruise. This is a luncheon with some of the ships officers. Used to be top officers. These days tends to be more junior officers but varies by ship. Menu tends to be good.

On our recent Alaska cruise on the Crown Princess the Captain decided that he wanted a cocktail party for the most travelled passengers rather than a luncheon. His reasoning is that he wanted to be present. Cocktail party was held at 7:00 pm (right after we had finished dinner). Location was in the Adagio Bar which is not conducive for speaking to others or eating food. There was hors d'oeurves (beef sliders after you have finished dinner and dessert in the dining room) brought around which angered my wife as we just finished dinner and very little was eaten. I think that the junior officers ate more than the guests. There was a lot of wasted food. Captain Renzo Lembo chatted for a couple of minutes but spent most of his time at a different table. We were not impressed as we had experienced a luncheon only once before and were looking forward to a similar experience.

As we were on a B2B we were invited to another cocktail party. We declined and told the Captain Circle host and the Princess Brand Ambassador our opinion, in great detail. The cocktail party was all about the captain and not about the loyal passengers.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Barry H said:

On our recent Alaska cruise on the Crown Princess the Captain decided that he wanted a cocktail party for the most travelled passengers rather than a luncheon. His reasoning is that he wanted to be present. Cocktail party was held at 7:00 pm (right after we had finished dinner). Location was in the Adagio Bar which is not conducive for speaking to others or eating food. There was hors d'oeurves (beef sliders after you have finished dinner and dessert in the dining room) brought around which angered my wife as we just finished dinner and very little was eaten. I think that the junior officers ate more than the guests. There was a lot of wasted food. Captain Renzo Lembo chatted for a couple of minutes but spent most of his time at a different table. We were not impressed as we had experienced a luncheon only once before and were looking forward to a similar experience.

As we were on a B2B we were invited to another cocktail party. We declined and told the Captain Circle host and the Princess Brand Ambassador our opinion, in great detail. The cocktail party was all about the captain and not about the loyal passengers.

We were recently on the Majestic on a B2B. The Captain was not present at either luncheon, but 6-7 officers were.  Mostly Junior officers.  Had some nice discussions with a couple of officers.  Food was good.  The Officer slots are rotated.  They did comment that when they get the chance to attend that it is their best meal on board.  We are 50/50 if we accept or not these days.

Have seen quite a bit of variance between ships since the restart.  Some Captains are friendly and participate.  Some do not.  The Captain on the Majestic did not even pose for Pictures for the top 3 most traveled at the cocktail party. He showed up gave a short speech (same speech, same jokes both weeks). and let before the top 3 were announced.

@ldtr, the Milestone cruise recognitions originally was based on your ‘cruise credits’ but was revised to ‘number of days sailed’ starting at 500 days and then every 250 days. I think this recognition started the year Princess was celebrating 50 years, thus the first milestone was your 50th credit. Cruise credits are not necessarily your number of cruises because of additional credits given if sailing solo and or in a full suite. Bridge tours were also at the discretion of the Captain.

The Loyalty Command OBC of $100 was obtained on your 52nd credit.

It is at the discretion of the Captain whether he has a ‘luncheon’ or other type of event for the most traveled guests, based on number of days sailed ‘on Princess’. Years ago, Princess included days with P&O, but now only days on Princess are counted to qualify to make the cut.

Many people call this the Top40, but the criteria is actually the Top 20 and guest, if applicable. I travel solo many times and sometimes I have a guest and sometimes not. So the maximum invited is usually 40, but can be less when solo’s do not bring a guest.

I think most people knew this as the MTP (most traveled passenger) event, but it was then revised to be known as the MTG(most traveled guest) event.

For any couples or more in a cabin, whether they have the same number days or not, the highest number is used and they are counted as a unit, no matter if they are unrelated friends traveling together, so the other passenger(s) will normally be ‘the guest’ and their number of days does not matter.

• Like 2

You got an entire thread derailed because you posted this, and people refuted it with the benefit cuts to loyalty programs they have endured.  

Personally benefit cuts I have experienced now cost me over $200 a cruise.  

If you are happy with your benefit cuts you may keep your benefit cuts.

Edited by kywildcatfanone
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ldtr said:

Changes outside of Elite impacting long time cruisers. These benefits are outside of Elite, but were still coordinated by the Captains Circle Host. Some of these published on the web site, some just known by word of mouth of people that have received them.

Have been Eliminated

Milestone Cruises 50th, 75th and 100th cruise. The 50th was flowers, a bottle of champaigne, choc covered strawberries and an invitation for a bridge tour, including picture on bridge with Captain. Heard rumors of the 75 and 100 but cannot say for sure.

Loyalty OBC. Aditional OBC awarded every cruise credit starting at 21st at $25 increasing at increments after that.

21 - 30 cruises - $25 onboard cabin credit 31 - 40 cruises - $50 onboard cabin credit 41 - 50 cruises - $75 onboard cabin credit50+ cruises $100 - onboard cabin credit

Still Existing

They do not have top officers at the Most Traveled lunch so the captain and top brass do not get Covid 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barry H said:

By not sitting next to passengers for up to 2 hours the captain lessens his chance of getting covid 

3 hours ago, ldtr said:

Minor nit pick - I believe the 10% discount used to be valid even with sale items. Not that we buy a lot of jive anyway but I'm pretty sure I have seen folks stating that this was a change.

4 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Minor nit pick - I believe the 10% discount used to be valid even with sale items. Not that we buy a lot of jive anyway but I'm pretty sure I have seen folks stating that this was a change.

Yes it was valid for sale items before that was removed. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wallyj said:

@ldtr, the Milestone cruise recognitions originally was based on your ‘cruise credits’ but was revised to ‘number of days sailed’ starting at 500 days and then every 250 days. I think this recognition started the year Princess was celebrating 50 years, thus the first milestone was your 50th credit. Cruise credits are not necessarily your number of cruises because of additional credits given if sailing solo and or in a full suite. Bridge tours were also at the discretion of the Captain.

The Loyalty Command OBC of $100 was obtained on your 52nd credit.

It is at the discretion of the Captain whether he has a ‘luncheon’ or other type of event for the most traveled guests, based on number of days sailed ‘on Princess’. Years ago, Princess included days with P&O, but now only days on Princess are counted to qualify to make the cut.

Many people call this the Top40, but the criteria is actually the Top 20 and guest, if applicable. I travel solo many times and sometimes I have a guest and sometimes not. So the maximum invited is usually 40, but can be less when solo’s do not bring a guest.

I think most people knew this as the MTP (most traveled passenger) event, but it was then revised to be known as the MTG(most traveled guest) event.

For any couples or more in a cabin, whether they have the same number days or not, the highest number is used and they are counted as a unit, no matter if they are unrelated friends traveling together, so the other passenger(s) will normally be ‘the guest’ and their number of days does not matter.

I pulled that from a 2014 discussion on those days.  When it terminated we were at the $75 dollar level.  I did make sure that it did state cruise credit instead of just cruise when it laid out the value.

For these items above Elite we only found out about some of them when we received them.  They  were never consistently documented on the web site.  At least not where I could find them.  As such when you go back through old postings different people called them different things.

The funny thing is how numbers have grown over the years.  There are posts where people talked about the credits being low enough that some even got invited to the Luncheon before they hit Platinum.  Now have seen the cutoff over 600 on some cruises, though if one really wants to go the cut off on our last Alaska cruise a couple of weeks ago was 182.  Only 3% Elite and 80% first timers.

19 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Note I did  say that the change is that it is now longer valid on sail items.  For each year I list what is actually stated on the list of Benefits

Edited by ldtr

59 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I recall Platinum and Elite Lounges well before 2019. As in, at least 10 years before.

Did I miss your mention of the elimination of Elite toiletries? Because I keenly miss those four QTips for two people on a month long cruise. 

Yep it is there.  Very bottom of post 3

Those that have totally gone away

2019 No matter what kind of stateroom you’re in, the bathroom will be stocked with the upgraded amenities normally reserved only for Suite guests.

The Elite lounges were there, but it was not on the list of benefits for 2019.  Just as the line for Elite and Suites at customer service is not listed as a benefit.

1 hour ago, memoak said:

They do not have top officers at the Most Traveled lunch so the captain and top brass do not get Covid 

However some of the cruises I have been on have had the Captain present and the officers all higher ranking ones.    It seems to vary by ship and Captain, not a overall policy of the cruise line.

The Cruises where the Captain went to the luncheon, he also posed for pictures with the 3 most traveled.

3 hours ago, memoak said:

By not sitting next to passengers for up to 2 hours the captain lessens his chance of getting covid 

We noticed that to be case for the first couple of MTG events we were invited to post-Covid.  But on the Regal last month the officers once again were seated with guests at each table.  We had a fun conversation with the Brand Manager and it seemed like everything was as it was pre-Covid.

9 hours ago, ldtr said:

Have been Eliminated

Still Existing

Captain and all other top officers have attended our last 3 mtp lunch, and sat with passengers.